PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 10:55 PM
During the commercials of the Sox game and immediately following I was glued to the BoSox/Yankee game. Baseball, FOX, ESPN/ABC and whoever else should run with this. When they have key series such as this they should be nationally telecasted. Not like FOX on Saturdays but like tonight. You want to market your game you show these games and the passion. We are in the middle of April and that game felt like October. I would like to see more Bos-NYY games nationally as well as Sox-Twin-Cle games, NYM-ATL, etc etc etc. As far as the teams who don't get these TV spots (Royals, Nationals etc etc) simple solution start showing the same passion. What this will lead to is huge exposure for the game and its players. Guys like Derrek Lee talk about needing to get back to the inner city and getting the African American kids back into baseball this would be a start, a huge start. As far as I know a majority of MLB's games are on Cable or Satelite where as the NFL every game but 1 a week is on regular television.

CanBuehrleWait
04-20-2007, 10:58 PM
During the commercials of the Sox game and immediately following I was glued to the BoSox/Yankee game. Baseball, FOX, ESPN/ABC and whoever else should run with this. When they have key series such as this they should be nationally telecasted. Not like FOX on Saturdays but like tonight. You want to market your game you show these games and the passion. We are in the middle of April and that game felt like October. I would like to see more Bos-NYY games nationally as well as Sox-Twin-Cle games, NYM-ATL, etc etc etc. As far as the teams who don't get these TV spots (Royals, Nationals etc etc) simple solution start showing the same passion. What this will lead to is huge exposure for the game and its players. Guys like Derrek Lee talk about needing to get back to the inner city and getting the African American kids back into baseball this would be a start, a huge start. As far as I know a majority of MLB's games are on Cable or Satelite where as the NFL every game but 1 a week is on regular television.

Are you serious? Please tell me this is meant to be teal???

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Are you serious? Please tell me this is meant to be teal???
Whats wrong with 2 teams playing their hearts out for 9 innings? If I had the oppertunity I would watch all 18 games of this series during the season. I'm not saying that some of the 30 teams don't care but there is definately a different feel when you got Bos-NYY and Sox-Min playing opposed to say Bal-TB or FLA-WAS.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 11:10 PM
*shakes head in disbelief*

Dude, are you aware that the last two AL representatives in the World Series played tonight in a one-run game and was shown locally?

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 11:11 PM

Dude, are you aware that the last two AL representatives in the World Series played tonight in a one-run game and shown locally?

What's the problem? He's suggesting more games be nationally broadcast on weeknights.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 11:13 PM
What's the problem? He's suggesting more games be nationally broadcast on weeknights.
Because ESPN will show every play three times on the Sportscenter special broadcast tonight.

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 11:13 PM

Dude, are you aware that the last two AL representatives in the World Series played tonight in a one-run game and was shown locally?
Did you not read the original post? If you did you would have noticed I said I was watching their game during our commercials and after our game ended.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Because ESPN will show every play three times on the Sportscenter special broadcast tonight.

:?:

What does this have to do with showing more games nationally, regardless of the teams?

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Jerry your saying on say a Monday night the Sox are off or we had a Thursday 1 pm game you wouldn't watch a game like NYY-Bos or Min-Cle or LAD-SF during primetime on FOX or ABC? Better yet you would rather FOX run reruns of Bones or House or ABC showing reruns of their shows instead of baseball during the summer?

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 11:18 PM
:?:

What does this have to do with showing more games nationally, regardless of the teams?
I guess I'm just reacting to how the media will always default to a Yanks/BoSox game even if two other really good teams are playing at the same time.

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 11:19 PM
I guess I'm just reacting to how the media will always default to a Yanks/BoSox game even if two other really good teams are playing at the same time.
I was just using Bos-NYY as the example because they were the game on tonight.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Jerry your saying on say a Monday night the Sox are off or we had a Thursday 1 pm game you wouldn't watch a game like NYY-Bos or Min-Cle or LAD-SF during primetime on FOX or ABC? Better yet you would rather FOX run reruns of Bones or House or ABC showing reruns of their shows instead of baseball during the summer?
I would, but as I said in response to INR, it seems like the East Coast media barons seem to think it is always Yanks/BoSox that we would be interested in no matter what else is being played. We see those two teams quite a bit, it would be nice to see other teams so we can learn more about who they have on their rosters.

rdivaldi
04-20-2007, 11:23 PM
I was just using Bos-NYY as the example because they were the game on tonight.

And every other night if ESPN had their way...

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I would, but as I said in response to INR, it seems like the East Coast media barons seem to think it is always Yanks/BoSox that we would be interested in no matter what else is being played. We see those two teams quite a bit, it would be nice to see other teams so we can learn more about who they have on their rosters.
I think the thing is though more than just east coast bias is the fact that similar to say Michigan-Ohio st or Duke-UNC there is more to it than 2 good teams playing. There is the history that everyone knows about. The passion that is in those games is clearly at a different level to that of Baltimore-Tampa making it great television that helps the league expand.

