PDA

View Full Version : 2 Sox on First BA Hot Sheet

rdivaldi
04-17-2007, 09:32 AM
4. Dewon Day, rhp, Double-A Birmingham (White Sox)
Bow to the altar of numbers: 16 K, 5 2/3 innings; now has fastball command to go along with a plus-plus slider.

16. Aaron Cunningham, of, high Class A Winston-Salem (White Sox)
Leadoff hitter with presence hitting .419 with emerging power as a 20-year-old in high Class A.

Personally I'm not too excited about Day as he is going to be 27 this year. We've seen plenty of older closers in Birmingham flop in the majors after throwing up eye-popping stats. Ed Almonte and Jeff Bajenaru come to mind immediately. I would have thrown Egbert, Gonzalez or Lucy ahead of him.

Beautox
04-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm very high on Day, he has a fresh arm, and a ++ slider that sits at a 60 on the scout scale and touches a 70 out of a possible 80. He may never see the white sox pen, but that doesn't mean he wont add value to our system and be a possible trading chip, people like Scott Proctor come to mind, except Day has better stuff.

Its refreshing to see the way the sox have gone about addressing our bullpen for the present(Jenks,MacDougal,Thornton,Aardsma,Masset,Si sco) and future (logan,perez,vasquez,day,long,omogrosso,lujan,rasn er,texeira). The central is an arms race, and the easiest way to stay clear of wasting money is to build a cheap effective ++ pen, just look at what teams like the O's are paying in order to even have sense of decency past the 6th.

As far as Cunningham, its exciting to think about the possibility of having a top flight lead off man by opening day 2009, the jump to AA is going to be critical and i can see him making it mid season if he continues this trend. if he keeps progressing and putting up the numbers i can see KW keeping Podsednik/Erstad till Aaron is ready.

I'm also excited at the progress Donny Lucy (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Donny%2520Lucy&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=455113) has shown with the bat so far this season, the prospect of him being a ML starting catcher isn't out of the realm of possibilities, he has always had the glove and most catchers don't stick at the ML level till around 26/27, Johnny Estrada comes to mind amongst others.

Lastly on an unrelated note: i think even though Kenny likes Anderson he isn't going to fit within this organizations future plans. i could see Brian being shipped off to the braves at the end of the season along with some pitching for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, hes blocked by McCann/Pena at C, and Thorman at 1B. Jones is going to hit the open market this upcoming offseason and they have no one that can replace his glove or come close to some of his power potential. I still think Brian becomes the new Torii Hunter in the very near future, their milb and mlb records are strikingly similar.

Hall and AJ will be out by 08, that would give Saltalamacchia a season and a half at AAA, and by that time most of our position players will have turned over. anyways just my .02

SoxxoS
04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
rdiv-

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/dewon-day.shtml

According to the baseball cube - He didnt start pitching until 22, and only 1 year in college. I would consider his age a lot less of a factor considering this. That being said, does anyone know why he didnt start pitching in college until 22?

Also, it seems as though something "clicked" in 2006 - Not to mention he just doesn't give up home runs - 5 in 119 innings. 10.28 K/9 ratio. All in all, he could just be a late bloomer than could add something to the Sox pen, Espcially if Jenks needs to spend some time on the DL (Speculation).

chaerulez
04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Dewon Day played at Southern, which is where Rickie Weeks went, just some pointless trivia.

I've been trying to find out if Day just didn't play organized ball until he was 22 or he was a position player converted and I can't seem to find any.

rdivaldi
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I've been trying to find out if Day just didn't play organized ball until he was 22 or he was a position player converted and I can't seem to find any.

Dewon played ball at Jackson State, then transferred to Southern. I know he was a two way player, but I can't find any stats for his play at Jackson State.

California Sox
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Remember the hot sheet is more for who's had an eye-popping week than who's going to be a major league star. Day has gotten 17 outs, 16 by strikeout. That's notable.

I'm also encouraged by the start for the middle of the lineup at Kanny. These guys all struggled mightily last year, especially out of the gate, but Gomes, Allen, Carter, and Hernandez are all holding their own.

What's the story on Lucy? Is this just a hot streak, or has he made adjustments which would make this offensive blossoming seem legit? Physically, the guy has always looked like an all star. I remember watching him play at Stanford. Guy just looks like a ballplayer. Hopefully he's putting it together. If he can hit .260 15 65 as a catcher, he has a chance for a long career.

maurice
04-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Almonte:Day = apples:oranges.

