PDA

View Full Version : Possibility at Getting Gagne Over?

Chisoxfn
03-24-2002, 08:48 PM
OR so I Think. With the recent trade of Dodgers Closer Matt Herges that Dodgers will move Eric Gagne in the pen as the closer. Of course maybe this move means that the Dodgers want to deal Gagne to get Howry and someone else. I doubt it but I really want Gagne cause he's the real deal and would add a lot to this staff. He's got his fastball up to 97 this spring which is 3 miles an hour faster then it was last year. He also has good secondary pitches and poise cause he goes right at the hitters.
Please KW if you could do one thing right get my guy in Gagne.

Soxheads
03-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
OR so I Think. With the recent trade of Dodgers Closer Matt Herges that Dodgers will move Eric Gagne in the pen as the closer. Of course maybe this move means that the Dodgers want to deal Gagne to get Howry and someone else. I doubt it but I really want Gagne cause he's the real deal and would add a lot to this staff. He's got his fastball up to 97 this spring which is 3 miles an hour faster then it was last year. He also has good secondary pitches and poise cause he goes right at the hitters.
Please KW if you could do one thing right get my guy in Gagne.

I would like to see Gone-yay in a couple of games this year first.

Chisoxfn
03-24-2002, 08:59 PM
Living done in Southern California I've seen him pitch quite a bit. You should here my dad, a die hard Dodger fan, rave about how good this guy is. I have to agree with him 100% on it cause he has great stuff and heart. He isn't afraid to pitch like a certain Kip Wells was. He may not of had the greatest numbers ever but he has only improved since coming up and got himself in unbelievable shape this offseason. Now that he has a 97 mph heart with movement he should really be in good shape. So far this spring he's done a great job and the Dodgers have been raving about him. The only problem is Odalis Perez has been just as good, is left handed and can't really pitch in the pen due to having Tommy John Surgery.

Jerry_Manuel
03-24-2002, 09:02 PM
With the recent trade of Dodgers Closer Matt Herges

How about that Dan Evans? Dumbass.

Chisoxfn
03-24-2002, 09:05 PM
He sure is, I just made a seperate post about that. I'm not going to say he stinks but he hasn't done anything to prove me he's better then KW. I know KW has the balls to make a big trade although I'm not going to say I agree with them all the time, ie the Erstad deal.

Hopefully he'll learn how to start getting the better end of the deal but at least he shows no fear and is willing to go out and try to improve this team.

Jerry_Manuel
03-24-2002, 09:11 PM
He sure is, I just made a seperate post about that. I'm not going to say he stinks but he hasn't done anything to prove me he's better then KW. I know KW has the balls to make a big trade although I'm not going to say I agree with them all the time, ie the Erstad deal.

Hopefully he'll learn how to start getting the better end of the deal but at least he shows no fear and is willing to go out and try to improve this team.

I may not like some of the deals Williams makes, but you can see why he makes them. Like the Erstad deal for example, we needed a lead off hitter, and Kenny tried to get one. With Evans he seems to be making deals, just for the sake of making a trade.

rmusacch
03-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Living done in Southern California I've seen him pitch quite a bit. You should here my dad, a die hard Dodger fan, rave about how good this guy is. I have to agree with him 100% on it cause he has great stuff and heart. He isn't afraid to pitch like a certain Kip Wells was. He may not of had the greatest numbers ever but he has only improved since coming up and got himself in unbelievable shape this offseason. Now that he has a 97 mph heart with movement he should really be in good shape. So far this spring he's done a great job and the Dodgers have been raving about him. The only problem is Odalis Perez has been just as good, is left handed and can't really pitch in the pen due to having Tommy John Surgery.

I don't understand. Why would Tommy John surgery have to do with ability to pitch in the pen? I am asking because I do not know.

kermittheefrog
03-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

I don't understand. Why would Tommy John surgery have to do with ability to pitch in the pen? I am asking because I do not know.

Actually the recent trend is bringing guys back from TJ surgery in the pen. Matt Morris did it in 2000, John Smoltz last year and Kris Benson will this year. I think it's foolish to send a guy like Gagne who is on the verge of a breakout to the pen. Of course he'll probably do well and be labelled a closer for the rest of his career unless he gets lucky in a Derek Lower swing of things. Evans screwing up a again in letting a potential 200 inning starter become a 70 inning closer...

Chisoxfn
03-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Well the reason I said that is because I've heard that when you have Tommy John it is very difficult for you to pitch on consecutive days, especially just after the surgery. In starters cases it works good cause you can let them pitch every couple days and it is a good way to get them back in shape and limit their pressure. The other thing with Perez is I think he's had a history of arm troubles and if thats the case then you really don't want him pitching every day.

Darren Dreifort was the same way. He couldn't close cause he had so many arm surgeries. Now modern medicine is getting better and better so maybe things are changing.

Huisj
03-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Hmmm, I still gotta agree that quite often the guys that blow out their arms come back in the bullpen after surgery. Or if they do start, they are on bigtime pitch count limits at first. For example, right here on the sox, barcelo has had arm surgeries, and (aside from some fill in the garbage time with reporters talk that manual was making at the beginning of spring training) he is never really talked about as being a starter, because he's not durable enough for it.

I can see the point about not pitching on consecutive days at first maybe, but ultimately it seems like pitching in the bullpen would be an easier way to avoid overdoing things at first after surgery.

Also, didn't Odalis Perez have that surgery at least two years ago? seems like by now he's be about back to normal all the way, and would be able to pitch from the pen or start without trouble (although, 5'10" 150 pound lefties seem a little bit fragile no matter what).

Bmr31
03-25-2002, 12:14 AM

lefties rarely close games. Gagne is the closer.