PDA

View Full Version : Bruce levine reporting Pods to DL

Jaffar
04-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Just came across ESPN radio 1000 and he said they are bringing up Boone Logan and keeping Erstad in CF with Mack/Ozuna in Left.

oeo
04-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Well this came out of nowhere. :?:

He looked good swinging the bat, too. And why not play Anderson? What the hell?

thegooch
04-17-2007, 03:46 PM
yeah. ***? Keep mack out of there and give BA the playing time.

IlliniSox4Life
04-17-2007, 03:46 PM
What? What the heck? He was doing so well. Hopefully this is Bruce having a case of headinhisass, but I doubt it.

If this is true, I see no reason NOT to put Erstad in left and Anderson in center. I guess maybe Ozzie wants to bat Ozuna lead off?

Chez
04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Given how punchless the offense has been, I guess I can understand Ozzie's plan. Anyone know the nature of Pods' injury?

itsnotrequired
:mg:

What the hell is going on?

SoXPriDe33
Isn't this the reason why Anderson made the club was in case of injury they had a capable outfielder to step in?

Jaffar
04-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Mack/Ozuna is just for tonight maybe? I sure hope so, I do not want to see them in LF on a regular basis. Apparently Pods injured himself during a private workout yesterday, Levine didn't say if he re-injured himself or if it is something new........I hope we don't hear about how he was rushed back now!

Law11
04-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Great...News...

:mad:

oeo
04-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Given how punchless the offense has been, I guess I can understand Ozzie's plan. Anyone know the nature of Pods' injury?

Why wouldn't you give Anderson a shot, again? That makes no sense.

And I don't think anyone knows anything; this is coming from nowhere. There haven't been any reports about him not being healthy or anything.

Chez
Mack/Ozuna is just for tonight maybe? I sure hope so, I do not want to see them in LF on a regular basis. Apparently Pods injured himself during a private workout yesterday, Levine didn't say if he re-injured himself or if it is something new........I hope we don't hear about how he was rushed back now!

Was this "private work-out" with Mrs. Pods? :D:

sox1970

Erstad
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Crede
Mackowiak
Cintron

as reported by Ofman.

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Anderson must of hired Jeff Gillooly to hit Pods in the knee. :cool:

whitem0nkey
did they say what kind of injury he had?

mccoydp
:mg:

What the hell is going on?

Yikes...I'm with you...probably a case of Podsgroin, but I'm not sure.

Jaffar
Why wouldn't you give Anderson a shot, again? That makes no sense.

And I don't think anyone knows anything; this is coming from nowhere. There haven't been any reports about him not being healthy or anything.

Coming from Levine means we have to see what the Sox report officially but there has to be something to this story.

SoxxoS
You have to play Anderson here...its a great opportunity - How is he ever going to prove himself if he isn't getting AB's in AAA or in the majors. I am not a BA lover, but this is ridiculous. Its not like Mack is Chris Duncan who has a huge bat but is such a huge liability in the OF...he isn't going to outhit BA that much to definitely say - Its Mackowiak.

Jaffar
04-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Is this just more fuel for the fire of the Ozzie/BA conspiracies?

thomas35forever
04-17-2007, 03:55 PM
What? How could Pods just go on the DL like that? He was so productive too.

Dan Mega
04-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Did anyone else happen to hear this? I had ESPN 1000 on all afternoon. Whats the nature of the injury?

DickAllen72
04-17-2007, 03:57 PM
You have to play Anderson here...its a great opportunity - How is he ever going to prove himself if he isn't getting AB's in AAA or in the majors. I am not a BA lover, but this is ridiculous. Its not like Mack is Chris Duncan who has a huge bat but is such a huge liability in the OF...he isn't going to outhit BA that much to definitely say - Its Mackowiak.
Ozzie and Anderson cannot coexist. I'm not crazy about BA, but I don't think Ozzie is ever going to put him in a position to succeed.

itsnotrequired
It's on the Trib site now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-070417soxbits,1,465542.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

The White Sox placed outfielder Scott Podsednik on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, retroactive to April 16, with a right adductor pull and recalled left-handed pitcher Boone Logan from Class-AAA Charlotte.

oeo
I'm surprised Ozzie didn't bring Terrero up and begin starting him. :redneck

JermaineDye05
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm surprised Ozzie didn't bring Terrero up and begin starting him. :redneck

I'm just surprised they didn't bring Terrero up anyways, hasn't he been tearing it up in AAA?

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Ozzie is stupid for not playing BA. I cant wait for the chance to ask him how the hell BA is supposed to play to his potential if he doesnt play him! :angry:

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Not good. An adductor pull is very close to being a groin injury.

Erstad can play LF, so we've got to be seeing BA out in Center this coming week, unless Ozzie's totally lost his mind.

Beer Can Chicken
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Out of the blue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=whitesoxpodsednik&prov=st&type=lgns

oeo
04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm just surprised they didn't bring Terrero up anyways, hasn't he been tearing it up in AAA?

Terrero has been 'tearing up' AAA for a couple of years now. He can't do it at the big league level.

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Not good. An adductor pull is very close to being a groin injury.

Erstad can play LF, so we've got to be seeing BA out in Center this coming week, unless Ozzie's totally lost his mind.

Ozzie will keep Erstad in CF and would play BA in LF, why? Ozzie said something about Erstad not seeing any time in LF. Great reason! huh? :angry:

BA by far has the best glove on the team yet he sits on the bench.

lizard6king6
04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Im PO'D to say it nicely. Everything was going fine! What the heck!!! I have been a Pods supporter forever but this is crazy! Out of nowhere hes hurt again! I hope someone steps as a leadoff guy and I believe Erstad can do it.

