PDA

View Full Version : Crazy play at Wrigley

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 04:01 PM
3-2 count, Cedeno steals 2nd, Jones walks. Cedeno not knowing of the walk slid into 2nd. He then over slid with Eckstein then applying the tag thus causing Cedeno to be called out. I have never seen this before. Would this be a pickoff awarded to Molina?

MikeLove
04-20-2007, 04:03 PM
haha are you kidding me?!?! only the cubs lol

CHISOXFAN13
04-20-2007, 04:04 PM
This postgame presser by Piniella should be interesting.

Jaffar
04-20-2007, 04:06 PM
3 wise men on ESPN are discussing it now.....HILARIOUS!

Jerko
Cedeno???? I assume he pinch-ran. That's REALLY bad.......

cleanwsox
Leave it to the Cubs to turn a walk into an out.

MUsoxfan
04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
It was a bizarre game of calls. A phantom tag at 1st that was first called safe...then out. A weird pop-up bunt resulting in a bearhug interference call that I don't see how it wasn't a triple play. And then that play in the 9th. Strange day on the northside

SBSoxFan
04-20-2007, 04:10 PM
It was a bizarre game of calls. A phantom tag at 1st that was first called safe...then out. A weird pop-up bunt resulting in a bearhug interference call that I don't see how it wasn't a triple play. And then that play in the 9th. Strange day on the northside

And yet the end result is typical.

soltrain21
04-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Bob and Len were flipping out about the call at first for about 7 innings. Pretty dumb considering Derosa missed the bag by about 2 feet.

MUsoxfan
04-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Bob and Len were flipping out about the call at first for about 7 innings. Pretty dumb considering Derosa missed the bag by about 2 feet.

The only thing they have a gripe about was the fact that the ump signaled safe. If he just stood still and waited for him to either touch the bag or get tagged, there would be no debate.

infohawk
04-20-2007, 04:13 PM
This postgame presser by Piniella should be interesting.
If I were Cedeno, I wouldn't go anywhere near Lou until he has a chance to calm down. I would suspect Lou's really going to lay into him for not being game aware.

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Lou is speechless.
His facial expressions are killing me right now.

mrfourni
04-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Lou is speechless.
His facial expressions are killing me right now.

The Cubs have now done something that many thought impossible.

soltrain21
04-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Lou already wants out, it seems.

Jaffar
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I wonder what kind of jinx causes this to happen?

cheeses_h_rice
04-20-2007, 04:22 PM
And another 1-run loss for them...that's at least 5 this year already.

thepaulbowski
04-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I wonder what kind of jinx causes this to happen?

A goat, black cat & a guy wearing headphones & listening to Dave Matthews...:cool:

santo=dorf
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I was wondering why it said "Jones walks. Cedeno out at second."

Would someone explain this one to me? "On-field delay." Was it raining trash again?:rolleyes:

Rockabilly
04-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Rule 7.04. It's pretty clear. You can't overrun a base on a walk or you are fair game to be tagged out:

jenn2080
04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Lou already wants out, it seems.

If he was smart he would have never agreed to go there in the first place.

HotelWhiteSox
04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I saw the last 2 outs. Then after that play at 2nd, they had the camera away from the action for a while, and you got Len muttering something about about 'debris [something something] LaRussa' and then ignore it. You could kind of see the garbage on the field in the background for the last out. Funny how no one ever calls out their 'fans' for using their shrine as their trash can. Talk about double standard, Sox fans are under the microscope on every little thing, almost as if to try and turn positive events into negative stories, while they always get the pass.

eriqjaffe
04-20-2007, 04:53 PM
If he was smart he would have never agreed to go there in the first place.Looks easy from the press box, I guess.

daveeym
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
On the radio Pat was talking about the debris and how it's always dissapointing when that happens...across the league.

JB98
04-20-2007, 05:03 PM
On the radio Pat was talking about the debris and how it's always dissapointing when that happens...across the league.

I can't remember the last time I've seen debris thrown on the field at any place other than Wrigley.

It's a true blue Cubbie tradition: When things go wrong, start throwing ****.

getonbckthr
04-20-2007, 05:04 PM
It will always be an attractive job because if your the one to get them a title you will be considered a folk hero

peeonwrigley
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I was wondering why it said "Jones walks. Cedeno out at second."

Would someone explain this one to me? "On-field delay." Was it raining trash again?:rolleyes:

I was at the game this afternoon (spare me the condescending remarks). You better believe it rained trash today. Not quite to the degree of after AJ's bomb last summer, but certainly lots of trash coming in from the bleachers. I couldn't believe they played the last out without cleaning.

The delay was for La Russa and then Pinella to argue. There was no trash delay, but there should have been. It definitely could have impacted play.

daveeym
04-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I love how the media keeps asking Lou if he now understands what the problem is with this team. He's gonna go crazy on that question if they keep on asking it. Either go off about the team or go off on the media.

WizardsofOzzie
04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I almost feel sorry for Cub fans......almost :D:

MarySwiss
04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Wow. Just when you think they've figured out all the possible ways to lose, they come up with another one! :o:

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
We should be careful about gloating over the Cubs' "fortunes" this year under their new manager (who is not a bad manager, by the way).

