PDA

View Full Version : Cubs fan stereotypes

Bobapples1993
04-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Why do all of you guys think that every Cubs fan is an aloholic that just goes to the games to drink and doesn't even know about baseball?

RadioheadRocks
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Why do all of you guys think that every Cubs fan is an aloholic that just goes to the games to drink and doesn't even know about baseball?

Why is it that whenever I see a duck I expect it to quack?

Bobapples1993
04-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Huh?:?:

WhiteSox5187
04-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I think there oughta be a distinction between Cub fans and the people who go to Wrigley Field. I have a couple of friends who are Cub fans and one is quite knowledgeable about the game. But the people who go to Wrigley Field in the middle of July when the Cubs are about eighteen games back, they're not real fans. They're tourists or people who know nothing about baseball. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Bobapples1993
04-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I just can't stand it when people think all Cubs fans are drunk crazy guys. :angry:

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2007, 11:59 PM
I just can't stand it when people think all Cubs fans are drunk crazy guys. :angry: I thought Cubs fans didn't care about the Sox or their fans.

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 12:01 AM
It's not just Sox, many other people say that crap too.

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2007, 12:04 AM
It's not just Sox, many other people say that crap too.I could be wrong, but I think you may be in the wrong place to look for sympathy.

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm not looking for sympathy, I just thought I would talk about the cubs on a board for talking about the cubs.

Frontman
04-21-2007, 06:31 AM
The reasons behind the Cubs stereotype is simple. Even though Wrigley is falling apart, the organization wouldn't dare move out of it. If the Cubs did, they would lose most of their fanbase/customers. The Cubs are worth the 700 million due to their location and their history of loosing, not because they have any chance of winning each season. And for all the money spent this season, I don't see Lou Pinella being able to make it happen if the team keeps playing stupid.

Plus, when you hear things like "The Cubs need EXCITEMENT back on the North Side, we need them to trade for Sammy Sosa;" that doesn't sound like an intelligent baseball fan. That sounds like someone who just wants homers, for Len Kasper to give "Aaaannnnnd its outta here!" in his Marvin the Martian voice, and who cares if we win it, boy howdy wasn't it fun to see a homer mentality.

Also, when you're biggest example of a die-hard Cubs fan is this guy:

Who brags about being a bleacher bum, he was there when attendance was 3,000 yadda-yadda-yadda; when he really is much more knowledgable about the game; yet focuses on the mundane and the stupid that comes out of the Cub organization; you don't have the best picture for the world to see.

Or, as someone else put it, if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it probably is a duck.

itsnotrequired
04-21-2007, 07:59 AM
"What's The Score" produces another gem.

:rolleyes:

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Plus, when you hear things like "The Cubs need EXCITEMENT back on the North Side, we need them to trade for Sammy Sosa;" that doesn't sound like an intelligent baseball fan. That sounds like someone who just wants homers, for Len Kasper to give "Aaaannnnnd its outta here!" in his Marvin the Martian voice,

So you think the Hawk is a good anouncer?:?:

FarWestChicago
04-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Why do all of you guys think that every Cubs fan is an aloholic that just goes to the games to drink and doesn't even know about baseball?We don't all think that. Ironically, you have posted in the Sox Fan Stereotypes homeland. :D:

ewokpelts
04-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I think there oughta be a distinction between Cub fans and the people who go to Wrigley Field. I have a couple of friends who are Cub fans and one is quite knowledgeable about the game. But the people who go to Wrigley Field in the middle of July when the Cubs are about eighteen games back, they're not real fans. They're tourists or people who know nothing about baseball. Stereotypes exist for a reason.i go for the comedy.

monkeypants
04-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Because you Cub fans are morons. I just have to look at your public profile's signiture to remind me of this.

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 10:12 AM
What are you talking about?

PalehosePlanet
04-21-2007, 10:34 AM
We don't think that all cub fans are drunk morons; that's just a part of the fan base. Obviously there are true, knowledgeable cub fans. However, you have to understand that the new wave of transplant and tourist type fans that have become omnipresent in Lakeview over the last 6-8 years; who couldn't care less whether the team wins or loses; who are at the game because they want to get hammered and try to pick up dates; that don't know wht the score is; are EXTREMELY obnoxious to us die-hard baseball/Sox fans.

My wife has gone to cub games group outings for her job with co-workers and these are some of the things she has heard: Is Kyle Farnsworth strating today? He's Cuuute!!; Why isn't Derek Lee playing ?(on DL for 5 weeks at the time); Who cares we're at wrigley have fun! (On my wife saying that it looked like Gorzelanny was going to shut out the cubs.)

Another time when Prior crashed into Marcus Giles and was sprawled out on the field, not one of the so called 20 "cub fans" knew that he was out of the game 2 innings later. You see Bobapples, these comments, thoughts --- unless out of the mouths of 4 year olds --- DO NOT happen at our park. Thus the stereotype. Again doesn't apply to everyone, but without them you guys would sell out only the Cardinals and Sox games every year, unless you had a winning season going.

skobabe8
04-21-2007, 11:00 AM
You seem like a good fan, Bobapples. Unfortunately for you, the majority of your fan base has given people like you a bad name. Thats why the stereotype exists. Talk to fans of other teams that play the Cubs and I'm willing to bet most of them dislike Cub fans more than anyone else. Why? Its not like the Yankees where people hate them for being rich and always really good. Its because Cub fans, whether at Wrigley or someone else's ballpark, are the ones who are drunk and obnoxious. Its not a conspiracy by everyone else against you. Its how others view you guys. And its for good reason.

HotelWhiteSox
04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I just can't stand it when people think all Cubs fans are drunk crazy guys. :angry:

Thank your freinds and all the idiots in the bleachers. Trashing your own field again yesterday, yikes. There was a great pic on here where a game is going on and almost every guy in the bleachers is doing something EXCEPT looking at the game.

