PDA

View Full Version : Pierce is next statue!

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 02:52 PM
From the White Sox web site:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070419&content_id=1918788&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

WELL DONE!

Lip

twsoxfan5
04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
While I like honoring players of the past I hope this is the last statue for a while. If we continue to put them in then I hope they spread them around the field rather than just using the concourse. Pretty soon they are going to have a statue of the crypt keeper cotton candy guy on the stairs in section 159.

Dan Mega
04-19-2007, 02:58 PM
This is great! Congrats Mr. Pierce, you very much deserved this! :bandance:

stacksedwards
04-19-2007, 03:10 PM
While I like honoring players of the past I hope this is the last statue for a while. If we continue to put them in then I hope they spread them around the field rather than just using the concourse. Pretty soon they are going to have a statue of the crypt keeper cotton candy guy on the stairs in section 159.
The love child of Mr. Burns and a vampire. OOO he is scary

Hitmen77
04-19-2007, 03:48 PM

I still would like to see a statue of Luke Appling before they are done.

Congratulations to Billy Pierce. I'm looking forward to seeing the statue in July!

twsoxfan5
04-19-2007, 03:50 PM
The love child of Mr. Burns and a vampire. OOO he is scary

That's him. I am always suprised (but pleased) when he makes it through another off-season.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Hitmen:

I think eventually Luke will get his due. I think part of the motivation for Billy at this particular time is because he is still here to enjoy this. I called and left him congratulations (he was out) for this honor.

Frank Thomas after he gets in the Hall of Fame will get one and I think eventually players like Harold Baines, Wilbur Wood and manager Al Lopez will be honored as well.

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
04-19-2007, 03:52 PM

He deserves it for all his hard work.

Seriously, though, congrats to Billy! I agree, Luke Appling definitely deserves one. Who else? Frank Thomas, of course...

WhiteSox5187
04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Hitmen:

I think eventually Luke will get his due. I think part of the motivation for Billy at this particular time is because he is still here to enjoy this. I called and left him congratulations (he was out) for this honor.

Frank Thomas after he gets in the Hall of Fame will get one and I think eventually players like Harold Baines, Wilbur Wood and manager Al Lopez will be honored as well.

Lip
I also think Ozzie is probably going to get one...Billy Pierce is probably the most underrated pitcher from the 1950s. He was just as good (if not better) than Whitey Ford.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
It would be surprising to see who else will be added. Definitly Frank Thomas after his HOF induction. I wouldn't mind seeing Baines either.

TomBradley72
04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Hitmen:

Lip

I hope Ted Lyons gets his due after Appling...

Paulwny
04-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Congrats to Billy, well deserved.

ewokpelts
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I still would like to see a statue of Luke Appling before they are done.

Congratulations to Billy Pierce. I'm looking forward to seeing the statue in July!Fisk said in his statue speech that the Sox are doing all the retired number players as statues eventually.

oeo
04-19-2007, 05:23 PM

You act like they're putting one up every month. It's not even close to being the situation you're envisioning.

jenn2080
04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I really like the way Cleveland has their monument area. It is Left Center and it is two floors basically with the bricks that the fans can buy and the monuments to the players. It is a pretty neat.

PopsBrechtel
04-19-2007, 05:57 PM
they are going to have a statue of the crypt keeper cotton candy guy on the stairs in section 159.

:D: We sit in section 160 & every game I see him I say to my son "Dead man walkin"

Navarro's Talent
04-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Congrats to Billy! I met him once many years ago at a Sox Fest, and he was a really nice guy.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
OEO:

Actually according to one of my friends in the 'upper' front office this afternoon, the plan is to "surround the ballpark" (his words) with statues.

Lip

oeo
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
OEO:

Actually according to one of my friends in the 'upper' front office this afternoon, the plan is to "surround the ballpark" (his words) with statues.

Lip

If that's the plan, fine (I don't even mind it; the more the better, I think), but he's acting like there's one going up every month. They're unveiling them at totally different times...and I believe that was his gripe, that they're going up too quickly.

I'm sure it will take quite a few years before the whole park is surrounded at the current pace.

Thome25
04-19-2007, 06:42 PM

You have to be in the minority when it comes to complaining about honoring White Sox greats.