They remind me of another team in MLB who sacked a mediocre manager who was quite passive and hired a passionate man for the job. During that passionate man's first year, he was stuck with the passive man's team, but in the off-season he got the team he needed/wanted from his GM. In the first year he had "his" team, he won the World Series.

Yes, Rusty Dusty=General Chaos of whatever it was we called Jerry (as in "Dumpjerry").

I just hope we don't eat our words of today in a year or two when Lou gets the players he wants to play his style of baseball. In that weak-as-water division, they could find themselves in the playoffs with a 83-79 record (*cough* 2006 Cards *cough*) where anything can happen in the National League's postseason.

FedEx227
04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
We should be careful about gloating over the Cubs' "fortunes" this year under their new manager (who is not a bad manager, by the way).

They remind me of another team in MLB who sacked a mediocre manager who was quite passive and hired a passionate man for the job. During that passionate man's first year, he was stuck with the passive man's team, but in the off-season he got the team he needed/wanted from his GM. In the first year he had "his" team, he won the World Series.

Yes, Rusty Dusty=General Chaos of whatever it was we called Jerry (as in "Dumpjerry").

I just hope we don't eat our words of today in a year or two when Lou gets the players he wants to play his style of baseball. In that weak-as-water division, they could find themselves in the playoffs with a 83-79 record (*cough* 2006 Cards *cough*) where anything can happen in the National League's postseason.

But you're forgetting this is the Cubs. They FIND ways to lose. They have to be one of the few teams to turn a walk into a game-ending out.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 06:50 PM
But you're forgetting this is the Cubs. They FIND ways to lose. They have to be one of the few teams to turn a walk into a game-ending out.
I know, I know. But we should not become complacent.

PaulDrake
04-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I saw the last 2 outs. Then after that play at 2nd, they had the camera away from the action for a while, and you got Len muttering something about about 'debris [something something] LaRussa' and then ignore it. You could kind of see the garbage on the field in the background for the last out. Funny how no one ever calls out their 'fans' for using their shrine as their trash can. Talk about double standard, Sox fans are under the microscope on every little thing, almost as if to try and turn positive events into negative stories, while they always get the pass. Calling George Knue. Are you there George?

Bobapples1993
04-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh man, Ronny Cedeno sucks so much!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Moses_Scurry
04-21-2007, 06:55 AM

That division won't be so weak by then. Teams like Cincinatti and Milwaukee are starting to show signs of 90+ win teams. Plus, the Cards won't stay this bad very long. If the AL Central over the past 5 years has taught us anything, it's that division strength is very cyclical. Two years ago, San Diego won the west with a pathetic record!

AnkleSox
04-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I saw the last 2 outs. Then after that play at 2nd, they had the camera away from the action for a while, and you got Len muttering something about about 'debris [something something] LaRussa' and then ignore it. You could kind of see the garbage on the field in the background for the last out. Funny how no one ever calls out their 'fans' for using their shrine as their trash can. Talk about double standard, Sox fans are under the microscope on every little thing, almost as if to try and turn positive events into negative stories, while they always get the pass.

I was at the game with a few friends, one of whom happens to be a cardinals fan. The verbal abuse he took was not even offensive because it was so stupid. One person had a great "shove the arch up your ass" comment.

But back to the play. After the call, garbage was flying everywhere, especially from the bleachers. The cardinals fans there were appalled that someone would treat their own team's field with such disrespect. I do have to say i thought it was hilarious.

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh man, Ronny Cedeno sucks so much!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:
I thought it was pretty damn funny myself :redneck

PennStater98r
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM

Someone has to pick up the trash.

I said this at the time of the hiring - Lou is over-rated and does not teach fundamental baseball - over sliding second base on a base-on-balls is evidence of that.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Someone has to pick up the trash.

I said this at the time of the hiring - Lou is over-rated and does not teach fundamental baseball - over sliding second base on a base-on-balls is evidence of that.

I thought it was a heads-up play by Eckstein too though. How many players would have simply caught the ball and walked/tossed it back to the pitcher after seeing the batter walk?

PennStater98r
04-24-2007, 11:20 AM

No disrespect intended Jer, but just tell me what Lou has accomplished anywhere. I know he won the Series with the Reds, but wasn't that a team he inherited from Pete Rose? I know he led the Mariners to a record breaking season record in wins, but what'd they do in the post season with a team of stars?

I just don't see the the Sox in the Cubs at all. First of all, Pinella would have had to sign off on bringing Soriano over - and that was not a good idea in the least. He's not the ball player that every Cub fan claims him to be. The pitching that they signed in the off season is - again - horrible. It looks good now, but it won't for the entire season. When the bats come around, the pitching will fall apart - as we watch Prior go in for surgery.

I think that if we were going to draw the comparison, we'd have to at least consider the kind of money they spent in this off season to bring over players that won't get it done...

The Sox didn't go for high profile Sorianos. They didn't extend the contract of an A-Ram. They went for guys that could play the right role and win. Cubs are still too concerned with keeping butts in the seats - and the fans are too concerned with big names and big headlines - none of which will be "Cubs Win the World Series"

Chicken Dinner
04-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Why do you think Santo is in the hospital.

AZChiSoxFan
04-25-2007, 06:05 PM

But at least there weren't any more 40 foot curveballs.