PDA

View Full Version : Rare Sox Radio Experience

WisSoxFan
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I hope this belongs on this board.

Living in SW Wisconsin I don't get the Sox on the radio very often and when I do it's not very clear. I've read all the comments about Farmer and his home run "predictions", but had never experienced it first hand...until yesterday.

I was driving home from Madison and could listen to the game a little. In the 8th he talked about home runs for three of the first four hitters and the only one he didn't mention a dinger on was, of course, Crede. Made me laugh.

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
You need XM.:D:

HotelWhiteSox
04-23-2007, 01:32 PM
It's starting to rub on to Singleton too.

'A bloop and a blast' or 'oh for the long ball here' are getting as annoying as Mike Breen's 'Puts it in!' when he does NBA. It's still kind of funny though

SBSoxFan
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
During Saturday's game, Farmer mentioned there was a fan drinking beer and eating cotton candy. "I don't think that's a very good combination," Farmer said. Then he spent the next couple of minutes trying to describe to Singleton where the fan was sitting so Singleton could see for himself. It was funny, in a silly way. :D:

Phil Bradley
04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
During Saturday's game, Farmer mentioned there was a fan drinking beer and eating cotton candy. "I don't think that's a very good combination," Farmer said. Then he spent the next couple of minutes trying to describe to Singleton where the fan was sitting so Singleton could see for himself. It was funny, in a silly way. :D:

To each their own. That's what I don't like about Farmer. I don't care what a fan is eating, tell me about the game, which is why I am listening. I think they should give Ed 5 minutes before each game and he can call it "The Way I see it by Ed Farmer"

SBSoxFan
04-23-2007, 01:47 PM
To each their own. That's what I don't like about Farmer. I don't care what a fan is eating, tell me about the game, which is why I am listening. I think they should give Ed 5 minutes before each game and he can call it "The Way I see it by Ed Farmer"

Ha, that's pretty funny! Did you hear the 9th of Mark's no-no? Farmer was great. As I posted in another thread, too bad it took a no-hitter to get him excited.

chisoxfanatic
04-23-2007, 01:47 PM

Agreed. Just as bad as Santo giving a monologue on how to peel an orange. Superfluous! Interviews on the radio suck as well. Nothing but the game at hand should be talked about, since people can't even SEE the action that's going on. Leave the interviews and sidebars to the television, when people can still see what's going on.

soxfan13
04-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Agreed. Just as bad as Santo giving a monologue on how to peel an orange. Superfluous! Interviews on the radio suck as well. Nothing but the game at hand should be talked about, since people can't even SEE the action that's going on. Leave the interviews and sidebars to the television, when people can still see what's going on.

So is there dead silence in between pitches?:?:

skottyj242
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Strike one.

*silence*

Hit to left, man on first.

*silence*

Home Run

*silence*

The Chicago White Sox are winning the game two to nothing.

*silence*

I love Farmer and the banter him and Singleton have. It's entertaining.

Phil Bradley
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM

No, there shouldn't be silence but talk about something from the game. I don't want to hear about Ed's round at Ruffled Feathers or what some fan is eating. Farmer is in love with the sound of his own voice and will talk just to talk. Sometimes silence is golden. But some people like Farmer's announcing style and I respect that.

downstairs
04-23-2007, 06:08 PM
No, there shouldn't be silence but talk about something from the game. I don't want to hear about Ed's round at Ruffled Feathers or what some fan is eating. Farmer is in love with the sound of his own voice and will talk just to talk. Sometimes silence is golden. But some people like Farmer's announcing style and I respect that.

The game is 2-3 hours long! How much information do you want? If they focused only on the game, you'd be numb with the bizarre stats and situations they'd have to dig up.

MDF3530
04-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Strike one.

*silence*

*silence*

Home Run

*silence*

*silence*:DJ "That's more color than I can provide."

gobears1987
04-23-2007, 06:49 PM
:DJ "That's more color than I can provide.":DJ
Uh OH!

ET, phone home

chisoxfanatic
04-23-2007, 08:36 PM
The game is 2-3 hours long! How much information do you want? If they focused only on the game, you'd be numb with the bizarre stats and situations they'd have to dig up.
That would actually be cool to hear bizarre stats and such. Those weird, wacky things you don't commonly hear about. Thank God I don't have to listen to the radio unless I'm in the car.

Eddo144
04-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I, too, live in SW Wisconsin (Madison), so I am resigned to only getting to experience live action while driving (my in-house radio doesn't pick up the Score). I don't mind Farmer and Singleton, in general, and I don't ask for too much.

However, I will say that Farmer does need to work on his play-by-play. I know we were spoiled by Rooney for all those years, but it seems like Farmer never gives the score. It's so frustrating to turn on a game, listen to some action, and not get the score until the half-inning is over (unless a run is scored before then). I recall that Rooney was always repeating the basics - the count, the score, what inning. It's probably that Farmio is so used to doing the color commentary that he doesn't instinctually recite those facts. I'd like to see, er, hear Singleton step up and try doing this more often, as I fear that with Farmio it may be a case of trying to teach an old dog new tricks. :redneck

soxfan13
04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
That would actually be cool to hear bizarre stats and such. Those weird, wacky things you don't commonly hear about. Thank God I don't have to listen to the radio unless I'm in the car.

