PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICAL* Off-Day Inprovments 4.16.07 Thread

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 04:35 PM
We all know the Sox should improve certain things today. What do you think it should be? Defense, offense, ETC.

04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
We all know the Sox should improve certain things today. What do you think it should be? Defense, offense, ETC.

They probably all have the flu and frost bite...spend the day in bed

IlliniSox4Life
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Everyone has something they can improve

jenn2080
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Offense. PATIENCE! Send them to the batting cages :D: Uribe has been more patient at the plate the last 2 games then Dye.

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Offense. PATIENCE! Send them to the batting cages :D: Uribe has been more patient at the plate the last 2 games then Dye.

Good point. Uribe had a patience problem last year. Now, I think, he is leading the team in batting average. Let's hope it spreads to the rest of the players.
:cool:

WizardsofOzzie
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
They need more churros

eriqjaffe
04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.flashreport.org/images/snl_blue_oyster_cowbell.jpg

CLR01
04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Less off days.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Home Run Porch
Archways in the Outfield (sequel to Angels in the Outfield)
Criss Cross Ramps behind scoreboard
Green Seats

Oh, you meant, to the team...my bad. :D:

oeo
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Good point. Uribe had a patience problem last year. Now, I think, he is leading the team in batting average. Let's hope it spreads to the rest of the players.
:cool:

Are you guys a week behind in the season, or what? Dye was the least of our problems in Cleveland. Uribe is now batting .265 after hitting the cover off the ball to start the season.

Podsednik is leading the team in batting average. AJ, Erstad, Paulie, Gooch, Crede are the guys that are awful right now.

AZChiSoxFan
04-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Everyone has something they can improve

:moron

Well, everyone except me!!

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Are you guys a week behind in the season, or what? Dye was the least of our problems in Cleveland. Uribe is now batting .265 after hitting the cover off the ball to start the season.

Podsednik is leading the team in batting average. AJ, Erstad, Paulie, Gooch, Crede are the guys that are awful right now.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking back to the series versus the A's.

JB98
04-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Juggle the lineup. Tomorrow night, try this:

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Crede
Erstad
Uribe

Fuller_Schettman
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
The weather.

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Crede
Erstad
Uribe

So, the 2006 lineup, but instead of Uribe then Anderson, it will be Erstad then Uribe. Nice!!!

JB98
04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
So, the 2006 lineup, but instead of Uribe then Anderson, it will be Erstad then Uribe. Nice!!!

Exactly. The lineup was fine one through seven last year. The pitching failed us. Why not go back to the lineup that has worked in the past? I don't see why they keep trying to turn Iguchi into a power source. We had four guys hit 30-plus HRs last year. Hell, we had two guys exceed 40 HRs. We don't need Tad trying to hit homers. We need him to spray the ball around and hit behind runners like he has in the past. Let Thome, Konerko and JD worry about home runs.

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Exactly. The lineup was fine one through seven last year. The pitching failed us. Why not go back to the lineup that has worked in the past? I don't see why they keep trying to turn Iguchi into a power source. We had four guys hit 30-plus HRs last year. Hell, we had two guys exceed 40 HRs. We don't need Tad trying to hit homers. We need him to spray the ball around and hit behind runners like he has in the past. Let Thome, Konerko and JD worry about home runs.

Soooo good and sooooo true. If I were Ozzie/Kenny/Jerry I would have you as the bench coach. AMAAAZZING!!! This is all true. It was our pitching. Our lineup was VERY effective. Let JD/Thome/Konerko have the big bats. We need those important/clutch at-bats/runs from Iguchi. I think we will get more our of him in the top of the order. Now, what about Erstad? Put him in the 8th spot (An exact switch with Iguchi?)

JB98
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Soooo good and sooooo true. If I were Ozzie/Kenny/Jerry I would have you as the bench coach. AMAAAZZING!!! This is all true. It was our pitching. Our lineup was VERY effective. Let JD/Thome/Konerko have the big bats. We need those important/clutch at-bats/runs from Iguchi. I think we will get more our of him in the top of the order. Now, what about Erstad? Put him in the 8th spot (An exact switch with Iguchi?)

Yes, I'd have Erstad batting eighth. I like the idea of spacing out the four left-handed hitters. Three in a row just makes it too easy for the opposing manager to bring in a left-handed reliever late in the game. In Oakland, our lefties busted that Marshall the A's brought in, but I think that success is going to be more the exception than the rule. We're 1-4 against left-handed starters already this year. We need to find a solution because there sure are a lot of left-handed starters in this division: Santana, Sabathia, Lee, Sowers, Rogers (when healthy), Robertson, Maroth and Perez.

