Nice win. Big RBI by Erstad too.

And who says Rob M is no starting RF!!!

As always nice job bullpen.

CanBuehrleWait
04-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Fantastic. Here's hoping they keep this role goin after that no no

JB98
I thought Ozzie overmanaged the bullpen, but the relievers did a fantastic job. All of them. Well done, Masset, Aardsma, Thornton, MacDougal and Jenks. :gulp:

NDSox12
First MLB win.... unfortunately it was for Masset rather than Danks, but I'll take it!

chisox77
I like what I see in Danks. He worked hard while he was in there.
Good tough win to open the series.

:cool:

ilsox7
Good win. Good beer.

russ99
Nice clutch hitting by the Sox, and man the bullpen looks great!

cheeses_h_rice
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I missed Uribe's non-error error, which is probably for the better.

Great relief pitching by Thornton, Aardsma, MacDougal and Jenks to keep the Tiggers in their cages.

Great clutch hitting tonight by Paulie, which is great to see after last night's goathorn action.

Above .500 again!

:gulp:

PeoriaSoxFan
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I nevahhh seen a game thread close so fast, I never got a chance to say its ovvaaahhh, 3 games in a row!!!!!! :winner

got to feel good about this one, considering all the screw ups. Nice pitching once again and baseball is all about pitching boys. Go Sox!

Time to celebrate with a Founder's Red Rye! :gulp:

Hendu
04-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Some shaky D led to 3 runs, but a big hit by Paulie and some nice smallball. I LOVE being on the winning end of 1-run games.

Got a little scary at the end, but Bobby's starting to get that velocity back.

ilsox7
04-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I nevahhh seen a game thread close so fast, I never got a chance to say its ovvaaahhh, 3 games in a row!!!!!! :winner

got to feel good about this one, considering all the screw ups. Nice pitching once again and baseball is all about pitching boys. Go Sox!

Time to celebrate with a Founder's Red Rye! :gulp:

Nice choice. Got me a couple Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stouts (which are near impossible to find) for enjoyment at some point in the future.

joebro25
Great win today, this is a game we may not have won last year after that horrible Uribe play. Good to see these guys persevere and get the win.

PeoriaSoxFan
I thought Ozzie overmanaged the bullpen, but the relievers did a fantastic job. All of them. Well done, Masset, Aardsma, Thornton, MacDougal and Jenks. :gulp:

I tend to agree with you. I think he plays the lefty righty thing way too much, which he didn't do during 05, at least per Hawk. I would have left Aaardsma in the 8th, he is a beast!!!! But, alls well that ends well.

MISoxfan
I saw everyone talking about Jenks only hitting 91 on the radar. The Detroit announcers said he his high was 94 and his low was 92, even if the on screen radar was showing otherwise.

Hendu
04-20-2007, 10:13 PM
I saw everyone talking about Jenks only hitting 91 on the radar. The Detroit announcers said he his high was 94 and his low was 92, even if the on screen radar was showing otherwise.

Hawk also said that a pitch was clocked at 94, when the CSN radar gun showed 90.

TomBradley72
:R&R Winning Ugly!

PeoriaSoxFan
Nice choice. Got me a couple Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stouts (which are near impossible to find) for enjoyment at some point in the future.

You the man! Excellent choice as well. Founder's is good all around. Very partial to Centenial IPA. Finishing my Sierra Nevada and going to that Red Rye now. BTW, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, possibly the best brew ever. Sorry Sox fans, for talking beer in this thread, but beer and Sox wins, both make me happy.

Brian26

I'll be over in five minutes after I finish this pizza.

Jenks rules because he didn't give in to Sheff. Loved seehing him drop the hook even with a guy on 3rd base.

PeoriaSoxFan
04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Hawk also said that a pitch was clocked at 94, when the CSN radar gun showed 90.

Again, at the Cell last night, the gun was routinely showing 95 with Jenks. I think he is getting it back. His control is better than it ever has been, save that wild one he threw to advance Polanco to 3rd. you have to feel real good about this bullpen right now,,

Brian26
04-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Granderson is 0-for-6 against Jenks in his career now, with six strikeouts. He didn't have a chance.

