PDA

View Full Version : From Ebert

jklm
03-25-2002, 10:54 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-man/sho-sunday-ebert24x.html

Q. While accompanying my 10-year-old daughter to "On the Line," I was chagrined to see the Chicago-based characters attend a Cubs game. Yet another inevitable trip to Wrigley Field to supply window-dressing to a romantic comedy. I have nothing against the Cubbies (they're good enough for Ferris Buehler), but will a filmmaker ever come along with the courage to set a movie in Chicago and make the lead characters White Sox fans?

Jim Keogh, film critic, Worcester (Mass.) Telegram & Gazette

A. Well, they don't actually attend a game, but the characters in the new movie "Stolen Summer" are White Sox fans.

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2002, 11:10 AM
"Stolen Summer" was the subject of the Project Greenlight show on HBO this past winter. They did have the kids wearing the old-style Sox stuff (the '83 jerseys, so I don't know if that was accurate -- the movie is set in 1976), so that was cool.

Interestingly, the guy directing the film (Pete Jones) is from Deerfield and wears his Flubbie hat about half the time they're filming. Plus the movie is set on the north side of the city.

LuvChiSox
03-25-2002, 11:51 AM
In the John Candy movie "Only the Lonely" , they show some nice Comiskey Park scenes.

NUCatsFan
03-25-2002, 11:52 AM
You can't forget the Tim Meadows classic "The Ladies Man" :)

RedPinStripes
03-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox
In the John Candy movie "Only the Lonely" , they show some nice Comiskey Park scenes.

Those were some cool scenes in that movie. It's the only reason i didn't turn it off half way through the movie.

dougs78
03-25-2002, 12:15 PM
but will a filmmaker ever come along with the courage to set a movie in Chicago and make the lead characters White Sox fans?

Whoa! What about "my best friends wedding?" Wasn't the father of Cameron Diaz's character supposed to be the owner of the White Sox? I seem to recall a scene that was actually at comiskey.

czalgosz
03-25-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
They did have the kids wearing the old-style Sox stuff (the '83 jerseys, so I don't know if that was accurate -- the movie is set in 1976), so that was cool.

It isn't accurate - the "SOX" softball-style unis came out in either '80 or '81 (I can't remember which). In '76 they were wearing the floppy pajama-looking uniform with the wide collar.

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

It isn't accurate - the "SOX" softball-style unis came out in either '80 or '81 (I can't remember which). In '76 they were wearing the floppy pajama-looking uniform with the wide collar.

Do you mean the red & white pinstriped unis, or the dark navy "old tyme Chicago" ones that came in long pants as well as shorts? I seem to recall the '76 unis being the last year of the red & white pinstripes.

czalgosz
03-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Do you mean the red & white pinstriped unis, or the dark navy "old tyme Chicago" ones that came in long pants as well as shorts? I seem to recall the '76 unis being the last year of the red & white pinstripes.

You know, you might be right. I thought it was the "Old Tyme" unis, but it might have been the red pinstripes. I don't remember, I was 1 at the time. But it definitely wasn't the red, white and blue "SOX" uniforms. Those weren't around until the '80s.

FarmerAndy
03-25-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

Whoa! What about "my best friends wedding?" Wasn't the father of Cameron Diaz's character supposed to be the owner of the White Sox? I seem to recall a scene that was actually at comiskey.

There was alot of Comiskey in that movie. The main male character was a sportswriter who was doing a story on Frank Thomas. There was a ballgame scene in the middle of the movie, and the climactic end takes place in a Comiskey women's bathroom.

For a ballpark that's only a little over one decade old, I'd say it's had it's fair share of time on the big screen.

FarmerAndy
03-25-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
You can't forget the Tim Meadows classic "The Ladies Man" :)

"Meet me by the nacho cart."

doublem23
03-25-2002, 04:59 PM
And of course, there's Major League 2, in which the Sox are the defending World Series champs and the major thorn in the side of the Tribe.

DVG
03-26-2002, 01:03 AM
For those who were asking, the White Sox wore the red pin
stripes from 1971-75. When Bill Veeck came in 1976 he changed
them to the softball "old tyme" uniforms.