Jerko
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Uribe sits out too? Let's see, struggling offense, you lose your leadoff hitter who has the highest average on the team, so the next logical step is benching your leading RBI guy while weakening your infield AND outfield D by putting Mack and Cintron out there????? Sound strategy. (watch them win 10-0 now).........

Rowandws33
04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I'am going to have to agree. I think Anderson should be in the lineup. I like ozuna at the leadoff spot and then put Anderson in CF. Erstad has not done a whole lot with the bat.

JermaineDye05
04-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Terrero has been 'tearing up' AAA for a couple of years now. He can't do it at the big league level.

ah ok, and Boone can? I guess it's pick your poison considering Sweeney and Fields need consistant playing time. Where's Eduardo Perez when you need him?

whitem0nkey
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
espn 1000 is talking about it now.

Edit:
never mind the just said they would talk about it and stoped 1 min later

jenn2080
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
What the **** :?: ????

Why not play Anderson??? This is some bull ****. Anderson is better off going to another team where he can have the chance to progress offensively.

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Erstad
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Crede
Mackowiak
Cintron

as reported by Ofman.

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

DickAllen72
04-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Why not play Anderson??? This is some bull ****. Anderson is better off going to another team where he can have the chance to progress offensively.
Ozzie doesn't like him.

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2007, 04:29 PM

Totally agree. For BA's sake, I hope they trade him so that he can actually play baseball.

Rowandws33
04-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I'am going to Detroit this weekend. I'am going to have a sign that says "Hey Ozzie you wanna WIN PUT BA IN".

JermaineDye05
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Just out of curiousity did Ozzie ever confirm or say that Mack/Ozuna will start in place of BA or is this just something Levine assumed? Unless it's been confirmed I wouldn't start throwing accusations at Oz.

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Anderson may or not be a decent Major League player, so putting him in the lineup is no guarantee that he'll produce. But, sheesh, shouldn't you actually give him a chance? Especially over Mackowiak, who has proven to be a real butcher in crucial games? Anderson has the upside to be a full-time starting outfielder, and I don't think you can say the same for Ozuna or Mack.

Seriously, did BA piss in Ozzie's Cheerios or something?

russ99
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Right adductor pull is just a fancy way of saying a pulled groin muscle.

Thankfully it's a pull and not a strain. Pods should be back in a week or two, and hopefully the Sox won't rush him this time.

AJ Hellraiser
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
BA is not the answer for a team struggling to hit the ball... Most of you complain about Mack's defense, but the guy can hit... now you are complaining about the hitting on the team, but don't want to see Mack in there.. can't have it both ways fellas...

This is the reason I wasn't happy with Pods being re-signed... leg injuries, especially those to the groin, don't magically disappear.. they linger, particularly with a player in his early-30's who depends solely on his legs... I said it last year, and I'll say it again now.. Pods' big league career is basically over... thanks for 2005, but it's time to move on....

I'd personally love to see Oxuna leadoff.. his defense is much improved and you can always bring in BA/Erstad as a defensive replacement... Pablo can hit, steal bases and seems to make things happen whenever he plays...

spiffie
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow there sure are a lot of managers and GM's in this thread who seem to know the best way to run a major league franchise. And a lot of people who apparently are very close to Ozzie Guillen and know exactly what he is thinking and the reasons for his decisions.

We have no idea why BA is not starting. Perhaps Ozzie is not happy with his preparation or his approach. Perhaps BA will get a lot of starts during this time, but for tonight Ozzie wants to use this lineup. The point is we don't know ****, but we sure are bitching a lot. Get well soon Pods and come back ready to wreak havoc on the basepaths.

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Wow there sure are a lot of managers and GM's in this thread who seem to know the best way to run a major league franchise. And a lot of people who apparently are very close to Ozzie Guillen and know exactly what he is thinking and the reasons for his decisions.

We have no idea why BA is not starting. Perhaps Ozzie is not happy with his preparation or his approach. Perhaps BA will get a lot of starts during this time, but for tonight Ozzie wants to use this lineup. The point is we don't know ****, but we sure are bitching a lot. Get well soon Pods and come back ready to wreak havoc on the basepaths.

If we dont bitch, what else are we going to do? :redneck

DickAllen72
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Anderson may or not be a decent Major League player, so putting him in the lineup is no guarantee that he'll produce. But, sheesh, shouldn't you actually give him a chance?
My thoughts exactly. I have my doubts about BA, but I don't think Ozzie really wants to put him in a position to succeed.

Take it FWIW, but on the "other site" there has been talk that Ozzie holds a grudge against Brian because of uncomplementary comments Brian made about his experience in Venezuela. I have no idea if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

veeter
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Seriously, what is Dergan doing to this guy?

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Ozzie has said all year that he's got no problem with BA's attitude or anything like that. Both he and Mack aren't hitting worth **** right now, so the only thing I can think of is that with a righty on the mound, Mack is a better fit. But the next 2 games are against righties also. That potential "offensive boost" from Mack doesn't seem worth it vs. his skills in the outfield. I'm willing to see what happens if they platoon, but if BA's going to rot on the bench I just don't understand it.

oeo
04-17-2007, 04:43 PM

The situation is different than before. Now we have an injury, and instead of playing a guy who could be our future CF'er...we're playing two utility players. There's no reason not to at least give Brian a chance.

We're basing this off of the only information we have right now, and that's Mackowiak and Ozuna will be playing while Pods is out. Maybe that's just Levine making **** up, but we don't have anything else.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Can't agree that we have no idea what Ozzie is thinking about BA.

Ozzie as quoted in the Trib over the weekend: "What happened to Anderson is his fault, we gave him his chance last year." Some further ominous-sounding remarks about how winter ball didn't work out.

I have quietly begun my personal five-step grieving process about BA. I hope I am wrong, and that Ozzie will get over whatever it is.