Plus all the tourists and all the 'fans' who give you a bad name. It doesn't apply to all of them, but the majority of Cubs fans I know or have met aren't baseball fans at all, but do root for the Cubs. That should tell you something. The rep is earned when the main attraction at the stadium is the social atmosphere there and around it

Juice16
04-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Here is an example.........that last Cubs game I went to in 1998, I sat in the front row right center field bleachers. As soon as the game ended, every a**hole above me threw their beer down the bleachers and I was soaked. As much as I love baseball, I will never go back.

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Mshake is that you?

MarkyBear
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM

I don't believe every Cub fan is a drunk just as I don't believe that every person who goes to a Cubs game is a Cubs fan, or even a fan of baseball for that matter...

Frontman
04-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Honestly, he's not the best, but at least he doesn't sound like this guy:

"Oh Dear, the Cubs are down by 5. This will never do. They need to score some runs and soon."

MarySwiss
04-21-2007, 06:38 PM

"Oh Dear, the Cubs are down by 5. This will never do. They need to score some runs and soon."

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

dwalteroo
04-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Here is an example.........that last Cubs game I went to in 1998, I sat in the front row right center field bleachers. As soon as the game ended, every a**hole above me threw their beer down the bleachers and I was soaked. As much as I love baseball, I will never go back.

Last time I was at Wrigley (2003), I sat in the bleachers. During the game, a guy and girl get kicked out of the park for getting in a "beer fight." Then, leaving the park, I'm just down the ramp and onto the street, and some jacka** emptys his DIP CUP from up above, hitting me on the shoulder and back. Totally disgusting. It might as well have been the state fair. I'll go back, but only for Cubs-Sox games.

tebman
04-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Oh, you mean the Tribune sports department!

QCIASOXFAN
04-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Exhibit A- Iowa Cubs fans.

DrCrawdad
04-21-2007, 08:10 PM

Bob, Here's a quote from a longtime Cubbie fan about Cubbie fans in the bleachers...

And now my take on the Bleachers. There is a definite pattern and I say this after only a few visits over the last year.

The punks get into the game early by deriding the opposition with their drunken observations. And by drunken, I mean smashed, stewed to the gills if you will, and it does not get better as the game progresses. In fact, my highlight for the day was watching some chique fall face first down a flight of concrete stairs. Sadly she was unhurt. By the mid-point of the game the drunks are in inebriate heaven with answers to all questions, many of which have not been asked. Everyone is their best friend, they understand the event horizon concept, in their mind's eye have added thirty pounds of muscle mass and finally, they need another beer.

At the end of the game a stillness becomes them. Accelerated hangovers, fueled by the heat and not compensated for by more beer seems to calm them down, at least until they can get to Murphy's for more knowledge and
inspiration.

It seems to me that if you are going to invest twelve bucks to watch a game, it might be fun to actually remember parts of it. But then I'm a purist I guess. - April 2002 by Cubbie fan, "FMR" a longtime poster in the Cubbie NG (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.baseball.chicago-cubs/browse_thread/thread/6688dd42ee252498/396a8db59afc35c2?lnk=st&q=drunk%2C+bleachers+group%3Aalt.sports.baseball.c hicago-cubs&rnum=13&hl=en#396a8db59afc35c2)

If, as it seems, stereotypes bother you, I have an assignment for you Mr. Cubbie fan. Why don't you post some messages in defense of Sox fans when we are routinely smeared by your fellow Cubbie fans (and the media, but that's another matter)?

Here's just one example (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2007/4/19/23246/7308) of the asinine stereotypes of Sox fans that your fellow Cubbie fans love to spew. Interestingly, when Sox fans post put-downs and degrading stereotypes of Cubbie fans here at WSI they often get reprimanded. On the other hand, when Cubbie fans spit out their usual condescending crap about Sox fans it's rare, very rare, for those hateful posters to get chastised by their fellow Cubbie fans.

One last quote from Cubbie fan, "FMR" on The Shrine, which he apparently thinks is as Rick Morrisey says, "A dump."

One final note that will instigate some conversation is this. Sitting out there yesterday, I was struck by the fact that Wrigley really is a sad Yard. It's dated and worn. I don't advocate a complete tear down but it certainly could use some improvement although I'm not entirely sure what to do. Somewhere there has to be an engineer that could come up with a plan to renovate the Yard without too much inconvenience to the patrons. That or in the future, Wrigley will be history.

Frontman
04-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I love how Cubs fans complain about the Sox organization. "How dare they say they're Chicago baseball? What gives them the right?"

Ummm, not an expert by any stretch, but I do believe the reason you have a professional sports team is to win this:

Wait! That crazy guy who starts all the contreversy has the trophy! Get him before he does something stupid!!!

I would of looked for a picture of the last trophy the Cubs won, but I don't think cameras had been invented yet.

SOXBOY
04-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes the Hawkeroo is a good anouncer. He's a homer but that's why I love Hawk.

thomas35forever
04-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I tend to ignore Cubs fans whenever possible. I'm not lying when I say there are some who actually know about the team and baseball in general. Those people I can respect. However, I hate those who use stupid putdowns on the White Sox such as "Ozzie wasn't American when he won the World Series" or "At least the Cubs have won back-to-back World Series" or more recently, "Sammy owns the Sox." I hate it even more when their fans go into denial about the actual facts just to make themselves feel better about their team.

Simply stated, if you ignore them, your life will be a lot more pleasant.

itsnotrequired
04-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I tend to ignore Cubs fans whenever possible. I'm not lying when I say there are some who actually know about the team and baseball in general. Those people I can respect. However, I hate those who use stupid putdowns on the White Sox such as "Ozzie wasn't American when he won the World Series" or "At least the Cubs have won back-to-back World Series" or more recently, "Sammy owns the Sox." I hate it even more when their fans go into denial about the actual facts just to make themselves feel better about their team.

Simply stated, if you ignore them, your life will be a lot more pleasant.