PeteWard
04-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I feel a good road trip coming folowed by an even better homestand .

Twins are losing so Sox can gain on them too if KC's bullpen holds.

What exactly did Uribe screw up? I didn't see any errors in the box score.

ilsox7
04-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Jenks rules because he didn't give in to Sheff. Loved seehing him drop the hook even with a guy on 3rd base.

Nice job by the bullpen as a whole! I'll be out shortly, come meet me out for a beer!

Sadly, nothing special on the beer tonight after I go out. The neighborhood I live in is not conducive to good beer, hence my mega-personal stash and kegerator.

And Peoria, you must be a hophead! I've got some Dogfish Head 90 Minute and 120 Minute stashed away somewhere.

veeter
I'm mad they screwed Danks. But impressed they came back to win this ugly one. Great pen. My God, Rob M can rake.

Hendu

I can't believe Sheff got a piece of that...there's no way he was expecting Bobby to come back with the hook.

I'm celebrating with an Oranjeboom. :gulp:

WizardsofOzzie
04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Great to see a little bit of smallball from the sox. 3 runs scored without a HR :thud:

ND_Sox_Fan
04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Again, at the Cell last night, the gun was routinely showing 95 with Jenks. I think he is getting it back. His control is better than it ever has been, save that wild one he threw to advance Polanco to 3rd. you have to feel real good about this bullpen right now,,

I really feel good about the entire pitching staff, not just the pen.

Nice to see them scratch out a few runs late too.

WizardsofOzzie
04-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Uribe called off Mack and Darin on a flyball then lost it and let it drop right in between the 3 of them

PeoriaSoxFan
Nice job by the bullpen as a whole! I'll be out shortly, come meet me out for a beer!

Sadly, nothing special on the beer tonight after I go out. The neighborhood I live in is not conducive to good beer, hence my mega-personal stash and kegerator.

And Peoria, you must be a hophead! I've got some Dogfish Head 90 Minute and 120 Minute stashed away somewhere.

Yeeeaaahhhh. 90 minute IPA is the bomb!!!! I am a hop head, you are dead on. If you are ever in Ptown, stop by Kellehers or Old Chicago (I am completing my 3rd beer tour). Jaycees beerfest tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be sweet. All I need now is a Sox Sweep!!!!!!!!!!

Hendu

2 outs, runner on 2nd. Mags pops up and Uribe backs up and calls Erstad and Mackowiak off, only to give up on the ball and let it drop right between all 3 of them. Tying run scores, then 2 more.

anewman35
04-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Pop-up behind the infield, he called for it, then lost it and it fell in front of Erstad. Should have ended the inning, and instead they scored 3 runs. Even though I know it didn't hurt in the long run, it still annoys me. Poor Danks.

ilsox7
04-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeeeaaahhhh. 90 minute IPA is the bomb!!!! I am a hop head, you are dead on. If you are ever in Ptown, stop by Kellehers or Old Chicago (I am completing my 3rd beer tour). Jaycees beerfest tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be sweet. All I need now is a Sox Sweep!!!!!!!!!!
Peoria scares me. :D:

oeo
04-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Danks is pitching his heart out and has nothing to show for it yet. Hopefully one of these days, all that bad luck will turn into good luck.

PeoriaSoxFan
04-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I really feel good about the entire pitching staff, not just the pen.

Nice to see them scratch out a few runs late too.

Good point ND, the starters are kicking butt also. I really like Danks. His win total and ERA should be lower right now, if he had the support he deserves. BTW, the brother in law supposed to go to Beerfest w/me tomorrow is at the ND Blue Gold Game. He has never been there and will be basically be like Rudy's Dad bawling in the stands..., when he sees the Stadium, et. al. ..

DickAllen72
And who says Rob M is no starting RF!!!

:?:

PeoriaSoxFan
Peoria scares me. :D:

2 words.... Big Als

cheezheadsoxfan
04-20-2007, 10:22 PM
2 outs, runner on 2nd. Mags pops up and Uribe backs up and calls Erstad and Mackowiak off, only to give up on the ball and let it drop right between all 3 of them. Tying run scores, then 2 more.

