PDA

View Full Version : SOX vs. Americans/Pilgrims

grizzbr
04-21-2007, 12:40 PM
It seems that all of the internet sports sights ie. Fox, SI, ESPN constantly refer to Boston in their headlines as the SOX and us as the Chisox.

For the record, we are the original "SOX" (1901-present) while Boston was the Americans (1901-1902 and the Pilgrims(1903-1906) before they adopted Red Sox for the 1907 season. Even the fact that our team name is prominently displayed on our hats while theirs is a "B" reinforces this. I continue to email these sights to remind them of this important fact that WE are the "SOX" first and foremost.

oldcomiskey
04-21-2007, 04:48 PM
thats because as George Will put in Ken Burns baseball--they are written about ---to death.

Thome25
04-21-2007, 04:56 PM
One of the many reasons I HATE the Red Sox.....they stole our name!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Boston was also called the "Beaneaters" at one time during their early years.

Newsflash to all the media outlets out there:

WE ARE THE SOX....NOT THOSE ASSHATS FROM BOSTON!!!

eastchicagosoxfan
04-21-2007, 05:06 PM
One of the many reasons I HATE the Red Sox.....they stole our name!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Boston was also called the "Beaneaters" at one time during their early years.

Newsflash to all the media outlets out there:

WE ARE THE SOX....NOT THOSE ASSHATS FROM BOSTON!!!
I believe the Beaneaters were the National League team featuring the Wright brothers ( of baseball fame ), as well as the great teams of the 1890's. Regardless, go Bluejays, and may someone other than the Big Two get the wildcard.

JermaineDye05
04-21-2007, 05:07 PM
this just adds fuel to the fire of my hate for the Red Sox.

MrRoboto83
04-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I would rather be called the White Stockings.

Thome25
04-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I believe the Beaneaters were the National League team featuring the Wright brothers ( of baseball fame ), as well as the great teams of the 1890's. Regardless, go Bluejays, and may someone other than the Big Two get the wildcard.

Quote per "Baseball Uniforms Of the 20th Century" By Mark Okkonen:

"Americans was the the name used to distinguish this team from the Boston National League club. Unofficial nicknames for the club (used by newspapers) also included "Pilgrims", "Puritans", and "Beaneaters".

Alot of teams got their early nicknames from newspaper writers.

While the White Sox was their name from the very beginning (IMO White Stockings is still White Sox because "Sox" is short for stockings.) The Red Sox went through several names including Americans, Pilgrims, Puritans, and Beaneaters before they settled on their current one.

We are the ONE AND ONLY, ORIGINAL Sox.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Quote per "Baseball Uniforms Of the 20th Century" By Mark Okkonen:

Alot of teams got their early nicknames from newspaper writers.

While the White Sox was their name from the very beginning (IMO White Stockings is still White Sox because "Sox" is short for stockings.) The Red Sox went through several names including Americans, Pilgrims, Puritans, and Beaneaters before they settled on their current one.

We are the ONE AND ONLY, ORIGINAL Sox.
It looks like both Boston teams used this nickname. It was used by the NL team for several years too.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/bosbraves/BosBraves.html

Thome25
04-21-2007, 06:32 PM
It looks like both Boston teams used this nickname. It was used by the NL team for several years too.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/bosbraves/BosBraves.html

Sounds like a similar situation to Chicago's: The Cubs were called the White Stockings and then the Sox adopted it in 1900.

Looks like Boston's teams may have done the same thing. Thanks for the heads up.

johnr1note
04-21-2007, 06:50 PM
According to the official MLB records, Boston's AL franchise was known as the "Americans" from 1901-07. They officially became the "Red Sox" in 1908.

From 1876-82, Boston's NL team was known as the "Red Caps," then the "Beaneaters" from 1883 through 1906. In 1907 they became the "Doves." In 1911 they briefly became the "Rustlers," then in 1912, the "Braves."

LITTLE NELL
04-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I retired to the Ft Myers Florida area from Chicago. Because the Red Sox train down here there are far too many Red Sox fans. They are the most obnoxious fans on earth. Cub fans are like saints compared to these people.
I constantly remind them that our Sox are the real Sox and there would not be any Red Sox or American League if it wasnt for Charles Comiskey.Ran into 2 Bosox fans today and they claimed that last nights Yankee-Red Sox game was the best ever. I told them the El Duque win in the 05 playoffs was the best ever. That shuts them up fast.

TornLabrum
04-22-2007, 09:04 AM
According to the official MLB records, Boston's AL franchise was known as the "Americans" from 1901-07. They officially became the "Red Sox" in 1908.

From 1876-82, Boston's NL team was known as the "Red Caps," then the "Beaneaters" from 1883 through 1906. In 1907 they became the "Doves." In 1911 they briefly became the "Rustlers," then in 1912, the "Braves."

Before 1876 while in the National Association, the Boston team that became the Red Caps were known as the Red Stockings, a name they co-opted from Cincinnati when they hired away most of the best of that club after they finally lost a game and the magic was lost.

I'm too lazy right now to look up the years (also I have to leave in a few minutes), but there was a time in the late '30s or (more likely) the early '40s) when the Braves were known as the Bees, and Braves Field was known as The Hive. That didn't last long.

Puritans and Pilgrims were probably unofficial names of the current Red Sox pinned on them by newspapers. Photos of early uniforms show a large BA across the jersey front. It was newspapers who shortened the name of Comiskey's White Stockings to White Sox or just Sox by about 1902.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Sounds like a similar situation to Chicago's: The Cubs were called the White Stockings and then the Sox adopted it in 1900.

Looks like Boston's teams may have done the same thing. Thanks for the heads up.

[Cubs fan]Stupid Sox fans! Always stealing from the Cubs![/Cubs fan]

Honestly, I could care less what the national media thinks about the Sox. TO hate the Red Sox over this is goofy.

PeteWard
04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
And what exactly is "Carmines"? I never heard that before 3 or 4 years ago.
Little help?

itsnotrequired
04-22-2007, 09:45 AM
And what exactly is "Carmines"? I never heard that before 3 or 4 years ago.
Little help?

Carmine is another name for red. It is like calling the White Sox the "Pale Hose". It's just a nickname.

TornLabrum
04-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Carmine is another name for red. It is like calling the White Sox the "Pale Hose". It's just a nickname.

More specifically it's a particular shade (or is it hue? I never could figure that out) of red. I've never heard anyone but Hawk call Boston the Carmines.

theoakwoody
04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
I understand that they stole our name but also the spelling? Why can't they be the Red Socks? Or even the Red Cox(Pronounced Sox).:redneck

dcb56
04-23-2007, 12:21 AM
[Cubs fan]Stupid Sox fans! Always stealing from the Cubs![/Cubs fan]

Honestly, I could care less what the national media thinks about the Sox. TO hate the Red Sox over this is goofy.

Seriously, I don't understand what the BFD is but whatever. The White Sox weren't the first team to put a version of the word socks in their team name nor were they the last. I like to spew hatred toward ESPN and their bias as much as the next guy, but it seems like some are stretching for reasons to pile on. For those who are offended enough to write ESPN, keep it up, I'm sure you're giving whoever reads your emails a good chuckle.