PDA

View Full Version : Rowand's numbers so far this year

Rowandws33
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Anyone besides me notice how well Rowand has been doing so far. He is hitting .341 with 5 RBI and 2 SB would be nice to see him keep that up.

Jerko
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I'll get it out of the way now and save a few dozen posts.

Inferior comptetion, national/minor league. etc. etc. etc.

dwalteroo
04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
As will I:

Trade for him, Grinderball, possible Charlotte pitcher options, not worth it. Rinse, repeat.

Rowandws33
04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
right the mets pitching staff really sucks good point....

Domeshot17
04-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Actually the mets staff is pretty bad.

Right now though I don't care who he is, if he can hit better then anderson and erstad, bring him on, because neithet of them has done jack with the bat so far.

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Anyone besides me notice how well Rowand has been doing so far. He is hitting .341 with 5 RBI and 2 SB would be nice to see him keep that up.

That's better than anyone on the Sox.

TDog
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Right now though I don't care who he is, if he can hit better then anderson and erstad, bring him on, because neithet of them has done jack with the bat so far.

I think the White Sox would jump at an even-up trade of Anderson for Rowand. The Phillies wouldn't go for it, so the point is moot.

oeo
04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Good for him. :thumbsup:

He seemed to have a tough year last year with the injuries and whatnot, so it's nice to see him succeeding.

oeo
04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I think the White Sox would jump at an even-up trade of Anderson for Rowand. The Phillies wouldn't go for it, so the point is moot.

I still think Anderson will be the better player. :dunno:

getonbckthr
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Orlando Hudson=.393,
Kaz Matsui=.361
Rich Aurilia=.356
Adam Dunn=.340
Carlos Lee=.340
Pujols=.160
Manny=.205
Get the point i'm making.

Rowandws33
04-18-2007, 04:55 PM
i hope Rowand has a great year it would be nice to see. Iam not trying to start any bring back Rowand to the White Sox thread or anything. If you can read the post i said Rowands numbers so far.

getonbckthr
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
i hope Rowand has a great year it would be nice to see. Iam not trying to start any bring back Rowand to the White Sox thread or anything. If you can read the post i said Rowands numbers so far.
I never said you were starting a BBA-ROW thread, I was just pointing out how meaningless stats are 2 weeks in. In June if he is at the same average then it means something.

04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
How is Joe Borchard doing? Or Miguel Olivo? Since AJ and Erstad are struggling maybe we should bring one of them back.

TDog
04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I still think Anderson will be the better player. :dunno:

When the White Sox acquired Thome, I believe they would have preferred dealing Rowand than dealing Anderson. From what I have read, though, it appears that Anderson has not been an impressive major leaguer -- not simply because he hasn't hit, but because he doesn't work to improve his game.

Many fans only see that he's not playing and interpret that as the team not giving him a chance. Baseball people seem to be seeing things differently.

soxfan13
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Have you happened to notice what the guy we traded for is doing AGAIN:rolleyes:

champagne030
04-19-2007, 12:44 PM
When the White Sox acquired Thome, I believe they would have preferred dealing Rowand than dealing Anderson. From what I have read, though, it appears that Anderson has not been an impressive major leaguer -- not simply because he hasn't hit, but because he doesn't work to improve his game.

Many fans only see that he's not playing and interpret that as the team not giving him a chance. Baseball people seem to be seeing things differently.

Who are these baseball people?

TDog
04-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Who are these baseball people?

When is the last time you heard anything good from outside of Chicago about Brian Anderson's potential? Before he came up to the Sox, people believed in his potential, to varying degrees.

Read through the Brian Anderson threads. It has been reported that he hasn't, until recently, cooperated with his coaches. His work ethic also has come into some question. Whether or not this is true, the buzz around Brian Anderson is negative. That is, he still may have more potential than Aaron Rowand, but he's not "a gamer."