If memory serves, I think he did that last year too but if Mack was in CF who knows. Good thing is they overcame it and great to see Paulie contribute.

whitesoxwilkes
04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to who Tony is?

(I rarely read the game threads)

Thanks!

PeteWard
2 outs, runner on 2nd. Mags pops up and Uribe backs up and calls Erstad and Mackowiak off, only to give up on the ball and let it drop right between all 3 of them. Tying run scores, then 2 more.'

Thanks for the info. I really think they need to change the rule there and give out an error on plays like that. It shouldn't be on the pitcher. If you can't single one guy out, give a team error. I don't understand that "didn't touch the glove" thing either since a roller between the legs that is untouched is always ruled an error.

DickAllen72
Who's Tony?

cheezheadsoxfan
04-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Just said on WSCR that JD was pulled because of the sore shin. Said he should be back tomorrow tho.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
'

Thanks for the info. I really think they need to change the rule there and give out an error on plays like that. It shouldn't be on the pitcher. If you can't single one guy out, give a team error. I don't understand that "didn't touch the glove" thing either since a roller between the legs that is untouched is always ruled an error.

It has been recorded this way for years. I see no point in changing it now.

Hendu
04-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Just said on WSCR that JD was pulled because of the sore shin. Said he should be back tomorrow tho.

Must be from the ball he fouled off his leg. He looked pretty bad on the following swing (striking out), like he wasn't feeling too comfortable.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM

Thanks!

Typical clueless mod...

:redneck

PeoriaSoxFan
04-20-2007, 10:29 PM
It has been recorded this way for years. I see no point in changing it now.

You are right, but it is a shame to see Danks ERA go up on that sequence. Still, he gave up the hit..., but....this kid has pitched good and I think he is going to be something special. So far, Kenny looks good on the trade.

BTW, has Garcia pitched yet this year? The National league barely exists to me, so I don't pay much attention to it.

INSox56
04-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I normally don't swear in front of my ma...much...but uribe's "non-error" really chapped my ass. I was letting the fbombs fly after that one. Only because we finally put Danks in a position for a W and then that bull****. He deserved more. Pathetic Uribe...I wonder if Oz will bench him tomorrow, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't see how he could have lost the ball...it's a black sky and last I checked, there are no lights in the middle of the sky. 2 runs off of bases loaded no outs and no runs off of a 1 out triple really bothers me.

INSox56
04-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Again, at the Cell last night, the gun was routinely showing 95 with Jenks. I think he is getting it back. His control is better than it ever has been, save that wild one he threw to advance Polanco to 3rd. you have to feel real good about this bullpen right now,,I tend to disagree...I missed the last pitch, but I heard that it was a curve. If it was, that'd be the first hook that he's thrown for a strike in some time (that wasn't hit) from what I can remember.

Brian26
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
clueless mod...

That's a bit redundant. :D:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Just heard McCarthy gave up 6 earned runs on 4 hits in the 1st inning. I'm not gloating cause I like McCarthy personally but the trade's looking better and better.

ChiSoxLifer
04-20-2007, 10:37 PM
You are right, but it is a shame to see Danks ERA go up on that sequence. Still, he gave up the hit..., but....this kid has pitched good and I think he is going to be something special. So far, Kenny looks good on the trade.

BTW, has Garcia pitched yet this year? The National league barely exists to me, so I don't pay much attention to it.

1 start versus Mets (a loss)
4.2 innings, 3 ER, 6Ks, 2 BBs, 8 hits. 5.79 era. 2 stolen bases allowed.

Brian26
04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Just heard McCarthy gave up 6 earned runs on 4 hits in the 1st inning. I'm not gloating cause I like McCarthy personally but the trade's looking better and better.

Don't mean to jump down your throat, but this really has nothing to do with the Sox game. Probably should post that in a McCarthy thread in Talking Baseball.

Navarro's Talent
04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I love the pitching! :supernana:

Go Sox!!!

WizardsofOzzie
04-20-2007, 10:40 PM

Thanks!

