PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we hit?

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Out of the 30 MLB teams, the White Sox are currently 30th with a team batting average of .215. We are 29th in slugging at .338 and 28th in RBI's with only 38. What is going on here? I know it's been cold, but other teams are playing in the same weather.

soxfan13
04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
The bats are broke:o:

He gone
04-18-2007, 11:25 AM
It's all Greg Walker's fault :redneck

cleanwsox
04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/9/3/4/6/666439_356x237.jpg

"We have more hits than you guys"

lumpyspun
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM

I hate that I actually know who that is.:smile:

infohawk
04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
What's so disturbing (and fascinating) is that almost every player on the team has been infected with the "can't hit" bug at the same time. Typically at least portions of a line-up will be decent while others are slumping. I have no doubt they will start to hit, but that needs to begin very, very soon and not in mid-May or June. I honestly can't explain it, though.

SBSoxFan
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I hate that I actually know who that is.:smile:

Stick Figure?

itsnotrequired
04-18-2007, 11:43 AM
What's so disturbing (and fascinating) is that almost every player on the team has been infected with the "can't hit" bug at the same time. Typically at least portions of a line-up will be decent while others are slumping. I have no doubt they will start to hit, but that needs to begin very, very soon and not in mid-May or June. I honestly can't explain it, though.

That's why I'm not too worried about it. It is all but impossible for all the hitters to continue slumping.

My only hope is that the number of slumps this season are few. That's the best you can do.

PennStater98r
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
The bats are broke:o:

They may not have any money - that's true, but they seem to be a malfunctioning as well.

:redneck

lumpyspun
04-18-2007, 11:53 AM
:hawk
"Hitting, or lack of hitting, is contagious."

IlliniSox4Life
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
My friend works at USCF and is in and out of the clubhouse all the time. He told me that the players have been eating a lot of salads lately. Maybe that has something to do with it?

soxfan13
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
They may not have any money - that's true, but they seem to be a malfunctioning as well.

:gulp:

Mr.1Dog
04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
My friend works at USCF and is in and out of the clubhouse all the time. He told me that the players have been eating a lot of salads lately. Maybe that has something to do with it?

So send them to Fogo or Brazazz and get some meat into them.

ILuvThatDuck
04-18-2007, 11:59 AM
The bats have holes in them. :(:

SoxxoS
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
When you have a bunch of power hitters - You are going to get more streaky hitting - They swing and miss a lot, where as if you have a team full of Ichiros or Ecksteins, you aren't going to have the peaks and valleys associated with power hitters.

Add that hitting is fairly contagious and none of our players are really in a groove right now, and its cold outside, and we have faced Harden, Santana and Sabathia twice - it equals a ballclub struggling to hit. It will all come around...this is a lineup of proven hitters (outside of Erstad and Uribe).

TDog
04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Obviously the White Sox haven't hit their stride yet.

Iwritecode
04-18-2007, 12:16 PM
When you have a bunch of power hitters - You are going to get more streaky hitting - They swing and miss a lot, where as if you have a team full of Ichiros or Ecksteins, you aren't going to have the peaks and valleys associated with power hitters.

Add that hitting is fairly contagious and none of our players are really in a groove right now, and its cold outside, and we have faced Harden, Santana and Sabathia twice - it equals a ballclub struggling to hit. It will all come around...this is a lineup of proven hitters (outside of Erstad and Uribe).

Getting shut down by Santana or Sabathia I can see. The problem is that they are also getting shut down by guys like Chad Gaudin, Paul Byrd and Robinson Tejeda.

SoxxoS
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Getting shut down by Santana or Sabathia I can see. The problem is that they are also getting shut down by guys like Chad Gaudin, Paul Byrd and Robinson Tejeda.

Paul Byrd is just a pitcher that gives us fits...He is immortal in my eyes, as he kept the Sox from an undefeated post season.

Chad Gaudin is pitching really well this year (definitely not in his past)...but he has pitched well the other 2 times he pitched. Very well, in fact.

I got nothing on Tejeda. :cool:

eriqjaffe
04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I got nothing on Tejeda. :cool:I can name 8 other guys who have nothing on him, too.

jabrch
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
We can hit just fine. We haven't - but we can. There is a difference.

infohawk
04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Then it's time the Vertucci boys paid them a visit.

veeter
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM

"We have more hits than you guys"Is that the Phillies outfield. "Cause I know that's Rowand on the right.

infohawk
04-18-2007, 01:03 PM
That's why I'm not too worried about it. It is all but impossible for all the hitters to continue slumping.

