PDA

View Full Version : White Sox No-Hitters

Baby Fisk
04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Chicago White Sox pitchers have tossed 17 no-hitters since 1901.

1. 1902 - James Callahan, Detroit at Chicago
2. 1905 - Frank Smith, Chicago at Detroit
3. 1908 - Frank Smith, Philadelphia at Chicago
4. 1911 - Ed Walsh, Boston at Chicago
5. 1914 - Jim Scott, Chicago at Washington*
6. 1914 - Joe Benz, Cleveland at Chicago
7. 1917 - Ed Cicotte, Chicago at St. Louis
8. 1922 - Charlie Robertson, Chicago at Detroit
9. 1926 - Ted Lyons, Chicago at Boston
10. 1935 - Vern Kennedy, Cleveland at Chicago
11. 1937 - Bill Dietrich, St. Louis at Chicago
12. 1957 - Bob Keegan, Washington at Chicago
13. 1967 - Joel Horlen, Deroit at Chicago
14. 1976 - Blue Moon Odom & Francisco Barrios, Chicago at Oakland**
15. 1986 - Joe Cowley, Chicago at California
16. 1991 - Wilson Alvarez, Chicago at Baltimore
17. 2007 - Mark Buehrle, Texas at Chicago

* Scott pitched a no-hitter through 9 innings, but lost the game with two hits in the 10th.
** Odom pitched 5 innings, Barrios pitched 4.

skobabe8
04-19-2007, 08:24 AM
16 no-hitters for the White Sox is tied for 2nd all time (forget who we are tied with). The Dodgers are first all time with 20.

I never knew that until last night.

The Racehorse
04-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Pretty impressive that our Sox has the 2nd most no-hitters in MLB history [behind the Dodgers 20 no-no's] as reported on ESPN this morning, but everyone is forgetting Charlie Robertson's perfect game back on April 30, 1922... by my count, the Sox number is 17. :cool:

A perfect game is still a no-hitter, but a no-hitter isn't always a perfect game. :smile:

Baby Fisk
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Pretty impressive that our Sox has the 2nd most no-hitters in MLB history [behind the Dodgers 20 no-no's] as reported on ESPN this morning, but everyone is forgetting Charlie Robertson's perfect game back on April 30, 1922... by my count, the Sox number is 17. :cool:

A perfect game is still a no-hitter, but a no-hitter isn't always a perfect game. :smile:

Fixed it. I guess Scott's ho-hitter is disputed.

The Racehorse
04-19-2007, 08:52 AM

When I changed my handle from Nick@Nite to The Racehorse, I decided to never let Old Charlie's accomplishment be forgetten. :D:

I have to admit, if someone asked me how many no-hitters the Sox have had since the beginning of the franchise, I would have guessed less than ten.

Good stuff this morning! :gulp:

NEPA SoxFan24
04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Jim Scott's game got tossed when they re-defined no-hitters in 1991. You have to fiinsh the full game with no hits, not just the first 9 innings.
That re-definition also dumped one of our most pleasant memories around here, the Andy Hawkins Game:D: . Note that Melido Perez's 5-inning no-hitter in 1990 in not on the list, either.
I'm working on a website on no-hitters, an I realize more and more that Joe Cowley's no-hitter was really, REALLY ugly:o: . Precious few no-hitters even comapre to its messiness, especially in comaprison to Mark's gem last night.

I'm trying to build a comprehensive list of near missed, ans poor Joel Horlen keeps popping up :(: .

twsoxfan5
04-19-2007, 08:59 AM
16 no-hitters for the White Sox is tied for 2nd all time (forget who we are tied with). The Dodgers are first all time with 20.

I never knew that until last night.

We are tied for 2nd with the Red Sox and thanks for putting the list together Baby Fisk.

soxinem1
04-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I remember Joe Cowley's 'gem'. That was one ugly game. I remember Fregosi was ready to hook him on a few occasions during that one.

Alvarez no-no was good for the first 7-8 innings, but he was gassed at the end. He battled some wildness, walked the bases loaded, and would have forced in a run if Randy Milligan does not swing at ball four.

I was at Andy Hawkins game against the Sox. Wierd day, wierd game. Too bad MLB decided it was just another game.

jabrch
04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I have never seen a Sox pitcher throw a no-hitter in person. (and unfortunately I wasn't out there last night either).

However, yesterday reminded me of the GEM from July 1, 1990 where Blowers, Leyritz and Barfield screwed Hawkins out of the win in his No-No against our Sox. I was at that one.

johnny_mostil
04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Apparently, no-hitters are of no value. The guy who puts out a popular daily email statistical summary of what happened each day just said that "Mark Buehrle pitched a shutout" in his post. A friend of mine sent him an email asking why that's all he wrote, and the reply to that was:

A comparison of the relevance of no-hitters to bestiality among baseball players, and
Dismissal from his daily email listCharming story...