Link to "Ozzie doesn't feel sorry for BA" story: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070414soxbits,1,5968685.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

kevingrt
04-17-2007, 04:52 PM
What the hell is a "right adductor pull" and how did it come up?

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Ozzie as quoted in the Trib over the weekend: "What happened to Anderson is his fault, we gave him his chance last year." Some further ominous-sounding remarks about how winter ball didn't work out.

I have quietly begun my personal five-step grieving process about BA. I hope I am wrong, and that Ozzie will get over whatever it is.

Link to "Ozzie doesn't feel sorry for BA" story: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070414soxbits,1,5968685.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Anderson was brutal in the first half last year, but he had a decent second half. And lots of players struggle in their first season or two. It just sounds like Ozzie and Kenny want to cut bait really early on him, which if true is somewhat analogous to their views on Brandon McCarthy. I just don't think they've given Anderson a fair shake yet.

Shift
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Darn. I fear this means more Brian Anderson.

KRS1
04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
What the hell is a "right adductor pull" and how did it come up?

I had this injury in high school. It is a muscle that runs down the back of your leg connecting the lower thigh to the back to the hip(the butt). The key thing I remember about this injury was that I couldnt scissor my legs, and had a hard time side-stepping for a while.

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Darn. I fear this means more Brian Anderson.
Much much worse than that. It means more Mack's tremendous defense

Shift
04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Can't deny that, but my suspicions of Anderson stand.

CHISOXFAN13
04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Why aren't people bitching about Uribe being on the bench tonight? We all know Ozzie likes his matchups and he specificially said after the game Sunday that he was going to do something like this with the lineup.

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2007, 05:17 PM

During Ozzie's tenure as manager, this is the first time I've ever really been mad at the guy.

If he's really this down on BA (which appears pretty obvious at this point), why don't they just cut him, since obviously he's a terrible player?

In all of the symbols (smily faces, etc.) that we have here, we need to find one of Ozzie cutting off his nose to spite his face.

oeo
04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Why aren't people bitching about Uribe being on the bench tonight? We all know Ozzie likes his matchups and he specificially said after the game Sunday that he was going to do something like this with the lineup.
Probably because Uribe starts everyday and Brian doesn't. :dunno:

jenn2080
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Anderson may or not be a decent Major League player, so putting him in the lineup is no guarantee that he'll produce. But, sheesh, shouldn't you actually give him a chance? Especially over Mackowiak, who has proven to be a real butcher in crucial games? Anderson has the upside to be a full-time starting outfielder, and I don't think you can say the same for Ozuna or Mack.

Agreed. Brian Anderson was not competing for golden gloves or batting titles last year, but he proved that he has some solid defense. Offensively he made me cringe sometimes. He showed in the second half he had potential to kick some ass at the plate. The only way he is going to get his bat going is to play. Getting splinters in his ass is not going to help him improve. You might as well send him down to the minors where he can play.

Martinigirl
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
If Ozzie has a problem with Brian, which seems to be the case, and refuses to play him, instead choosing to start a butcher in the outfield, than we should just trade BA. I like Brian, I think he is a truly talented centerfielder, and I would hate to see him leave, but if Ozzie is not going to play him, why waste the space on our team?

Under no circumstances do I believe Mack is a better choice to start in the outfield. And for all those who say we need his offense, how many games did he cost us last year with his defense vs. how many games did his bat win us? He cost us far more than he saved.

soxfan43
04-17-2007, 05:29 PM
This is the first game since Pods is on the DL. Mack hasn't been playing much either, he needs his ABs. Anderson will get his share of ABs during the stretch as well. Let's relax here.

Grzegorz
04-17-2007, 05:50 PM
It just sounds like Ozzie and Kenny want to cut bait really early on him, which if true is somewhat analogous to their views on Brandon McCarthy. I just don't think they've given Anderson a fair shake yet.

By cut bait I take it to mean they're done with him. Well, if that is the case they missed an opportunity to trade him (as KW did with McCarthy).

Some one else said it in another post; Mackowiak hasn't swung the bat much this year either. He needs at bats too. The first thirty games will tell the story; if Anderson is not seeing much time then they should send him to the minors for at bats.

Why waste his talent? If he's burned bridges then maybe current management should trade him.

Ozzie better worry about more than BA; he'd better get to the playoffs.

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I'll point to my sig.

If the White Sox don't want to play him or use him, then trade him or release him. I've been an Anderson follower for years now and to see him waste away on a bench because of a bad first half of his rookie season is a complete joke.

I love Ozzie for winning us the World Series, but eventually his stubborness will be his doom.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Perhaps part of the reason for the latest situation with BA can be traced to something that happened Friday night before the game with the Indians.

According to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune, a Sox coach was surprised when he found two "young" players watching a TV show instead of watching tape of the Cleveland starter before the game.

I checked with an acquaintance who is one of the beat writers covering the Sox and they told me that one of the two "young" players was Anderson.

Take it for what it may be worth to you.

Lip

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Why do you post here, if not to second guess the manager, GM, and ownership? In my opinion that is the whole point of this site. Otherwise all we are doing is posting happy or sad smiley faces.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2007, 06:04 PM
There's apparently a report from ABC Channel 7 that Podsednik slipped and fell in the weight room yesterday.

Lip

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Why do you post here, if not to second guess the manager, GM, and ownership? In my opinion that is the whole point of this site. Otherwise all we are doing is posting happy or sad smiley faces.

Agreed. People are also so critical of those who are critical... this is a fan forum. Are we suppose to be North side lemmings who don't voice our opinion? This is an opinion-based fan forum. If we don't have opinions ever thread becomes "We won, awesome" "Oh we lost, we'll go get them next time" "Hey we're 66-100, but the beers great!"

There's apparently a report from ABC Channel 7 that Podsednik slipped and fell in the weight room yesterday.

