PDA

View Full Version : Billy Pierce

misty60481
04-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Watching MB last nite reminded me of a game Billy Pierce pitched in late 50s,, he had perfect game with 2 outs in 9th and I think Ed Fitzgerald hit a bloop double down right field line..Does anyone remember that game... Also I heard that was MB 98th win as a Sox,, where does he stand among all time winners,, also where does he stand among left-handers Sox winners... Im looking to see his face on outfield wall some day...

Steelrod
04-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I do.
Was listening at camp up in the North Woods.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Misty:

Read Billy's interview with WSI. I specifically asked him about this.

Lip

PaulDrake
04-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Watching MB last nite reminded me of a game Billy Pierce pitched in late 50s,, he had perfect game with 2 outs in 9th and I think Ed Fitzgerald hit a bloop double down right field line..Does anyone remember that game... Also I heard that was MB 98th win as a Sox,, where does he stand among all time winners,, also where does he stand among left-handers Sox winners... Im looking to see his face on outfield wall some day... This isn't exactly what you asked for, but perhaps you'll find it interesting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/leaders_pitch.shtml

comet2k
04-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Gawd, are you guys old! :smile:

I listened that game on WCFL because I believe it was a Friday night game, and WGN only televised home day games at the time.

Pierce was my favorite pitcher and Nellie Fox my favorite position player, and in 1959 I got both their autographs at Evergreen Park Plaza, where they made an evening apperance.

Paulwny
04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I also listened to this game. I remember reading in an article that the sox catcher, probably Lollar, had gone to the mound and told Pierce to throw a brush back pitch at the pinch hitter, Pierce refused. Who knows what the outcome may have been if he threw the pitch?

misty60481
04-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the chart--MB only needs 9 more wins to be in top 10 of all time Sox pitchers,,quite an accomplishment for only 27 yrs.. old.. I am 70 yrs.. old and saw my 1st Sox game in 1945,, Thornton Lee pitched against Yanks and Red Ruffing,, they were both old,, but because lots of younger players were still in service there were lots of old timers still playing.. I also saw Ted Lyons pitch in 46''..I remember watching Horlens no-hitter on TV,, I think it was on a Sun.. afternoon..Keegans was a nite game,, I think...

Phil Bradley
04-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the chart--MB only needs 9 more wins to be in top 10 of all time Sox pitchers,,quite an accomplishment for only 27 yrs.. old.. I am 70 yrs.. old and saw my 1st Sox game in 1945,, Thornton Lee pitched against Yanks and Red Ruffing,, they were both old,, but because lots of younger players were still in service there were lots of old timers still playing.. I also saw Ted Lyons pitch in 46''..I remember watching Horlens no-hitter on TV,, I think it was on a Sun.. afternoon..Keegans was a nite game,, I think...

You are right about Horlen's being on a Sunday. I know this because my dad was at the game the night before and the Tigers came back in the 9th to beat the Sox. He and his brother were sitting in front of 2 fans who started rooting for Detroit once they went ahead and that really didn't fly with my uncle. To vent, he punched the guy behind him in the nose. Immediately my dad and him took off running down the 3rd base line. My dad wanted to watch the rest of the game so he sat down in left field but then saw the Andy Fran usher coming after them so they took off and left through the center field entrance. Every time my dad tells that story he ends it with "and the next day Joel Horlen threw a perfect game."

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Phil:

Read Joe's interview with WSI, he talks about that day and what happens afterwards a lot.

In fact I spoke with Joe this afternoon. He said a reporter from the Sun Times called him this morning. Apparently they are doing some sort of a story. Something to look for.

Joe's doing well by the way, went to Europe this past November, is playing a lot of golf.

Lip

BV2005
04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Im looking to see his face on outfield wall some day...

I think its a pretty safe bet that he will be on the wall someday.