The statues "dress the park up" while honoring past greats and making sure young fans never forget White Sox tradition.

I hope they keep it up!!

misty60481
04-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I also think Billy belongs in Hall of Fame,, even Ted Williams said it was a shame he never got in---

jortafan
04-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I also think Ozzie is probably going to get one.

At the very least, Ozzie should be among the people who someday get their number retired by the White Sox. He was a star shortstop, in addition to a pennant-winning manager.

Just one question. What kind of pose would a statue be for Ozzie? Would it show him playing shortstop, crouched over to field a ground ball? Or would it try to show him as a manager?

If the latter is the case, then I propose that his statue show him giving the sign for the tall, fat boy to come in from the bullpen to pitch. That is still one of my favorite moments from the '05 World Series.

oeo
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Just one question. What kind of pose would a statue be for Ozzie? Would it show him playing shortstop, crouched over to field a ground ball? Or would it try to show him as a manager?

Anyone have a picture of him calling Mariotti a you know what? We can make it so his lips are moving.

TornLabrum
04-19-2007, 10:29 PM
As a board member of the Windy City Sox Fans, it has been my privilege and pleasure to meet Billy and Gloria Pierce on numerous occasions, enough so that they recognize me on sight. They are a couple of the nicest people I know.

As for his qualifications for the HOF, I'll just relate something I've said to others, and finally said to him at one of our luncheons last summer, "If you were wearing those other pinstripes, you would have been in the Hall of Fame years ago."

monkeypants
04-20-2007, 12:13 AM

Getting tagged out on the old hidden ball trick.

BV2005
04-20-2007, 12:54 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Pierce 2 years ago and his is a very nice person. I am glad to see him get a statue. But do all the statues have to be on the concorse area. How about a statue outside the park, or on the fan deck. another cool idea is to put a statue of some one in the batters box of where they have the home plate of the old comiskey park.

ewokpelts
04-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Getting tagged out on the old hidden ball trick.TWICE!

SaltyPretzel
04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
another cool idea is to put a statue of some one in the batters box of where they have the home plate of the old comiskey park.

Have a Bill Veeck statue sitting in the bleachers.

caracascat
04-20-2007, 09:09 AM
I hope they don't put one of Lopez. He lost the series for us by not pitching Billy Pierce and throwing a wore out Early Wynn two times on short rest.

I think the next statutes will be Ozzie, Harold and Thomas

chisox77
04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Good move to include Billy Pierce. This is getting to be quite the tradition for the White Sox.

:D:

twsoxfan5
04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
If that's the plan, fine (I don't even mind it; the more the better, I think), but he's acting like there's one going up every month. They're unveiling them at totally different times...and I believe that was his gripe, that they're going up too quickly.

I'm sure it will take quite a few years before the whole park is surrounded at the current pace.

The gripe was more tounge and check. It is not something I really mind and there are definatley people who deserve it but I feel like if they put up too many then it will start to lose it's affect.

eriqjaffe
04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
How about one of Dick Allen? I have the perfect pose for it:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4877/allyn5jz3.jpg

FielderJones
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I hope Ted Lyons gets his due after Appling...

I hope Ed Walsh (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/W/Pwalse101.htm) gets his due. I understand that they wanted Billy to get his statue while he's still alive, but Ed is actually in the Hall of Fame (and deservedly so).

Wsoxmike59
07-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Congrats Billy, he is a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. The mainstay of the Go-Go Sox rotation in the 1950's. I couldn't think of a more deserving player to get this honor.

I too was lucky enough to have met Billy and his wonderful wife, they make a great couple. He and Nellie Fox (his roommate) were my Dad's favorite players during the Go-Go Sox era.

A nice article about Billy ran in today's Daily Southtown. Enjoy. (I will definitely be there on Mon to see this)

http://media1.dailysouthtown.com/multimedia/cell.jpg_20070722_01_58_40_202-0-0.imageContent
Former White Sox pitcher Billy Pierce is being honored with a statue at U.S. Cellular Field. (David Banks/Sun-Times)

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/478000,221NWS1.article

Sox honor legendary lefty Billy Pierce with statue at the Cell

July 22, 2007
By Emily Udell Staff writer

It takes a lot of guts for a seven-time All-Star pitcher with a World Series win and a pennant victory under his belt to admit he's nervous about throwing the first pitch.

