PDA

View Full Version : Another lovable loser...

PeteWard
04-20-2007, 07:04 AM
who deserves to be drowned in all of the urine that leaks from the pipes at that place

From Letters to the Cubune

Open letter to Sox fans

Dear Sox Fans,
Okay, I got it. The White Sox threw a no-hitter. They are the city’s best and most under-recognized team. Woo hoo! Now, I'm going to go back to being a Cubs fan because they are the heart and soul of the city. Their wins and losses influence the collective mood of Chicago. With every up and down the team endures, every rant and rave of the unlucky schmuck who happens to be managing the team this year and every triumphant win and heartbreaking loss . . . Cubs fans are optimists who believe in their team and aren't worried about what happened yesterday (or during the past 100 years).

Cubs fans are down to earth, Midwestern folks who truly believe in the promise of a better tomorrow and that when their team takes the field the next day, that they have just as much a chance to walk out of the friendly confines victorious as the other team. Hot dogs and beer, peanuts and crackerjacks, and people that just know how to have a good time no matter the outcome of a particular day. There's allure to Wrigley Field that defies logic. It's old, lacks parking and doesn't have a fancy jumbotron like other parks. But that might just be part of the charm. Despite any of its shortcomings, the fans still come for the $6 beers, lines at the bathrooms and the hope that just maybe this really is the "next year" that we've been told to wait for. So you can have your recent memory World Series Championship, your No-Hitter and all of your parks accouchements. I'll still take the team I've grown up loving and if I catch one of your teams’ homeruns, you'd better believe I'm going to throw it right back.
Joe Himpelmann
Waukegan

Cuck the Fubs
04-20-2007, 07:09 AM
:rolleyes: Whatever :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 07:43 AM
How would he know about the mood of Chicago? He lives in Waukegan which is closer to Milwaukee than Chicago.

Dan Mega
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
The Bears are the heart and soul of the city. Basically the guy is saying that he loves being a Cubs fan for the ridiculous prices, the stadium they play in, and the "allure of the team".

In other words...
:whocares

Martinigirl
04-20-2007, 07:55 AM
What amuses me about that letter is that it basically encapsulates what I loathe about most Cub fans. This particular type of CF really doesn't care about the outcome of the game. We can have our World Series and no hitters, but THEY are content with an adorable (crappy old) ballpark and their little cubbies. It just validates the belief many people have that many Cub fans are not baseball fans, they just enjoy hanging out in a beer garden.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
"Now, I'm going to go back to being a Cubs fan..."

So he was a White Sox fan for a while? Methinks this is one "fan" that the Sox will not be sorry to lose.

TommyJohn
04-20-2007, 08:04 AM
who deserves to be drowned in all of the urine that leaks from the pipes at that place

Open letter to Sox fans

Dear Sox Fans,
Okay, I got it. The White Sox threw a no-hitter. They are the city’s best and most under-recognized team. Woo hoo! Now, I'm going to go back to being a Cubs fan because they are the heart and soul of the city. Their wins and losses influence the collective mood of Chicago. With every up and down the team endures, every rant and rave of the unlucky schmuck who happens to be managing the team this year and every triumphant win and heartbreaking loss . . . Cubs fans are optimists who believe in their team and aren't worried about what happened yesterday (or during the past 100 years).

Cubs fans are down to earth, Midwestern folks who truly believe in the promise of a better tomorrow and that when their team takes the field the next day, that they have just as much a chance to walk out of the friendly confines victorious as the other team. Hot dogs and beer, peanuts and crackerjacks, and people that just know how to have a good time no matter the outcome of a particular day. There's allure to Wrigley Field that defies logic. It's old, lacks parking and doesn't have a fancy jumbotron like other parks. But that might just be part of the charm. Despite any of its shortcomings, the fans still come for the $6 beers, lines at the bathrooms and the hope that just maybe this really is the "next year" that we've been told to wait for. So you can have your recent memory World Series Championship, your No-Hitter and all of your parks accouchements. I'll still take the team I've grown up loving and if I catch one of your teams’ homeruns, you'd better believe I'm going to throw it right back.
Joe Himpelmann
Waukegan

Is that why there are so many books out there about the 1969 Cubs?

MarkyBear
04-20-2007, 08:18 AM
if I catch one of your teams’ homeruns, you'd better believe I'm going to throw it right back.
Joe Himpelmann
Waukegan

Is he planning on doing this for the three games at the urinal, or is he making some secret trips to the South Side to see what the atmosphere for a real game of baseball is all about?

