PDA

View Full Version : Damn Twins

PeteWard
04-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Mariners get one off Nathan in the 9th and then the tying run gets thrown out at home to end the game.

Edit: And Felix Hernandez was lifted in the 1st because of elbow problems

Jerko
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Mariners get one off Nathan in the 9th and then the tying run gets thrown out at home to end the game.

They seem to win 10 games a year like that. And they hammered King Felix? I thought for sure they'd lose this one. Let me guess. Santana tomorrow?? They're tough but sooner or later I think their starting pitching will catch up to them.

skobabe8
04-19-2007, 09:28 AM
They seem to win 10 games a year like that. And they hammered King Felix? I thought for sure they'd lose this one. Let me guess. Santana tomorrow?? They're tough but sooner or later I think their starting pitching will catch up to them.

It looked like Felix was hurt during the game.

TwinKess
04-19-2007, 09:48 AM
I turned the game on mid way through the top of the first. "King" Felix was already out of the game and had given up 3 ER.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-19-2007, 10:07 AM
I turned the game on mid way through the top of the first. "King" Felix was already out of the game and had given up 3 ER.

He asked out and had "elbow stiffness".

spiffie
04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Nah, they'll bring up Garza and 3 more prospects and somehow all of them will pitch just well enough for them to win. Seriously, anyone who ever bets against the Twins to be a good team is just begging to lose money. They will find a way to win 90 games this year I suspect.

soxinem1
04-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I'll give credit where credit is due, but any staff with Ramon Ortiz and Sidney Ponson has to fail eventually, right?:(:

Unless of course they both have career years.:angry:

We shall see.

TDog
04-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Nathan recently has been mortal. Coming into a tie game at home against Tampa Bay, he was hammered with two doubles and two singles to lose the game. It looks like he should have blown the save last night.

As Sox fans, it's easy to feel disappointment with the Twins losing a game they could have lost. But some of us are still upset about the game Bobby Jenks blew in Oakland more than a week ago.

I'm not so inclined to believe in the inevitability of the Twins winning as some around here.

ma-gaga
04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
That's two games already that the Twins have won because the other team made critical, 9th inning outs on the basepaths. :o:

Beltre was the only the tying run, but still, Sexson was on-deck, and he hit a 3 run bomb earlier... It was just a screwey night. Even the Twins announcers said that the Twins were lucky last night.

I'm holding my breath on Ortiz and Silva. Yeah, they look good superficially, but hitting in general is down. We'll see what happens as the season goes along.

:gulp:

spiffie
04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
That's two games already that the Twins have won because the other team made critical, 9th inning outs on the basepaths. :o:

Beltre was the only the tying run, but still, Sexson was on-deck, and he hit a 3 run bomb earlier... It was just a screwey night. Even the Twins announcers said that the Twins were lucky last night.

I'm holding my breath on Ortiz and Silva. Yeah, they look good superficially, but hitting in general is down. We'll see what happens as the season goes along.

:gulp:
That's how it always goes for that team. Other teams become ****ing brain-impaired and do stupid things, balls bounce in funny ways, every ****ing break in the world finds them until the playoffs when they go into their yearly choke. I ****ing hate the Twins.

jdm2662
04-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I just watched the play. The ball wasn't hit terribly hard, and it was bobbled in RF. And Beltre was still out? I swear, the Twins have to be the luckiest team in history of mankind.

AnkleSox
04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Nathan recently has been mortal. Coming into a tie game at home against Tampa Bay, he was hammered with two doubles and two singles to lose the game. It looks like he should have blown the save last night.

As Sox fans, it's easy to feel disappointment with the Twins losing a game they could have lost. But some of us are still upset about the game Bobby Jenks blew in Oakland more than a week ago.

I'm not so inclined to believe in the inevitability of the Twins winning as some around here.

Here's to hoping Nathan pulls a Lidge :gulp: . Seriously, that guy looks like a such a creep.

Maybe its just because i hate the ****ing twins.

SBSoxFan
04-19-2007, 03:53 PM

I think they've already met their quota this season.

Murphy10
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I hope they don't push Felix to hard in getting back.

His future is so bright I would hate to see them push it and injuring himself to Liriano status. Damn twins

TCentral
04-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Do sox fans realize how many close ballgames we won during the WS season?

Thats what it takes me boi.

QCIASOXFAN
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Do sox fans realize how many close ballgames we won during the WS season?

Thats what it takes me boi.:unsure: This has been happening for years though.

Jerko
04-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Didn't they win a game last year when someone slid into home and the catcher broke his arm or something, the ball got away, and the other guy on base came around to score the winning run? THAT'S the kind of stuff we're talking about, not just close games. Goofy ****.

Tragg
04-20-2007, 12:13 AM
ON a year in/year out basis, the Twins are the luckiest team.

TwinKess
04-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Didn't they win a game last year when someone slid into home and the catcher broke his arm or something, the ball got away, and the other guy on base came around to score the winning run? THAT'S the kind of stuff we're talking about, not just close games. Goofy ****.

I THINK that was Shannon Stewart who hit the ball, and Bengie Molina the catcher. I can't remember who crashed into him.

BTW: love the site, even though you guys root for the White Sox :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Jerko:

It was a few years ago in Minnesota against the Angels. After Stewert slammed into Molina breaking his wrist, the ball somehow spun UP the line towards first base allowing the other run to score. (Normally you'd think the ball would roll backwards towards the backstop where the pitcher was backing up the play.

I want to say it was in 2004.

Lip

ma-gaga
04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
It was a few years ago in Minnesota against the Angels. After Stewert slammed into Molina breaking his wrist, the ball somehow spun UP the line towards first base allowing the other run to score. (Normally you'd think the ball would roll backwards towards the backstop where the pitcher was backing up the play.