Lip

Haha oh god. Well now we have no ammo on Wood for stupid injuries.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:05 PM
If Ozzie has a problem with Brian, which seems to be the case, and refuses to play him, instead choosing to start a butcher in the outfield, than we should just trade BA. I like Brian, I think he is a truly talented centerfielder, and I would hate to see him leave, but if Ozzie is not going to play him, why waste the space on our team?

Under no circumstances do I believe Mack is a better choice to start in the outfield. And for all those who say we need his offense, how many games did he cost us last year with his defense vs. how many games did his bat win us? He cost us far more than he saved.

Anderson has no trade value. I believe they tried to trade him at the end of spring training in order to make room on the roster for Perez. They found no takers.

cheeses_h_rice
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM

Lip

Hard to imagine a slip & fall being that serious. Hopefully it's just a minor pull and that 15 days on the DL is all it's going to take.

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Anderson has no trade value. I believe they tried to trade him at the end of spring training in order to make room on the roster for Perez. They found no takers.

There is value, no player in the majors is untradeable. It depends on asking price. You're telling me a team desperate for OFers wouldn't give up a AA catcher or something for Anderson, give me a break.

soxinem1
04-17-2007, 06:09 PM
BA's been getting f***ed over all season so far, might as well keep it going, right Ozzie? :angry:

Mackowiak has pretty much hit a peak on how much he will produce, while Erstad has had one good AB in a week. BA can be a star, and Ozzie just continues to screw him over.

God forbid if BA goes on a tear and makes Guillen look like an ass. It's not like Erstad is tearing the cover off the ball.

Whatever happened to letting your young players develop, especially if an opening is made for them? Might as well trade him if he's going to sit and do nothing.

Ozzie will probably make Erstad the lead-off hitter once is avg slides to .150..............

We should start a rally cry:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:bVNQq469OoGKxM:http://www.lennon.pl/lennon.jpeg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lennon.pl/lennon.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.lennon.pl/&h=388&w=390&sz=17&hl=en&start=33&um=1&tbnid=bVNQq469OoGKxM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohn%2Blennon%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D2 0%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DDAUS,DAU S:2006-08,DAUS:en%26sa%3DN)

'All we are saying........ is give BA a chance.......
All we are saying..........is give BA a chance........

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Whatever happened to letting your young players develop, especially if an opening is made for them? Might as well trade him if he's going to sit and do nothing.

Unfortunately, the White Sox don't have much of a track record when it comes to actually developing players.

We currently have ONE guy in our lineup that was developed through our organization - Joe Crede.

Gee, he sucked for the better part of 4 years and we still gave him chance after chance, would've been nice if he ever became a productive player.

balke
04-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Anderson's going to have to earn his spot. Ozzie's gonna have to take his lumps everytime Mack or Erstad Juuuuuuuust miss a catch in the outfield.

I definitely want Pods on the team, but this should be interesting if Anderson gets more at-bats overall. If he can swing the bat and play some D, the Sox might find themselves with Anderson in CF and Erstad in LF, which defensively would make us as solid as possible. I was getting pretty tired of watchin Indian hitters and Minnesota batters aim for LF whenever someone was on base. Pods has no arm, and the entire league knows it. Cost us at least one game.

(Note: I do realize Pods has been doing extremely well at the plate and on the basepaths, which is why he was more valuable in LF this whole time. Let me also add, his efforts have been wasted a lot with this offense the way the hitters behind him have been handling having him on base).

The Immigrant
04-17-2007, 06:13 PM

*****. If they wanted to make room for Perez so badly, they could have just sent BA to Charlotte.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
There is value, no player in the majors is untradeable. It depends on asking price. You're telling me a team desperate for OFers wouldn't give up a AA catcher or something for Anderson, give me a break.

I can only think of one team that is desperate for outfielders right now, and that would be the Chicago White Sox.

You're willing to deal the prized BA for an AA catcher? Interesting.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
*****. If they wanted to make room for Perez so badly, they could have just sent BA to Charlotte.

And they should have.

balke
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM

I liked how Perez was doing, but did we really need another slug on the basepaths when we can just as easily slide erstad at 1st and put Anderson in CF? Or even Dye at 1st as they experimented last season.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, the White Sox don't have much of a track record when it comes to actually developing players.

We currently have ONE guy in our lineup that was developed through our organization - Joe Crede.

Gee, he sucked for the better part of 4 years and we still gave him chance after chance, would've been nice if he ever became a productive player.

What does Joe Crede have to do with Brian Anderson?

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I can only think of one team that is desperate for outfielders right now, and that would be the Chicago White Sox.

You're willing to deal the prized BA for an AA catcher? Interesting.

Um, I never said that. I said the way the Sox have treated BA's value, he's about worth that at this point.

And there are plenty of teams desperate for OFers. Toronto just lost Reed Johnson for a good portion of the season and would love to have a 4th OF on board. Washington would no doubt take on another OF.

What does Joe Crede have to do with Brian Anderson?

2003: 151 games, 536 AB, 19 HR, 75 RBI, .261/.308/.433
2004: 144 games, 490 AB, 21 HR, 69 RBI, .239/.299/.418
2005: 132 games, 432 AB, 22 HR, 62 RBI, .252/.303/.454

BA's number projected out to Crede's ABs (using 2003)
2006: 17 HR, 110 RBI

They are related because Joe Crede sucked for his first 3-4 full years in the big leagues with limited at-bats his first full season. However, day in and day out he was in the lineup. Why? Because he was a great defender and he lit up the Sox minor leagues (gee, sounds familiar). Finally it all clicked with Crede last year and in the 2005 playoffs and we now have one of the most productive 3B in the league. That's what BA has to do with Crede.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I liked how Perez was doing, but did we really need another slug on the basepaths when we can just as easily slide erstad at 1st and put Anderson in CF?

