PDA

View Full Version : Sox Roster Trimmed To 28...

TimChamp
03-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Here's the link to the article...

3 Left To Cut... (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020325_rosterm oves_news&team_id=cws)

I think Wee Willie will not make the team if BOTH Liefer and Graff make the team...and then we would take 12 pitchers, with Porzio being the 12th man of the 12th hour... :)

Jerry_Manuel
03-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Parque is apart of the 28 so really it's 2 left to cut. Harris has the team made in my opinion. As Kermit pointed out in one of his columns, don't be surprised to see Rowand not make the team.

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Parque is apart of the 28 so really it's 2 left to cut. Harris has the team made in my opinion. As Kermit pointed out in one of his columns, don't be surprised to see Rowand not make the team.

I hope you're right. Also, can't Harris play CF in a pinch, too?

TimChamp
03-25-2002, 03:10 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard Rooney and Farmer say that Lorenzo Barcelo would also be like Parque and would have an extended ST...who would take that spot...our bullpen's starting to look even shakier than before...talk about a bad pitching staff...

And good point about Rowand...looks like Wee Willie might make the team after all... :o:

TimChamp
03-25-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

They tried him out in LF too...good thing Harris is more versatile than Paul or we might just have Paul making this team...whew...or will he? :?:

Jerry_Manuel
03-25-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Harris can play center, but from the times I've seen him he seems more cut out to be at 2nd. If Harris makes the team and Aaron doesn't, I'm sure Harris would be the defensive replacement for Lee.

Jerry_Manuel
03-25-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard Rooney and Farmer say that Lorenzo Barcelo would also be like Parque and would have an extended ST...who would take that spot...our bullpen's starting to look even shakier than before...talk about a bad pitching staff...

And good point about Rowand...looks like Wee Willie might make the team after all... :o:

I didn't hear that, but it may have been pure speculation on their part. I still don't see a trade happening, but you never know with Williams.

Kermit made the point about Aaron, I was just posting it. Either way this should be an interesting week.

RichH55
03-25-2002, 07:02 PM
HEY...I've been saying all along I thought Rowand would be in Triple A..of course I thought it was going to be because of Simmons emerging as the 4th OF....but lets focus on the positive:) Did anyone not think that both Liefer and Graff were going to make the team? This should not come as a surprise...looks like Kermit was right in that Harris is going to be the uber-utility guy...I hope it works(and I think it will)

baggio202
03-25-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
HEY...I've been saying all along I thought Rowand would be in Triple A..of course I thought it was going to be because of Simmons emerging as the 4th OF....but lets focus on the positive:) Did anyone not think that both Liefer and Graff were going to make the team? This should not come as a surprise...looks like Kermit was right in that Harris is going to be the uber-utility guy...I hope it works(and I think it will)

why would we send rowand to triple A??..he hit 293 last year in 123 at bats..a 385 obp..4 homers and 5 stolen bases...he is much more proven than harris....who has had a good spring at the plate but could be as bad an outfielder of carlos lee...if thats possible..as far as spring training goes..its not like rowand is hitting 037 and harris 500...harris is at 312 and rowand 286...id like to see harris hit 300 against AAA pitching..he has never played at that level...julio ramirez hit 364 last year...remeber him??

i really think porzio needs to be that 25th guy....not just because of his spring training performances (btw..today he pitched one scoreless inning - it was his 2nd day of a back to back outing - he is the first sox reliever to pitch 2 days in a row with getting hammered the 2nd day)...but because he is the only healthy arm outside of foulke...man our bullpen looks like ______ fill it in yourselves ...i need a beer :gulp: ..or 2 :gulp: :gulp:

TimChamp
03-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
today he pitched one scoreless inning - it was his 2nd day of a back to back outing - he is the first sox reliever to pitch 2 days in a row with getting hammered the 2nd day

Didn't Osuna have a streak of 5 1/3 innings of scoreless relief at one point? :?:

But still, IMHO, I think Porzio's going to make it, Jerry would be nuts to think that Wunsch can do it... :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

foulkesfan11
03-25-2002, 11:46 PM
I feel bad for Crede. He's definitely talented enough for a starting spot. Maybe someone will get hurt & he'll come up.

CLR01
03-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
I feel bad for Crede. He's definitely talented enough for a starting spot. Maybe someone will get hurt & he'll come up.

Unless it is Jose or Royce it wouldn't be worth calling him up to waste away on the bench.

RichH55
03-26-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

why would we send rowand to triple A??..he hit 293 last year in 123 at bats..a 385 obp..4 homers and 5 stolen bases...he is much more proven than harris....who has had a good spring at the plate but could be as bad an outfielder of carlos lee...if thats possible..as far as spring training goes..its not like rowand is hitting 037 and harris 500...harris is at 312 and rowand 286...id like to see harris hit 300 against AAA pitching..he has never played at that level...julio ramirez hit 364 last year...remeber him??

i really think porzio needs to be that 25th guy....not just because of his spring training performances (btw..today he pitched one scoreless inning - it was his 2nd day of a back to back outing - he is the first sox reliever to pitch 2 days in a row with getting hammered the 2nd day)...but because he is the only healthy arm outside of foulke...man our bullpen looks like ______ fill it in yourselves ...i need a beer :gulp: ..or 2 :gulp: :gulp:

Rowand is far from proven at the major league level...and since this isn't for starting CF like the Ramirez situation than Harris brings more to the table seeing as his role is Uber-utility guy, plus the fact that Harris appears to be having the better spring and Lofton is also having a great spring(thereby needing less at-bats for the 4th OF) means Rowand is better served by getting at-bats in triple-A...I thought the same thing before camp, only with Simmons as the 4th OF....it makes more sense to get Harris in there and let him do the things he can do for you than to waste Rowand on the bench(where his value is the most limited)....If the pitching situation doesnt work itself out than Rowand is one of the more valuable commodities, so I wouldnt be surprised to see him dealt either...but playing every 5th day isnt going to send his value skyrocketing either.

And Kermit/others will know this better than I...but Harris was regarded as a much better prospect/hitter coming out of the minors than Ramirez ever was so thats kind of an apples and oranges situation

moochpuppy
03-26-2002, 08:18 AM

Harris can play center, but from the times I've seen him he seems more cut out to be at 2nd. If Harris makes the team and Aaron doesn't, I'm sure Harris would be the defensive replacement for Lee.

He'll make a good late innings pinch runner as well.

RedPinStripes
03-26-2002, 08:25 AM
I still don't think Harris should be here instead of Aaron.

CiscoCarlos
03-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Unless it is Jose or Royce it wouldn't be worth calling him up to waste away on the bench.

I agree. All the moves made by Manuel yesterday made sense.

I hope the Sox keep Harris--a defensive liability, but a much-needed sparkplug. As for keeping 12 pitchers that limits the rest of the team too much. 11 is plenty for any team and no matter what they do, the USAir flights between Midway and Charlotte will be quite busy this summer with Sox pitchers going one way or the other. My guess is Wright will go down in May after several unsuccessful outings putting the light-air theory to ridicule.

In the meantime, whomever winds up as the long reliever is likely to be the busiest pitcher on the Sox staff. So in a way Howry's apparent role becomes more important than his role last year as a set-up man.