I have no problem with Cub fans...and by "fan" I mean those that follow the team, know the players, are frustrated with management, are sick of the "loveable loser" shtick, etc. It might pain some of you to hear this but yes, these type of fans exist for the Cubs, just like every other single team out there. And every team out there also has their share of drunk, loudmouth, jag-bag "fans"...the White Sox included. I know that I have been embarrassed at The Cell many of times by these Sox "fans". Some teams may have more of these "fans" than other teams but the fact is they still exist.

Whitesox029
04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I have no problem with Cub fans...and by "fan" I mean those that follow the team, know the players, are frustrated with management, are sick of the "loveable loser" shtick, etc. It might pain some of you to hear this but yes, these type of fans exist for the Cubs, just like every other single team out there. And every team out there also has their share of drunk, loudmouth, jag-bag "fans"...the White Sox included. I know that I have been embarrassed at The Cell many of times by these Sox "fans". Some teams may have more of these "fans" than other teams but the fact is they still exist.
I know a number of them myself, and I respect them because they're knowledgeable. That doesn't mean I don't rib them about the Cubs' nearly constant ineptitude, but I don't have that disdain that I have for the "huge Cubs fans" whose favorite current Cubs player is Sammy Sosa.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
I know a number of them myself, and I respect them because they're knowledgeable. That doesn't mean I don't rib them about the Cubs' nearly constant ineptitude, but I don't have that disdain that I have for the "huge Cubs fans" whose favorite current Cubs player is Sammy Sosa.

At the first Ranger's game, there was some doof sitting near me in full Cub gear. Okay, fine, whatever but after Sosa hit the HR, he was jumping up and down saying "Go Cubs!" I had to remind him that the Cubs lost earlier in the day (on a HR by ex-Sox Blum, mind you) and asked how Sosa's HR helped the Cubs. His response? "Sosa's HR helps me!" He left about five minutes later.

These people are not fans of any team. They exist simply to stir up trouble and/or act the fool.

RadioheadRocks
04-22-2007, 12:05 AM
At the first Ranger's game, there was some doof sitting near me in full Cub gear. Okay, fine, whatever but after Sosa hit the HR, he was jumping up and down saying "Go Cubs!" I had to remind him that the Cubs lost earlier in the day (on a 14th inning game-winning double by ex-Sox Blum, mind you) and asked how Sosa's HR helped the Cubs. His response? "Sosa's HR helps me!" He left about five minutes later.

These people are not fans of any team. They exist simply to stir up trouble and/or act the fool.

Absolutely! (minor fix though, since Blum actually hit an RBI double, but it's all good!)

Frontman
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Geoff Blum, still breaking Cubs fans hearts, both in the 14th inning. That's interesting.

chitownhawkfan
04-22-2007, 01:13 AM
At the first Ranger's game, there was some doof sitting near me in full Cub gear. Okay, fine, whatever but after Sosa hit the HR, he was jumping up and down saying "Go Cubs!" I had to remind him that the Cubs lost earlier in the day (on a HR by ex-Sox Blum, mind you) and asked how Sosa's HR helped the Cubs. His response? "Sosa's HR helps me!" He left about five minutes later.

Out of all the things to hate about Cub fans this is my number one. If we are playing Cleveland and the guy in front of me is wearing an Indians jersey, I'm cool. If we are playing the Indians and a guy in front of me is wearing a Cubs hat you better believe I'm saying something. Instead of trying to show people that you arent a Sox fan and dont want to be there, just dont come.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Out of all the things to hate about Cub fans this is my number one. If we are playing Cleveland and the guy in front of me is wearing an Indians jersey, I'm cool. If we are playing the Indians and a guy in front of me is wearing a Cubs hat you better believe I'm saying something. Instead of trying to show people that you arent a Sox fan and dont want to be there, just dont come.

I don't even have a problem with a guy wearing Cubs gear. As a two-team city, it is assumed by many that the guy decked out in Cubs gear at The Cell is there just to dis the Sox. But he very well could be a true fan and wears his team's colors wherever he goes, be it a Reds-Brewers, Royals-Mariners or Sox-Rangers game. But the guy by me didn't even root against the Sox, he rooted for Sosa. The Sosa HR did NOTHING for the Cubs yet it would appear to Tyethe casual observer that the HR saved the Cubs season, based on his reaction.

Frontman
04-22-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't even have a problem with a guy wearing Cubs gear. As a two-team city, it is assumed by many that the guy decked out in Cubs gear at The Cell is there just to dis the Sox. But he very well could be a true fan and wears his team's colors wherever he goes, be it a Reds-Brewers, Royals-Mariners or Sox-Rangers game. But the guy by me didn't even root against the Sox, he rooted for Sosa. The Sosa HR did NOTHING for the Cubs yet it would appear to Tyethe casual observer that the HR saved the Cubs season, based on his reaction.

I can second that opinion. If you're a fan through and through, wear your teams colors. But if you're just the to root against a team, expect to be razzed. I just don't care for when fans go overboard with their razzes. If you can both have fun, then its just plain fun.

I went to a game last year that had a perfect example of just having fun. A lady sitting behind me was with her two teenage kids. It was late in the season, and she had a Twins windbreaker. (The twins were not in town.) The guy across the aisle from her between innings just picked on her, good naturedly. Comments like, "Oh man, what were you thinking when you got dressed this morning?" and "What, your other jacket was dirty?" and my favorite "That's in great shape if you got it from Goodwill, 'cause I can't see anyone spending real money on a Twin's jacket." (Turns out a friend of a family member worked for the Twins, it was a gift.)

He then kept trying to buy it off of her. It was a pretty entertaining exchange, especially when she went to the bathroom, leaving the jacket with her boys. The guy was there, offering the kids 50 bucks just to borrow it. He even offered to give them his driver's license as collateral, as he just wanted to be wearing it when she came back. The boys almost relented, but she comes back before they do, basically taking two stairs at a time. "I got in the bathroom and realized what I left behind! Oh man!"

