PDA

View Full Version : Absolute travesty by ESPN

WLL1855
04-19-2007, 11:51 PM
So I'm watching Baseball Tonight and they have a segment sponsored by ESPN Deportes featuring a viewer poll about the best Latino shortstops in the history of MLB. Of course, Luis Aparicio is one of the players featured. My beef is that they show an old photograph with Aparicio in a ****ing Boston Red Sox hat.

Are you kidding me?

He played only three seasons for Boston in the tail end of his career as opposed to the ten he played with the White Sox. Let's see. Rookie of the year and runner up for MVP when he played for the White Sox. Nothing really notable when he played for Boston. Yeah, that makes sense.

God I hate the East Coast Sports Network.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2007, 11:53 PM
So I'm watching Baseball Tonight and they have a segment sponsored by ESPN Deportes featuring a viewer poll about the best Latino shortstops in the history of MLB. Of course, Luis Aparicio is one of the players featured. My beef is that they show an old photograph with Aparicio in a ****ing Boston Red Sox hat.

Are you kidding me?

He played only three seasons for Boston in the tail end of his career as opposed to the ten he played with the White Sox. Let's see. Rookie of the year and runner up for MVP when he played for the White Sox. Nothing really notable when he played for Boston. Yeah, that makes sense.

He was an All-Star with Boston for two of those three years.

PeteWard
04-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Then had better avoid them this weekend. It's another dose of "epic rivalry" crap.

ewokpelts
04-20-2007, 12:05 AM

Are you kidding me?

God I hate the East Coast Sports Network.that might have been the best footage they were able to get.

WLL1855
04-20-2007, 12:05 AM
He was an All-Star with Boston for two of those three years.

OK, granted. He was an All-Star with the White Sox for six seasons too. Ask ten people who know a little something about baseball history who Lou Aparicio played for and I'll bet you the team nine out of ten say is the Chicago White Sox.

It is still ridiculous ESPN puts him in a Red Sox hat for a promo picture.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 07:00 AM
OK, granted. He was an All-Star with the White Sox for six seasons too. Ask ten people who know a little something about baseball history who Lou Aparicio played for and I'll bet you the team nine out of ten say is the Chicago White Sox.

It is still ridiculous ESPN puts him in a Red Sox hat for a promo picture.

No doubt. I was just pointing out that it wasn't like he was just going through the motions in Boston. Remember, he also played in Baltimore for four seasons and was a two-time All Star there as well.

I could care less what pictures ESPN wants to use.

johnnyg83
04-20-2007, 09:04 AM
FWIW, Gammons did call the Sox an "elite" team later in the show, praising our starting pitching and deep bullpen.

DarkHorse35
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I gave up on ESPN a long time ago.

jortafan
04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I'd think the Red Sox pictures were likely used because that was all that was available to ESPN. After all, he finished his career in Boston after having been an All-Star shortstop with the White Sox and Baltimore Orioles.

The thing to keep in mind is that ESPN needs the pictures in order to be able to do anything. Words or ideas without pictures are worthless to television. I'm sure ESPN wishes they could ignore all sports events that took place before they came into existence. The fact that the glory days of the White Sox came way before any kind of television existed makes them virtually irrelevant to the ESPN fan base.

My point in bringing all of this up is to say that it is not worth the time or effort to get upset with ESPN programming. No one should expect it to be worth anything to begin with. It just fills up the airtime in between commercials, nothing more.

TDog
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Looie Aparicio was twice an all-star when he played for the Orioles. He was the shortsop on the World Series champion 1966 Orioles team. Showing Aparicio in an Orioles hat would have been acceptable, although he and Nellie Fox defined the Go-Go White Sox.

As mentioned, he finished his career with the Red Sox. It isn't like they mentioned Ozzie Guillen and showed him in an Atlanta or Florida hat.