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, I'd have Erstad batting eighth. I like the idea of spacing out the four left-handed hitters. Three in a row just makes it too easy for the opposing manager to bring in a left-handed reliever late in the game. In Oakland, our lefties busted that Marshall the A's brought in, but I think that success is going to be more the exception than the rule. We're 1-4 against left-handed starters already this year. We need to find a solution because there sure are a lot of left-handed starters in this division: Santana, Sabathia, Lee, Sowers, Rogers (when healthy), Robertson, Maroth and Perez.

YEEEEESSSSSS!!! Call the Human Resource department and get a job application!!! The first two we know we will strugle against. We should mix it up in the lineup, so no matter what pitcher is facing us, we we will have the advantage.

JB98
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
YEEEEESSSSSS!!! Call the Human Resource department and get a job application!!! The first two we know we will strugle against. We should mix it up in the lineup, so no matter what pitcher is facing us, we we will have the advantage.

Well, I don't think I'm saying anything Ozzie and his staff don't already know. I'm pretty certain Guillen is already considering a lineup shakeup. Hopefully, they'll see the light and realize this offense functions best with Iguchi batting second.

DickAllen72
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Crede
Erstad
Uribe
That should be the regular lineup throughout the season.

jabrch
04-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Stay the course...

Tragg
04-16-2007, 08:27 PM
LF Pods (Give Rob M and Ozuna some time)
2b Iguchi
RF Dye
DH Thome
1B Konerko
3b Crede
C AJ
SS Uribe
CF Anderson (can Ozuna play some CF to spell him? Pods?). Or if Ozzie's already written him off, package him, and some young pitchers for a real CF. Anderson's 2006 (649 OPS) numbers were better than ERstad's 2006 (605 OPS) numbers and not much worse than Erstand's 2005 (696 ops) numbers. Release Erstad.

Frontman
04-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Crede
Erstad
Uribe

I second that one. Erstad would add some pop to the end of the lineup, and Iguchi did FAR better in the 2 spot last year.

Although, I would say Paulie and Jermaine should switch, as I think Dye is better suited for the 5 spot.

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I second that one. Erstad would add some pop to the end of the lineup, and Iguchi did FAR better in the 2 spot last year.

Although, I would say Paulie and Jermaine should switch, as I think Dye is better suited for the 5 spot.

BEFORE Spring Training started, I told my brother that Erstad should play at the bottem so we can have power in the lower part of the order. Now, I see someone agrees!!! :smile:

JB98
04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
LF Pods (Give Rob M and Ozuna some time)
2b Iguchi
RF Dye
DH Thome
1B Konerko
3b Crede
C AJ
SS Uribe
CF Anderson (can Ozuna play some CF to spell him? Pods?). Or if Ozzie's already written him off, package him, and some young pitchers for a real CF. Anderson's 2006 numbers were better than ERstad's 2006 numbers and not much worse than Erstand's 2005 numbers. Release Erstad

Erstad can steal bases and bunt. On that alone, I'd rather have him than Anderson. But he should be hitting at the bottom of the order.

Jurr
04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Stay the course...
Yup. Something to ponder. In the games that the Sox have had decent weather, they won 2 of 3 (and should have swept) in their house of horrors. The team pitched well, showed some decent variety in their offense, and got the job done.
Let the world get back to normal, and we'll see how this team performs.

JB98
04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Yup. Something to ponder. In the games that the Sox have had decent weather, they won 2 of 3 (and should have swept) in their house of horrors. The team pitched well, showed some decent variety in their offense, and got the job done.
Let the world get back to normal, and we'll see how this team performs.

We've scored only 26 runs in our last nine games. It's a miracle from God that we've won five of them. I really think we need a little shakeup to get things going. No benchings, or anything major like that. Just change the mix a little bit. I don't think it would rock the foundation of the team to flip Iguchi and Erstad.

We've scored one run or less in four of our last seven games. Why wait for the world to "get back to normal"? Conditions are not going to be tropical at USCF the next three nights.

CLR01
04-16-2007, 11:40 PM
BEFORE Spring Training started, I told my brother that Erstad should play at the bottem so we can have power in the lower part of the order. Now, I see someone agrees!!! :smile:

Did your brother bother to tell you that Iguchi adds just as much, if not more, power to the bottom of the order? That said, it looks like everyone (myself included) will get their wish of seeing Gooch move back into the two hole for at least a few games.