Either way, I would of liked to of seen him try and dive to catch the one AJ hit there last year!

rocky biddle
04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
What amuses me about that letter is that it basically encapsulates what I loathe about most Cub fans. This particular type of CF really doesn't care about the outcome of the game. We can have our World Series and no hitters, but THEY are content with an adorable (crappy old) ballpark and their little cubbies. It just validates the belief many people have that many Cub fans are not baseball fans, they just enjoy hanging out in a beer garden.

Exactly. This douche nozzle basically took every negative stereotype that people use to mock cub fans and used them as a badge of honor. If a Sox (or Cardinals, Brewers, etc.) fan made this statement in a sarcastic voice, it would be sure to anger cub fans. For instance-

"Oh look at me, I know how to have a good time no matter the outcome of a particular day. There's an allure to Wrigley Field that defies logic. It's old, lacks parking and doesn't have a fancy jumbotron like other parks. But that might just be part of the charm. Despite any of its shortcomings, the fans still come for the $6 beers, lines at the bathrooms and the hope that just maybe this really is the "next year" that we've been told to wait for. So you can have your recent memory World Series Championship, your No-Hitter and all of your parks accouchements. I'll still take the team I've grown up loving and if I catch one of your teams’ homeruns, you'd better believe I'm going to throw it right back."

Come to think of it, maybe it was a Sox fan being a smartass.

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I thought Cub fans didn't care about Sox fans?

LongLiveFisk
04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Wow. Grow up, buddy. :rolleyes:

:violin:

johnr1note
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Open letter to Sox fans

Dear Sox Fans,

Joe Himpelmann
Waukegan

ac·couche·ment (ä'kōōsh-mäɴ')
n. A confinement during childbirth; a lying-in.

I think he meant:

ac·cou·ter·ment /əˈkuhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngtərhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngmənt, -trə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-koo-ter-muhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngnt, -truh-] –noun 1.personal clothing, accessories, etc. 2. The equipment of a soldier.

Typical ignorance of a Cub fan, though, it he meant "accouterment," he is right about one thing -- there's plenty of equipment of soliders (like WEAPONS) at our ballpark!

wdelaney72
04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
"You can't fix stupid."

FedEx227
04-20-2007, 09:49 AM

I think he meant:

ac·cou·ter·ment /əˈkuhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngtərhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngmənt, -trə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-koo-ter-muhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngnt, -truh-] –noun 1.personal clothing, accessories, etc. 2. The equipment of a soldier.

Typical ignorance of a Cub fan, though, it he meant "accouterment," he is right about one thing -- there's plenty of equipment of soliders (like WEAPONS) at our ballpark!

Is falling concrete a weapon?

Zisk77
04-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Open letter to Sox fans

Dear Sox Fans,

Joe Himpelmann
Waukegan

Whats an accouchement? Is that Cubese for ignore everything I'm saying because I'm a-douche?

Also, Open letters suck. Get a life.

tebman
04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Bruizer
04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
The more I read it, the more I think it should have been in teal. :smile:

Bru

Uncle_Patrick
04-20-2007, 09:58 AM
The heart and soul of Chicago are bunch of inept losers? What a terrible thing to say about the city. If the Cubs wins and losses reflected the collective mood of the city, Chicago would be a very sad place.

This typical, self-centered self-assessment is what I despise most about most of Cub fandumb. I think if he said "Cubs fans are a bunch of dopes who have bought in the marketing of 'hope' and the nostalgia of a run down ball park located in a hip part of town" he would have been more honest.

Iwritecode
04-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Cubs fans are optimists who believe in their team and aren't worried about what happened yesterday (or during the past 100 years).

Cubs fans certainly are something but I'm not sure "optimist" is the right word. Maybe "delusional" is better?

Mr.1Dog
04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Cubs fans certainly are something but I'm not sure "optimist" is the right word. Maybe "delusional" is better?

Imbeciles perhaps?

Jerko
04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
a·douche·ment (ä'dōōsh-meäɴt')

ad. What that idiot tried to say.

Used in a sentence:

I don't care what adouchement to say, Wrigley still sucks.

jenn2080
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes: I read the first 4 lines and that was enough for me. What a **** face.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Did someone ask him for his opinion? Why did he take time from his important life to write this open letter?

