PDA

View Full Version : Pitching our Strength?

dougs78
03-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Diamond Mind has their 2002 projections

Click here (http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2002/diamondmindprojections.html) to see it.

My favorite quote from the article is:

The pitching, which was surprisingly average in 2001 despite an unbelievable series of serious injuries, appears to be a strength this time around. Todd Ritchie joins an impressive group of youngsters (including Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland) who got a chance to show their stuff because all the other starters were hurt. The bullpen should continue to be an asset.

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Obviously written in January.

dougs78
03-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Obviously written in January.

Actually no, I do believe it was actually last week or , my evidences lies in this quote...

we assumed that Jim Parque would take a regular turn and pitch at his established level, but he's been having trouble with his velocity this spring

So obviously it was written more recently, but I'm not even sure what to make of this quote. What exactly was Jim Parque's "established level"????

Either way, I have no idea what sort of predictive validity these things have, but I also seem to recall being pissed last year when this same simulation predicted us to hover around .500 last year....