Legendary White Sox player Billy Pierce hasn't thrown a baseball much lately aside from tossing one around with his grandkids in the yard of his Lemont home. But when his former team unveils a life-sized bronze statue of him at U.S. Cellular Field on Monday, he'll cast his anxieties aside and open up the game between the Sox and the Detroit Tigers.

The Racehorse
07-22-2007, 10:57 AM
"The Hall of Fame would be a great thing, but the world will not come to an end if I don't get into it," he said. "I had my number retired and have now the statue. I have three wonderful children, five wonderful grandchildren, a wonderful wife -- what more can you ask for?"

I don't think that it would be an exaggeration to say that that is a great statement, from a great pitcher, from a great man. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Billy by all means should be in the HOF. I still remember those great match-ups against Whitey Ford usually on a Friday night before 45,000 at the old Baseball Palace.

TornLabrum
07-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm proud to know that Bill Pierce at least knows me on sight because of my involvement with the Windy City Sox Fans. He is a true gentleman and just plain good man. He has been the driving force behind Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities from the beginning.

I'm glad to hear he's the next honoree to have a statue unveiled at the ballpark.

As for his HOF credentials, I told him at a WCSF luncheon last summer that if he had worn those other pinstripes with an NY on the front, he would have been in the HOF decades ago.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-22-2007, 11:49 AM
That is great to hear. I became a Sox fan when Pierce was pitching and one of the highlights of those days was coming out to see a Pierce-Ford matchup. A very classy guy.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-22-2007, 11:58 AM
YES! I love Bill Pierce. My dad talked to him at sox fest one time and he was ****in awesome. Good job Billy!

michned
07-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Billy by all means should be in the HOF. I still remember those great match-ups against Whitey Ford usually on a Friday night before 45,000 at the old Baseball Palace.

And as most people here know, Billy's career stats are very comparable to Whitey Ford's. But Billy didn't have an "NY" on his cap.

Thome25
07-22-2007, 01:47 PM
And as most people here know, Billy's career stats are very comparable to Whitey Ford's. But Billy didn't have an "NY" on his cap.

That's a shame....how much of a "popularity contest" cooperstown really is.

can someone please post pics of the statue for us out of towners?

TheOldRoman
07-22-2007, 02:00 PM
There was a mistake in the article
"The three fellas that chased down all my mistakes -- the three outfielders -- will be there. Jim Rivera, Jim Landis and Minnie Minoso," said Pierce, all teammates on that pennant-winning Sox team.Minoso was on the Indians that year.

I agree that Pierce would have been in the hall years ago had he played for the Yankees. He doesn't deserve it aways. Phil Rizzuto? Now there's a ballplayer. We need to put Don Mattingly in the hall before Pierce. Pierce should get in line behind Paul O'Neill, Scott Brosious, and Luis Sojo. Oh, and lets put Pesky in, too.

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
That NY on his hat also put Ford in about 10 World Series or so. The White Sox of the 50s and 60s were in the wrong place at the wrong time except for 1959.

Wsoxmike59
07-22-2007, 04:26 PM
My father, when he was alive, used to say if Pierce had been with NY he'd be in the HOF for a couple of reasons.

Pitching on that Yankee club, he prob would've put up even better numbers because of how strong that Yankee team was. The other was because of all the NY writers and how many newspapers that town had at the time.

He often told me Billy would "pitch his heart out" and too often be on the losing side of a 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 game. He said the Sox offense (or lack thereof) cost him many ballgames that his contemporaries in NY (Ford - Lopat - Tommy Byrne) would win.

My father said his only two regrets watching the Go Go Sox all those many years chasing the hated Yankees, was that in 1959 Billy didn't get to start a game in the World Series (a stupid decision by Al Lopez he said) and that Minnie Minoso was in Cle in '59 and missed out on the World Series too.

My dad loved the Go-Go Sox, and I wish he was alive today, because I would surely be going to the game with him tomorrow night to see the unveiling of the Billy Pierce statue.