Methinks his therapist told him to do it to help him come to terms with the rejection and lonliness he has felt his entire life. They say putting your feelings in writing helps you understand them, but you're not supposed to share the writing with anyone.

SOBdmb
04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Joe Himpelmann is an idiot, but he did make a good point saying the Sox are the city's best...way to go Joe!

vegyrex
04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
So you can have your recent memory World Series Championship, your No-Hitter and all of your parks accouchements. No problem, I hope to add an '07 championship to those recent memories.

The flub fans can have memories of Lou flipping out over another cubbie loss.:D:

bryPt
04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Mod edit: bad move. Next time, you get a vacation.

Dick Allen
04-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Another example of someone who doesn't think before they talk. Then again, maybe he isn't capable of a human being's thought pattern.

TDog
04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
It's been almost four years since I've been within a thousand miles of Chicago, but I'm looking at a picture of the Chicago skyline, with Buckingham Fountain in the foreground. The light's inside the buildings have been coordinated to spell out "Sox" and "Sox Win" I have a picture on my computer of the Picasso sculpture topped with a Sox hat, as well as something similar involving the lions in front of the Art Institute. All of these things are the heart and soul of the beautiful city that is Chicago, and I understand none of these pictures were enhanced.

I don't remember reading about the city mourning their beloved Cubs' lost season at the end of October 2005. People weren't lining the streets for a wake. There was great joy. Maybe that was happening in Waukegan.

People in Chicago were excited when Kenny Holtzman pitched a no-hitter in 1969, just before the collapse. I don't remember reading letters from White Sox fans pointing out that it was cheap because he hadn't struck out anyone. Maybe it's time for Cubs fans like this man from Waukegan to get over themselves. If you want to cheer for a loser, go ahead. I'm a longtime Sox fan, and I've cheered for some losers myself.

This Cubs thing is one of the limits of your life and the lives of the crowd you run with. Don't impose it on the city 41 miles south of where you live. (Unless you're talking about Chicago, Wisconsin, which is only 17 miles north of Waukegan.)

JB98
04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
My reaction to this letter:WE. DON'T. CARE.

SBSoxFan
04-20-2007, 01:47 PM
It's been almost four years since I've been within a thousand miles of Chicago, but I'm looking at a picture of the Chicago skyline, with Buckingham Fountain in the foreground. The light's inside the buildings have been coordinated to spell out "Sox" and "Sox Win" I have a picture on my computer of the Picasso sculpture topped with a Sox hat, as well as something similar involving the lions in front of the Art Institute. All of these things are the heart and soul of the beautiful city that is Chicago, and I understand none of these pictures were enhanced.

I don't remember reading about the city mourning their beloved Cubs' lost season at the end of October 2005. People weren't lining the streets for a wake. There was great joy. Maybe that was happening in Waukegan.

People in Chicago were excited when Kenny Holtzman pitched a no-hitter in 1969, just before the collapse. I don't remember reading letters from White Sox fans pointing out that it was cheap because he hadn't struck out anyone. Maybe it's time for Cubs fans like this man from Waukegan to get over themselves. If you want to cheer for a loser, go ahead. I'm a longtime Sox fan, and I've cheered for some losers myself.

This Cubs thing is one of the limits of your life and the lives of the crowd you run with. Don't impose it on the city 41 miles south of where you live. (Unless you're talking about Chicago, Wisconsin, which is only 17 miles north of Waukegan.)

Post of the week. :thumbsup:

C-Dawg
04-20-2007, 02:10 PM
just as much a chance to walk out of the friendly confines victorious as the other team. Hot dogs and beer, peanuts and crackerjacks, and people that just know how to have a good time no matter the outcome of a particular day. There's allure to Wrigley Field that defies logic. It's old, lacks parking and doesn't have a fancy jumbotron like other parks. But that might just be part of the charm.

So its all about the ballpark, isn't it. Winning isn't important when you have Wrigley Field.

:rolleyes:

What a tool.

minutia
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
You should read the responses to this guys open letter. They are priceless, even a Red Sox fan gives it to him.

MUsoxfan
04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
You should read the responses to this guys open letter. They are priceless, even a Red Sox fan gives it to him.

