PDA

View Full Version : The Closer Question

Petch
04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm wondering what kind of leash Bobby Jenks is on and how much room he has to fail before a switch is made. Aardsma has a brilliant .90 ERA and a .80 WHIP, as well as leading the team in K's (with 15). Meanwhile, Bobby is getting hit. I'm all for letting Jenks work out the kinks, but I'm wondering if he will be allowed to with Aardsma pitching so well?

rdivaldi
04-16-2007, 12:20 PM
There is a HUGE difference between coming in as a middle reliever as opposed to coming in as a closer. I wouldn't mess with our bullpen at all, Bobby has performed well except for that Oakland debacle.

chisoxwschamps05
04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Bobby had one bad game so there is no need for a switch. Even if they did switch closers, MacDougal would probably be chosen before Aardsma.

soxfanatlanta
04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Let Aardsma continue to thrive as a setup man before we give him the ball in the 9th, OK? I'd give Jenks through mid May before that conversation takes place. We have a few other flame throwers that can come in and shut the door if needed.

soxfan13
04-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Way, way, too early in the season to worry about this but I would think MacDougal would get the shot before anybody, just for the reason, that he has experience as a closer.

UserNameBlank
04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Bobby will get his velocity back and in the mean time will continue getting better and better as a pitcher.

And if Aardsma keeps looking like the ****ing K-Monster he will become our version of Zumaya.

Man, KW's once bewildering McCarthy trade is looking like a steal. Aardsma and Sisco for Cotts and Gload? Even more so.

kittle42
04-16-2007, 12:38 PM
By this logic, Cliff Politte should have been the closer in 2005.

No thanks.

IronFisk
04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I like Aardsma. No better pirate-loving name in baseball history. Nuff said. :D:

IlliniSox4Life
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Bobby had one bad game so there is no need for a switch. Even if they did switch closers, MacDougal would probably be chosen before Aardsma.

Way, way, too early in the season to worry about this but I would think MacDougal would get the shot before anybody, just for the reason, that he has experience as a closer.

Yup, if anyone is going to replace Bobby, MacDougal is the favorite.

And Bobby has quite a bit of a leash to work with. His velocity will slowly work its way back.

schmitty9800
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
The more his fastball isn't working, the more he'll develop that cutter. Even if he doesn't even throw 98 again I think he could still be effective with the cutter at 92, curve, and a straight change to mix it up (I'd like to see him mix it in more).

But getting back to the original subject; he's our closer, and until that changes I'd say that he should get all the leash he needs.

JB98
04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Bobby is our closer. It's nice to have two power right-handed arms like Mac and Aardsma to work in the set-up roles, along with Thornton.

MCHSoxFan
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
It maybe Mac if things get too bad. Honestly, I think Jenks will stay our closer. Give him more time.

SBSoxFan
04-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I wonder if twins' fans are having this same discussion. After all, Nathan was one more hit away from blowing a save against the Sox, and he blew a save at home against Tampa Bay. The guy's obviously loosing it. :rolleyes:

FedEx227
04-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I wonder if twins' fans are having this same discussion. After all, Nathan was one more hit away from blowing a save against the Sox, and he blew a save at home against Tampa Bay. The guy's obviously loosing it. :rolleyes:

Nathan blew 10 saves from 04-06 while collecting 123.

Jenks blew 6 from 05-06 while picking up 47.

Comparing Nathan to Jenks is idiotic. While I don't think either is LOSING anything, I still am a bit concerned about Jenks because in my mind he is nothing but a trick pitcher, but I sure as hell hope he proves me wrong, because as our bullpen stands now it has the chance to be top in the league.

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Jenks will get more rope. His problem right now seems to be in his head.

skottyj242
04-17-2007, 11:33 AM

You mean Nasty?

soxfan13
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
You mean Nasty?

Yeah that too!!!!

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Jenks has had only one bad outting (but is giving up more hits than I would like), he is becoming a real good pitcher even without that velocity but having said that I fear that if he is still topping out at around 95 in June or mid May, we maybe in trouble. But I think his velocity will come back as the weather gets warmer. He'll be fine. My vote for closer though if we had to pick one other than Jenks would be MacDougal...or maybe see if Shingo is available.:D:

Beautox
04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Nathan blew 10 saves from 04-06 while collecting 123.

Jenks blew 6 from 05-06 while picking up 47.

Comparing Nathan to Jenks is idiotic. While I don't think either is LOSING anything, I still am a bit concerned about Jenks because in my mind he is nothing but a trick pitcher, but I sure as hell hope he proves me wrong, because as our bullpen stands now it has the chance to be top in the league.

wow. last time i checked he didn't have a sneaky delivery and wasn't throwing an eephus pitch. His raw stuff is amazing when his velocity is on and hes sharp he has 4 + pitches, 12 6 power curve, 12 6 knuckle curve(its the loopy one) slider, and a + 4 seam, add into the mix he can cut and sink his fastball too, hes a special pitcher. Even if he lost the closer role, he would still be a very effective MR for the white sox posting a sub 4.00era, and he still has a ton of value as a trading chip to another team, god forbid.

JB98
04-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Jenks has had only one bad outting (but is giving up more hits than I would like), he is becoming a real good pitcher even without that velocity but having said that I fear that if he is still topping out at around 95 in June or mid May, we maybe in trouble. But I think his velocity will come back as the weather gets warmer. He'll be fine. My vote for closer though if we had to pick one other than Jenks would be MacDougal...or maybe see if Shingo is available.:D:

There is a contradiction in this post. If Bobby is, in fact, becoming a real good pitcher without the velocity, then there is no reason for concern if he's topping out at 95 later in the year. A 95 mph fastball, plus an understanding of how to use your offspeed pitches, is more than enough to be successful.

soxinem1
04-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Do you realize most pitchers, including closers, do not even reach 95 occasionally?:smile: WHat is wrong with hitting 95 consistently?

Unlike Koch, Bobby Jenks had a few other weapons in the arsonal. Now if he loses the curve.............