Yes, we needed Perez. We have a pretty good bench, but do you know what element we are missing on our bench? We're missing a right-handed bat with some pop who can help us against left-handed pitching. I thought Perez was that guy. He had a good spring. I was disappointed when the Sox moved in a different direction.

A lot of people here gripe about Thome's struggles against lefties, and that argument is not completely without merit. Perez would be a perfect DH against a guy like CC Sabathia.

balke
04-17-2007, 06:20 PM
And they should have.

Who would they replace him with? I wouldn't have minded Logan coming up, but we've done well enough with our relievers so far. I'll take a solid defensive CFer over more pitching or a dinosaur who's going to be hurting himself everytime he gets an extra base hit.

CLR01
04-17-2007, 06:21 PM

I don't think Ozzie thinks when it comes to Anderson.

It just sounds like Ozzie and Kenny want to cut bait really early on him,

I don't know that I would lump KW into it. I believe he is the only reason Anderson is on this team right now.

If his value is as low as some believe and KW and Ozzie are finished with him, that value would be a AA/AAA scrub. No doubt in my mind a team like the Marlins wouldn't jump on that in a second. If they could find room for him with OF greats like Borchard patroling the field.

soxinem1
04-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I cannot see why Ozzie doesn't just let BA play. The team actually hit better with him in the line up last year. His confidence must be for **it right now.

Even if Erstad ends up hitting .280, how will that make the team better? Is he going to have even 50-60 RBI's with 500+ AB's? I doubt it.

And if Dye duplicates his 2006 stats, the White Sox will still have one of the most unproductive OF's in MLB if the lineup stays as it is.

Just two years ago BA was hyped to the max, and lauded for stepping in when Pods was hurt. Now about 300 AB's later he just sits..... and sits...... and sits........ why? Mackowiak or Ozuna will never be regulars or key building blocks of future White Sox teams.

Let BA play!!!!!!

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Um, I never said that. I said the way the Sox have treated BA's value, he's about worth that at this point.

And there are plenty of teams desperate for OFers. Toronto just lost Reed Johnson for a good portion of the season and would love to have a 4th OF on board. Washington would no doubt take on another OF.

Toronto has Wells and Rios. They only have to mix-and-match with one spot until Johnson returns. Desperate? I doubt it.

Washington? Are the Nationals still a big-league team? Why trade an AAA player for other AAA players?

balke
04-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty on the fence about Erstad right now. I like that he is willing to give himself up to move the runner along, and he runs out every hit. I don't like the swings he is taking when Pods is trying to steal a base. And I hate how even Hawk knows he just can't hit a pitcher, and you see him go in the batters box and get completely owned by that pitcher. Right now, I think he's a better option than BA, until BA can prove he will hit for the Sox. That'll take time, and even then BA isn't a #2 and Iguchi is slumping... so Erstad is pretty much a lock.

The Immigrant
I liked how Perez was doing, but did we really need another slug on the basepaths when we can just as easily slide erstad at 1st and put Anderson in CF? Or even Dye at 1st as they experimented last season.

We probably could have used his bat against the likes of Santana and Sabathia. Right now all we can do is pray for rain when either of those two faces us. In my ideal lineup against LHP he would simply replace Thome as the DH, and I can't imagine Perez is much more of a slug on the basepaths.

santo=dorf
:?:
Prove it.

If they really wanted Anderson off the roster, they would've sent him down.

I'm guessing they were trying to move Mack.

Martinigirl
04-17-2007, 06:26 PM
I can't help but find it interesting that Brian Anderson is such a polarizing topic on this board. Either you like him and think he deserves a chance or you think not only does he not belong on the Sox, but no other team in major league baseball wants him either. I fall in the first group and I have a really, really hard time believing there are no teams that want a young player that plays really strong defense.

But at this point, I think BA is like talking politics, either you agree or you don't and there is no changing the mind of the person who disagrees with you.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Who would they replace him with? I wouldn't have minded Logan coming up, but we've done well enough with our relievers so far. I'll take a solid defensive CFer over more pitching or a dinosaur who's going to be hurting himself everytime he gets an extra base hit.

But how much playing time is going to be available for a good-field, no-hit CF? That's the whole point of this argument. Now that Pods is hurt, the team needs BA to contribute. But coming into the year, with both Pods and Erstad healthy, I don't think it made any sense to keep BA on the club.

BTW, Mackowiak has the exact same number of ABs as Anderson so far this year, and he's made one fewer start. Is Ozzie screwing Mackowiak out of playing time too?

oeo
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
And they should have.

Perez was taken out of two games with injuries. I'd be willing to bet that injury risk scared the Sox away.

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Is Ozzie screwing Mackowiak out of playing time too?
Mack is a career bench player.
Anderson is a developing player who can contribute as a full time player.

They don't compare at all.

FedEx227
BTW, Mackowiak has the exact same number of ABs as Anderson so far this year, and he's made one fewer start. Is Ozzie screwing Mackowiak out of playing time too?

Why do you insist on being stubborn?

Mackowiak was brought to the team as a reserve UTIL player. We didn't spend 4-5 years developing Mackowiak. That's the difference between prospects and 30-something UTIL players. That's like saying the Devil Rays are squeezing playing time out of Damian Rolls to play Delmon Young.

JB98
Prove it.

I think Ozzie wanted Anderson off the roster. He wanted to keep a 12th pitcher, but KW disagreed.

Ozzie said they tried to make a trade to make room for Perez. Well, who do you suppose they tried to trade? Certainly not Cintron and certainly not Ozuna. That leaves Mack and BA. Mack is a left-handed stick with some pop and big-league experience at five different positions. If they really wanted to trade Mack, some NL team would snap him up in a heartbeat. To me, by process of elimination, the only possible player they could have tried and failed to trade is BA.

sox1970
Prove it.

