PDA

View Full Version : How much of a Sox fanatic are you? (and why)

tony1972
04-20-2007, 03:52 PM
If you had to rate you're die-hardedness on a scale of 1 to 10..what rating would you give yourself?

a 1 would be you like the White Sox...are happy when they win..but don't really care too much if they lose...you try to catch the games on TV...but don't miss other programming to catch the Sox....you go to the games more for fun than to see a win...

5 would be a Sox win makes your entire day and a Sox loss ruins your day...you try to go to a game every home stand and try to catch as many games as possible on TV or the radio..but don't alter you're life too much to do so...

10 would be you live and die with this team, you follow them on the road..you've spend a lot of money on their mechandise every year, etc..you almost never miss a game....you will miss an important event to hear a broadcast on TV or the radio..you attend almost every game and change your plans to catch the Sox..

I would rate myself probably about a 4....if I go to a game..I'm disappointed if they lose..but it only lasts a few hours and I try to go to a game generally every homestand..but only if I can...

CLR01
04-20-2007, 03:53 PM
1. I would rather be watching a Cubs game most of the time.

MUsoxfan
04-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I'd put myself at a 6 or a 7. I used to be an 8 or a 9, then after the World Series I got this feeling of being content and I've calmed down a bit. It's probably a good thing for my family and friends too:cool:

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 03:57 PM
2. If the dishes are done and laundry is put away, I'll turn on the radio to get a score.

minutia
04-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I am about a 7 or 8. I go to as many games as I can afford. I watch or listen as much as I can. I track wins in losses on a White Sox calandar with a specific black Sharpie pen. When they slump I have been known to place a St. Jude prayer card on the calandar when the slump began. I get my game jersey blessed by a priest at my parrish before the start of every season.
I am trying to dial it back this season and not get totally nutty/obsessed until at least the end of June though.

tony1972
04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I am about a 7 or 8. I go to as many games as I can afford. I watch or listen as much as I can. I track wins in losses on a White Sox calandar with a specific black Sharpie pen. When they slump I have been known to place a St. Jude prayer card on the calandar when the slump began. I get my game jersey blessed by a priest at my parrish before the start of every season.
I am trying to dial it back this season and not get totally nutty/obsessed until at least the end of June though.

:D: Are you sure you're only a 7 or 8 ?

Justagirl
04-20-2007, 04:12 PM
About a 3. I rarely, if ever miss a [televised] game. I collect all the merchandise, plan dinner & housework around game times, have broken a remote or 2 out of anger, and have been so happy Ive almost shed tears of joy. I get over it though [wins or losses]. The only thing is I don't get to attend games as much as I'd like to.

Edit: Ah, I forgot about the old tracking W & L on the [homemade] calendar w/ the special sharpie.

minutia
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
:D: Are you sure you're only a 7 or 8 ?
Yes, I have really cooled it this season. It is not easy though. I have never lost my mind over a loss or anything. I take a baseball season in stride but I can get really nuts. Being very superstious does not help one bit..

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
About a 3. I rarely, if ever miss a [televised] game. I collect all the merchandise, plan dinner & housework around game times, have broken a remote or 2 out of anger, and have been so happy Ive almost shed tears of joy. I get over it though [wins or losses]. The only thing is I don't get to attend games as much as I'd like to.

Edit: Ah, I forgot about the old tracking W & L on the [homemade] calendar w/ the special sharpie.
Less than 15? You're a 1!:rolleyes:

BiggestFan14
04-20-2007, 04:21 PM
As a fanatic I know I am a 10.

But in that scale I am a 7 or 8 mostly because I am not able to go to every game and waste all my money on Sox stuff. But I go to 26 games a year, watch the rest on tv, have plenty of Sox merchandise, and eat a lot of churros.:smile:

Iwritecode
04-20-2007, 04:32 PM
1. I would rather be watching a Cubs game most of the time.

No wonder you were banned. :troll

:tongue:

pdimas
04-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Definitely a 10 for both my pops and myself. Well actually i would be a 9.5 compared to my dad and this is only because whereas last year I missed about 10 games he missed less than 5 and then made them up by going to Cincy and Oakland (i only made it to Cincy). We also go to Spring Training, buy a ton of Sox gear every year, tailgate almost every game, base our summer around the Sox, and every year when the season is ready to start we are so antsy its ridiculous. We refer to our fellow tailgaters / Sox friends as our summer family. My dad has been known on occasion to be sent to his room when the Sox lose because he is so grumpy. One of our favorite days of the year is when our Sox tix arrive. We both gather our boxes sit down in the family room and open them at the same time. If we aren't together watching the game we constantly call each other for updates. Its pretty cool because we really do not have that much in common and no matter what ever happens we can always talk about baseball.