What's the link? I might be blind, but I can't find it

chitownhawkfan
04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
If the mood of the city was determined by the Cubs as this clown states it would really be a miserable place to live.

nlentz88
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Those comments are hilarious! Not one comment in support of the letter's author.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_opinion_letters/2007/04/open_letter_to_.html#comments

cheeses_h_rice
04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Those comments are hilarious! Not one comment in support of the letter's author.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_opinion_letters/2007/04/open_letter_to_.html#comments

Hard to pick a favorite, but I did like this one quite a bit:

"Accouchement" is a term related to child birth. To my knowledge, no facilities for child birth exist at US Cellular.
This letter is an embarrassment even to Cub fans, which is saying a lot based on the last 98 years.
Trying to use the Cubs to define Chicagoans is disgusting. Chicago was built on hard work and accomplishment, not losing and passive acceptance of failure after failure.
Hope the Tribune Company gives you a discount on your subscription for this letter.
Posted by: Don C | Apr 20, 2007 10:24:31 AM

UserNameBlank
04-20-2007, 03:09 PM
The heart and soul of Chicago are bunch of inept losers? What a terrible thing to say about the city. If the Cubs wins and losses reflected the collective mood of the city, Chicago would be a very sad place.

This typical, self-centered self-assessment is what I despise most about most of Cub fandumb. I think if he said "Cubs fans are a bunch of dopes who have bought in the marketing of 'hope' and the nostalgia of a run down ball park located in a hip part of town" he would have been more honest.
LMAO.

This fan is basically in so many words admitting Cub fans are so used to losing that it doesn't bother them. In that case, great, enjoy your losing. Have fun and continue supporting it with you hard earned money.

Meanwhile on the other side of town, White Sox management knows it's fans will not support a dog**** team, so the emphasis is winning.

Maybe it's just me, but ideas like "it's just a game," "we think we have a chance," and "winning isn't everything" have no place even in little league, much less professional baseball.

DumpJerry
04-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Hard to pick a favorite, but I did like this one quite a bit:

"Accouchement" is a term related to child birth. To my knowledge, no facilities for child birth exist at US Cellular.
This letter is an embarrassment even to Cub fans, which is saying a lot based on the last 98 years.
Trying to use the Cubs to define Chicagoans is disgusting. Chicago was built on hard work and accomplishment, not losing and passive acceptance of failure after failure.
Hope the Tribune Company gives you a discount on your subscription for this letter.
Posted by: Don C | Apr 20, 2007 10:24:31 AM

Wow. Coop really took this guy to task!:D:

Vernam
04-20-2007, 03:59 PM

I think he meant:

Typical ignorance of a Cub fan, though, it he meant "accouterment," he is right about one thing -- there's plenty of equipment of soliders (like WEAPONS) at our ballpark!That's a mere bag of shells, my good man.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/honeymooners-bus.jpg

Kind of like the latest Sopranos ep, where Little Carmine called something "a mixture of the sacred and the propane." :rolling:

Vernam

bryPt
04-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I just posted a reply using a restaurant reference. I hope it gets approved and I hope you all enjoy it.

Hitmen77
04-20-2007, 04:52 PM
:rolling:
Wow! This guy perfectly captures how Cub fans are insufferably whiney and yet totally full of themselves all at the same time. Incredible combination! If I were a real Cub fan, I'd be embarassed by this clown's letter. As a Sox fan, I find it very humorous.

By the way, since when did we start calling frat boys and Lincoln Park trixies "down to earth, Midwestern folk"? :?:

The Critic
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
:rolling:
By the way, since when did we start calling frat boys and Lincoln Park trixies "down to earth, Midwestern folk"? :?:

He was probably referring to the busloads of Iowans.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-20-2007, 05:08 PM

I think he meant...
What's hilarious is that you know his spell-check program gave him the a-ok!

Hitmen77
04-20-2007, 05:10 PM
He was probably referring to the busloads of Iowans.

Yep, and conveniently ignoring those who make up a huge chunk of the Cubs crowd.

Jurr
04-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I love it when these bleeding dolts make our points for us. 'Nuff said.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Waukegan, my foot. This guy's an insider trying to drive up the sales price of the team when it goes on the block by masquerading as a fan who personifies the unconditional love for the losers. An investigation into price manipulation is needed.

TomBradley72
04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
This letter almost too perfectly represents Cubdom. Could a White Sox fan have written it?

PeteWard
04-21-2007, 12:47 AM
God, that guy got crushed. Great job Sox fans!!!

RadioheadRocks
04-21-2007, 12:52 AM
I love it when these bleeding dolts make our points for us. 'Nuff said.

Like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it?