If Brian Anderson were released (hypothetically, because I don't see that happening) and signed with another team as a free agent and provided what he has provided the Sox since he came up, I'm guessing fans of his new team would look at him the way Sox fans used to look at Royce Clayton. The analogy isn't perfect because Clayton didn't seem to try as hard on the toughest chances. Also, I'm sure Brian Anderson is wearing spikes on the bench in case he is called on to pinch run.

A lot of people here seem to think that Brian Anderson will one day figure out how to hit consistently just as Joe Crede seemed to do. But Joe Crede for a few years worked hard with Greg Walker on his hitting. Until recently, Brian Anderson wasn't even doing that.

Darin Erstad is the regular center fielder right now because he has something in common with Aaron Rowand, and even Jermaine Dye that Brian Anderson does not.

Jaffar
04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
How is Joe Borchard doing? Or Miguel Olivo? Since AJ and Erstad are struggling maybe we should bring one of them back.

.279 avg, .367 obp, 2 HR, 8 rbi, 5 bb, 13 so
I always liked Joe and wish him the best.

champagne030
04-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Read through the Brian Anderson threads. It has been reported that he hasn't, until recently, cooperated with his coaches. His work ethic also has come into some question. Whether or not this is true, the buzz around Brian Anderson is negative. That is, he still may have more potential than Aaron Rowand, but he's not "a gamer."

What threads? The scouts are now running blogs and their own message boards? I'm calling bull**** on this whole work ethic thing and that's because of what JJL, of the White Sox told me. And it's got nothing to do with work ethic.

If Brian Anderson were released (hypothetically, because I don't see that happening) and signed with another team as a free agent and provided what he has provided the Sox since he came up, I'm guessing fans of his new team would look at him the way Sox fans used to look at Royce Clayton. The analogy isn't perfect because Clayton didn't seem to try as hard on the toughest chances. Also, I'm sure Brian Anderson is wearing spikes on the bench in case he is called on to pinch run.

:rolleyes: The guy's had 375 MLB AB's. It's a little early to call him a bust.

A lot of people here seem to think that Brian Anderson will one day figure out how to hit consistently just as Joe Crede seemed to do. But Joe Crede for a few years worked hard with Greg Walker on his hitting. Until recently, Brian Anderson wasn't even doing that.

Again, where are you getting your information? Joe had the same long ass swing for years. It wasn't until he finally had it broken down that he began to change and then produce. Walker admitted he didn't want to work on Brian's swing. How is that Brian's fault?

Darin Erstad is the regular center fielder right now because he has something in common with Aaron Rowand, and even Jermaine Dye that Brian Anderson does not.

What is that? Being a favorite of Ozzie Guillen? The three of them play a lower caliber of defense?

WhiteSox5187
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't think Rowand really has a place on this team anymore and I think BA is the better long term answer in CF. Having said that I still like him a lot and root for him. I hope he does well.

russ99
04-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Orlando Hudson=.393,
Kaz Matsui=.361
Rich Aurilia=.356
Adam Dunn=.340
Carlos Lee=.340
Pujols=.160
Manny=.205
Get the point i'm making.

Got a problem with "El Caballo" doing well early? :angry: He's gonna have a great year in the Juice Box.

If the Sox throw in Logan, the Phils might go for Rowand for Anderson. I'm not sure Kenny would especially considering Aaron's salary.

getonbckthr
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Got a problem with "El Caballo" doing well early? :angry: He's gonna have a great year in the Juice Box.

If the Sox throw in Logan, the Phils might go for Rowand for Anderson. I'm not sure Kenny would especially considering Aaron's salary.
Hey Russ do me a favor in your sig with your Brian Anderson counter add in at bats so you tell the whole story.

santo=dorf
04-19-2007, 04:53 PM

That trade would be stupid. Rowand is going to be a free agent after the year and there's a great chance he could be back for next year because Erstad is a flop, Pods is always hurt, and Ozzie doesn't want to play Anderson.

Amazingly Rowand has walked 10 times this year. Last year he walked 18 times in 109 games, and 32 times in 157 games back in 2005.

