PDA

View Full Version : Best Ever Closing Pitcher Entrance Music??

messma03
04-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Gotta see this. Let me know what you think:

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?ID=2578&src=mtm83 (http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?ID=2578&src=mtm83)

I'd have to say it's Mariano. Can't beat the hammer of god.

MUsoxfan
04-17-2007, 11:40 PM
None of the above. The correct answer is Shingo Takatsu. The sound of the gong and then the song that wasn't some overplayed pop/rock hit.

When Shingo was unhittable, that was some excellent stuff

RadioheadRocks
04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
How many of you remember Nancy Faust playing Ashford and Simpson's "Solid as a Rock" whenever Bob James would come in to close it out?

soxinem1
04-18-2007, 07:17 AM
How many of you remember Nancy Faust playing Ashford and Simpson's "Solid as a Rock" whenever Bob James would come in to close it out?

I remember it like yesterday.:smile: Might have won the division that year if he doesn't get hurt and miss a month.

I remember when Dave Parker was in MIL they played 'Sledgehammer' whenever he came up. Did any closers get welcomed with that song?

stl_sox_fan
04-18-2007, 07:55 AM
None of the above. The correct answer is Shingo Takatsu. The sound of the gong and then the song that wasn't some overplayed pop/rock hit.

Spot on! When I read the title of this thread Shingo and the gong came to mind. Darn shame how he lost his stuff.

Best music ever played for a pitcher? April 2002, Comiskey Park, Joe Stephen plays "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake when Chuck Finley took the mound. Stephen was of course fired and the Sox apologized.

jabrch
04-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Trevor Hoffman coming out to Hell's Bells rocks.

There is a montage of Hoffman coming out to Hell's Bells that I have seen before that is freaking awesome.

ChiSoxGirl
04-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Trevor Hoffman coming out to Hell's Bells rocks.

There is a montage of Hoffman coming out to Hell's Bells that I have seen before that is freaking awesome.

This is awesome indeed! I saw this for the first time last Monday when I was at the Padres/Giants game in San Diego. The guy sitting in front of me was as die hard of a Padres fan as we are Sox fans and he couldn't stop hyping up "Trevor Time" to me the closer we got to the 9th inning... and it definitely lived up to the hype!

jabrch
04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
This is awesome indeed! I saw this for the first time last Monday when I was at the Padres/Giants game in San Diego. The guy sitting in front of me was as die hard of a Padres fan as we are Sox fans and he couldn't stop hyping up "Trevor Time" to me the closer we got to the 9th inning... and it definitely lived up to the hype!

Hoffman doesn't get the press because he isn't in NY and he hasn't played in the post season as much as Rivera, but he is every bit as good of a closer as Rivera has been over their careers. He's a lock for 40 saves and a WHIP right around 1.00 to 1.10.

His entry - to Hell's Bells - is awesome.

Law11
04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I was at a minor league game in Schuamburg and they played Sam and Dave's Hold on I'm comin.. Thought that was a great selection.

IspepAloc
04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
When did entrance music start for closers?

I've been wondering this because on the commentary track for Major League: Wild Thing Edition, they mention that it wasn't heard of in 88 when they filmed Major League and that they could be considered the people who started that with Wild Thing.

jortafan
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
When did entrance music start for closers?

I've been wondering this because on the commentary track for Major League: Wild Thing Edition, they mention that it wasn't heard of in 88 when they filmed Major League and that they could be considered the people who started that with Wild Thing.

I remember the Yankees using the song "Pomp and Circumstance" as theme music whenever Sparky Lyle came in to pitch in relief. This was back around 1973 or 1974. That's the earliest I've ever heard of anyone using special music to introduce a relief pitcher, although someone else here may be aware of an earlier example.

My point is to say that Major League can't seriously be given credit for this. In fact, I wouldn't credit Major League for anything, except being a mediocre film that spawned two totally pointless sequels.

Then again, maybe I'm still miffed about the sequel that depicted the "high and mighty" Chicago White Sox that needed to be knocked off by the "underdog" Cleveland Indians. The reality was that the Indians were beginning an era of dominating the AL Central, while the White Sox were perennial second place finishers behind the Indians.

FedEx227
04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I always enjoyed Derrick Turnbow coming out to "Fuel" by Metallica.

Also Hoffman is up there as well.

messma03
04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Enter Sandman??

thomas35forever
04-23-2007, 03:28 PM
"Wild Thing" for Rick Vaughn:redneck

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
I used to like it when John Rocker came storming in from the bullpen to "Dueling Banjos."

:wink:

mrfourni
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Bobby Jenks "Here comes the Boom!"

SpartanSoxFan
04-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Bobby Jenks "Here comes the Boom!"

Seriously!!! Where is that on the list? :mad:

I also nominate "Back in Black" by AC/DC for Hermie...

The Dude
04-23-2007, 10:40 PM

Agreed! :thumbsup: