PDA

View Full Version : A little help recalling my first game?

Whitesox029
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
It was at Old Comiskey against the Brewers in '89 or '90, there was a huge, huge thunderstorm, and the Sox won the game. I know that isn't much to go on, but does anyone have any recollection of such a game? Even just which year it was or which part of the season. Anything would help.

EastCoastSoxFan
04-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I seem to remember a game in 1990, I believe against Texas, where there was something like an 8-hour rain delay. I guess MLB wanted to get the game in since it was the last scheduled game between the Sox and Rangers that season.
By the time the game was over there were reportedly less than 100 fans still in the park, and I believe that Donn Pall and a few other players actually went out into the stands and greeted some of the fans who were still there...

russ99
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
It was at Old Comiskey against the Brewers in '89 or '90, there was a huge, huge thunderstorm, and the Sox won the game. I know that isn't much to go on, but does anyone have any recollection of such a game? Even just which year it was or which part of the season. Anything would help.

Check out Retrosheet (http://www.retrosheet.org/)- they're collecting box-scores (and play-by-plays) for all big-league games in the past. I think they have all the games of those 2 seasons. Look for the Brewer games with rain delays or long game times.

Hope this helps. :D:

sox1970
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I seem to remember a game in 1990, I believe against Texas, where there was something like an 8-hour rain delay. I guess MLB wanted to get the game in since it was the last scheduled game between the Sox and Rangers that season.
By the time the game was over there were reportedly less than 100 fans still in the park, and I believe that Donn Pall and a few other players actually went out into the stands and greeted some of the fans who were still there...

I was there--for a while, at least. We left around 5 o'clock I think. They called the game around 9 or 10pm.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I recall a game around that time period which had a very long rain delay and the concessions were not working for some reason. Carson's Ribs were brough to the park for all to indulge.

Railsplitter
04-20-2007, 11:53 AM

New park or old? My first game in the new park was in 1991, against the Brewers, and had a rain delay.

Whitesox029
04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
New park or old? My first game in the new park was in 1991, against the Brewers, and had a rain delay.
It was definitely the old park, and I was too young in '88, so it has to have been '89 or '90.

PaleHoser
04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I had weekend season tickets in 1990 and recall a game where the Sox lost to the Brewers in the ninth or extra innings. Bobby Thigpen was on the mound and overthrew first on a bunt play to allow the go-ahead run to score.

Check the Retrosheet site and see if this helps with narrowing it down. Good Luck!

Whitesox029
04-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I had weekend season tickets in 1990 and recall a game where the Sox lost to the Brewers in the ninth or extra innings. Bobby Thigpen was on the mound and overthrew first on a bunt play to allow the go-ahead run to score.

Check the Retrosheet site and see if this helps with narrowing it down. Good Luck!
Thanks for the help and...
:welcome:
I asked my parents and they said it was definitely '89, but we were with a family friend, so I'm going to ask her as well because none of the Sox' home games against Milwaukee in '89 were longer than normal on the retrosheet site.

WisSoxFan
04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure retrosheet will help you at least with the game time. To my knowledge rain delays are not included in the game times. It may help you in terms of starting pitcher or someone homered etc. It's a pretty cool site. I looked up the first major league game I ever went to. I was only eight years old and the only things I remembered were that the leadoff hitter homered and it was Washington at Milwaukee. I found it based on those two bits of info. Pretty cool.

nccwsfan
04-23-2007, 07:20 PM

This game was on Sunday, August 12, 1990- when we left around 8pm there had to be less than 500. I remember Blackjack, Donn Pall, and others signing autographs for what seemed like 1-2 hours, enough TWIB to last a year, and the 100+ that stuck around past 9pm were rewarded with free concessions (hot dogs, sodas, etc).

This was my last time in Old Comiskey, which was nice b/c it gave us several hours to take one last look. Funny how even a rainout can be memorable...