TDog
04-19-2007, 05:17 PM
What threads? The scouts are now running blogs and their own message boards? I'm calling bull**** on this whole work ethic thing and that's because of what JJL, of the White Sox told me. And it's got nothing to do with work ethic.

:rolleyes: The guy's had 375 MLB AB's. It's a little early to call him a bust.

Again, where are you getting your information? Joe had the same long ass swing for years. It wasn't until he finally had it broken down that he began to change and then produce. Walker admitted he didn't want to work on Brian's swing. How is that Brian's fault?

What is that? Being a favorite of Ozzie Guillen? The three of them play a lower caliber of defense?

I didn't call Brian Anderson a bust. I said that he isn't as well thought of as he used to be. As for Greg Walker not working with Anderson, I heard firsthand from Walker in January that he never liked his approach at the plate, but was told that Anderson had always hit. It wasn't that Walker didn't want to work with him. (Before the 2005 season, I heard Walker say that Crede was ready to have a break-out season at the plate.) There remain specific holes in Anderson's swing. Perhaps the organization bears some blame for anointing Anderson as the starting centerfielder before the 2006 season and not requiring him to work harder for the job.

In a recent Anderson thread (maybe this is only tangentially an Anderson thread, as seems to happen at WSI), Anderson was implicated in watching television when he should have been watching a video of his swing. I know a lot of people around here really like Anderson and find it easier to blame Walker and Ozzie Guillen for his unimpressive-to-date major league career. But if Rowand had not been traded, Anderson might still be playing AAA ball. If not, he probably would have made himself a better player than he is to date.

Rowand can, and has, run through walls to win. So has Darin Erstad. I don't see the same intensity with Anderson. I believe Royce Clayton holds the Sox shortstop fielding percentage record, and i don't know of anyone who was excited to see him in the game when he played for the Sox.

If Anderson isn't one of Guillen's favorite's, it's likely that Anderson bears at least some of the blame. I believe that was the case with Brandon McCarthy as well as Anderson.

EMachine10
04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
:?: another rowand thread?:rolleyes:

will it ever end?

Jaffar
04-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Rowand can, and has, run through walls to win. So has Darin Erstad. I don't see the same intensity with Anderson. I believe Royce Clayton holds the Sox shortstop fielding percentage record, and i don't know of anyone who was excited to see him in the game when he played for the Sox.

Maybe they should put some walls up randomly in the outfield so Anderson looks more "intense" after getting jumps and taking better routes to balls. My hotlinks didn't work. Andersons catch June 9th against Cleveland, but the wall was padded How about this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cws&ym=200606)

TDog
04-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Maybe they should put some walls up randomly in the outfield so Anderson looks more "intense" after getting jumps and taking better routes to balls. My hotlinks didn't work. Andersons catch June 9th against Cleveland, but the wall was padded How about this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cws&ym=200606)

It's a shame he hasn't brought the same dedication to improving his offensive game.

TomBradley72
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
When's the last time anyone heard someone describe BA as a "tireless worker", first one to arrive/last one to leave, etc? That's exactly what we should be hearing about him as the 25th man on the roster after having the CF job handed to him in 2006.

Instead we get this:

From the Sun Times....sounds like he's beginning to throw in the towel...I think OG was hoping for more fight from him:

''You know what? If I have to go somewhere else, that's the business,'' Anderson said. ''I might have more opportunity in another organization, but you do want to get it done with the team that drafted you. ''I don't know what plans they have for me. I'm kind of tired of thinking about that. I'm to the point where I don't care about what they want to do -- keep me, trade me, send me down. Pretty much everyone on this roster is from a different team, so it wouldn't be the first time it happened.''

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 12:28 PM

The best part of the play was the missile he threw to third to keep the runner from advancing.