Before the season, I was wondering where the AB's were going to come from for Mackowiak. Now I think he'll stick around, and when Pods comes off the DL, Anderson will get sent down.

The way the starters are getting their pitch counts around 100 by the 5th inning makes me like this move to bring a third lefty up. Logan should be better this time around.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Why do you insist on being stubborn?

Mackowiak was brought to the team as a reserve UTIL player. We didn't spend 4-5 years developing Mackowiak. That's the difference between prospects and 30-something UTIL players. That's like saying the Devil Rays are squeezing playing time out of Damian Rolls to play Delmon Young.

Why shouldn't I be stubborn? I hear all the time of Ozzie's vendetta against BA, and wild accusations are made against Ozzie without proof. I think it's ridiculous, and I'm digging in my heels.

If I had my way, BA would have started the season in triple-A, and he would have been recalled today as the replacement for Pods.

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I think Ozzie wanted Anderson off the roster. He wanted to keep a 12th pitcher, but KW disagreed.

Ozzie said they tried to make a trade to make room for Perez. Well, who do you suppose they tried to trade? Certainly not Cintron and certainly not Ozuna. That leaves Mack and BA. Mack is a left-handed stick with some pop and big-league experience at five different positions. If they really wanted to trade Mack, some NL team would snap him up in a heartbeat. To me, by process of elimination, the only possible player they could have tried and failed to trade is BA.
If they want to create a roster spot by trade (just like they said) why would they move a player with options?

Seriously.

Defensively Mack is only serviceable in the corner OF spots, so I don't care how many positions he has experience at. Steve Lyons had experience in 9 different spots in one game.

CLR01
04-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Late inning defensive replacement
Platoon player vs. lefties
Insurance against Podsednik or Erstad injury

Anything else we need to "wait and see" on?

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Why shouldn't I be stubborn? I hear all the time of Ozzie's vendetta against BA, and wild accusations are made against Ozzie without proof. I think it's ridiculous, and I'm digging in my heels.

What more proof do you need then the lack of at-bats he recieved in the 2nd half of last season, this entire season and the comments made in the offseason about him/McCarthy "McCarthy picked the wrong guy to be friends with?"... now we can add in what've we've see happen today with the lineup.

If you want to play the proof game, then whats the proof that BA had zero trade value? Where did you hear that not one major league team was in need of a serviceable young outfielder?

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM

I think they do plan to play Anderson against lefties. They started him against Kennedy and Sabathia.

Martinigirl
04-17-2007, 06:42 PM

My own personal belief, based solely on what I have read and trying to find the logic behind what has happened is Ozzie didn't want BA on the team and KW did. But just because he is on the team, doesn't mean Ozzie has to play him, which is what we are seeing now.

Mack is a career bench player.
Anderson is a developing player who can contribute as a full time player.

I completely agree with this statement, which is exactly why I have believed since last year, when Ozzie continually and inexplicably started Mack in center, that Ozzie has a personality conflict with BA and this conflict has cost us games.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:42 PM
What more proof do you need then the lack of at-bats he recieved in the 2nd half of last season, this entire season and the comments made in the offseason about him/McCarthy "McCarthy picked the wrong guy to be friends with?"... now we can add in what've we've see happen today with the lineup.

If you want to play the proof game, then whats the proof that BA had zero trade value? Where did you hear that not one major league team was in need of a serviceable young outfielder?

McCarthy picked the wrong guy to be friends with. To me, that's proof that BA is not taking his career seriously enough. Brandon too. A lot of people here refuse to believe there are very good reasons why BA is not playing everyday. They would rather just throw stones at Ozzie.

There are plenty of ridiculous statements being thrown around on this topic. Why the hell shouldn't I join the party and take the opposite argument?

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:44 PM

I'd like to hear JB98 explain how BA had "zero" trade value when it was separately reported the Marlins and Rangers were interested in him.

Guillen said it wouldn't matter how Brian hit, and he would get playing time. Then after spring training after being a better player than grinderstad, Guillen said he didn't hit well enough to warrant a starting role. :rolleyes:

CLR01
04-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I think they do plan to play Anderson against lefties. They started him against Kennedy and Sabathia.

Sox have played against 5 left handed starters so far and BA has started 2 of them. Forgive me if I am not convinced.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
According to Comcast Sports Chicago, Pods was hurt yesterday when his foot slipped out from him while working out (don't know if it was in the weight room or while running.)

MRI shows no tear but a considerable strain, listed as between moderate and severe. He is in pain and there is no time table for his return.

Williams was quoted as saying he was sure Pods was frustrated by this (as was he) because he felt he was focused and was going to have a good year.

Lip

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:50 PM
I'd like to hear JB98 explain how BA had "zero" trade value when it was separately reported the Marlins and Rangers were interested in him.

Guillen said it wouldn't matter how Brian hit, and he would get playing time. Then after spring training after being a better player than grinderstad, Guillen said he didn't hit well enough to warrant a starting role. :rolleyes:

After all, players who hit well in spring training always hit great in the regular season. Anderson had a good spring in 2006. At one point, I was actually optimistic about him. How did that work out?

Since Brian is supposedly such a valued commodity, I'll say a prayer tonight that he actually does get traded. Then your precious little puppy dog will finally be "free," and I'll be proven wrong. :rolleyes:

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:50 PM

No dude, didn't you hear him. No team is in need of OFers except for us. The Marlins are perfectly content with Alejandro De Aza and Cody Ross as their centerfielders. While the Rangers couldn't possibly add BA to the already crowded outfield of Nelson Cruz, Kenny Lofton and Brad Wilkerson.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
No dude, didn't you hear him. No team is in need of OFers except for us. The Marlins are perfectly content with Alejandro De Aza and Cody Ross as their centerfielders. While the Rangers couldn't possibly add BA to the already crowded outfield of Nelson Cruz, Kenny Lofton and Brad Wilkerson.