MeteorsSox4367
04-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I'll go with a 9. When they won the Series, I literally stood in front of the TV crying and screaming. Not good for the neighbors, but cathartic for a lifelong Sox fan. As for merchandise, the people at Grandstand are starting to recognize me when I shop there. It also doesn't help that I work right down 35th from the Cell. I literally have 12 different styles of Sox t-shirts.

I watch just about every game and listen in the car when I'm not at home. I don't get PO'd and whip the remote at the screen if they lose, but I will utter some choice words.

The day I started my current job six years ago, I stopped at the site of the original Comiskey's home plate and said a short prayer of thanks and to hope that things would work out, which they have.

I guess it's just that my grandfather was a Sox fan and my Dad is a Sox fan, therefore I'm a Sox fan. In fact, my family had a surprise 40th for me on Easter in a suite at the Cell. My family and friends aren't 'suite-type' of people, but to celebrate with them at a Sox game meant the world to me, even if the Sox did lose to the damn Twins and Santana.

As for Chicago teams, the only team that comes close to the Sox is the Hawks. They occupy slot No. 1A, but my heart will always belong to baseball and the Sox.

Jerko
04-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Based on the original post, I say 8 or 9 as I don't do road games.

DaBears
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd say I'm a five. I go to about half the home games annually, and watch a lot of games on TV (when I dont have other plans). I dont do road games, but I spend way too much money on the Sox.

(if you asked this same question about the bears, I would say a 10! but there are only 16 games as opposed to 162, so its not nearly as time consuming)

AJ Hellraiser
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Honestly, my personality changes as this team goes... When they win, I am all smiles and talking people's heads off.. when they lose, i am pissed all day/night and don't really care to do anything.. kinda sick actually

Before I got a job, back in HS and college, my nights didn't begin until the Sox were done playing.. even over the summer, if all my friends were going somewhere at 9 and the Sox game wasn't over I didn't budge from the couch... when they were on the west coast, forget about it...

:)

WSox597
04-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Probably a 4 or 5 here. My wife and I watch as many games as possible, and she even more than me almost never misses a game.

We went nuts when they won the Series, and again the other night for MB's no-hitter. I'm not too happy when the Sox lose, especially if they do something stupid to lose. But I get over it, and line up for the next game.

But I'm a White Sox fan, if they're not playing, I'm not watching baseball. Same thing with most other sports. If the Bulls, Bears and Sox aren't playing, I'm not watching the sport. I make an exception for hockey, which I really love.

I understand that sometime in the near future Chicago is getting an NHL franchise. I can't wait. :redneck

chisox77
04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Ideally, a 6.
Mostly, a 5.
Used to be, a 7.

Since the World Series, I am content. Most of that Sox "edginess" is gone. But the best things about being a White Sox fan remain - good knowledge of the team (players' stats, etc., team status, W-L record) and the game of baseball, and when I am at the game, I watch it! And there's nothing like having a White Sox game on television, and hearing Hawk's voice.

:cool:

AJ Hellraiser
04-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Since the World Series, I am content. Most of that Sox "edginess" is gone. But the best things about being a White Sox fan remain - good knowledge of the team (players' stats, etc., team status, W-L record) and the game of baseball, and when I am at the game, I watch it! And there's nothing like having a White Sox game on television, and hearing Hawk's voice.

:cool:

See, I am kinda the opposite... I mean I was always a 9, even before the Series... but since winning the World Series I have become more intense and I find myself taking losses much harder.....

before the Series win, it was like oh well they lost again... now, I expect them to win each and every game because I expect greatness and don't want to accept less than that....

Jurr
04-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I'd have to say a 6, but that's a proximity issue. I have well over a grand invested in jerseys alone, I watch almost every game, and if I lived closer (which is about to be remedied), I'd be there for 75% of the home games.

When I make my move in June, push that on up to a 7 or 8. I sincerely believe that you can't be a 10 and have a career or girlfriend/wife/family.

Jurr
04-20-2007, 06:26 PM
See, I am kinda the opposite... I mean I was always a 9, even before the Series... but since winning the World Series I have become more intense and I find myself taking losses much harder.....

before the Series win, it was like oh well they lost again... now, I expect them to win each and every game because I expect greatness and don't want to accept less than that....
Really? I accept losses a little better now because there isn't that overlying desperation to win it all for the first time in my life.

I now appreciate how hard it is to win a WS. If you think about it, as good as the '05 season was, the whole thing could've turned on a couple of plays.
Crede's walkoff avoided big trouble.
What would've happened if El Duque didn't close out that inning?
AJ's play against LA?

As good as that team was, winning a WS stood at the edge of a knife. It's hard to win one, and I'm eternally happy the Sox won that first one in my lifetime. Now, I want to see 'em win another and another (etc.), but it'll never tear a hole in me like it used to.