Jaffar
04-20-2007, 01:30 PM
When's the last time anyone heard someone describe BA as a "tireless worker", first one to arrive/last one to leave, etc? That's exactly what we should be hearing about him as the 25th man on the roster after having the CF job handed to him in 2006.

Instead we get this:

From the Sun Times....sounds like he's beginning to throw in the towel...I think OG was hoping for more fight from him:

''You know what? If I have to go somewhere else, that's the business,'' Anderson said. ''I might have more opportunity in another organization, but you do want to get it done with the team that drafted you. ''I don't know what plans they have for me. I'm kind of tired of thinking about that. I'm to the point where I don't care about what they want to do -- keep me, trade me, send me down. Pretty much everyone on this roster is from a different team, so it wouldn't be the first time it happened.''

Do you have the question that prompted Anderson to give that response since he is obviously responding to a question and not just tossing this out there for somebody.

FarWestChicago
04-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Do you have the question that prompted Anderson to give that response since he is obviously responding to a question and not just tossing this out there for somebody.Does it really matter what the question was? He said what he said. It really doesn't look good for the REH's at this point. They may be backing a seriously bad 'tude. :dunno:

Ziggy S
04-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Does it really matter what the question was? He said what he said. It really doesn't look good for the REH's at this point. They may be backing a seriously bad 'tude. :dunno:
If that's the case, then I give up defending this guy the way I have the last year. BA is a talent, but if he's not going to pull himself out of the hole that he's at least partially dug, he's not deserving of a starting spot anywhere on the team. I still don't see Grinderstad as any kind of an upgrade, but Ozzie luvs the hustle, and at the very least Grinderstad can be a really valuable backup.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2007, 07:58 AM

As a fan, I don't like this quote, either.

However, if I was BA, and I personally had experienced:

- my organization naming me the starting CF before 2006, only to be benched in game 2 of the 2006 season after getting two hits in game 1, in favor of a guy who simply cannot play CF at an MLB level;

- getting called out repeatedly in the media by by manager throughout 2006;

- continue to get benched at least once per series even after my hitting improved significantly;

- out-performing every Sox OF during Spring Training and yet still have my manager give the job to a veteran even my GM knew was nothing more than a 4th OF who didn't produce as well as me during spring training;

- having my manager tell the media that getting amoebic dysenterry while playing Winter Ball indicates I have a bad attitude;

- having my manager tell the media that it's my fault he didn't put me in the lineup;

- watching my replacement "grind" his way to a .169 batting average and yet only get into a game as a pinch runner in a game started by an opposing pitcher against whom I have had some success;

I probably would say something far worse.

Back to the point of the thread, though: Despite the fact that I loathe excessive Rowand-love, I'd much rather have Rowand than Erstad in CF.

The Racehorse
04-22-2007, 02:26 PM
right the mets pitching staff really sucks good point....

I think the Mets lack depth with their pitching. However, Glavine, El Duque, Maine, and believe it or not, Odalis Perez are doing well [at the moment]. Also, Pedro is waiting in the wings later in the summer.

I just heard on the Braves/Mets telecast that right now, the Mets bull-pen have the best ERA in all of baseball, at 1.11.

I'm no fan of the Mets, but I have El Duque on 3 of my fantasy teams, so I've been watching he & the Mets pretty closely.

And of course, as I type this, Schoeneweis & the Mets bully cough up the lead by allowing a 3-run bomb to the Braves. :D:

EDIT: ... and another 3-run bomb for the Mets bully. I doubt they'll be leading the league in ERA after today.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Instead we get this:

Here (http://southsidesox.com/story/2007/4/20/135738/773#readmore) is some additional context. KW admits that while he has no complaints, he does expect Ozzie to improve at his ability to handle and develop younger players.

"When you don't have a player-development background, or any background with developing young players, that's something you have to acquire on the way. You don't step into this job and have a full grasp of it. I have no complaints on how Ozzie handles the young players, but it will get better as time goes on."