With these struggles in mind, Guillen was contemplating a few lineup changes for Tuesday's series opener at home against Texas, after Sunday's loss left the White Sox with a 3-3 record on this six-game road trip.

"I might put Iguchi second and Erstad batting in the sixth or seventh spot, just to get a different feel," Guillen said. "I might go lefty-righty, lefty-righty, lefty-righty all the way to the end. I'm looking for something different and hope it works."
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070415&content_id=1900089&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

oeo
04-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Did your brother bother to tell you that Iguchi adds just as much, if not more, power to the bottom of the order? That said, it looks like everyone (myself included) will get their wish of seeing Gooch move back into the two hole for at least a few games.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070415&content_id=1900089&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Yes...it'll be nice to see someone actually make contact with the ball. I hope Gooch does well so he can stay where he belongs.

Nothing against Erstad, but he needs a couple of days off...he's swinging at total garbage and looking silly because of it.

JB98
04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Yes...it'll be nice to see someone actually make contact with the ball. I hope Gooch does well so he can stay where he belongs.

Nothing against Erstad, but he needs a couple of days off...he's swinging at total garbage and looking silly because of it.

The entire club had a day off today.

oeo
04-16-2007, 11:59 PM
The entire club had a day off today.

Really?

JB98
04-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Really?

Well, you said Erstad needed a day off. He had today off. And last Thursday too. Guys aren't tired right now. It's too early in the season to be tired. They are just sucking. I wouldn't take anyone out of the lineup at this point. Make them play their way out of it. It isn't like we have a hot-hitting solution on our bench to replace Erstad or anyone else.

oeo
04-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Well, you said Erstad needed a day off. He had today off. And last Thursday too. Guys aren't tired right now. It's too early in the season to be tired. They are just sucking. I wouldn't take anyone out of the lineup at this point. Make them play their way out of it. It isn't like we have a hot-hitting solution on our bench to replace Erstad or anyone else.

I didn't say he was too tired...I just think he needs to ride the pine for a game or two and clear his head. I'd imagine sitting on the bench is different than an off day, so give him a day off.

JB98
04-17-2007, 12:46 AM
I didn't say he was too tired...I just think he needs to ride the pine for a game or two and clear his head. I'd imagine sitting on the bench is different than an off day, so give him a day off.

I don't agree with you. By your logic, practically everyone on this team needs to ride the pine for a game or two and clear their heads. You're singling out Erstad for reasons unknown. No fewer than five guys in this everyday lineup look absolutely clueless at the plate right now, and no one is really hot.

Late in the season, guys might need a day to clear their heads. Not in mid-April. If there is mental fatigue on anyone's part right now, we have serious problems. I don't think that's the case.

oeo
04-17-2007, 12:54 AM
I don't agree with you.

I never said you had to...

By your logic, practically everyone on this team needs to ride the pine for a game or two and clear their heads. You're singling out Erstad for reasons unknown. No fewer than five guys in this everyday lineup look absolutely clueless at the plate right now, and no one is really hot.You're right, no one is hot, but Erstad is about the farthest from being hot. He had a good opening series, and since then has been pretty much garbage. If there's any guy that looks like too much **** is going through his head right now, it's Erstad. And I know that AJ, Paulie, and Konerko are all struggling, but Erstad is the one guy that is going up there with a terrible approach every AB. He's swinging at everything...it's frustrating as hell.

Late in the season, guys might need a day to clear their heads. Not in mid-April. If there is mental fatigue on anyone's part right now, we have serious problems. I don't think that's the case.Who said anything about mental fatigue? He's thinking too much...

Maybe all he needed was today off, I don't know. All I know is he's looked more awful than anyone else in the last few games, and that's saying a lot because there have been a lot of ****fests. Hopefully he pulls it together; it was just a suggestion, not a big deal.

Craig Grebeck
04-17-2007, 08:46 AM
So is Erstad going to be bringing the same power that has propelled him to 0 XBH since that homer? Uribe, Pierzynski and Anderson provide more power than Erstad; he's a singles hitter.

Pods/Ozuna
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede
Uribe
Pierzynski
Anderson

It's not great, but it's probably the best option at this point. The only reason I'd platoon Pods is to keep him fresh (not to mention he can't hit lefties) and try to maximize Pablo's ABs.