Just plain fun.

But if you are dumb enough to be flying your teams colors, and root against the home team; expect to be given a hard time. My brother and I are thinking of attending a Yankees game next season, as it will be the last season at that Yankees stadium. We certainly wouldn't be smart if we attended a Sox/Yanks game to be flying our colors; especially if the Sox win.

DumpJerry
04-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I can second that opinion. If you're a fan through and through, wear your teams colors. But if you're just the to root against a team, expect to be razzed. I just don't care for when fans go overboard with their razzes. If you can both have fun, then its just plain fun.

I went to a game last year that had a perfect example of just having fun. A lady sitting behind me was with her two teenage kids. It was late in the season, and she had a Twins windbreaker. (The twins were not in town.) The guy across the aisle from her between innings just picked on her, good naturedly. Comments like, "Oh man, what were you thinking when you got dressed this morning?" and "What, your other jacket was dirty?" and my favorite "That's in great shape if you got it from Goodwill, 'cause I can't see anyone spending real money on a Twin's jacket." (Turns out a friend of a family member worked for the Twins, it was a gift.)

He then kept trying to buy it off of her. It was a pretty entertaining exchange, especially when she went to the bathroom, leaving the jacket with her boys. The guy was there, offering the kids 50 bucks just to borrow it. He even offered to give them his driver's license as collateral, as he just wanted to be wearing it when she came back. The boys almost relented, but she comes back before they do, basically taking two stairs at a time. "I got in the bathroom and realized what I left behind! Oh man!"

Just plain fun.

But if you are dumb enough to be flying your teams colors, and root against the home team; expect to be given a hard time. My brother and I are thinking of attending a Yankees game next season, as it will be the last season at that Yankees stadium. We certainly wouldn't be smart if we attended a Sox/Yanks game to be flying our colors; especially if the Sox win.
Great story!

Here is how Dumpjerry handles idiots who cheer against the Sox at home. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77052)

Jurr
04-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Because you Cub fans are morons. I just have to look at your public profile's signiture to remind me of this.
If we're going to throw the term "moron" out there, let's at least try to compose a statement with routine words like "signature" spelled correctly.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
If we're going to throw the term "moron" out there, let's at least try to compose a statement with routine words like "signature" spelled correctly.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/images/morans.jpg

:redneck

Eddo144
04-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I totally agree with those who say that there's nothing wrong with wearing your team's stuff to a completely unrelated game. I've been to Cincinnati, St. Louis, and San Franciso and worn a Sox hat or shirt every time. To me, it shows I'm a true fan that wants to experience a game at a different park, no matter who's playing.

Last year, I wen to a Cubs game with my girlfriend and her mom, who's a die-hard Cub fan - a fan who follows them without blinders on and who was legitimately happy for me when my team won the World Series, even though my team is the Sox - and wore my Sox hat. I kept my mouth shut, watched the game, and hung out with the people I came with. Aside from a couple idiot drunks who yelled idle threats ("Get back on the train, *******"), no one really did anything stupid or moronic.

Moral of my story: I've always felt that if you want to wear your own team's gear at a different park, as long as you don't make a fool out or yourself or harass the home fans, you're perfectly fine.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
You seem like a good fan, Bobapples. Unfortunately for you, the majority of your fan base has given people like you a bad name. Thats why the stereotype exists. Talk to fans of other teams that play the Cubs and I'm willing to bet most of them dislike Cub fans more than anyone else. Why? Its not like the Yankees where people hate them for being rich and always really good. Its because Cub fans, whether at Wrigley or someone else's ballpark, are the ones who are drunk and obnoxious. Its not a conspiracy by everyone else against you. Its how others view you guys. And its for good reason.

As a former Usher, i can tell you i kicked out way more Cubs fans for being drunken morons at Brewers/Cubs games than any other. Usually 1 or 2 a game for the other team, usually 10-15 for Cubs fans. I never really hated cubs fans till i started working there.

DumpJerry
04-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Last night a big-time Cub I know told me that he gets happy when the Sox lose. He then said I probably feel the same way when the Cubs lose. I broke his heart when I told him I don't care what his team does. He did not want to hear that his team is meaningless to someone in the Chicago area.

bigsoxfan420
04-23-2007, 08:29 AM

Okay, fine. Crazy drunk GIRLS as well. :D:

C-Dawg
04-23-2007, 12:51 PM

That's something I've never understood. Why do they come to our park? Is it the undeniable attraction of buying actual face-value tickets and seeing a team that's almost always in contention? I think I've seen some tool dressed in full Cubbie regalia at just about every Sox home game I've been to, and yes, he's rooting for the Indians, Twins, Devil Rays, etc. Why? I just don't get it. Please stay home and root for the rest of the AL in your living room.

Meanwhile, I've only been to two games at Wrigley in my adult life. First was a Cub/Sox game in 2003, and I was surrounded by a bunch of very drunk college kids who didn't see a single pitch because the whole time they were there they were either talking on their phones, getting beer, or going to the bathroom. Exactly the stereotype mentioned in the original post in this thread. Next game was against the Phillies in 2005 on a cold windy day, and the Cubs led for most of the game 1-0 until Philly went ahead 2-1 in the 7th. As soon as the 7th inning stretch was over, about 50-60% of the ballpark cleared out. There must have been about 30,000 empty seats there to see Philly go up and win 4-1 in the 9th. But I couldn't help but laugh at a fanbase that stickes around just long enough to see some celebrity sing and then immediately leave despite their team coming up to bat trailing by just one run. Pathetic.

jenn2080
04-23-2007, 01:08 PM
As a former Usher, i can tell you i kicked out way more Cubs fans for being drunken morons at Brewers/Cubs games than any other. Usually 1 or 2 a game for the other team, usually 10-15 for Cubs fans. I never really hated cubs fans till i started working there.