BA is better than those players how?

balke
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM

When I make an argument for Brian being screwed out of playing time I'll respond to that. So far that hasn't happened.

I think Part of Perez not being on the Sox right now is that he wasn't healthy enough to play DH coming out of ST. He pulled his hammy or whatever, and I think he was more hurt from that than the Sox were letting on.

I think BA made the team cause Ozzie wanted more OF depth than DH depth, I think he made the right choice.

I honestly don't think having Perez would have helped us beat Santana or Sabathia. Having Toby Hall healthy would've been much more beneficial.

UserNameBlank

I can't wait to watch Erstad as the leadoff man day in and day out...

The oddest thing about this whole mess is the fact that Dye could very well be gone after this year, Pods probably as well, and Erstad could be pretty much nonexistant. As it looks now, the Sox are going to have to start probably 2 of Anderson/Sweeney/Fields/Owens already, so why not at least see if Brian can play this year?

I don't get this. Brian = our CF of the future. We have no one else. PLAY HIM!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
I nominate Brian Anderson as WSI's official new D'Angelo Jimenez.

:cool:

CLR01
04-17-2007, 06:54 PM
We haven't had a good BA discussion in 24+ hours. It was getting a little dull here.

Keep it up folks. :smile:

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:54 PM
After all, players who hit well in spring training always hit great in the regular season. Anderson had a good spring in 2006. At one point, I was actually optimistic about him. How did that work out?

Since Brian is supposedly such a valued commodity, I'll say a prayer tonight that he actually does get traded. Then your precious little puppy dog will finally be "free," and I'll be proven wrong. :rolleyes:
That's not my point. Erstad had an OK spring training, but I thought he was going to suck for the 2007 season.

I was showing how Ozzie was a hypocrite.

Why get so personal just because I counter your false claims with what was reported?:?:

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM
BA is better than those players how?

You can't be serious?

Alejandro De Aza hasn't played above Double A at any point before this season.

As far as his minor league numbers averages: .266/.355/.365
Anderson's: .306/.375/.486

Add in the fact that De Aza has absolutely nothing besides blazing speed, zero power, with home run totals of 4 in A ball. While Anderson has had 14-16 in fewer at-bats at higher levels, while also picking up respectable steal numbers.

voodoochile

Yeah, I think you are wrong about the Danks/McCarthy debate being the new Choice/Manos. I think it's BA/DE/Mack that is going to really bring the nuts out of the woodwork...

No offense to you nuts out there.

FWIW, I hope and expect BA to be given more PT in the next few weeks.

balke

Do you think we could trade for Jimenez? /too lazy to teal.

balke
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I think you are wrong about the Danks/McCarthy debate being the new Choice/Manos. I think it's BA/DE/Mack that is going to really bring the nuts out of the woodwork...

That's basically all you can do. He'll get his PT, its up to him to do something with it. So far in the regular season I've seen one good rip for a flyout against C.C. the other day, and that's it. He's gotta get that determination that Crede had if he's gonna make it ever as a full-time player for the Sox.

Scottiehaswheels
04-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't get this. Brian = our CF of the future. We have no one else. PLAY HIM!!!!I'm really starting to believe our outfield of the future will have a #51 and quite possibly a #25 in '08... Along with a guy like Sweeney...

cws05champ
04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Toronto has Wells and Rios. They only have to mix-and-match with one spot until Johnson returns. Desperate? I doubt it.

Washington? Are the Nationals still a big-league team? Why trade an AAA player for other AAA players?

Toronto just called up Adam Lind, who can flat out rake as well.

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Toronto just called up Adam Lind, who can flat out rake as well.

Indeed. Unfortunately they only have three outfielders on their 40-man roster. That's not a particularly good thing.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-17-2007, 08:46 PM

OK, so this is consistent with your position right up to last week, as I understood it: calm down all FOBA, there is no reason to believe that Ozzie dislikes him or won't get him playing time.

McCarthy picked the wrong guy to be friends with. To me, that's proof that BA is not taking his career seriously enough. Brandon too. A lot of people here refuse to believe there are very good reasons why BA is not playing everyday. They would rather just throw stones at Ozzie.

So now Ozzie may actually dislike BA, and won't play him, but he has his reasons. That's a little different, no? I agree that Ozzie knows more than we do about it. It's still a shift in perspective -- with Pods on the DL each non-playing of BA raises the obvious question, and not just to the FOBA but to all the sports reporters.

And how is quoting Ozzie's public comments on the topic throwing stones?

None taken.:D: I hope you are right, that fits in nicely with my denial stage.

HotelWhiteSox
04-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Damn. I heard it late on a Score update, as a side note after 10 minutes on both the Cubs and then Sosa :\

Fitting that BA didn't get the start tonight, the whole thing is laughable at this point. He'll get increased playing time (I think? :\), but at this point I'm convinced that if they brought up Sweeney/Fields they'd get more PT

russ99
04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
According to Comcast Sports Chicago, Pods was hurt yesterday when his foot slipped out from him while working out (don't know if it was in the weight room or while running.)

MRI shows no tear but a considerable strain, listed as between moderate and severe. He is in pain and there is no time table for his return.

Williams was quoted as saying he was sure Pods was frustrated by this (as was he) because he felt he was focused and was going to have a good year.

Lip

Aw, man, that's a shame. Get well soon, Pods. I hope he's back to full strength before the break and can give the Sox a good second half. Pods needs some of Toby Hall's magic health potion...