HomeFish
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Podsednik is getting on base, and Erstad is advancing him decently. It's the guys who are supposed to drive Pods in who aren't doing their job.

That said, Iguchi is absolutely lost in the bottom of the order. That's what Ozzie gets for trying to fix what wasn't broken.

JB98
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I never said you had to...

You're right, no one is hot, but Erstad is about the farthest from being hot. He had a good opening series, and since then has been pretty much garbage. If there's any guy that looks like too much **** is going through his head right now, it's Erstad. And I know that AJ, Paulie, and Konerko are all struggling, but Erstad is the one guy that is going up there with a terrible approach every AB. He's swinging at everything...it's frustrating as hell.

Who said anything about mental fatigue? He's thinking too much...

Maybe all he needed was today off, I don't know. All I know is he's looked more awful than anyone else in the last few games, and that's saying a lot because there have been a lot of ****fests. Hopefully he pulls it together; it was just a suggestion, not a big deal.

Erstad didn't start the final game in Oakland. Thursday was an off day. Yesterday was an off day. I think, if anything, we've had too many off days. Guys need to play, get at-bats and get into a rhythm. I agree that Erstad is swinging at everything. So are Iguchi, Dye and Crede. They aren't comfortable in the box. They aren't seeing ball well. The only way I know to fix that is to play and see more pitches.

JB98
04-17-2007, 01:59 PM
So is Erstad going to be bringing the same power that has propelled him to 0 XBH since that homer? Uribe, Pierzynski and Anderson provide more power than Erstad; he's a singles hitter.

Pods/Ozuna
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede
Uribe
Pierzynski
Anderson

It's not great, but it's probably the best option at this point. The only reason I'd platoon Pods is to keep him fresh (not to mention he can't hit lefties) and try to maximize Pablo's ABs.

Crede has zero XBHs this year. Why not bench him? AJ has one double. Why not bench him? The singling out of Erstad continues.....

JohnTucker0814
04-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Pods/Ozuna
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede
Uribe
Pierzynski
Anderson

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Pods hits left handers pretty darn well. I can recall several base hits...

JB98
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Pods hits left handers pretty darn well. I can recall several base hits...

In 2005, Pods did a pretty damn good job against lefties. Detroit would bring Jamie Walker in to face him, and he'd just slap the ball through the hole for a hit. Last year, I thought he struggled. However, I would add that Pods struggled against everybody last year. I don't think he was healthy. Hopefully, this year will be different. This club needs the 2005 Pods to return.

champagne030
04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
The singling out of Erstad continues.....

Well, Erstad has sucked for years and early this season it doesn't seem like anything has changed. Every other starter, excluding BA, has been average or better as recently as 2005. And BA has youth and upside.

twsoxfan5
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, Erstad has sucked for years and early this season it doesn't seem like anything has changed. Every other starter, excluding BA, has been average or better as recently as 2005. And BA has youth and upside.

Erstad has not sucked for years. He is a career 286 hitter and had a bad year last year due to injuries and although he is not the ideal choice I think he is the best choice for this team right now. BA has an upside b/c at the plate he can't be much worse than he was last year.

oeo
04-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Erstad didn't start the final game in Oakland. Thursday was an off day. Yesterday was an off day. I think, if anything, we've had too many off days. Guys need to play, get at-bats and get into a rhythm. I agree that Erstad is swinging at everything. So are Iguchi, Dye and Crede. They aren't comfortable in the box. They aren't seeing ball well. The only way I know to fix that is to play and see more pitches.

In each of their last 6 games...Iguchi: 4/14, Crede: 4/23...Erstad is a nice 2/20. All three have been bad, Erstad has been awful, though.

Dye has been hitting fine lately, especially in the last few games. And guess when it happened...after his day off.

russ99
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
In 2005, Pods did a pretty damn good job against lefties. Detroit would bring Jamie Walker in to face him, and he'd just slap the ball through the hole for a hit. Last year, I thought he struggled. However, I would add that Pods struggled against everybody last year. I don't think he was healthy. Hopefully, this year will be different. This club needs the 2005 Pods to return.

So far, so good for Pods. As long has he keeps getting on base, he'll do great this year.

Also, Pods has kept out of the lineup for left-handed starters, like Sabathia & Santana - who the whole team seems to have problems getting hits against. I don't recall Ozzie lifting Pods this season for a lefty reliever.

I hope the guys are good and peeved about this weekend dropping 2 winnable games in Cleveland and break out the lumber tonight.