PDA

View Full Version : Sox best Pen in MLB?

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2007, 06:30 PM
I sure can say with a straight face that the Sox have one of, if not the best bullpen in MLB. Sisco, Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Masset, Logan, and dominating Aardsma have all been HUGE in gaining victories for us. In fact, I'd say that the bullpen can be credited with roughly half of our victories. This leads us to the big question here...Do you think the Sox' bullpen is the best in the game right now?

I can honestly say that I think so.

itsnotrequired
04-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Top 3, that's for sure. Boston's bullpen is pretty decent but hasn't seen as much action as the Sox pen. Yankees bullpen is pretty good as well. They lost several games but that was more situational than anything. Yankee pen has really stepped up due to the starting pitching problems.

ESPN conspiracy.

slobes
04-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I sure can say with a straight face that the Sox have one of, if not the best bullpen in MLB. Sisco, Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Masset, Logan, and dominating Aardsma have all been HUGE in gaining victories for us. In fact, I'd say that the bullpen can be credited with roughly half of our victories. This leads us to the big question here...Do you think the Sox' bullpen is the best in the game right now?

The new acquisitions in the pen have been AWESOME for us this year. Especially since it's looking like Bobby's meltdown in Oakland isn't going to be an every day thing, I think our bullpen is definitely up there.

tick53
04-21-2007, 07:21 PM
They are looking good aren't they. It's a little early to tell yet, but they sure have the potential to be the best. I like it.:smile:

TDog
04-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Bullpens are fragile. Most relievers have inconsistent careers. The Sox had a great bullpen in 2005 because Politte and Cotts turned in their best seasons. This year, Aardsma, MacDougal, and Sisco look like they are living up to their promise. Hopefully, Thornton and Jenks will continue to perform as they have shown they can. Masset seems to be able to come in for a few innings and get outs when the starter doesn't go deep enough into the game. Having a great bullpen would mean all these pitchers have to perform at their best for six (or better yet, seven) months.

Another thing that contributes to a great bullpen is a starting rotation that limits its use. I would love to see Aardsma strike out hitters every day, but if he pitches every day, hitters will get used to him and he won't be as sharp.

You can put together smart pitchers and good arms, but you won't know if you have a great bullpen until the season is over.

JB98
04-21-2007, 07:51 PM

I hope that we can make this claim in October.

oeo
04-21-2007, 09:10 PM
These guys still have something to prove. A good April is nice, but we need to see if they're going to be consistently good. I personally think they will, but I wouldn't name them the best bullpen in baseball (at least not yet).

kevingrt
04-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I think right know if anyone has watched our bullpen versus others that it would be tough to argue we are not a top three bullpen. Every position in our bullpen has been dominate so far this year.

UserNameBlank
04-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Facing Zumaya yesterday gave me more faith in our pen even though I already think it is awesome. Being a flmaethrower, after virtually every pitch the announce crew gave the rating on the gun over the air, and the Comcast reading was a steady 2-3 mph slower than the actual gun readings. Now it makes more sense and our guys are throwing mid to high ninties.

I love this pen. I love this starting rotation. I love 23 of the players on this team. Watch out, American League!

balke
04-22-2007, 11:28 AM
The bullpen is sick, absolutely. Best this or best that, that's a title earned. Right now if I'm the opposition, I don't want to get to the pen early with the Sox.

I don't know if we have a Nathan just yet though. As far as the 1-2 punch at the end of the game if you're holding onto a lead, the Twins and Angels and Rangers have great top tier pitchers filling out the pen. Rangers now have Otsuka, and Gagne, and the A's have great close-out combos as well.

To be such a deep pen, It looks like we are a top team. But in terms of the last inning, or the last 2 innings of the game, we might not be the strongest. We are still strong though, Macdougal Jenks and Aardsma can certainly get through a large amount of ninths without giving up a run.

The Immigrant
04-22-2007, 11:36 AM
The Twins, Angels, A's, Red Sox, Yankees and even the Tigers all have solid bullpens, but I do like what I've seen from ours so far. Best of all, our bullpen consists of young guys with minimal service time and/or favorable contracts, who (barring injury) should be around for a very long time.

TDog
04-22-2007, 11:46 AM
The Twins, Angels, A's, Red Sox, Yankees and even the Tigers all have solid bullpens, but I do like what I've seen from ours so far. Best of all, our bullpen consists of young guys with minimal service time and/or favorable contracts, who (barring injury) should be around for a very long time.

The Tigers have played the White Sox twice this season. Twice the bullpen has given up the lead after the fifth inning. That's a small sample, but that doesn't sound solid.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Facing Zumaya yesterday gave me more faith in our pen even though I already think it is awesome. Being a flmaethrower, after virtually every pitch the announce crew gave the rating on the gun over the air, and the Comcast reading was a steady 2-3 mph slower than the actual gun readings. Now it makes more sense and our guys are throwing mid to high ninties.

I love this pen. I love this starting rotation. I love 23 of the players on this team. Watch out, American League!

Why not love all the players?

Chicken Dinner
04-22-2007, 04:20 PM

Well, i guess this thread jinxed us.:o:

chisoxfanatic
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM

True Sox fans don't believe in jinxes!

Brian26
04-22-2007, 04:59 PM
True Sox fans don't believe in jinxes!

I'll never start believing in jinxes!!!

TDog
04-22-2007, 05:13 PM

If you read my post from yesterday, you might find more insightful analysis than jinx. You could even read it as a prediction.

But I wouldn't have put Jenks in to pitch the ninth today , either. Even the best closers need days off once in a while.