PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 4-21

Lip Man 1
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
April 21, 1900 - The White Sox play their first regular season game as part of the American League. They’d drop a 5 - 4 decision to the Milwaukee Brewers managed by Connie Mack. The 1900 season though isn’t ‘officially’ recognized by baseball since in this season, the American League wasn’t considered a part of organized baseball but was designated a minor league.

April 21, 1992 - In the 9th inning of a 4 - 3 loss to the Yankees at Comiskey Park, shortstop Ozzie Guillen tears up his knee in a collision with left fielder Tim Raines. On a pop into short left by Mel Hall, Guillen’s knee slams into the shoulder of Raines who was attempting to make a diving catch. Ozzie had surgery and was lost for the rest of the year but through intensive off season rehab work came back strong in 1993.

By the way, get ready for the news from 4/22, the most incredible day in the history of the franchise!

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/99/77/8c66_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ozzie-Guillen-White-Sox-8x10-Game-Action-Photo-6240_W0QQitemZ320104953276QQihZ011QQcategoryZ37592 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting)

Lip

Phil Bradley
04-20-2007, 01:18 PM
April 21, 1992 - In the 9th inning of a 4 - 3 loss to the Yankees at Comiskey Park, shortstop Ozzie Guillen tears up his knee in a collision with left fielder Tim Raines. On a pop into short left by Mel Hall, Guillen’s knee slams into the shoulder of Raines who was attempting to make a diving catch. Ozzie had surgery and was lost for the rest of the year but through intensive off season rehab work came back strong in 1993.

By the way, get ready for the news from 4/22, the most incredible day in the history of the franchise!

Lip

What was the impact on Guillen's injury on the team that season? I remember Sports Illustrated picked the Sox to win the AL West but I don't think the team ever got into a real groove. I had forgotten that Ozzie blew out his knee.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Phil:

Ozzie was replaced at short by Craig Grebeck who did a nice fill in job but then HE broke his foot and the Sox had no one at shortstop.

Ron Scheuler went out and picked up Dale Sveum for the final few months as a stop gap measure.

Losing Ozzie robbed the Sox of one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball and a guy who was able to run on the base paths.

Lip

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM

More incredible than 10/26?

chisox77
04-20-2007, 05:32 PM
White Sox record from 1992: 86-76, 3rd, AL West, behind the A's (96-66) and the Twins (92-70).

I remember that injury very well, and thought that the Sox would only be better than average without Ozzie. With him, they easily win 90 plus.

A good friend of mine (and an even more intense White Sox fan) nearly punched out his own television when the injury happened. After that, he kept cursing Raines, saying over and over how Ozzie's injury was avoidable, and that Raines did not have to dive the way he did.

:cool:

Lip Man 1
04-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Junkie:

When you read the number of unusual, strange, outright bizarre things that happened....yes.

Lip

Britt Burns
04-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Ugh. I remember the Ozzie/Raines game all too well. I don't know if it would have had any bearing on the final outcome of the season, that one really stung.

Brian26
04-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Ugh. I remember the Ozzie/Raines game all too well. I don't know if it would have had any bearing on the final outcome of the season, that one really stung.

I remember Hawk being really torn up when it happened (not sad, but more disgusted and worried). He said something like, "Oh Lord" as they were carrying Ozzie off the field.

TomBradley72
04-20-2007, 10:09 PM
I remember Hawk being really torn up when it happened (not sad, but more disgusted and worried). He said something like, "Oh Lord" as they were carrying Ozzie off the field.

Right up there in the list of key injuries that killed contending teams (ie. Melton's back in '72, Zisk's knee in '77, Ventura's ankle in '97, Ordonez's knee in 2004)