Who's Tony?
Tony is our grinderrrrific Rally Tiger (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1545284&postcount=163) As you can see by CLR's sig, he's had quite a deal of success when he makes an apperance in a game thread

cheezheadsoxfan
04-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Don't mean to jump down your throat, but this really has nothing to do with the Sox game. Probably should post that in a McCarthy thread in Talking Baseball.

Sorry:redface:

oeo
04-20-2007, 10:42 PM
1 start versus Mets (a loss)
4.2 innings, 3 ER, 6Ks, 2 BBs, 8 hits. 5.79 era. 2 stolen bases allowed.

Can't wait until we play Philly...we'll send Paulie and he will steal a couple of bags. :redneck

PeteWard
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Can't wait until we play Philly...we'll send Paulie and he will steal a couple of bags. :redneck

That's agreat quote by Garland as your signature. We need it during these game day threads when the mood goes black in the top of the first and the Sox haven't scored 5.

BoysMom3
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Great game! I missed the nerve wracking parts because my family started out watching it at Buffalo Wild Wings in East Peoria and then had a couple errands to run before catching the rest of it at home. I loved watching Iguchi hit that homer on the big screen.

I was just going to ask about that Tony myself today - I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it. I'm new though so I have an excuse! ;)

Vernam
04-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Nice to see Paulie come through in his third AB in 24 hours with the bases loaded. That's pressure, man, after he whiffed in the first two AB.

Uribe is a very fortunate guy right now, and I doubt that the W is sparing him a lecture from OG. Several times last year, he went too deep to chase a pop, so maybe he'll learn not to wave the outfields off unless he's camped right under the ball. That was absolutely brutal.

Danks finally gets a run scored on his behalf! Woo-hoo! :gulp:

Bullpen = scary good. I loved watching Sheffield argue Jenks's called third strike, though it was clearly a good call.

Vernam

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 10:55 PM
That's like really funny and all but who the **** is Tony?

I think someone answered it earlier in the thread. I don't know when it started.

whitesoxwilkes
04-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I think someone answered it earlier in the thread. I don't know when it started.

Someone did.

I replied too soon.

My bad.

JB98
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Nice to see Paulie come through in his third AB in 24 hours with the bases loaded. That's pressure, man, after he whiffed in the first two AB.

Uribe is a very fortunate guy right now, and I doubt that the W is sparing him a lecture from OG. Several times last year, he went too deep to chase a pop, so maybe he'll learn not to wave the outfields off unless he's camped right under the ball. That was absolutely brutal.

Danks finally gets a run scored on his behalf! Woo-hoo! :gulp:

Bullpen = scary good. I loved watching Sheffield argue Jenks's called third strike, though it was clearly a good call.

Vernam

That pitch had the whole plate.

Sheffield = Steroid-using idiot.

I took special joy in seeing his dumb ass fail miserably in the clutch.

HotelWhiteSox
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Not sure what happened, it looked like Uribe heard someone else, or must've lost in the lights and just bailed, but whatever, it means 0 now, as the team picked him up. Good win

Vernam
04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Not sure what happened, it looked like Uribe heard someone else, or must've lost in the lights and just bailed, but whatever, it means 0 now, as the team picked him up. Good winJust my opinion, but it looked like he sprinted to a spot (good technique) and then waved them off before he looked up again to pick up the ball (very bad technique). When he couldn't find the ball, he tried to clear out of the way, but it was too late for Erstad to get there.

Vernam

chisox77
04-20-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't think Uribe is going to make too many fielding mistakes this year. It actually looks like he may have one of his best overall seasons. His homer early in the game was crucial (he has four for the season). He'll be fine.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Pathetic Uribe...I wonder if Oz will bench him tomorrow, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't see how he could have lost the ball...it's a black sky and last I checked, there are no lights in the middle of the sky.

Ozzie will probably just hit him with his car and back over him a few times for good measure.

goon
04-20-2007, 11:22 PM
I love winning ugly. Danks pitched well, Konerko, Iguchi and Uribe stepped up when we needed them.

that's three straight, let's make it four.