Congrats once again to Billy Pierce. A gentleman and a HOF'er in my book.

tacosalbarojas
07-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Strange that they are not doing this on a Sunday as with the other statues.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Roland, Bill Melton and some other Sox former players, front office types will also be there. Spoke with Bill a short time ago. He's very excited, his family is all in town, including a son from Hawaii and all are looking forward to tomorrow night.

Lip

soxinem1
07-22-2007, 09:10 PM
When they dedicate the statue, we can sign him as a lefty for the pen to finish out the year!

RadioheadRocks
07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I hope they don't put one of Lopez. He lost the series for us by not pitching Billy Pierce and throwing a wore out Early Wynn two times on short rest.

I think the next statutes will be Ozzie, Harold and Thomas

Many folks believe it was Lopez who held Nellie Fox back from entering the Hall of Fame before he was finally enshrined (once Lopez was no longer on the Veterans' Committee).

Anyway, glad to see one for Billy... met him a few times at baseball card shows over the years and he's truly a class act. Will be in town for the game on Wednesday and I can't wait to see the statue!

Lip Man 1
07-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Actually I kidded Billy about that this evening!

I don't know who the next statue will be...a lot of choices..Lyons, Appling, Lopez, Allen, Wood, Wilhelm and so forth and of course Frank when he retires.

Lip

Frontman
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Excellent choice for the White Sox to honor. Not just as a baseball player, but as a true humanitarian.

Good Job White Sox, and congrats Billy Pierce!!

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Luis and Nellie, now Billy. This is good.

TommyJohn
07-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Actually I kidded Billy about that this evening!

I don't know who the next statue will be...a lot of choices..Lyons, Appling, Lopez, Allen, Wood, Wilhelm and so forth and of course Frank when he retires.

Lip

The first three are good choices, but I would draw the line at guys like
Wood, Allen and Wilhelm.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Why?

Wood was a four time twenty game winner as well as a record setting relief pitcher.

Allen 'saved' the franchise, and that comes from both Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond.

Wilhelm is a Hall of Famer who spent six years on the South Side putting up spectacular pitching numbers...he represents what White Sox baseball in the 1960's was all about...pitching, pitching and still more pitching.

I think that era has to be represented in some fashion. Wilhelm being in the Hall makes him the choice over other greats like Peters, your namesake and so forth. Those 1960's clubs had the best stretch of winning in my lifetime (63 through 65) and nearly copped two pennants.

Lip

Lip

esbrechtel
07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Has anyone posted pics? I wont be at the park until sat and I wanted to see what the statue looks like....

Oblong
07-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Hitmen:

I think eventually Luke will get his due. I think part of the motivation for Billy at this particular time is because he is still here to enjoy this.
Lip

As long as you don't listen to me! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1503389&postcount=1)

Who currently has statues at the stadium? I didn't make it down to see them when I visited.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Who currently has statues at the stadium? I didn't make it down to see them when I visited.

Fisk
Charles Comiskey
Minnie Monoso

Andy the Clown
Dan Pasqua (holding a UPS box)
Aaron Rowand (in his Phillies uniform)
Carl Everett (dressed like Fred Flinstone)
Joe Borchard(on his way to the airport after being DFA)

Lip Man 1
07-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Fisk, Comiskey, Minoso, Fox and Aparicio. Now Bill Pierce...that's six total that I know of.

Lip

MarySwiss
07-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Fisk, Comiskey, Minoso, Fox and Aparicio. Now Bill Pierce...that's six total that I know of.

Lip

So Lip. How emotional was it? Run it down please for those of us who adore Billy Pierce but were unable to witness it?

Lip Man 1
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-07/31382599.jpg

Mary...just for you!

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Great pic - I saw them interviewing Billy before the game - guy is as gracious as can be. I met him once at a Sox game, and was so easy to talk to an approachable; my wife was floored that it was the same guy whose number is on the outfield wall.

eriqjaffe
07-24-2007, 09:40 AM
The statue of Billy Pierce is the fourth most effective pitcher the Sox have.

soxrme
07-24-2007, 10:51 AM
My father, when he was alive, used to say if Pierce had been with NY he'd be in the HOF for a couple of reasons.

