PDA

View Full Version : When do you begin watching the standings?

downstairs
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I noticed that I really haven't paid attention to the standings yet. Its too early, but its getting to the point where things are becoming more solid and "real".

Curious when everyone else thinks its worth their time to actually worry where we are in the standings and start watching the scoreboard closely?

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I began looking at the standings opening week. Yeah I know, it's early and I realize that. I like to know what the league around us is doing.

DickAllen72
04-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I start after the first game of the season.

MCHSoxFan
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM
As soon as the season opens up. I do it everyday, all day (I am on there ALL the time even if they do not change!!!) I know it early, but I like to see where we stand. If I were a KC fan, I knew we stand it a baaad place.

JB98
04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Opening Day.

sox1970
04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Most years, I'm checking every day. This year, I'm not scoreboard watching much, and I'm not checking the standings too much. As long as the Sox are getting their wins, they'll be in it. It's probably just going to come down to the team that plays the best in September will win the division.

downstairs
04-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Hmmmm... I don't mean just looking at them... but taking them seriously.

Like, we're in 4th place right now... but who cares... 2 games separates everyone.

If we're in 4th place in July, we're in big trouble (i.e. the season is pretty much done).

When do you start taking our placement seriously?

MCHSoxFan
04-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Most years, I'm checking every day. This year, I'm not scoreboard watching much, and I'm not checking the standings too much. As long as the Sox are getting their wins, they'll be in it. It's probably just going to come down to the team that plays the best in September will win the division.

They way everyone is playing now, that is the way it seems. Let's just hope it is the Sox!!! I think us, the Twins, and maybe the Indians will be at the top. Definitly us and the Twins. Not sure on CLE/DET.

MCHSoxFan
04-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Like, we're in 4th place right now... but who cares... 2 games separates everyone.

If we're in 4th place in July, we're in big trouble (i.e. the season is pretty much done).

I start taking them seriously when we go deep into the season. As you said already, July. Either that, or, when we are more than 1-2.5 games behind first. If we were 7 games out now, I would be REAL SERIOUS.

Jason82807
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
I look at them every day, but I don't really get worked up about them until around the all-star break.

Scottiehaswheels
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I keep an eye on them daily for reasons of my own...

MarySwiss
04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
After Opening Day.

BiggestFan14
04-23-2007, 06:40 PM
I look at them daily, but not seriously until about half way through.

gobears1987
04-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I look at them daily, but not seriously until about half way through.If it's close, I'll do that. I do take them seriously early on if we are + or - 10

balke
04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I look now, but try and see what's going to happen per roster. Like right now I see Minnesota is there, but that starting pitching can't keep them winning that many games I don't think. I also don't see Philly sitting at the bottom of the NL all season.

Standings are always important. Especially when we seem to miss the playoffs by about 5 games or less, the earlier we pay attention the better. Its not good to fall behind. Gotta win the close ones all season.

oeo
04-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Not necessarily...what if only two games still separate us?

It's too early to be worried about the standings right now. There are some teams that get off to fast starts, but just are not very good (and vice versa). Usually by the end of May you will see who the contenders are and who the pretenders were.

PalehosePlanet
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
About mid June I start taking them seriously. I only look at the standings early and take them seriously if someone gets off to a super high-flying type start -- like Detroit last year, or us in '05; that can be trouble. So long as we can avoid a bad start and no one gets off to a great start, I don't pay too much attention.

zach074
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I started looking at the standings once we won a game.

BRDSR
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I take them seriously every day. Today's game for all five AL Central teams will mean as much as their games do on the 23rd of every month between now and September.

Losing a game of ground in the standings today is one more we have to make up after today. Ever game we gain is one that we can afford to lose later in the season. They're all worth the same.

And on that note, the current magic number is 147.

Bucky F. Dent
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
I start looking at game one.....Just look at 2005. Had we not had such a strong April, we could have lost it all in August and September.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I look at them occasionally the first month or so. I start to take them seriously around the middle of May.

Whitesox029
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
When I was 6 1/2 years old.

Oh, you mean each season! Day after opening day! You can't spend much time looking then, but it's fun to look at everyone's splits by midseason.

Seriously though, in terms of worrying about who's in first, I watch in April but I know it doesn't mean much. I don't get really into it until the late part of May.

The Dude
04-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I noticed that I really haven't paid attention to the standings yet. Its too early, but its getting to the point where things are becoming more solid and "real".

Curious when everyone else thinks its worth their time to actually worry where we are in the standings and start watching the scoreboard closely?

After opening day.

StillMissOzzie
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I start paying closer attention towards Memorial Day, at the end of May. That at about the 25% mark, and the better teams are rising by then and the crapola teams start sinking by then.

That said, I can remember it wasn't all that long ago that, after a crappy start to the season, the Sox were pretty much out of it by the end of May. That's always a discouraging sign. It's so much better to still be in the thick of a division race, if not leading by then.

SMO
:gulp:

dcb56
04-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Sometime between mid and late May.

Jurr
04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
That's what makes the MLB.Tv or EI packages so fun. Immediately, I begin watching Twins/Tribe/Tigers games to see what they're doing. Over the last several years, I have learned to acquire almost as much glee from watching the Twins broadcasters suffer through a loss as Hawk and DJ enjoying a Sox win. Almost.

The great thing is listening to those schlubs try to play the role of unbiased observer while they're clearly upset. At least Hawk wears his emotions on his sleeve, as we all do.

Murphy10
04-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I start after we get through ten games of the season. Because that's when you can always start looking at what the teams have done in there past ten games, and that will really give you an idea about how good/bad they have been playing lately.
Also my friends are always dependant on me for what teams records are so I always have to know it.

Law11
04-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Great thread I was just thinking this..
Talk about a division up for grabs this year...
I dont see the WC coming out of here..
4 teams to be beating the crap out of each other all year...

Autta be fun...Get out the Rolaids...

Madvora
04-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Two teams tied for 1st and two teams 1/2 game back right now.
Indians and Twins went 12 innings yesterday. I hope they can wear eachother out while we keep climbing up the ladder.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Game 1 - to see how we are against the rest of the league, who's streaking, who's not, etc.

I have to say, ever since joining this baseball site I watch ALOT more baseball (besides Sox games) because there are alot of good games to watch where you do not need emotional interest. Being a member here has helped me watch the game differently, and FEEL more educated (feeling and being are two different things, I know!)....

spiffie
04-24-2007, 09:27 AM
I look at them very closely, but I don't worry about our placement so much as the deficit. The fact we're technically in fourth place right now is meaningless. But I never want the hole to get that big.

I remember reading something that was looking at the NL (the AL might be slightly higher in these numbers) but of teams 5 or more back by the first week of May, since MLB went to three divisions in each league, only twice has a team ever recovered to make the playoffs.

As long as we're close, I don't fret too much on the daily movement, but I never want to see us drop to where we would need to string together a 22-5 month or something just to be back in the race.