Couldn't actually find it using the WSI search, but Google came up with a great LINK (http://blogs.salon.com/0001739/2003/09/04.html)

Unearned Glory

Twins are in a pennant race. Big time. Neck and neck with the White Sox, with the Miracle Royals lurking two games behind. Yesterday saw the Twins entering the bottom of the ninth against the Angels, and down by a run. Angels closer Troy Percival is on the mound.

Troy Percival has thrown 37 career innings against the Twins without giving up an earned run. Read that again. First two batters up, first two batters down. Understand, Troy Percival is filthy, meaning he has the kind of stuff batters just don't want to face. A sizzling, riding fastball that reaches the upper '90s with movement, and a nasty breaking pitch that freezes batters at the knees, because they think it's heat coming for their heads. By the time they figure out it's not, it's across the plate and they are walking back to the bench.

So, naturally, Ron Gardenhire sends up a rookie (albeit a good one) in Justin Morneau. Morneau works the count full, fouls off two nasty pitches, and eventually coaxes a two-out walk. Gardenhire pinch-runs for Morneau with Dustan Mohr, a guy built like a Division II linebacker who's got average speed and is known for a devil-may-care attitude on the bases that sometimes causes him to run into foolish outs. The next batter, Shannon Stewart, manages to get around on a Percival fastball and lines a double past the third baseman and into the left-field corner.

And that's when the fun started. Was Mohr going to make it around to score the tying run? He gets to third and looks to third base coach Al Newman for the sign, indicating whether he should stay at third or try to score. Now, this in itself is it's own little drama. Newman has had a lot of rough spots at third base this year. Sometimes he sends runners to the plate, only to be out by a mile, and other times he has held runners, only to be publicly called out by players afterward for not being aggressive enough. So what does Newman do? According to subsequent interviews I have heard with Newman, he factors in that it is Percival on the mound, that the Twins still would need one more hit to score the tying run, that the Angels need to make two good throws to home and that the catcher has to hold onto the ball, and he decides to wave his arm like a windmill to send Mohr home, despite the fact that he felt that Mohr was going to be out. He did this because he had begun to second-guess himself, because he had read criticism of his conservative ways from the players in the paper, and because Ron Gardenhire told him to be aggressive with two outs. So he sent a man running into an almost certain out not because he wanted to, but because he thought it would make others happy.

The throw beat Mohr home by about fifteen feet (a mile, in other words). Angels catcher Benji Molina had time to catch the ball, pass it around the dugout for a team autograph, take off all his catcher's gear to relieve himself in the clubhouse, then put the gear back on to go out and apply the tag.
As a runner, I've been in that position. You have three choices. You can go back to third, where you will be a dead duck. Or you can keep moving forward and try to either evade a tag or seperate the ball from the catcher. Dustan Mohr ain't the kind of guy to go back to third, and he ain't the kind of guy to try to evade the tag. Dustan Mohr was going to home plate, Benji Molina or no Benji Molina.

There's a right way to apply a tag, and a wrong way. The right way is to not present your body for a collision, as you would when you were blocking the plate. When you have a runner out by three Kobe lengths, you don't have to block the plate. You simply step forward, transfer the ball from your glove to your hand, and absorb the impact of the runner with your hands and arms, and let the momentum spin you away from the runner.

Molina didn't do that. He presented his body as a target, and didn't transfer the ball. Mohr used his shoulder (and probably his hands a bit, too) and dislodged the ball from Molina. As the ball dribbled up the first-base line, Mohr stepped triumphantly on the plate. And immediately behind him came Shannon Stewart, who smartly never stopped running.

Just like that, Twins win. The Twins erupted onto the field in celebration. They know what luck looks like. Al Newman must surely have said "Thank You" to someone, not that anyone could hear him above the crowd. Strangest ending I've seen in a while that didn't involve Jack Cust.

Molina? Mohr broke his wrist in two places, a shame for a tough gritty player. He's out for the rest of the year. Baseball is a lot of different things. But in a pennant race, in a game that would eventually vault them into a tie for first, with two outs and the ballgame on the line, and nothing to do but try to seperate a large armored man from a baseball in his clutches, Dustan Mohr did what he had to do. He made the play. In a tight race that will most likely go down to the wire, a play straight out of a football game might end up being one of the plays that makes the Twins' year.

And what else did Molina get for his troubles besides a broken wrist? An error! They gave him a freaking error! Insult to injury.

All of which means that Troy Percival still hasn't given up an earned run to the Twins.

I hope clipping this much of the page is ok. It was 3 1/2 years ago. :cool:

*edit* That site is pretty much defunct. The last post on it was a year and a half ago, and their 'new' url doesn't work...

SoxSpeed22
04-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I just hope the Mariners lay down to us the same way they laid down to the Twins in this series.

Jerko
04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Couldn't actually find it using the WSI search, but Google came up with a great LINK (http://blogs.salon.com/0001739/2003/09/04.html)

I hope clipping this much of the page is ok. It was 3 1/2 years ago. :cool:

*edit* That site is pretty much defunct. The last post on it was a year and a half ago, and their 'new' url doesn't work...

Man it was that long ago???? I remember the play but I guess I suck at remembering years........ ***????

PeteWard
04-20-2007, 11:04 PM
I THINK that was Shannon Stewart who hit the ball, and Bengie Molina the catcher. I can't remember who crashed into him.

BTW: love the site, even though you guys root for the White Sox :cool:

Welcome.

I don't think the Twins are lucky..they just always play hard and never quit. However, that awful dome has given you guys a significant advantage over the years and all of us will be glad to see it imploded.

RadioheadRocks
04-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Kansas City hangs on 11-7. :bandance:

PeteWard
04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Kansas City hangs on 11-7. :bandance:

My God...Ponson and Rincon just blew.:cool: