PDA

View Full Version : Will the Sox stick with this outfield for the entire season ?

White Sox Randy
04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Just wondering what others think. Will the Sox play the whole season with 2 outfielders that can't hit ?

Any chance the Sox will acquire a banger at either spot before the trade deadline or is it just gonna be the weaklings all year ?

rdwj
04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Which two can't hit?

BainesHOF
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Chill out. The season just started.

Scottiehaswheels
04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Just wondering what others think. Will the Sox play the whole season with 2 outfielders that can't hit ?

Any chance the Sox will acquire a banger at either spot before the trade deadline or is it just gonna be the weaklings all year ?Will we constantly have to listen to you bitch and moan that we're not the goddamn Yankees? Just wondering? I mean last I checked this place is called WHITE Sox Interactive. Not WHINER Sox Interactive... If you want to say the OF ain't hitting be sure to mention our DH, C, 1B, 2B, 3B cuz last I checked they ain't doing so hot either but you know what, its way to early to be complaining.

oeo
04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Which two can't hit?

Dye and Erstad, I guess. :dunno:

Yep, we're going to trade Dye and bring Sweeney up.

soxfan13
04-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Guess you can throw Pods into the cant hit category either:wink:

08THEBIGHURT
04-17-2007, 02:08 PM
i like the outfield of pods, erstad & dye...i think erstad will perform better with the bat than anderson would BUT i prefer brians glove....give it time...dyes bat will awaken...all is well in the home of baseball

soxfanatlanta
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Ask me that question in May. Until then, eat churros; you'll feel as right as rain.

IlliniSox4Life
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I don't get the two that can't hit?

And why would we need a banger? Did you forget we lead the league in home runs last year, Randy?

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Will we constantly have to listen to you bitch and moan that we're not the goddamn Yankees? Just wondering? I mean last I checked this place is called WHITE Sox Interactive. Not WHINER Sox Interactive... If you want to say the OF ain't hitting be sure to mention our DH, C, 1B, 2B, 3B cuz last I checked they ain't doing so hot either but you know what, its way to early to be complaining.

Amen brother! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't get the two that can't hit?

And why would we need a banger? Did you forget we lead the league in home runs last year, Randy?

Don't use logic with Randy, he doesn't really understand the concept of using your damn brain :rolleyes:

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
HR Totals for 2006

Dye 44
Thome 42
Konerko 35
Crede 30
Uribe 21
Iguchi 18
AJ 16

Total minus our leadoff and 9 hole hitter= 206 HR

But solo HR's are so cool!!! :rolleyes:

schmitty9800
04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Don't look at just average please. Dye's OBP is .357, and a homer every five games (his current pace) would mean 30 HRs for him assuming he plays 150 games (about what I expected coming into the season).

Not that a late callup of Sweeney to help out in left wouldn't be a bad idea.

Walkman
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think either Pods or Erstad can hit. Neither will win a gold glove either. Why is that excusable?

Mr.1Dog
04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think either Pods or Erstad can hit. Neither will win a gold glove either. Why is that excusable?

:?: Erstad has won 3 Gold gloves in 2000 & 2002 for the outfield and in 2004 for first base.

In terms of Erstad hitting: Won the Silver Slugger Award in 2000.

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 03:27 PM
:?: Erstad has won 3 Gold gloves in 2000 & 2002 for the outfield and in 2004 for first base.

And injuries will make sure he will never come close to either award again.

Mr.1Dog
04-17-2007, 03:32 PM

In theory you could have said the same thing for Jim Thome last year coming off injuries and he still put up 42 Home runs and 109 RBI last year. Even though he didn't win MVP or any batting awards, those are still impressive numbers.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Brilliant! Yup, I agree with you. Dye certainly isn't a bust, and Erstad is going to prove to all of the South Side that he was a great pickup.

Chill out everyone, the season just started. Our batting is tooooooo good to consider it a bust. Once this team gets their batting consistent, watch out Minny!

Walkman
04-17-2007, 03:40 PM

That's common knowledge and far removed from the Erstad of 2007. Does anyone think he is a gold glove or silver slugger now?

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-17-2007, 03:43 PM
That's common knowledge and far removed from the Erstad of 2007. Does anyone think he is a gold glove or silver slugger now?
Nope, but he certainly has a team spirit. You can argue the same with A-Row back in '05

Walkman
04-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Nope, but he certainly has a team spirit. You can argue the same with A-Row back in '05

A-Row was a young player heading into his prime, not an old one with deteriorating skills. I like Erstad's attitude too, but he's not to be mistaken for a hitter.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
A-Row was a young player heading into his prime, not an old one with deteriorating skills. I like Erstad's attitude too, but he's not to be mistaken for a hitter.
That has nothing to do with bringing a positive attitude to a ballclub. If Erstad can bat better than BA's .220, then I'm content. It's definitely an upgrade over BA offensively.

WS in 05
04-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Any chance the Sox will acquire a banger at either spot before the trade deadline or is it just gonna be the weaklings all year ?

To answer you question:

No.... I forsee pods going to the DL and ozuna/Mack platooning :redneck

PennStater98r
04-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I just wouldn't be WSI without White Sox Randy proclaiming that the sky is falling.

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
That has nothing to do with bringing a positive attitude to a ballclub. If Erstad can bat better than BA's .220, then I'm content. It's definitely an upgrade over BA offensively.

How do you know BA would hit only .220?

And please tell me how having Rob/Pablo in LF instead of BA is better for the team?

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
How do you know BA would hit only .220?

And please tell me how having Rob/Pablo in LF instead of BA is better for the team?

I never said i agreed to that for one. For two, how do you know he's going to breakout, and bat around .250? The answer is...we can't. I'm simply stating however, that Erstad brings a great presence to this ballclub. I'm not stating that BA will be a .220 batter his whole career, he's still young.

Let's utilize Erstad, get the most out of him, then possibly use BA once Erstad retires/loses it. Obviously, Kenny didnt get this guy to sit on a bench all day.

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
In theory you could have said the same thing for Jim Thome last year coming off injuries and he still put up 42 Home runs and 109 RBI last year. Even though he didn't win MVP or any batting awards, those are still impressive numbers.
:?:
Jim Thome's fluke year was 2005.
Erstad's fluke year was 2000.

There's a huge difference and that's why you shouldn't expect grinderstad to perform at that level again.

Esteban Loaiza won 21 games in a season. Kerry Wood struck out 20 guys in a game before.

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Thome was one year removed from his usual outstanding numbers. Erstead was 7 years removed from his.

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM

The Chevy Pride Crew has team spirit. Should they start in center?

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-17-2007, 05:47 PM
The Chevy Pride Crew has team spirit. Should they start in center?
Ugh...Nobody gets my point in these boards.....

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 05:48 PM

Well his current .189 average does not inspire a lot of confidence that he can bat better than Anderson.

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Ugh...Nobody gets my point in these boards.....

I understand your point. I just disagree with it. No amount of team spirit or grinderness can overcome a lack of ability.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I understand your point. I just disagree with it. No amount of team spirit or grinderness can overcome a lack of ability.
It's not like Erstad is completely useless. Let's not make any assumptions (including myself) until this season gets rolling.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Well his current .189 average does not inspire a lot of confidence that he can bat better than Anderson.

No, but his .286 lifetime batting average over an 11-year career does.

TDog
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM

People who were against the Erstad signing insisted he wouldn't be able to produce because he would go down with injuries. And if that does happen, he won't be playing center and the Erstad detractors will be happy. At leas they will have to find something else to complain about. And the Sox will have a problem because Erstad is the type of player they need.

I know people who want to see Anderson starting want to win. But Anderson isn't the player they want him to be.

Erstad is a good center fielder. Anderson is better. Even in 2007, though, Erstad is a much better hitter than Anderson is. It isn't even a question of batting average. Erstad routinely moves runners to help the team to the detriment of his batting average. If more players did that last year, the Sox would have won more games and perhaps made the postseason, despite the poor pitching.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:09 PM
People who were against the Erstad signing insisted he wouldn't be able to produce because he would go down with injuries. And if that does happen, he won't be playing center and the Erstad detractors will be happy. At leas they will have to find something else to complain about. And the Sox will have a problem because Erstad is the type of player they need.

I know people who want to see Anderson starting want to win. But Anderson isn't the player they want him to be.

Erstad is a good center fielder. Anderson is better. Even in 2007, though, Erstad is a much better hitter than Anderson is. It isn't even a question of batting average. Erstad routinely moves runners to help the team to the detriment of his batting average. If more players did that last year, the Sox would have won more games and perhaps made the postseason, despite the poor pitching.

Erstad can bunt and steal bases. Even if he doesn't hit for high average, he can add those two things to the offense. I was hoping BA would develop those skills, but I've yet to see it.

BA has proven he can handle his position defensively. The problem is that he is yet to show that he can contribute to the offense consistently in any way, shape or fashion.

mjmcend
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM

I never said he would go down with injuries, just that his past injuries/ age will make it unlikely that he will ever produce at high levels again.

What about Anderson's 7 AB make it obvious to you that Anderson is markedly worse than Erstad?

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I wonder if there are any Ranger fans who think Sosa can contribute this year because he has a career .274 average.

again, grinderstad's career BA is SPIKED by an abnormal 2000.

He has batted .286 or above 4 times in his 11 year career. Since he became injury prone, he has only matched that mark once (4 years) and doesn't look to hit that mark this year either.

Balsa Wood has a career 3.68 ERA.

JB98
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I wonder if there are any Ranger fans who think Sosa can contribute this year because he has a career .274 average.

again, grinderstad's career BA is SPIKED by an abnormal 2000.

He has batted .286 or above 4 times in his 11 year career. Since he became injury prone, he has only matched that mark once (4 years) and doesn't look to hit that mark this year either.

Balsa Wood has a career 3.68 ERA.

Comparing someone who is 32 to someone who is 38. That's rich.

Scottiehaswheels
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
You mean their current RBI leader? Playing in that ballpark? In that weather? yeah I bet there are a ton of Ranger fans that think he can contribute...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2007, 06:55 PM

I'm pretty sure the Sox will keep doing things for no reason other than to piss you off. Not that it takes any reason at all, of course...

:cool:

CLR01
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Word is that if Mack or Ozuna disappoint then the Sox are planning on playing the rest of the season with 2 outfielders period.

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Comparing someone who is 32 to someone who is 38. That's rich.
They're both washed up.

Kerry Wood is younger than grinderstad too. How come we can't just ignore his current results while battling injuries and just look at his career numbers?

santo=dorf
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
You mean their current RBI leader?
Yes, the same Sosa who has a .175 batting average and .195 OBP.

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Word is that if Mack or Ozuna disappoint then the Sox are planning on playing the rest of the season with 2 outfielders period.

Thank god! Maybe we can put a grinder rules poster in LF?

CLR01
04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank god! Maybe we can put a grinder rules poster in LF?

Or maybe they can just randomly pick fans out of the stands who have brought their gloves? Scout/Skybox ticket holders get 5 innings, LL 2, UD 1+. :dunno:

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Or maybe they can just randomly pick fans out of the stands who have brought their gloves? Scout/Skybox ticket holders get 5 innings, LL 2, UD 1+. :dunno:

Perfect! Maybe cut the Skybox guys to 4 innings and give some kids up at the Fundamental Deck some PT, maybe 6th-7th inning?

oeo
04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Don't look at just average please. Dye's OBP is .357, and a homer every five games (his current pace) would mean 30 HRs for him assuming he plays 150 games (about what I expected coming into the season).

Not that a late callup of Sweeney to help out in left wouldn't be a bad idea.

If this is in response to my post...I was being sarcastic.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Perfect! Maybe cut the Skybox guys to 4 innings and give some kids up at the Fundamental Deck some PT, maybe 6th-7th inning?

The Fundamentals kids have tremendous potential and it's all being squandered by Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded every single one of them for Sandy Alomar, 500-times over.

Walkman
04-17-2007, 07:17 PM

Put me down as unhappy just because our CF clears .220 this year.

Walkman
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM

And that he beat his lifetime average just once since 2000 does not.

Tragg
04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Ozzie's now batting his .180 hitter at leadoff.

This is a joke.

Thankfully, Ozzie didn't manage like this in 2005.

Put me down for tolerating .220 from a ROOKIE a lot more than lousy hitting from a declining veteran.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Just remember, folks. It's never too early to

PANIC.

:cool:

Walkman
04-17-2007, 11:19 PM
It's not panic, it's paranoia! The minute they signed Erstad I feared that Ozzie would fall in live with him (a la Mac in CF in 2006) and stubbornly trot his worthless carcass out there every day, almost seeming to defy anyone to diagree with him. It's happening that way so far. Putting Ersatd at 1B over the weekend takes the cake.

White Sox Randy
04-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I was at the game last night ! I'm still smiling. That was the best non- World Series game I've ever been at. It was fricking awesome !

But, the Sox still have backup outfielders playing left and center field and are giving up a ton of offense at those 2 positions.

Other teams are killing them there by comparison. Look at the teams the Sox are chasing in the standings; Minnesota, Detroit and Cleveland. Erstad and Pods wouldn't start for any of those teams. It's a joke.

And, the "it's early" response is just plain stupid. Pods and Erstad aren't going to become big hitters at any month of the year. They don't hit. End of story. Pods doesn't even field the position well.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I was at the game last night ! I'm still smiling. That was the best non- World Series game I've ever been at. It was fricking awesome !

But...

Glad to know you took time out from being your usual miserable self to enjoy yesterday's no-hitter.

We're proud of you, Randy!

:roflmao:

oeo
04-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Other teams are killing them there by comparison. Look at the teams the Sox are chasing in the standings; Minnesota, Detroit and Cleveland. Erstad and Pods wouldn't start for any of those teams. It's a joke.

Both Minnesota and Cleveland don't even have everyday starting leftfielders, unless Ron-DL White counts for the Twins when he's healthy (:roflmao:)...

FarWestChicago
04-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Glad to know you took time out from being your usual miserable self to enjoy yesterday's no-hitter.

We're proud of you, Randy!

:roflmao:Rest assured; that "time" was only a moment. :rolling:

WizardsofOzzie
04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Rest assured; that "time" was only a moment. :rolling:
I'm sure he went back to bitching when Buehrle walked Sosa. Something along the lines of "You see what I mean? This team is going nowhere in a hurry!!"

ThomesHomie
04-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Will we constantly have to listen to you bitch and moan that we're not the goddamn Yankees? Just wondering? I mean last I checked this place is called WHITE Sox Interactive. Not WHINER Sox Interactive... If you want to say the OF ain't hitting be sure to mention our DH, C, 1B, 2B, 3B cuz last I checked they ain't doing so hot either but you know what, its way to early to be complaining.

Great response, could not of said it any better.