What would that have to do with the actual game at hand?:?:

stl_sox_fan
04-24-2007, 10:05 AM
They need to take a lesson from Harry Caray. Start spelling player's names backwards.

Gold, Jerry, Gold!!!
http://www.siyumhaseinfeld.com/images/chars/bania2.jpg

johnr1note
04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Strike one.

*silence*

*silence*

Home Run

*silence*

*silence*

I love Farmer and the banter him and Singleton have. It's entertaining.

I have to vehemently disagree. If you want that kind of entertainment, tune into Santo and Hughes.

My biggest complaint about the current White Sox radio team is a lack "what's happening now" information. I am eternally grateful for XM, because the radio display gives me the inning, score and the number of outs. If you're just listening to the WSCR play by play, your lucky if you get the score when they break for a commercial.

Harry Carrey, when he was in his prime with the Cardinals and the White Sox, was the master of this. No once could ever accuse Harry of being boring, or of leaving huge gaps of silence in the broadcast. There were many times when he would go off on tangents that makes the aforementioned discussion of beer with cotten candy sound like a doctoral thesis. But one thing you could depend upon -- Harry was always on top of the game. Every few minutes, he would stop and make sure the listener was aware of what was going on during the broadcast. It would come in short bursts. "We're in the top of the fifth, 5-4 White Sox" "Runners at the corners, two out" It was like clockwork. If you were like me, and business, church, or family commitments keep you from enjoying the broadcast as an ongoing, unfolding production, and all you have time for is a brief interlude in the car between appointments, and you'd lke to know the score of the game -- you could depend on Harry to get you that information within a few moments. Waiting for it with "never pause to take a breath while I talk about myself" Farmer is interminably frustrating.

I challenge anyone to listen to the broadcast with an eye towards the delivery of this basic information. Some of you might say, "Hey, I'm into the game, I don't need to be reminded all the time." The problem is, its so easy to get distracted (i.e. you're doing chores in the house while listening) or you just don't have time to sit, and you want information.

The other night, I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, and tuned in. Commercials were playing, and I thought, "I'll get the score when they come out of break." Not hardly. Singleton started with some sort of promotional piece, the two of them started joking about the ad, and then they just fell into calling the game as the first pitch was thrown. I did not know what the score was until after the third out, when they went to the NEXT commercial break. That, in my humble opinion, is bad baseball broadcasting. It shows a laziness and disrespect for the fans.

We deserve so much better than the current radio team. And the current flagship station (what a joke!). It would be a rare radio experience where Sox fans could get a well called game AND entertainment from the announcers. Instead, we get the introspective musings of Farmer, who thinks an awful lot of himself, and the babblings of Singleton (who is getting better, I will admit) who still has trouble actually describing the events of a game as they unfold.

KenBerryGrab
04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I, too, live in SW Wisconsin (Madison), so I am resigned to only getting to experience live action while driving (my in-house radio doesn't pick up the Score). I don't mind Farmer and Singleton, in general, and I don't ask for too much.

Wow. I'm in Madison, and I get 670 strong most all the time, on a transistor (!), a vintage Harman-Kardon 430 receiver and a GE Superadio II. That last one used to pull in AM 1000, too, and THAT was a trick.

You Wisconsinites should check out a Superadio. The latest version retails for between $50 and $60, and they have the most sensitive AM band tuning around.
http://media.incomsupply.com/products/667757.gif

WisSoxFan
04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
My favorite Harry Cary "moment". A good friend of mine and I are driving from a golf course to the bar (about 4 miles). He's a Cub fan so we have them on the radio. As we pull out of the golf course parking lot Harry tells us who is up and then proceeds to start talking. About what I don't remember, but there is nary a word about the game until we are almost to our destination when out of nowhere Harry says "Swing and a miss. He struck him out".

johnr1note
04-24-2007, 12:00 PM
My favorite Harry Cary "moment". A good friend of mine and I are driving from a golf course to the bar (about 4 miles). He's a Cub fan so we have them on the radio. As we pull out of the golf course parking lot Harry tells us who is up and then proceeds to start talking. About what I don't remember, but there is nary a word about the game until we are almost to our destination when out of nowhere Harry says "Swing and a miss. He struck him out".

I use Harry Carrey "in his prime" as the example for how someone should call a game, not the past-his-retirement befuddled version of Harry calling Cubs games late in his career.

If you want a classic example of Harry at his crisp best, listen to his call of Stan Musial's 3000th hit -- it must be available somewhere on the internet. In that brief description, you get the drama of the potential for Stan's milestone moment with the facts of the game in a seemless web. Ed Farmer is a butcher by comparison.

WisSoxFan
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
john - I certainly wasn't trying to poke holes in your post. Simply sharing what I thought was an amusing anecdote about the latter day Harry and his ineffectiveness. I grew up listening to Harry as the Sox announcer and enjoyed him then.