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
That game kind of reminded me of Buehrle's gem against the Indians at the Jake in 2004. I thought that was a no-hitter as well, and even mentioned that to soxstarter at the game last night. I thought that Omar Vizquel walked and then was forced out with a DP, still allowing him to face the minimum 27 batters. Someone help me out here. Why wasn't that game a no-hitter?

Baby Fisk
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Jim Scott's game got tossed when they re-defined no-hitters in 1991. You have to fiinsh the full game with no hits, not just the first 9 innings.

Thanks for the clarification. We'll keep it 17 on this thread. :cool:

whitem0nkey
04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
i wonder how many games had a no hitters with a grand slam in all of baseball?

itsnotrequired
04-19-2007, 10:55 AM
That game kind of reminded me of Buehrle's gem against the Indians at the Jake in 2004. I thought that was a no-hitter as well, and even mentioned that to soxstarter at the game last night. I thought that Omar Vizquel walked and then was forced out with a DP, still allowing him to face the minimum 27 batters. Someone help me out here. Why wasn't that game a no-hitter?

Buehrle threw a two-hitter that game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE200407210.shtml

Mediocrity
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Apparently, no-hitters are of no value. The guy who puts out a popular daily email statistical summary of what happened each day just said that "Mark Buehrle pitched a shutout" in his post. A friend of mine sent him an email asking why that's all he wrote, and the reply to that was:

A comparison of the relevance of no-hitters to bestiality among baseball players, and
Dismissal from his daily email listCharming story...

That had to be Lee Sinins as I saw his write up of Mark's no hitter and about spit out my orange juice.

What a tewl.

M

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Buehrle threw a two-hitter that game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE200407210.shtml

Thanks, Miller. I was losing it last night when I saw that Wilson got the last NH for the Sox.

whitem0nkey
04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Pitch by pitch of Buehrle's no-no

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/Whitem0nkey/Sports/pitchbypitch.jpg

TDog
04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
i wonder how many games had a no hitters with a grand slam in all of baseball?

Bases-loaded home runs by the winning teams in no-hitters shouldn't be so anomalous. I wouldn't be surprised to learn no one has ever bothered to look it up. Maybe the Elias Sports Bureau is going though the records to include the answer to your question in tonight's press notes.

I think the most unresting home run anomaly in a no-hitter was Rick Wise hitting two home runs the night he held the Reds hitless in 1971. Buehrle might have done so too if Thome hadn't designated as the hitter taking his place in the lineup to hit two home runs.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Two points:

1. NEPA, Perez threw six no-hit innings that night in New York, not five as you stated.

2. I can't imagine the pressure that is on a pitcher when he gets to the late innings of a perfect or no-hit game, now add in the pressure of a pennant race and you come up with Joe Horlen, September 10, 1967 vs. Detroit.

I may have to call Joe today and revisit that one.

Lip

hawkjt
04-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Is there any chance that any pitcher in MLB history has achieved all the following?

- started and won an all-star game
-started and won a world series game
- saved a world series game
- no-hitter

That has just about got to be a unique feat in MLB history, I would guess.

MB has just had a thrilling career already ,and the beauty is that he is still like a little leaguer out there. He embodies the joy of playing baseball.

wulfy
04-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm working on a website on no-hitters, an I realize more and more that Joe Cowley's no-hitter was really, REALLY ugly:o: .

I agree - I remember watching that and thinking - is this really a no hitter - if I remember correctly a ton of walks and a couple of errors.

Hitmen77
04-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I wonder how many no-hitters in MLB history, besides the perfect games, have had the pitcher face only the minimum 27 batters?

Mark did this via pickoff. Also caught stealing or double play would work.

soxinem1
04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
In 1984 LaMarr Hoyt pitched a game I was at against the Yankees that he was unhittable in. A wind-whipped pop-up by Don Mattingly to LF fell in by the outstretched gloves of Dibber and Kittle.

Hoyt had a better fastball than usual that day and his curve was unbelievebale on this occasion as well. The next hitter did a GIDP and he ended up facing just 27 batters.

This was one of the last great games Hoyt would pitch for us.

MB's performance last night reminded me a lot of that game, except that he sealed the deal.

Another was Milt Wilcox with DET against us the year before. He had two out in the ninth and two strikes on PH Jerry Hairston when Popeye lined a single.

In 1986 Rich Dotson was returning from arm trouble and had a perfecto going against the NYY with one out in the eighth. He was on cruise control until a Mike Pagliarulo grounder snuck through for a single.

The floodgates followed and the Yankmee's scored five in the inning.

itsnotrequired
04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Also caught stealing or double play would work.

So would two walks and a triple play.:cool:

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Hitmen:

Two. Terry Mullholland and Sandy Koufax.