Last year at the Sunday Cubs Sox game at Wrigley my brother and I saw at least ten people kicked out and all of them were Cubs fans. The only called the usher some names I was appauled by.

Frontman
04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobapples1993 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1545932#post1545932)

Okay, fine. Crazy drunk GIRLS as well. :D:

Don't forget the halter and tank tops; drinking their Bud Light with their pinky up and a "scrunchy" around their wrist while talking to her g-friends on her cell.

nug0hs
04-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I finally found the simple way to explain this after having lived in Michigan for 4 years and being asked why me, being born and raised on the North Shore, is such a diehard Sox fan.
The simple explanation?
"Well, think of it this way. The truth about the Cubs and Sox fan rivalry is that the Cubs are a tourist attraction and the White Sox are a world championship-caliber baseball team."
This usually helps "foreigners" understand things more.

fusillirob1983
04-23-2007, 11:19 PM
That's something I've never understood. Why do they come to our park? Is it the undeniable attraction of buying actual face-value tickets and seeing a team that's almost always in contention? I think I've seen some tool dressed in full Cubbie regalia at just about every Sox home game I've been to, and yes, he's rooting for the Indians, Twins, Devil Rays, etc. Why? I just don't get it. Please stay home and root for the rest of the AL in your living room.

Meanwhile, I've only been to two games at Wrigley in my adult life. First was a Cub/Sox game in 2003, and I was surrounded by a bunch of very drunk college kids who didn't see a single pitch because the whole time they were there they were either talking on their phones, getting beer, or going to the bathroom. Exactly the stereotype mentioned in the original post in this thread. Next game was against the Phillies in 2005 on a cold windy day, and the Cubs led for most of the game 1-0 until Philly went ahead 2-1 in the 7th. As soon as the 7th inning stretch was over, about 50-60% of the ballpark cleared out. There must have been about 30,000 empty seats there to see Philly go up and win 4-1 in the 9th. But I couldn't help but laugh at a fanbase that stickes around just long enough to see some celebrity sing and then immediately leave despite their team coming up to bat trailing by just one run. Pathetic.

They also stop selling beer around that time too.

kittle42
04-24-2007, 12:42 AM
They also stop selling beer around that time too.

But according to the radio announcers, "listen to those fans - not a one of them has left beautiful Wrigley Field" every 9th inning. Meanwhile, turn the TV on and have a look at the stands.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Last year at the Sunday Cubs Sox game at Wrigley my brother and I saw at least ten people kicked out and all of them were Cubs fans. The only called the usher some names I was appauled by.

Oh yea, i love when they do that. This converastion actually happened to me last year.

Me: Excuse me sir, may i see your ticket please?

Cub fan: @#$% off #$$%*(@

Me: "That's not necessary, and i ask you to refrain from using that type of language.

Cub Fan:More cursing, this time about my mother.

Me: Sir, you talk to me like that again, i will have you watchin the game from outside the stadium.

Cub fan: Try it #$$%*(@.

(I then call the cops over and have him removed from the stadium)

Heck, i have had them take swings at me because i told them they weren't allowed to take beer out of friday's due to it being after the 7th(which is a rule, and is printed ON the doors at the Bier Garden).

Winning Ugly 79
04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I had my wife laughing the other night when explaining differences between our Fans and Cubs fans...

It was the night Buerhle threw the no-no and when they interviewed him after the game, he was given the requisite beer shower. She wanted to know what the deal was which made me go on about how if it was the Cubs, they would use wine spritzers or something like that. And that it wouldn't be to celebrate an accomplishment such as a no-hitter or a championship....it would be to celebrate being eliminated from the playoffs, because I have the theory that the Cubs would lose most of their fans if they ever won it....They get all those tourists and celebs to witness the most futile organization in American sports history and they are Ok with it! I'm so glad that we've never made our futility a marketing ploy...

nug0hs
04-25-2007, 12:49 AM
ummm

Winning Ugly 79
04-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Or should I say any period of futility we've had...it's been a while since we've been futile...

MeteorsSox4367
04-25-2007, 09:26 AM
As much as this pains me to say, there are some Cub fans that I don't hate. My brother-in-law is a diehard Cubs fan and much to my objection, is raising my three nephews as Cub fans.

He's actually teaching them well in terms of baseball. The kids love playing the game and they're into stats and having a good knowledge of the sport. I've even bought t-shirts and jerseys for the kids for their birthdays and Christmas because I knew it would make 'em happy.

My nine-year-old nephew did tell me before Christmas that "the Sox suck", but this was also the same kid who at my birthday gathering this season at the Sox-Twins game told me that "I hope the Sox win today because that'll make you happy."

As long as people show an appreciation for the game and have at least some knowledge as to what the hell is going on, I have no real objections. My brother-in-law and the kids root for their team and my Dad and I root for ours. Simple enough.

Mr.1Dog
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_NYydfot1Y

Need I say more.

StrTrkker
04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Geez...

It took a Reds fan to help him out since all his Cub buddies were too busy drinking and laughing to realize that maybe...he needs help.

Unreal...

skottyj242
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Hey, I resemble that remark.

white-rox1985
04-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Bobapples, you are a big %*&hole! Shut the %^($ up and get out of here!!!!!!!!!!:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

pdimas
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow just wow.

See some of you lot at the game today. Its been a week since i've attended a game and i am ready for a beer or two.

WizardsofOzzie
04-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Bobapples, you are a big %*&hole! Shut the %^($ up and get out of here!!!!!!!!!!:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
:DJ

Uh-Oh....Language filter evasion police!

ChiSoxLifer
04-25-2007, 06:27 PM
This is why stereotypes of most cubs fans are pretty close to the truth. I just had this conversation today. I didn't change a single word.