Pitching on that Yankee club, he prob would've put up even better numbers because of how strong that Yankee team was. The other was because of all the NY writers and how many newspapers that town had at the time.

He often told me Billy would "pitch his heart out" and too often be on the losing side of a 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 game. He said the Sox offense (or lack thereof) cost him many ballgames that his contemporaries in NY (Ford - Lopat - Tommy Byrne) would win.

My father said his only two regrets watching the Go Go Sox all those many years chasing the hated Yankees, was that in 1959 Billy didn't get to start a game in the World Series (a stupid decision by Al Lopez he said) and that Minnie Minoso was in Cle in '59 and missed out on the World Series too.

My dad loved the Go-Go Sox, and I wish he was alive today, because I would surely be going to the game with him tomorrow night to see the unveiling of the Billy Pierce statue.

Congrats once again to Billy Pierce. A gentleman and a HOF'er in my book.
Everything your dad says was true. I will never forgive the Senor for not pitching Billy in the 6th game and giving Wynn one more days rest. Billy also came so close to a perfect game against the Washington Senators, ruined by Ed Fitzgerald the 27th batter. My dad and I were listening to that game cheering on every pitch, broke a lot of hearts because everyone respected and liked Billy so much

October26
07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Great pic - I saw them interviewing Billy before the game - guy is as gracious as can be. I met him once at a Sox game, and was so easy to talk to an approachable; my wife was floored that it was the same guy whose number is on the outfield wall.

:thumbsup: I also loved the picture of Billy with the statue. And you are right on target with your comments. I stood in line with my dad a few years back to get an autographed picture of Billy. He was so great to talk to, so laid back and unassuming. We enjoyed meeting and speaking with him and my father has told me what a great pitcher he was for the Sox (since he pitched before I was born). I'm glad the Sox took the time to honor him with the statue. We have something to celebrate in this otherwise miserable season. Congratulations to Billy!

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
The statue of Billy Pierce is the fourth most effective pitcher the Sox have.

WOW....this is POTW material right here...not sure if that's good or bad though!

eriqjaffe
07-24-2007, 11:32 AM
WOW....this is POTW material right here...not sure if that's good or bad though!The fact that the statue of Minnie Minoso would actually be our best outfielder is even sadder.

slavko
07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Think that the Tigers being his hometown and first ML team had anything to do with the scheduling of the unveiling? He was on the roster of the '45 WS team but didn't play.

oldroman66
07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Since I've lived in 2 places in Texas my entire life (nearly 59 years), I don't get to Cellular or didn't get to old Comiskey too often.....but one of the most cherished memories was meeting Billy Pierce and his wife in the Palmer House after the Sox hosted a dinner honoring him back when they retired #19. I was out in the lobby talking to Minnie Minoso and Pedro Borbon who were chatting, and they pointed out Pierce and his wife as they left.

He graciously shook my hand and autographed a ball for us. I told him that we had come from Austin just for the ceremony as he and Nellie were my favorite ballplayers as a kid, and the reason I became a Chisox fan all those years ago. He was such a nice guy and I was really glad I had come all that way for the weekend.....

This statue is well deserved.....congrats to the Pierce family and thanks to the Sox organization for honoring this great, loyal member of the Sox family!!!

Oblong
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I think statues are a great way to carry on the tradition of the game. Kids love them. My son knows the statues at Comerica, Cobb/Kaline/Gehringer/Greenberg/Newhouser/Horton/Harwell and he knows the players. Before whenever he'd see an old clip of a Tiger he'd ask "Is that one of the statue guys?" Now that he's able to read he can learn about them.

It's better than having a team HOF. Seeing them immortalized in position is special. More life like than a plaque.

TheCommander
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
The fact that the statue of Minnie Minoso would actually be our best outfielder is even sadder.

Don't forget that Fisk was a stellar outfielder too! :redneck

miker
07-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Fisk said in his statue speech that the Sox are doing all the retired number players as statues eventually.
They're going to run out of room in center at this rate...

Congrats Billy! BTW, do you think you have a few innings left in you? We have this bullpen, you see...

Lip Man 1
07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Miker:

One of the folks in the organization told me that the plan is to eventually have have the stadium "surrounded" with statues.

If that's the case, there's plenty of room.

Lip