Day is a huge dude with a mid-90s FB and a good slider. If he can throw strikes consistently (a big "if"), then he's the real deal. Sounds more like the solid guys in the Sox MLB pen than a borderline MLB reliever.

maurice
04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Lucy thinks that he's broken through offensively and finally adjusted to pro ball. I hope he's right.

PalehosePlanet
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Day is a huge dude with a mid-90s FB and a good slider. If he can throw strikes consistently (a big "if"), then he's the real deal. Sounds more like the solid guys in the Sox MLB pen than a borderline MLB reliever.

I agree 100%, Almonte was/is not in the same league as Day stuff-wise. As far as his age? So what, there are lots of late bloomer set up/closer guys out there.

In fact with a ++ slider I 'd bring him up right now and send Logan down.

rdivaldi
04-23-2007, 10:14 PM

Fine, then how about Bajenaru or Joe Valentine?

Tragg
04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
OT question, but can someone give me a rundown on Ray Liotta? I know he pitched miserably last year, but have seen nothing about him this spring.

Thans.

rdivaldi
04-23-2007, 10:47 PM

I noticed that Day got a write up in BA from Callis a couple of days ago:

"A 26-year-old righthander, Day began his college career at Jackson State before transferring to Southern, where he was a teammate of Rickie Weeks. He came down with tightness and a pinched nerve in his arm that spring, working just 17 innings in 2002. The Blue Jays drafted him in the 26th round that June, then signed him right before the 2003 draft as a fifth-year senior after he regained his health and topped out at 95 mph with his fastball.

Day got off to a good start in the lower levels of the Jays system but succumbed to Tommy John surgery in 2004. He worked just 16 innings in 2005, after which the White Sox stole him with the last pick of the Rule 5 draft (Double-A phase). They did so at the behest of scout Jaymie Bane, who originally signed him while with Toronto.

Finally back at full strength in 2006, Day pitched well enough in high Class A and in the Arizona Fall League that he forced the White Sox to protect him on the 40-man roster. He's no fluke. He's blowing away hitters with a 90-96 mph fastball and a plus 85-88 mph slider.
I think next year is too conservative. Day is probably ready to make a contribution in Chicago's bullpen right now."

Britt Burns
04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Jack Egbert in Birmingham is putting together another nice season. You never hear about him as a prospect, even though his numbers matched up with any Sox pitching prospect last year. He is a little old for AA, but not excessively so, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Charlotte soon, especially if Haeger keeps struggling.

rdivaldi
04-24-2007, 08:30 AM
He is a little old for AA, but not excessively so, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Charlotte soon, especially if Haeger keeps struggling.

23 for AA is right on schedule.

The organization doesn't have much of a history of moving guys between AA and AAA, so I don't think we're going to see any of the Birmingham rotation moved up to Charlotte barring injury.

Randar68
04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Jack Egbert in Birmingham is putting together another nice season. You never hear about him as a prospect,

Wha? :D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70596

maurice
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Fine, then how about Bajenaru or Joe Valentine?

Callis is correct when he says, "[Day is] blowing away hitters with a 90-96 mph fastball and a plus 85-88 mph slider." That's a better FB and a better slider than Baj or Valentine. In terms of stuff, he's much closer to the guys currently in the Sox pen so, if he can consistently throw strikes, he has a much higher upside than "marginal major leaguer."

rdivaldi
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Callis is correct when he says, "[Day is] blowing away hitters with a 90-96 mph fastball and a plus 85-88 mph slider." That's a better FB and a better slider than Baj or Valentine. In terms of stuff, he's much closer to the guys currently in the Sox pen so, if he can consistently throw strikes, he has a much higher upside than "marginal major leaguer."

Well, I guess I'll keep my eyes and ears open. It would be nice to have another powerful right handed reliever in the making in case we have to make some trades. You have to figure that the other 29 teams are drooling over the arms that we have stockpiled.

maurice
04-24-2007, 02:52 PM
You have to figure that the other 29 teams are drooling over the arms that we have stockpiled.

No doubt. Heck, at least one of the other 29 teams wanted each of the guys you mentioned. Sometimes it seems like every MLB team has a bullpen guy who spent developmental time in the Sox org.