TheMightyOne: don't get mad because you're a fan of a DUMBASS team(Alias): lol(Alias): southside my ass(Alias): go northsideTheMightyOne: cubs are the most pathetic team in baseballTheMightyOne: they're the blackhawks of baseballTheMightyOne: and the suckers keep going to wrigley(Alias): haha(Alias): and noone go to sox gameTheMightyOne: 3 million in attendance last year says otherwise(Alias): yes, below the league average(Alias): especially behind cubs by farTheMightyOne: 4th in the AL last yrTheMightyOne: above average(Alias): what about major leagueTheMightyOne: that's wrigley fans that attend the games, not cubs fans(Alias): they sucked last yr(Alias): cubs (Alias): fanTheMightyOne: so you're saying attendance is more important than winning?TheMightyOne: that's why tribune loves you guysTheMightyOne: they can put a sucky as team out there, people will still come, and they keep the money(Alias): thats business(Alias): bottom line (Alias): money(Alias): noone is in this business to lose money(Alias): if they can sell tix with ****ty team(Alias): i got to give it to them(Alias): just like GM can make ****ty cars and ppl still fight to buy it(Alias): how can you not love that TheMightyOne: however, but you're arguing about attendance(Alias): yeah, atendance=revenue(Alias): =popularity(Alias): sox fall behind cubs in both catsTheMightyOne: so being popular is more important than winning?TheMightyOne: that's all you have is popularity, you win the annual attendance trophy. congrats!TheMightyOne: go have a parade now(Alias): yep(Alias): not many winning teams can say the sameTheMightyOne: *puts on my World Series Championship" hat(Alias): if i am the owner, i take the cash over trophy(Alias): yeah but who got bigger back yardsTheMightyOne: but you're not the owner, you're a fan. (Alias): i am observerTheMightyOne: you may have a bigger back yard, but i have a nicer house, and a nice trophy to go along with it. of course, not as cool as your attendance trophy.

thomas35forever
04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
What a video. Why would you want to have a rematch on something that almost killed a guy?

I found something more humiliating. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhU4Z0mBDM&mode=related&search=

ChiSoxLifer
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
What a video. Why would you want to have a rematch on something that almost killed a guy?

...and then goes on to star in Borat.

UserNameBlank
04-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the vid!

My favorite part is when he does the Ronnie Woo Woo impression and starts digging through the garbage for something to drink, then actually drinks some old beer and what looks to be fruit juice or possibly urine from a bottle.

Way to make Cub fans proud, buddy.

DumpJerry
04-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Seeing as you are Bobapples, this is proof you are one sick puppy.

The Dude
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Seeing as you are Bobapples, this is proof you are one sick puppy.

Gotta love them Bob's! Especially Cafarelli.:puking:

Frontman
04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Just to cross reference a thread:

Since Cubs fans embrace Ronnie Woo Woo, THAT is reason enough for Sox fans to think they're better than Cubs fans. We have little patience for stupidity.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86785

Blind Lemon 5103
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Hello, I'm new to this board and I have to say that despite the stereotypes, there are actually some Cub fans who are knowledgeable about baseball, are not blind optimists, drunks, etc.

I speak as one who grew up in a divided household...Dad is a Cub fan, Mom was a Sox fan. I wisely sided with my Mom, despite my Dad's repeated attempts to get me over to the "dark side".

Anyway, my Dad is a true baseball fan and a lifelong Cubs fan. He doesn't fit the current stereotypical Cub fan these days.

- He is mostly pessimistic and cynical about the teams play. Not overly optimistic about winning streaks, or even playoff appearances. Even when the Cubs were up 3-1 on the Marlins, he cautioned "it's not over yet"...

- He couldn't stand Sammy Sosa.

- He doesn't attend games, preferring to watch in the comforts of home.

- He can chat objectively about any team, and knows the players inside and out.

- Any kidding we do amongst ourselves is in good fun. He even admitted to pulling for the Sox a bit in the '05 Series because "they play the game the right way".

I can appreciate this type of Cub fan. Others like this include the best man at my wedding, and a former co-worker friend of mine. They were complete realists, unlike the throngs of so-called Cubs fans today.

Now on to more important things...

Let's go get 'em in Seattle!

shoelessshaun27!
04-29-2007, 09:15 PM
A lot of fans are party people but there are a lot of die hard fans. Its not as bad as it used to be, they just grabbed a bunch of fake fans back in 03 now that they jumped off the wagon real fans will start to be more common.

Blind Lemon 5103
04-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree, though I think they picked up a lot of fake fans after 1998 (Sosa and the wild-card berth)...

By the way, my Dad has been a fan since 1952. Favorite player was Hank Sauer. He said the ballpark was empty through most of the 1950's and '60s.

I recall going to Cubs games in the 1970's myself. Not to cheer on the Cubs, but because it was baseball. No problem getting tickets.

By the way, my best man the Cub fan went to the Cubs / Cardinals game a few weeks ago and did not enjoy his experience. Not enough true baseball fans around for his liking. He even said Wrigley should be torn down and they should get a modern stadium! How utterly rational!

Frontman
04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Hello, I'm new to this board and I have to say that despite the stereotypes, there are actually some Cub fans who are knowledgeable about baseball, are not blind optimists, drunks, etc.

I speak as one who grew up in a divided household...Dad is a Cub fan, Mom was a Sox fan. I wisely sided with my Mom, despite my Dad's repeated attempts to get me over to the "dark side".

Anyway, my Dad is a true baseball fan and a lifelong Cubs fan. He doesn't fit the current stereotypical Cub fan these days.

- He is mostly pessimistic and cynical about the teams play. Not overly optimistic about winning streaks, or even playoff appearances. Even when the Cubs were up 3-1 on the Marlins, he cautioned "it's not over yet"...

- He couldn't stand Sammy Sosa.

- He doesn't attend games, preferring to watch in the comforts of home.

- He can chat objectively about any team, and knows the players inside and out.

- Any kidding we do amongst ourselves is in good fun. He even admitted to pulling for the Sox a bit in the '05 Series because "they play the game the right way".