Also, if Brian can hit, he should start in center. I could care less about Ozzie's bias and the "grinder"/ Erstad haters. The offense is so bad right now, that it has to come down to whoever hits - plays.

If I were Greg Walker, I'd do whatever it takes to get these guys on track, since this team-wide slump could end up costing him his job. Is Charlie Lau available?

Tragg
04-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Anderson probably does have low value now, so why in the world trade him? What's the point of that? Selling low is a ticket to 70 wins (hello, Corey Patterson).

I don't know if he'll be any good, but he can play the best outfield D on the team right now and he's no worse than what we're seeing out there offensively right now. It's not like we have a better alternative.

And if not him, are Sweeney or Owens close to ready for a ML shot?

soxinem1
04-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Do you think we could trade for Jimenez? /too lazy to teal.

No, but I could see a deal for Alex Sanchez in our future........

spiffie
04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
You can't be serious?

Alejandro De Aza hasn't played above Double A at any point before this season.

As far as his minor league numbers averages: .266/.355/.365
Anderson's: .306/.375/.486

Add in the fact that De Aza has absolutely nothing besides blazing speed, zero power, with home run totals of 4 in A ball. While Anderson has had 14-16 in fewer at-bats at higher levels, while also picking up respectable steal numbers.
And yet somehow they haven't come begging us to give them Anderson. Maybe someone in the Marlins organization has a grudge against him too. Or maybe, as Ozzie was a former coach there, he's fed them info about what a malcontent BA is.

TomBradley72
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I would have preferred to see Terrero (.357-4-8 in 28 ABs for Charlotte) or Owens (.279, 7/9 SBs in 11 games) instead of Logan. I'd like Terrero as another RH bat against lefties or Owens for a LH bat against righties.Not sure if we really need Logan more than we need some help generating runs.

FedEx227
04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
And yet somehow they haven't come begging us to give them Anderson. Maybe someone in the Marlins organization has a grudge against him too. Or maybe, as Ozzie was a former coach there, he's fed them info about what a malcontent BA is.

Yes, because you traced all of Williams' calls in the past 4 months.

spiffie
04-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, because you traced all of Williams' calls in the past 4 months.
Okay, fair enough, let me please rephrase:

Somehow despite the obvious and overwhelming talent that Anderson has, and the apparent disinterest of the White Sox in using him, no team has been compelled to make KW an offer that would justify getting rid of a barely used player rumored to have committment issues. Even though those teams are playing these outfields you and others scoff at, while a talent of Anderson's magnitude languishes on the bench, a victim of Ozzie's petty grudges and ill-considered grinderphilia.

Kenny Williams has shown no fear in trading away young players if he feels someone is giving him a good deal. Thus far, all 29 other GM's have not been compelled to step up and offer us something that Williams deems fitting. Surely if this talent was so enormous as to make the benching of Anderson the nearly-criminal act you make it out to be, someone would be desperate to claim such a desired piece. But no one yet has done so. Why?

Because we have two unwanted pieces vying for our CF job. We have a guy getting on in years who will be lucky to hit .280, and a guy who was barely able to hit .180 much of last year. This is why the hyperbole about "Free Brian Anderson" and the idea that this is a Brock-for-Broglio level blunder just seems absurd to me. If someone just read this board, they would assume that we are keeping Grady Sizemore on the bench in order to play Erstad.

RowanDye
04-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Somehow despite the obvious and overwhelming talent that Anderson has, and the apparent disinterest of the White Sox in using him, no team has been compelled to make KW an offer that would justify getting rid of a barely used player rumored to have committment issues. Even though those teams are playing these outfields you and others scoff at, while a talent of Anderson's magnitude languishes on the bench, a victim of Ozzie's petty grudges and ill-considered grinderphilia.

Kenny Williams has shown no fear in trading away young players if he feels someone is giving him a good deal. Thus far, all 29 other GM's have not been compelled to step up and offer us something that Williams deems fitting. Surely if this talent was so enormous as to make the benching of Anderson the nearly-criminal act you make it out to be, someone would be desperate to claim such a desired piece. But no one yet has done so. Why?

Because we have two unwanted pieces vying for our CF job. We have a guy getting on in years who will be lucky to hit .280, and a guy who was barely able to hit .180 much of last year. This is why the hyperbole about "Free Brian Anderson" and the idea that this is a Brock-for-Broglio level blunder just seems absurd to me. If someone just read this board, they would assume that we are keeping Grady Sizemore on the bench in order to play Erstad.

To justify giving Erstad a starting spot he would need to perform at or above his career averages.

So far this season he is not hitting, but I do think he deserves a little more time.

At some point the prospect of Erstad possibly being a serviceable CF is outweighed by the prospect that is Brian Anderson.

If it's up to you, we'll never really know what type of player Anderson can be.

Why does he only have 8 AB after showing signs of improvement in the second half of last year and a having decent spring training?

champagne030
04-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Or nobody has offered a good deal. Possible the Marlins are trying to peddle us Jorge Julio for Anderson or Boston is trying to dump Coco Crisp on us. And the reason they could be low-balling us is the fact that they think the Sox have totally soured on him. Ozzie has personal issues with him, but KW is still high on him or he would not have made the MLB club this spring.

FedEx227
04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't see why if MLBtraderumors.com or Jayson Stark doesn't say Anderson had a proposed deal doesn't mean it's happen. I'm almost certain every MLB GM has had talks for just about every single one of their players.

But I'm not going to get into a petty argument, I'm just sick of the White Sox being the worst prospect development team in the league.

AZChiSoxFan
04-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Great post. this really sums it up. In case anyone didn't know this already, it's become obvious that BA just isn't going to see any real playing time this year.

PaulDrake
04-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Lip It sounds to me like he has a structural deficit and we can expect this to keep happening. Of course I hope I'm wrong. I like Pods.