Basically KW is saying that Ozzie simply does not know how to develop younger players right now. Think about it, though. Ozzie hasn't had experience developing youngsters as a manager. Throughout his tenure as Sox manager, the Sox have been a team comprised mostly of veterans!

Let's hope that Ozzie learns as much from his mishandling of Anderson as we all hope Brian learns from the experience, too.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Rowand just hit a two run shot to tie the game..his avg is .377 wow Go Rowand Go

DickAllen72
04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Rowand just hit a two run shot to tie the game..his avg is .377 wow Go Rowand Go
I wish him nothing but the best. He did a good job for the Sox, and is a great guy.

Rowandws33
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I wonder if the Sox will take a shot at getting him back in the offseason..oooo well thats a long ways away..:cool:

Jjav829
04-27-2007, 06:48 PM
15-game hitting streak for Rowand. He just hit his 5th homer of the season. Rowand is hitting .372 right now.

beckett21
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
15-game hitting streak for Rowand. He just hit his 5th homer of the season. Rowand is hitting .372 right now.

Yeah, but what about his routes in CF? :redneck

Jjav829
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, but what about his routes in CF? :redneck

I know you're joking, but from what I've seen of him this year, Rowand has looked very good defensively.

BTW, Rowand finished the night 4-5 and is hitting .390 on the year. He also has 6 doubles thus far.

DickAllen72
04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
We could use a guy like that in LF, CF or DH right about now.

EMachine10
04-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I like Aaron and all...great guy. Good player. But why do we need a running thread on his stats this year?

HotelWhiteSox
04-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Way to go ARow, if he can keep up a solid offense he'll be a pretty damn good all around player

Yeah, I like Aaron and all...great guy. Good player. But why do we need a running thread on his stats this year?

So you could reply to it.

Jjav829
04-27-2007, 10:41 PM

So people can whine and bitch about it...yet still come to a forum about mostly non-White Sox related baseball things and click on the thread. :rolleyes:

IndianWhiteSox
04-28-2007, 05:27 AM
I think the Mets lack depth with their pitching. However, Glavine, El Duque, Maine, and believe it or not, Odalis Perez are doing well [at the moment]. Also, Pedro is waiting in the wings later in the summer.

I just heard on the Braves/Mets telecast that right now, the Mets bull-pen have the best ERA in all of baseball, at 1.11.

I'm no fan of the Mets, but I have El Duque on 3 of my fantasy teams, so I've been watching he & the Mets pretty closely.

And of course, as I type this, Schoeneweis & the Mets bully cough up the lead by allowing a 3-run bomb to the Braves. :D:

EDIT: ... and another 3-run bomb for the Mets bully. I doubt they'll be leading the league in ERA after today.

It's Oliver Perez as Odalis Perez pitches for the Royals but otherwise I get your point.

Rowandws33
04-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Rowand is 4th in the league in hitting at .371. it would be nice to have that bat right now

itsnotrequired
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Rowand is 4th in the league in hitting at .371. it would be nice to have that bat right now

The Phillies don't play underwater either.

Rowandws33
04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
i guess i missed something here...:D:

Lillian
05-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I love Aaron as much as anyone of you guys, but doesn't he look quite a bit bigger than last season? His size and muscularity seem to have dramatically improved in the off season. He was always strong, and I know that he trains pretty hard, but doesn't it make you a little suspicious?
I hope he's not on HGH. It is his contract year, and he wouldn't be the first guy to look for an edge, with all of the money at stake.

DumpJerry
05-07-2007, 07:10 AM

National League pitching.

Lillian
05-07-2007, 07:32 AM
National League pitching.

Yes, you're right about the pitching not being as good, but then he didn't put up these kinds of numbers with the Phillies last year.

HerzogVon
05-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Because we need something to remind Kenny of just what an arrogant, stupid SOB he was when he traded him.

Thome is - and continues to be - the worst thing that ever happened to this team in the post-championship era. You can quote stats till you're blue in the face, but the fact remains; we won it all without Thome. Now, the team can't hit a lick because he's gone? Balderdash! Fence swinging spreads like a plague. It's time for Ozzie to hammer that into the player's collective heads until they get it - or leave.