I can appreciate this type of Cub fan. Others like this include the best man at my wedding, and a former co-worker friend of mine. They were complete realists, unlike the throngs of so-called Cubs fans today.

Now on to more important things...

Let's go get 'em in Seattle!

Welcome to the boards, and your Dad sounds like a knowledgeable fan. I can agree that he's the type of fan any team should have, being reasonable.

However, if he's that smart, why keep rooting for them? :wink:

I am of course joking, as I rooted for a certain team on the Southside that took 34 years of my life to get a championship. And even if I waited another 34 years to see another one, I'd still be a Sox fan.

RadioheadRocks
04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree, though I think they picked up a lot of fake fans after 1998 (Sosa and the wild-card berth)...

Actually the flashpoint was 1984 when they started playing good baseball (at least for that one season anyway!), Sandberg was MVP, Sutcliffe came over in that mid-season deal with the Indians and (after two seasons of relative indifference towards him) the fans started to embrace Harry Caray as one of their own.

Blind Lemon 5103
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree. 1984 is the true flashpoint.

The Critic
04-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Just to cross reference a thread:

Since Cubs fans embrace Ronnie Woo Woo, THAT is reason enough for Sox fans to think they're better than Cubs fans. We have little patience for stupidity.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86785

Well.....there's Andy the Clown, the Get Up Guy and Sox Man, so there's at least SOME patience....

Frontman
04-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Well.....there's Andy the Clown, the Get Up Guy and Sox Man, so there's at least SOME patience....

And all 3, save maybe Andy, didn't make sounds like Morning Doves mating; for six straight hours.:D:

johnr1note
04-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Actually the flashpoint was 1984 when they started playing good baseball (at least for that one season anyway!), Sandberg was MVP, Sutcliffe came over in that mid-season deal with the Indians and (after two seasons of relative indifference towards him) the fans started to embrace Harry Caray as one of their own.

While 1984 played a part, I believe the "flashpoints" for the shift in popularity from the Sox to the Cubs happened in three stages --

1) The White Sox failing to capitalize on a near slam dunk chance to win the pennant in 1967, then falling on thier faces in 1968, while the Cubs were on the rise, culminating in that "magic" year of 1969. There was a paradigm shift in Chicago baseball at that time.

2) The ill-timed and poorly planned shift of the White Sox to pay-television (remember "ON-TV?") in the early 80s which allowed Harry Carrey to switch to the Cubs. Then the Cubs refocused thier marketing efforts, helped along by the Superstation status of WGN, making Harry and the ballpark the focus of attention rather than the on-field product.

3) Similar to 1967, the failure of the Sox to capitalize in 1983, followed by disaster in 1984, while the Cubs then came within a game of the World Series in 1984, helped cement the "new image" Cubs. I think the fans embraced Harry right away when he crossed over in 82 or so (it amazed me how the man who Cubs fans mocked as a "drunken old fool" when he broadcast for the Sox became a beloved, grandfatherly figure when he announced for the Cubs). It was in 84 that Harry's connection to the Cubs was elevated to a national stage. They followed up with all those endorsements, he opened his resteraunt, the whole "Cub fan, bud man" crap etc. Harry was now synonomous with the Cubs. It was the most ingenius, if initially unintentional marketing move in the history of Chicago sports.

soxfan13
04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
While 1984 played a part, I believe the "flashpoints" for the shift in popularity from the Sox to the Cubs happened in three stages --

1) The White Sox failing to capitalize on a near slam dunk chance to win the pennant in 1967, then falling on thier faces in 1968, while the Cubs were on the rise, culminating in that "magic" year of 1969. There was a paradigm shift in Chicago baseball at that time.

2) The ill-timed and poorly planned shift of the White Sox to pay-television (remember "ON-TV?") in the early 80s which allowed Harry Carrey to switch to the Cubs. Then the Cubs refocused thier marketing efforts, helped along by the Superstation status of WGN, making Harry and the ballpark the focus of attention rather than the on-field product.

3) Similar to 1967, the failure of the Sox to capitalize in 1983, followed by disaster in 1984, while the Cubs then came within a game of the World Series in 1984, helped cement the "new image" Cubs. I think the fans embraced Harry right away when he crossed over in 82 or so (it amazed me how the man who Cubs fans mocked as a "drunken old fool" when he broadcast for the Sox became a beloved, grandfatherly figure when he announced for the Cubs). It was in 84 that Harry's connection to the Cubs was elevated to a national stage. They followed up with all those endorsements, he opened his resteraunt, the whole "Cub fan, bud man" crap etc. Harry was now synonomous with the Cubs. It was the most ingenius, if initially unintentional marketing move in the history of Chicago sports.

I think this was the biggest!

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2007, 11:26 AM
They were already losing kids before the SportsVision (OnTV was the movie channel) venture due to moving the games from WGN to UHF channels (32 & 44) that practically no one could get. Even if you had a TV with a UHF tuner, the reception was so bad it was like watching the games through a snowstorm.

DumpJerry
04-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I think this was the biggest!

They were already losing kids before the SportsVision (OnTV was the movie channel) venture due to moving the games from WGN to UHF channels (32 & 44) that practically no one could get. Even if you had a TV with a UHF tuner, the reception was so bad it was like watching the games through a snowstorm.
The television situation in the '70's and early 80's did not help at all. The won-loss records of some of the 70's teams did not create an adrenaline rush either.

DumpJerry
04-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Need I say more.

Geez...

It took a Reds fan to help him out since all his Cub buddies were too busy drinking and laughing to realize that maybe...he needs help.

Unreal...
This incident took place while the game was going on, not between innings (you can see the players in the outfield at one point). This further reinforces the stereotype that they don't watch the game. Can you imagine if a group that big at Comiskey was horsing around like that during play? They would get killed.

I also love how concerned they were that their buddy almost died. I can see the funeral now: "Chad died doing what he loved most, taking in a Cubs game in the Bud Lite Bleachers. He was a passionate fan of the Cubs. Never missed a game, never observed one, either."