My only hope is that the number of slumps this season are few. That's the best you can do.
The only thing that concerns me is that the 2003 team started the season absolutely struggling on offense. I remember Hawk saying that the coaching staff would wake up every morning and say, "Today's the day we're going to break out of it." They didn't break out of it until summer if I recall correctly. I remember going to a game that Loaiza pitched against the horrible Detroit team (that we couldn't seem to beat). The Sox gave up one run and lost 1-0. Now, I honestly don't think we're going to struggle for that long, but the 2003 season is my nightmare scenario. Another difference is that our pitching staff, top to bottom, is much better now. Also, we started the 2003 season dropping three straight games to the Royals and were in a hole for awhile. We're basically hovering just below .500 at this point.

Turcle
04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
The Sox are struggling right now but for those you thank don't know Tejeda lost to TB but whooped the Red Sox. A lineup that I think is much more fearsome than the White Sox. In that game he pitched even better, 7.0 IP no Runs scored. So I guess maybe he feeds on the fearsome lineups...:?:

rdwj
04-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Is that the Phillies outfield. "Cause I know that's Rowand on the right.

LOL - that's funny - I thought the same thing initially!

For those of us not up on what the kids are listening to these days, can someone please name that band?

itsnotrequired
04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
For those of us not up on what the kids are listening to these days, can someone please name that band?

I belive they are called "Sparticus' Beard".

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
The Sox are struggling right now but for those you thank don't know Tejeda lost to TB but whooped the Red Sox. A lineup that I think is much more fearsome than the White Sox. In that game he pitched even better, 7.0 IP no Runs scored. So I guess maybe he feeds on the fearsome lineups...:?:

Red Sox have a more fearsome line-up than us???:o:

chitownhawkfan
04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Considering that Juan Uribe has had to carry the offense I'm just glad we are in the vicinity of .500. It just blows watching great pitching performances and no run support, it is almost more frustrating than bad pitching and great hitting.

skobabe8
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Considering that Juan Uribe has had to carry the offense I'm just glad we are in the vicinity of .500. It just blows watching great pitching performances and no run support, it is almost more frustrating than bad pitching and great hitting.

I was hoping someone else would bring that up. Looking at where we rank offensively, I am really happy about our record.

veeter
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
LOL - that's funny - I thought the same thing initially!

For those of us not up on what the kids are listening to these days, can someone please name that band?That's the once promising band, Creed. The singer in the middle, although pretty good, is a total jack ass. I think they broke up.

chisoxwschamps05
04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Out of the 30 MLB teams, the White Sox are currently 30th with a team batting average of .215. We are 29th in slugging at .338 and 28th in RBI's with only 38. What is going on here? I know it's been cold, but other teams are playing in the same weather.
Maybe it's because the other team won't let us put the ball on a tee.

chitownhawkfan
04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
That's the once promising band, Creed. The singer in the middle, although pretty good, is a total jack ass. I think they broke up.

:tealpolice:

Put your hands up and back away from the Creed album!!!

hawkjt
04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I am sticking to the cold weather theory. The sox have had only 3 games in reasonable weather while the twins have had only two games(vs sox) that are cold weather.

I think it is easier for a texas to play in warm weather, get in a groove, then come north for a few games and not be affected. sox have never been in a warm groove . twins only have those two cold games the whole month of april, and then by may- weather is ok. I just feel mother nature and the schedule has dealt a huge blow to the sox that they may never be able to recover from.

MISoxfan
04-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Red Sox have a more fearsome line-up than us???:o:

I was thinking the same thing. If any team has a more fearsome lineup than the sox it's by a small margin.

Jurr
04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
The only thing that concerns me is that the 2003 team started the season absolutely struggling on offense. I remember Hawk saying that the coaching staff would wake up every morning and say, "Today's the day we're going to break out of it." They didn't break out of it until summer if I recall correctly. I remember going to a game that Loaiza pitched against the horrible Detroit team (that we couldn't seem to beat). The Sox gave up one run and lost 1-0. Now, I honestly don't think we're going to struggle for that long, but the 2003 season is my nightmare scenario. Another difference is that our pitching staff, top to bottom, is much better now. Also, we started the 2003 season dropping three straight games to the Royals and were in a hole for awhile. We're basically hovering just below .500 at this point.
That was my point last night. The Sox teams of 2001-2004 played a style of offense that was highly "all or nothing". One game would be a laugher with homers galore. The next game would be a festival of fly balls and frustration, and many times it occurred at the hands of a no-name pitcher. It was all about the approach.

The '05 team had enough offensive variety to put pressure on a pitcher early and often, allowing our starters to pitch with confidence. Pitchers end up waiting on the three run homer just as much as the offense, and that just won't do. The success of the '05 team is largely attributed to pitching. The versatility of the offense had just as much to do with it, IMO.