The Critic
04-20-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd say I'm a 2 or 3. As I've gotten older I've realized just how small of a thing a Sox loss is (or that of any other team I root for, for that matter).
I used to hover around an 8 or 9 when I was in my early 20's, especially about the Blackhawks. You didn't want to be around me if they lost. Then I had my Moment Of Clarity :D:, when this simple thought came to me:
"I'm probably more upset about the loss than they are, and that ain't right."
I've been much better about sports ever since.

...and as others have mentioned, the memory of the 2005 season also helps a lot. I never thought I'd see a Sox World Series victory, so now Sox losses are much much easier to handle.

WSox73
04-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Really? I accept losses a little better now because there isn't that overlying desperation to win it all for the first time in my life.

I now appreciate how hard it is to win a WS. If you think about it, as good as the '05 season was, the whole thing could've turned on a couple of plays.
Crede's walkoff avoided big trouble.
What would've happened if El Duque didn't close out that inning?
AJ's play against LA?

As good as that team was, winning a WS stood at the edge of a knife. It's hard to win one, and I'm eternally happy the Sox won that first one in my lifetime. Now, I want to see 'em win another and another (etc.), but it'll never tear a hole in me like it used to.

That's exactly the way I feel. :)

RealMenWearBlack
04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I'd say I'm about an 7 to 8 considering where I am in life. I don't go on road trips to see the Sox, but I would if I could afford it. I plan on being a full season ticket holder once I'm able to afford it. I usually only miss games on TV if work interferes. I usually don't take individual losses so bad because the season is so long and you're going to lose games, but I do get upset if it looks like they're giving an effort and they play fundamentally sound ball. I have a good amount of apparel, and I think I'm considered "The White Sox Guy" by most of my friends.

comiskey2000
04-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I'd say I'm a 2 or 3. As I've gotten older I've realized just how small of a thing a Sox loss is (or that of any other team I root for, for that matter).
I used to hover around an 8 or 9 when I was in my early 20's, especially about the Blackhawks. You didn't want to be around me if they lost. Then I had my Moment Of Clarity :D:, when this simple thought came to me:
"I'm probably more upset about the loss than they are, and that ain't right."
I've been much better about sports ever since.

...and as others have mentioned, the memory of the 2005 season also helps a lot. I never thought I'd see a Sox World Series victory, so now Sox losses are much much easier to handle.

Could not have been better said. This will not be too popular here but it is just a game. Now I love watching the team as much as the next person. Is is great to be a fan with some emotional investment but too much is not good. Fans should not care more than the players themselves. The movie 'Fever Pitch' explains it all.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I would consider myself a 6 or 7 but based on these rankings, I'd say 4. I only go to a few games each year since I'm only 18 and don't have a car, but in the future I'm sure I'll go more often. I watch most of the games but don't mind missing one if I go out with friends (as I did on Wednesday but luckily I got home in time to see Mark finish his no no). But it does bother me if I miss too many games and sometimes (like tonight) I choose to stay home and watch the game instead of go out. I get upset when they lose but get over it quickly. But I definitely consider it a good day when the Sox win, regardless of what else happens throughout the day.

cws05champ
04-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm probably a 6-7, since I live out of town I don;t get to too many games but will get to as many as I can. I never miss a game on TV(thank you Tivo) and I feel depressed if they lose, and happier when they win. Maybe I shouldn't feel this way....but I can't help it. I just love the Sox and baseball!!

JB98
04-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Certainly a 9. I've only followed the Sox on the road once, last year in KC. I don't make a habit of it. Still every day during the season revolves around that day's game. If we win, it's a great day. If we lose, I pretty much seeth for the rest of the night.

oeo
04-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I don't understand the way this ranking system works. I'm at school so I can't go to any games right now, and even when I'm home, I don't go to that many. But I'm a little more than (okay, a lot more) obsessed. I couldn't live without White Sox baseball. I'd say I'm a 9 or 10...some people can't go the games like others can. Believe me, if I could, I'd be at all 162 of them.

CLR01
04-21-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't understand the way this ranking system works. I'm at school so I can't go to any games right now, and even when I'm home, I don't go to that many. But I'm a little more than (okay, a lot more) obsessed. I couldn't live without White Sox baseball. I'd say I'm a 9 or 10...some people can't go the games like others can. Believe me, if I could, I'd be at all 162 of them.

Yeah the poll is a little extreme. 1 your a Cubs fan like I am and 10 you are Ozzie.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2007, 12:32 AM
I'd say about a 7. Sox victories make or break my day during the summer. I spent about $500 on World Series stuff and still find myself buying Sox gear every so often. I write game reports here and attend about 30 or so games a year. I plan on attending my first solo road trip this season. There's one thing in this world, however, that I cannot let ANYTHING alter, and that is the relationship between Ry and myself.