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
They play each other 18 times out of 162 games where does the every other night come into play?

cbotnyse
04-20-2007, 11:29 PM

I think the thing is though more than just east coast bias is the fact that similar to say Michigan-Ohio st or Duke-UNC there is more to it than 2 good teams playing. There is the history that everyone knows about. The passion that is in those games is clearly at a different level to that of Baltimore-Tampa making it great television that helps the league expand.I think you both have valid points, but I'd like to see more teams than just NY/Bos constantly. There are plenty of other good rivalries in baseball.

rdivaldi
04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
They play each other 18 times out of 162 games where does the every other night come into play?

Did I need to use sarcasm tags?

Better?

ewokpelts
04-20-2007, 11:49 PM
During the commercials of the Sox game and immediately following I was glued to the BoSox/Yankee game. Baseball, FOX, ESPN/ABC and whoever else should run with this. When they have key series such as this they should be nationally telecasted. Not like FOX on Saturdays but like tonight. You want to market your game you show these games and the passion. We are in the middle of April and that game felt like October. I would like to see more Bos-NYY games nationally as well as Sox-Twin-Cle games, NYM-ATL, etc etc etc. As far as the teams who don't get these TV spots (Royals, Nationals etc etc) simple solution start showing the same passion. What this will lead to is huge exposure for the game and its players. Guys like Derrek Lee talk about needing to get back to the inner city and getting the African American kids back into baseball this would be a start, a huge start. As far as I know a majority of MLB's games are on Cable or Satelite where as the NFL every game but 1 a week is on regular television.a. yankmees and blow sawks are on national tv ALL THE TIME. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PLAY EACH OTHER.

b. show the same passion? it's april! and it's freezing in over half the country!

c. i dont see how more boston/new york games will help get black kids to play baseball more.

d. monday night football is on cable. same as thursday night and saturday night. apparently, a lot of people have cable. which is why mlb wants to be there. same as the nba, nhl, and nfl. and the cable companies PAY the leagues to be there. espn is paying what abc did for MNF despite lower ratings.

ewokpelts
04-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Jerry your saying on say a Monday night the Sox are off or we had a Thursday 1 pm game you wouldn't watch a game like NYY-Bos or Min-Cle or LAD-SF during primetime on FOX or ABC? Better yet you would rather FOX run reruns of Bones or House or ABC showing reruns of their shows instead of baseball during the summer?the networks DONT WANT sports to interfwere with thier programming. fox has made it known they do not want their fall season ****ed up due to a month long baseball postseason.
that's tbs( a cable station) paid to have half the championship series and ALL of the division series. fox only wants the big stuff. like the world series and ASG. saturday baseball fills a hole in thier programming. it's that, stargate, or infomercials.
abc/nbc left baseball along time ago. same as cbs.

getonbckthr
04-21-2007, 12:34 AM
the networks DONT WANT sports to interfwere with thier programming. fox has made it known they do not want their fall season ****ed up due to a month long baseball postseason.
that's tbs( a cable station) paid to have half the championship series and ALL of the division series. fox only wants the big stuff. like the world series and ASG. saturday baseball fills a hole in thier programming. it's that, stargate, or infomercials.
abc/nbc left baseball along time ago. same as cbs.
I'm talking about the summer months when the big shows are on reruns or not at all.

itsnotrequired
04-21-2007, 09:17 AM
a. yankmees and blow sawks are on national tv ALL THE TIME. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PLAY EACH OTHER.

b. show the same passion? it's april! and it's freezing in over half the country!

c. i dont see how more boston/new york games will help get black kids to play baseball more.

d. monday night football is on cable. same as thursday night and saturday night. apparently, a lot of people have cable. which is why mlb wants to be there. same as the nba, nhl, and nfl. and the cable companies PAY the leagues to be there. espn is paying what abc did for MNF despite lower ratings.

Yes but what about the Inuit kids?

:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
04-21-2007, 09:24 AM
If we count ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox as "national" broadcasts, the Red Sox are on 19 times and the Yankees are on 24 times (10 of those games are against one another). The Sox are on 12 times. Sure, they Yankees have double the games but how big is their fanbase? I would have to imagine it is at least double that of the Sox. The Sox have the same number of "national" games in July as the Yankees and actually one more than the Red Sox. For whatever reason, there are a ton of Yankee/Red Sox games on early in the season. Each team has eight of them in April, a third or more of their entire season total.

But what about stations like TBS and WGN? Should these not count as "national" games as well? If so, the Sox blow them away with 29 games on WGN. Same deal with the Braves. The Sox are in the upper tier in terms of out-of-market fans being able to watch the games without having to purchase a premium service (i.e. Extra Innings).

So ESPN shows the Red Sox/Yankees and hypes it up. What do you expect? Why wouldn't they hype the marquee game on their own network? I don't see that matchup being hyped on WGN.

ewokpelts
04-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm talking about the summer months when the big shows are on reruns or not at all.reality tv shows cost less than baseball broadcasts. and they seem to draw just as well.