You cannot slug your way to a championship. It just doesn't happen. There needs to be more than one way to score runs. Period. We've seen this offensive approach before, and we know the result. The Twins will blow right by us with their versatility. Now is the time for this team's hitters to get back to a team hitting approach. Hit the ball where it's pitched. Don't cheat on every pitch, hoping to pull it out of the park. Keep the line moving and the pitcher tired. That's the approach that will give this offense confidence and put wins on the board.

thomas35forever
04-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a feeling that tonight, our offense will heat up in the bottom of the ninth and end with one of these:
:walkoff:

:bandance: POST NUMBER 3,000!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

Jurr
04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a feeling that tonight, our offense will heat up in the bottom of the ninth and end with one of these:
:walkoff:

:bandance: POST NUMBER 3,000!!!!!!!!!:bandance:
Funny. If you watch that game again, you'll see a team going up the middle, stealing bases, and focusing on the ball to win the game. AJ's homer was even an opposite field job. That's exactly what this team needs.

Red Barchetta
04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
The good news is that no AL Central team is off to a great start. We're at or near the bottom in most major catagories of offense and we're 5-7 going into tonight's game. Our hitters are too good to keep this up.

DumpJerry
04-19-2007, 12:17 AM
When I saw the title of this thread at 11:15 p.m. on April 18, 2007, I thought a Rangers' fan had accidentally logged on thinking he was on Rangersinteractive.com..........:D:

White Sox Randy
04-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Don't worry about hitting ! We've got Pods AND Erstad !

Besides, it's only April and everyone knows that these games don't count and it's no indicator of anything to come.

Erstad once hit well in one season back about 7 years ago. So there.

FarWestChicago
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Don't worry about hitting ! We've got Pods AND Erstad !

Besides, it's only April and everyone knows that these games don't count and it's no indicator of anything to come.

Erstad once hit well in one season back about 7 years ago. So there.Keep up the Homefish stuff and you'll get the same treatment.

White Sox Randy
04-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Keep up the Homefish stuff and you'll get the same treatment.

Do me a favor. Please permanently ban me from this site so that I won't be tempted to post here again. Thank you.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Do me a favor. Please permanently ban me from this site so that I won't be tempted to post here again. Thank you.

What a drama queen...

:rolleyes:

jabrch
04-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm sure your request will be accomodated.

CLR01
04-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Why do we need to ban you? You stop coming.

voodoochile
04-20-2007, 12:38 PM

No problem. Have a good life...

Jerko
04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.expertees.com/t-shirts/images/drama-queen-t-shirt.jpg

IlliniSox4Life
04-20-2007, 01:20 PM
About time. Randy was one of two people I had on my block list. However I was always curious as to what the people were saying, so I took em off.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2007, 01:21 PM
About time. Randy was one of two people I had on my block list. However I was always curious as to what the people were saying, so I took em off.

*itsnotrequired adds IlliniSox4Life to block list for spite*

FarWestChicago
04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Do me a favor. Please permanently ban me from this site so that I won't be tempted to post here again. Thank you.I apologize for not being able to whack you, Randy. It appears there were a line of people taking care of it long before I got here. :cool:

Ranger
04-21-2007, 03:27 PM

I rarely post (in fact, this could be my first), but this...is...awesome.

HawkDJ
04-21-2007, 04:24 PM
White Sox Randy in no way represents the town of Buffalo Grove

Ziggy S
04-21-2007, 07:13 PM
:hawk
HE GONE

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye

Frontman
04-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Back on the topic raised.

I think the team has started to get back into (pardon the pun) the swing of things. The only two I'm concerned about is Erstad (as he just seems to be getting worse) and Paulie as the man looks as if he's about to have a stroke. Paul's too good of a hitter to have a season long slump, so I'm hoping today's RBI hit gives him a bit of confidence.

Crede's come around, Dye is getting there. Now, if Molina could get a hit, I'd immediately have more confidence in him than Erstad.

palehozenychicty
04-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Back on the topic raised.

I think the team has started to get back into (pardon the pun) the swing of things. The only two I'm concerned about is Erstad (as he just seems to be getting worse) and Paulie as the man looks as if he's about to have a stroke. Paul's too good of a hitter to have a season long slump, so I'm hoping today's RBI hit gives him a bit of confidence.

Crede's come around, Dye is getting there. Now, if Molina could get a hit, I'd immediately have more confidence in him than Erstad.

I think that Erstad is nothing more than a late inning replacement. He isn't good enough to play everyday anymore, and when Oz drops the pride element, he can see the reality of that. The problem is that Anderson may not be any better. But we don't know that for sure.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I'd like to credit the non-30 degree temperatures to the rise in the batting production of this team. There's a lot that can be said about hitting in football temperatures. It seems like they are a lot more patient at the plate as well. Dye and Crede especially seem to be getting it more. Now, let's get Erstad back on track with that batting average.