OK, back into my cocoon. See you in a month, maybe?

IndianWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Because we need something to remind Kenny of just what an arrogant, stupid SOB he was when he traded him.

Thome is - and continues to be - the worst thing that ever happened to this team in the post-championship era. You can quote stats till you're blue in the face, but the fact remains; we won it all without Thome. Now, the team can't hit a lick because he's gone? Balderdash! Fence swinging spreads like a plague. It's time for Ozzie to hammer that into the player's collective heads until they get it - or leave.

:dumbpeople:

soxfan13
05-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Stay there!!!

bryPt
05-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I will be seeing Rowand tonight, along with Freddie Garcia who is starting, at the Diamondbacks game tonight.

Contemplating bringing a sign that says:

ROWAND, BRING MORE PIE TO CHICAGO

how much you give me?

rdivaldi
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I will be seeing Rowand tonight, along with Freddie Garcia who is starting, at the Diamondbacks game tonight.

You'll probably also be watching Chris Young play center for the D'backs. Good group of ex-Sox there.

Chips
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gif

Rowandws33
05-07-2007, 11:41 AM
the thread is in whats the score not on White Sox clubhouse..As i stated before this was not a bring back Rowand to the White Sox thread. Its just nice to see Rowand tearing it up..

DumpJerry
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
but the fact remains; we won it all without Thome.
We also won it all without MacDougal, Thornton, Javy, Toby Hall, Cintron, Erstad, Mackowiak, Aardsma, Logan, Masset, and Danks to name a few. Why pick on Thome? Did he not give you an autograph at a game once?

By the way, do you recall the beloved Aaron had two trips to the DL last year? Broken face and broken ankle.

That gosh-darn Kenny! He got rid of all the good players! We should have signed the entire 2005 roster to 10 year deals regardless of age!:angry:

TommyJohn
05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
the fact remains; we won it all without Thome.

And the fact remains that Thome is not the reason they failed to repeat in 2006, just like Rowand is not the reason they won it all in 2005. That's something that the Cult of Aaron Rowand does not seem to understand, and never will.

bryPt
05-08-2007, 09:05 AM
You'll probably also be watching Chris Young play center for the D'backs. Good group of ex-Sox there.

um, yeah I did. 2 doubles, a diving catch in the 1st to save a run from scoring, then a catch up against the wall in center robbing a triple probably. The dude was the best player on the field last night. He was killing me!

itsnotrequired
05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
um, yeah I did. 2 doubles, a diving catch in the 1st to save a run from scoring, then a catch up against the wall in center robbing a triple probably. The dude was the best player on the field last night. He was killing me!

Was he killing you with his previous four 0-4 performances this month alone?

palehozenychicty
05-08-2007, 10:35 AM

That's hateful. Young definitely has potential to be an All-Star, and KW just picked Anderson over him. Their ceilings are quite similar, but I think Young will be better offensively.

goon
05-08-2007, 10:44 AM

As much as I like to see Ex-Sox players do well, especially if they were good guys, but let's not pretend that Chris Young is having a great season so far. Despite what he may have done last night, unfortunately for Young and the D-backs, he has been sub-par offensively. I would take Erstad over him in a heartbeat considering where he is right now. He's a young guy, his plate discipline needs to improve greatly, but there is no way he would be able to survive against AL Central pitching with the way he looks at the plate. He should develop into a good player, maybe even sometime this season, but right now he is struggling.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
That's hateful. Young definitely has potential to be an All-Star, and KW just picked Anderson over him. Their ceilings are quite similar, but I think Young will be better offensively.

How was I being hateful? This isn't an Anderson-Young issue.

bryPt
05-08-2007, 11:30 AM

He was killing me because he tore it up last night, and I was comparing him to the Sox game I was at 2 weeks ago when our CF went 0-4 and looked lost.