PDA

View Full Version : Desperation or senility from ol' Uncle Charlie? You make the call...

EastCoastSoxFan
04-20-2007, 04:11 PM
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070418&content_id=1916795&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi

Let me see if I have this right: move your #1 starter (who happens to be just coming into his prime) to the bullpen and replace him with a past-his-prime (and I use the word 'prime' loosely), injury prone, and whiny back-of-the-rotation starter?

I can only imagine the threads around here last year if Contreras or Buehrle had suddenly been moved to the bullpen to make room for McCarthy...

UserNameBlank
04-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah I don't get that either.

I also didn't get the Adam Eaton signing either, so nothing new.

JohnTucker0814
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Nice comments by Myers... you know he has to be screaming on the inside about being moved to MR. It's not like he was replaced in the starting rotation by a guy that is better than him. I could see if he was the #5 starter and the Phillies just got back a top rotation guy to replace him, but come on? Jon Lieber? Manual needs to be fired ASAP over this! I'd be completely ticked off if I was a Phillies fan!

EastCoastSoxFan
04-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, somebody forgot to tell Uncle Charlie that your starter has to pitch well enough for your team to HAVE a lead in the eighth inning in order for you to be able to call in your setup guy to protect it...

nodiggity59
04-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I hate how people are over reacting to this move. It seems clear to me that the Phils want to showcase Lieber in the rotation to trade him for MR. At that point, Myers will be moved back.

I mean come on, Phils management is probably behind this anyways b/c they want to dump Lieber's salary, hopefully to the Yanks.

Now Myers can use the regular work in MR to work out his kinks, just as pitchers do in Spring Training. The season is a marathon, not a sprint, and the Phils will be better off with a good reliever and the extra $ to make a deal at the dead line. So they miss a hand full of starts from Myers. Big deal. Lieber will keep them in games till he gets traded.

Tragg
04-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't think it's such a bad move. When Atlanta had no bullpen, they moved their best pitcher to the pen; same with Boston. I don't think it's usually a great idea, but when you're deep in starters and extremely think in the pen (as Philly is), it might work.

soxinem1
04-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Even though Myers has been getting hammered a bit, I cannot see why you give up on him after 2-3 starts.

Geez, we gave Josh Stewart five starts a few years ago before he was sent back to AAA. And he was a rookie!!!

Lieber has worked relief before, I'm sure he could have handled it. Having six guys for five spots is a nice little pet to have. Now they goofed it up!!