Tragg
04-20-2007, 11:23 PM
That pitch had the whole plate.

I just saw it on ESPN - that was a great pitch. He should have just turned and walked away like a man.

chisox77
04-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Just a thought - there's something about this year's Sox that I really like. Even in some of the losses, it seems that they have that hunger again. I hope my feelings are right, because I know that the White Sox reside in a very tough division, and a stacked American League. It should be a great summer and promising fall. I just like what I see, because I know that they'll eventually hit more.

JB98
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I just saw it on ESPN - that was a great pitch. He should have just turned and walked away like a man.

As Hawk would say, tip your cap and grab some bench. Knee-buckling breaking ball. Sheffield was getting borderline calls his way all night. He's just a whiner.

CLR01
04-20-2007, 11:32 PM

It all started Wednesday with Tony's first appearance in a game thread. He regrets that he didn't show up until the 6th inning, that game would have been prefect. :(: Thursday it was decided that he would be, for obvious reasons, the official Grinder Mascot and a rally Tiger. He made his game thread appearance in the top of the 8th inning, with two outs, and the Sox promptly put up a three spot in the bottom of the frame. Tonight he made his appearance in the bottom of the 5th inning, again with 2 outs, and the Sox proceeded to put up 2 runs in the top of the 6th. He is quickly becoming a crooked number specialist. His stats this year are impressive so far. Bobby Jenks would like to eat the tiger and Gammons_Peter hates him. Between us, I think it is jealousy. :dunno:

cws05champ
04-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Nice win tonight, more late clutch hitting and the BP was shutdown...a few observations on my behalf:

Danks looked pretty good again...looked a little shaky a few times when he didn't get some calls. That's the 1st time I have seen that from him.

Uribe looked like he was right underneath that ball and acted like he heard one of the OF call him off and peeled away. In watching Uribe play, he NEVER peels off a ball when he has a bead on it, even if it is the OF play. So when he peeled off this time the OF were not agressive going after it and it was too late.

Ozzie did over manage the BP...I don't know why Boone Logan was brought up if he isn't going to be used as the LOOGY. Thorton is more than a L/L matchup pitcher...he should be in there for a whole inning.

Jenks doesn't need to throw 98mph if he can locate the cutter and slider like he did tonight. He didn't have command of the hard curve, but he really doesn't need it if he has the other two working. If he doesn't have command of the cutter and slider that's when he needs to throw 98 to get by with just the FB.

Anyways...enough with my ramblings. Nice win! Happy happy joy joy!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

mark2olson
04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
3 in a row, way to go Sox!

JB98
04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
"I felt I had worked the count to 3-2," said Sheffield. "But he called a strike, and there's nothing I can do about it."

Go **** yourself, Gary. Admit it: You got served.

jdm2662
04-21-2007, 12:32 AM
"I felt I had worked the count to 3-2," said Sheffield. "But he called a strike, and there's nothing I can do about it."

Go **** yourself, Gary. Admit it: You got served.

There is a reason why I simply refer to him as *******. I saved steriod boy for Giambi.

Tragg
04-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Danks pitched pretty well tonight, but Massett got a W and he really deserved one for general solid efforts all season long.

After seeing the pop up, I must say - and I know I beat on the guy - but Erstad should have had that ball. He's the CF, it's his ball, and he had time to recover for Uribe.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2007, 12:40 AM
That was a statement game to come back against the Tigers at their own ballpark like that. Hopefully this season series is completely dominated by the Good Guys.

AnkleSox
04-21-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm sure its been said, and i'm sure its lame, but you know you're gonna win on 4-20 when a guy named Danks starts, even if he doesnt get the win.

and im way out of my stoner days too. but seriously all around good effort, i'm glad to see some actual determination in this team

Grzegorz
04-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Despite some mental lapses it was a good win. All wins against teams in your division are good wins.

pearso66
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I Personally blame that pop up on one of the OFers. Mack or Erstad should have called off Uribe, and the way he backed off, it looked like Mack called him off. There was no reason why one of our OFers shouldn't have gotten there, it looked like both of them could have easily made it there. Do your job and take charge