I can understand how seeing Aparicio in a Red Sox hat might cause some distress. Harry Caray observed in the 1970s that had Aparicio not been dealt for Mike Andrews and Luis Alvarado, the Sox might have finished ahead of the A's in 1972. Andrews could hit, but didn't help defensively. A good shortstop -- obviously not Alvarado -- was something the team lacked.

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2007, 12:17 PM
It's ESPN for Christ's sakes. What do you expect??????????

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 12:19 PM
The fact that the glory days of the White Sox came way before any kind of television existed makes them virtually irrelevant to the ESPN fan base.

ESPN fan base? What the heck is that? Dudes wearing ESPN shirts?

Lip Man 1
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
TDog:

I don't know if Harry made that statement but I do know that Rich Lindberg says it in his book 'Who's On Third?' which came out in 1983.

Lip

Vestigio
04-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Last week, I think it was, they had asked for the best latin 2nd basemen. It was Robbie Alomar and two other guys I dont remember. Anyways they showed the three players. Like Aparicio, Alomar was wearing a hat of a team that he did not have his best years with, which was the D-rays.

TDog
04-20-2007, 01:10 PM
TDog:

I don't know if Harry made that statement but I do know that Rich Lindberg says it in his book 'Who's On Third?' which came out in 1983.

Lip

I saw that book in a bookstore in hardcover when I was visiting Chicago in 1984 and regretted not buying it. I just remember this analysis was one of the insightful things Harry Caray said in those Sox years.

cws05champ
04-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I feel that ESPN is like that old Saturday Night live skit with subliminal man:

Tonight on ESPN we are going to dig (Boston) into the NL West games and(Boston) what Albert (boston) Pujols did last night. We'll examen how the Marlins have(boston/Yankees-tonight 8pm) held their ground against the NL beasts and(dice-K) how Bob Wickaman has(boston) solidified the Atlanta Bullpen.

RadioheadRocks
04-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Are you kidding me?

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

and that says it all right there.

Vernam
04-20-2007, 09:40 PM
FWIW, Gammons did call the Sox an "elite" team later in the show, praising our starting pitching and deep bullpen.The real outrage is that only one of our guys (Erstad) was picked for the ESPN "All Sub-.200 Team." C'mon, talk about East Coast bias!! What about Konerko, Mackowiak, and Anderson?! :angry:

Hell, Cintron is sub-.100! :redneck

Vernam

oeo
04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
The real outrage is that only one of our guys (Erstad) was picked for the ESPN "All Sub-.200 Team." C'mon, talk about East Coast bias!! What about Konerko, Mackowiak, and Anderson?! :angry:

Hell, Cintron is sub-.100! :redneck

Vernam

It was the best lineup with an average under .200, and I believe it was Pujols at 1B. Mackowiak and Anderson are both bench players, how do they qualify?

Vernam
04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
It was the best lineup with an average under .200, and I believe it was Pujols at 1B. Mackowiak and Anderson are both bench players, how do they qualify?Do you really think I'm upset because our guys didn't make the All Sub-.200 team? :rolleyes:

Vernam

Bobapples1993
04-20-2007, 11:52 PM
It's not a big deal. ESPN sucks, get used to it! :(:

FarWestChicago
04-21-2007, 07:03 AM
There is a redundancy in the title of this thread.

ode to veeck
04-21-2007, 07:36 AM
There is a redundancy in the title of this thread.

Only if one half of the redundency includes the word "absolute" with "travesty" LOL

guillen4life13
04-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Last week, I think it was, they had asked for the best latin 2nd basemen. It was Robbie Alomar and two other guys I dont remember. Anyways they showed the three players. Like Aparicio, Alomar was wearing a hat of a team that he did not have his best years with, which was the D-rays.

They had him in a Blue Jays hat. He did win a couple World Series with the Jays, played 5 years there (most he played for any team) and only had a BA under .300 once with the Jays. I'd say it's quite reasonable for him to be represented wearing a Jays hat. He never played for the Devil Rays.