What would have been ironic is while doing the Heimlich on him, a home run hits the Reds fan in the head knocking him out before he is able to dislodge the 45 year old hot dog from the guy's windpipe.

Blind Lemon 5103
04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
I will be going to my first game at Wrigley Field in 7 years on May 10. I was invited by my rational Cub fan friend who complained about the lack of real baseball fans in attendance the last time he went.

I will get a chance to witness first-hand what these "fans" are like, as well as see how the ballpark is holding up (or not holding up) these days.

I will quietly pull for the Pirates, mind my own business and keep score.

To even things out, I will be bringing my Cub fan friend to the Sox- Yankees game on May 17. I have two tickets in Section 110...

....on another note, why must I pay premium prices for a last-place team? (Yankees).:angry: Don't agree with the whole "premium' date deal, but that's the subject of another post.

Daver
04-30-2007, 06:42 PM

I can still remember my uncle sending me up on the roof when I was 9 to adjust the antanae (sp) so he could watch the game on channel 44.

Blind Lemon 5103
04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
On that subject, I recall my Mom and I watching the Sox on a small black and white set in the basement, while my Dad got to watch the Cubs lose in living color on the big console TV in the living room.

Oftentimes, Dad would not come to the dinner table until the Cubs game was over. After losses (which were plentiful), he would take his seat at the dinner table and mutter "Cubs suck". That was it. Nobody said anything to him, and he would then proceed to eat.

I'm getting off subject here, but I recall seeing Jack Drees and Bud Kelly on Channel 32. Can't recall if we had a bad signal or not. I only knew we had to watch in the basement, if the Cubs were on at the same time!

southside rocks
04-30-2007, 07:53 PM
I have always dismissed the stereotype of Cubs fans being over-loud, over-drunk, baseball-ignorant twits. I know a couple of Cubs fans who are intelligent, sane adults, although they are slightly depressed about the endless futility that their team displays.

But last Friday night I went to the Angels game at the Cell and sat about 12 rows back, behind the Sox on-deck circle. In the row behind us was a group of 20-somethings, and one of them, a female, was a Cubs fan. How did we know that? She told us. Loudly, drunkenly, over and over and over and over again. She kept shouting that Wrigley is a better park, and she kept calling people on her cell phone to tell them that she was at a Sox game and that she was "like, really wasted!" She went into great detail about what she had been drinking (Captain Morgan) and other fascinating aspects of her life.

I did not make any of this up.

I'm female myself, but well out of my 20's, and I wanted to tell this chick to go home and stop embarrassing herself, but she was drunk beyond the point where she could understand anything anybody said to her.

It was really pathetic, though.

Frontman
04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
One thing to remember is that there are Cub fans, then there are Wrigleyville fans. The games are meaningless to the second group of fans. Granted, the first group puzzles me, as why keep on rooting for a team that hadn't even won a playoff series in generations, much less appeared in a World Series in four generations.

DumpJerry
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I will be going to my first game at Wrigley Field in 7 years on May 10. I was invited by my rational Cub fan friend who complained about the lack of real baseball fans in attendance the last time he went.
Good luck Blind. In 2004, I went to my first ordeal, I mean game, there since 1984. It was a Sox game and we sat in the Center Field Bleachers. You have one guess as to who was watching the game and who was taking off their shirts, dancing to The YMCA and Donna Summer, throwing their beers around after the game ended and otherwise did not even notice the patch of grass in front of them.....

Before I went, I called my aunt who works in the immunization program for the Chicago Dept. of Public Health to see if there were any shots I needed to protect myself. She told that unfortunately there were no immunizations approved by the FDA for whatever I might be exposed to and had to weight the risks and rewards of exposure.

cbotnyse
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM

I can still remember my uncle sending me up on the roof when I was 9 to adjust the antanae (sp) so he could watch the game on channel 44.back in my day......http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/smiley/oldman.gif

areilly
04-30-2007, 11:40 PM
One thing to remember is that there are Cub fans, then there are Wrigleyville fans. The games are meaningless to the second group of fans. Granted, the first group puzzles me, as why keep on rooting for a team that hadn't even won a playoff series in generations, much less appeared in a World Series in four generations.

Everyone's got their reasons...in all honesty, a lot of us here fielded no small amount of similar questions about the Sox until 2005, when they hadn't won a playoff series in four generations and hadn't been to a World Series in two generations.

I think we'll learn a lot about the North Side fanbase once the team is sold and Wrigley inevitably stops being the home of the Cubs.

I came to the conclusion once that where Chicago baseball is concerned, there are about as many hardcore know-the-roster-up-and-down, bleed-team-colors Cubs and Sox fans...unfortunately the number of Wrigleyville fans drastically exceeds both of those numbers combined and makes things awful for both camps, and my hardcore Cub fan friends will attest to that.

Frontman
05-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Everyone's got their reasons...in all honesty, a lot of us here fielded no small amount of similar questions about the Sox until 2005, when they hadn't won a playoff series in four generations and hadn't been to a World Series in two generations.

I think we'll learn a lot about the North Side fanbase once the team is sold and Wrigley inevitably stops being the home of the Cubs.

I came to the conclusion once that where Chicago baseball is concerned, there are about as many hardcore know-the-roster-up-and-down, bleed-team-colors Cubs and Sox fans...unfortunately the number of Wrigleyville fans drastically exceeds both of those numbers combined and makes things awful for both camps, and my hardcore Cub fan friends will attest to that.

Actually, after I posted that, I thought about it and was shocked that it easily could of been a post about a Sox fan pre-2005. :D:

MarySwiss
05-01-2007, 08:14 AM
back in my day......http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/smiley/oldman.gif

Tsk, Tsk! Kids these days just have no respect for their elders.

PaulDrake
05-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Need I say more. Living proof that there's more than just a little bit of truth to all those negative stereotypes.