Also according to ESPN, Buehrle's game was the first time in baseball history a pitcher threw a no-hitter, there was a grand slam and another player had two home runs.

Lip

Baby Fisk
04-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Is there any chance that any pitcher in MLB history has achieved all the following?

- started and won an all-star game
-started and won a world series game
- saved a world series game
- no-hitter

That has just about got to be a unique feat in MLB history, I would guess.

MB has just had a thrilling career already ,and the beauty is that he is still like a little leaguer out there. He embodies the joy of playing baseball.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer, more deserving guy. But Buehrle still has other goals to strive for: a 20-win season, a Cy Young Award, and of course more World Series rings.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Wulfy:

Yep Cowley's was a no hitter even through he walked three games in an inning and the run scored via sacrifice fly.

By the way look up the box score for the 76 combined no hitter from Odom and Barrios...talk about strange!

Lip

Phil Bradley
04-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I remember Joe Cowley's 'gem'. That was one ugly game. I remember Fregosi was ready to hook him on a few occasions during that one.

Alvarez no-no was good for the first 7-8 innings, but he was gassed at the end. He battled some wildness, walked the bases loaded, and would have forced in a run if Randy Milligan does not swing at ball four.

I was at Andy Hawkins game against the Sox. Wierd day, wierd game. Too bad MLB decided it was just another game.

Why doesn't Andy Hawkins' no hitter count? Do you have to win the game for it to be a no hitter per MLB?

Lip Man 1
04-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Phil:

MLB removed all 'no hitters' that were either lost, rain shortened or in the case of Harvey Haddix went into extra innings before being lost from the "official" record books.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Why doesn't Andy Hawkins' no hitter count? Do you have to win the game for it to be a no hitter per MLB?

He only pitched 8 innings because the Sox were at home and were winning and didn't have to bat in the bottom of the 9th. :cool:

TomBradley72
04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
In 1986 Rich Dotson was returning from arm trouble and had a perfecto going against the NYY with one out in the eighth. He was on cruise control until a Mike Pagliarulo grounder snuck through for a single.

The floodgates followed and the Yankmee's scored five in the inning.

I was at that game...Dot went from perfection to batting practice pitcher in minutes..

anewman35
04-19-2007, 05:51 PM
That had to be Lee Sinins as I saw his write up of Mark's no hitter and about spit out my orange juice.

What a tewl.

M

It's annoying that he does that, but don't take it as a slight on Mark, because he's always done that for every no-hitter. It's actually rather amusing to me how he goes out of his way not to mention it.

Hitmen77
04-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Our very own Lip gets mentioned in the latest Mark Gonzales article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070419soxbrite,1,392394.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Lip Man 1
04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Hitmen:

Actually I told Mark that I COULDN'T take credit for coming up with the connection (I saw where someone at WSI had wondered about it) but that it did start me thinking and based on what I was able to check, he was the only one to do this.

I wonder if ELIAS or STATS, INC. could somehow confirm this?

Still it's always nice when someone in the mainstream media mentions the web site that a lot of folks have worked very hard to start and maintain!

Lip

voodoochile
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM

They changed the rules. A pitcher has to complete the game AND get the win for it to count. I am surprised the split one is still listed.

Unblyleven Bread
04-23-2007, 01:03 AM
I was at the last two. :bandance:

RadioheadRocks
04-23-2007, 01:09 AM
That re-definition also dumped one of our most pleasant memories around here, the Andy Hawkins Game:D: . Note that Melido Perez's 5-inning no-hitter in 1990 in not on the list, either.

We have fuddy-duddy Fay Vincent to thank for that. :rolleyes: I'm not too concerned about Melido's rain-shortened no-hitter not being counted, but here it is almost 17 years later and no matter what Fay Vincent says, that box score from the Andy Hawkins game STILL says the White Sox won 4-0 on no hits!!!

TommyJohn
04-23-2007, 07:50 AM
We have fuddy-duddy Fay Vincent to thank for that. :rolleyes: I'm not too concerned about Melido's rain-shortened no-hitter not being counted, but here it is almost 17 years later and no matter what Fay Vincent says, that box score from the Andy Hawkins game STILL says the White Sox won 4-0 on no hits!!!

I believe that the grouch who changed that was Jerome Holtzman, not Fay Vincent. I could be wrong. Regardless, Andy Hawkins pitched a no-hitter and he lost. Period.

RadioheadRocks
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I believe that the grouch who changed that was Jerome Holtzman, not Fay Vincent. I could be wrong. Regardless, Andy Hawkins pitched a no-hitter and he lost. Period.

Holtzman may have mentioned or suggested something to that effect, but Vincent was the Commissioner of Baseball at that time, so it was ultimately HIS decision to alter the record books regarding the no-hitters.