PDA

View Full Version : Yanks in real trouble? And is it a double blessing for us?

White City
04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm starting to wonder if the Yankees can post a winning record this season. I know, I know, they always find a way to get it going after a slow start. And they can change their team wholesale at midseason because of their purse-strings. But this team has a lot of problems in its pitching.

Marco Scutaro homering off of Mariano in his first save opportunity of the season yesterday (FIRST?!?!!?) had to particularly send a wave of terror through the Yanks fans.

Now if the Yanks have to trade for pitching sometime this summer, I wonder what team out there has stock-piled a lot of young arms that could be packaged to get a certain disaffected SS-turned-3B that continues to produce over the howls of his team's spoiled fans?

JohnTucker0814
04-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm starting to wonder if the Yankees can post a winning record this season. I know, I know, they always find a way to get it going after a slow start. And they can change their team wholesale at midseason because of their purse-strings. But this team has a lot of problems in its pitching.

Marco Scutaro homering off of Mariano in his first save opportunity of the season yesterday (FIRST?!?!!?) had to particularly send a wave of terror through the Yanks fans.

Now if the Yanks have to trade for pitching sometime this summer, I wonder what team out there has stock-piled a lot of young arms that could be packaged to get a certain disaffected SS-turned-3B that continues to produce over the howls of his team's spoiled fans?

They are in trouble with pitching... Mussina and Pavano on the DL, Wang already there... I wonder how long they are going to leave Hughes in AAA. They have to give this kid a chance now with the way they are struggling in the majors to keep 5 starters healthy.

And I do not want to give up all the great young arms that we FINALLY have for ARod. I've been a supporter in the past of getting ARod, but have recently changed my mind. I'd much rather have Danks, Gio, Broadway, Floyd, etc than have another big bopper in ARod. Our offense is plenty good!

White City
04-16-2007, 11:34 AM
You wouldn't want to send, say, Masset and Floyd for ARod?

That would effectively be like we had traded McCarthy and Garcia for ARod, Danks and Gio, right? That's a good trade, I think -- especially given that we had six starting pitchers for five slots before those trades.

If Kenny were to pull something like that off, it would cement his legend status in my mind forever!

palehozenychicty
04-16-2007, 11:39 AM

That would effectively be like we had traded McCarthy and Garcia for ARod, Danks and Gio, right? That's a good trade, I think -- especially given that we had six starting pitchers for five slots before those trades.

If Kenny were to pull something like that off, it would cement his legend status in my mind forever!

Crede would have to go in that trade as well, and Kenny will be a legend when he builds the Sox another championship club.

Huisj
04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
There's no way in the world the sox would get Rodriguez for a reliever and a minor leaguer who has never has success in the majors really. That's just plain silly.

What about this scenario: instead of the sox trading their young pitchers, say we get to the all star break and buerhle and garland both have ERAs in the 4s, and are pitching just ok, but not super good. And say the Yankees, despite their pitching problems, have put together enough offense to stay in the race. Would those two be of any interest to a team like the yankees if they had something interesting to give back in return (young pitching)?

I know this opinion upsets some people on the board, but doesn't it seem more likely that the sox would trade one of their older established pitchers who isn't under a long extension than rather than trade the youngsters they just got?

oeo
04-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Yeah...Masset and Floyd for a Hall of Famer, as well as one of the best players ever. :rolleyes:

JohnTucker0814
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
There's no way in the world the sox would get Rodriguez for a reliever and a minor leaguer who has never has success in the majors really. That's just plain silly.

What about this scenario: instead of the sox trading their young pitchers, say we get to the all star break and buerhle and garland both have ERAs in the 4s, and are pitching just ok, but not super good. And say the Yankees, despite their pitching problems, have put together enough offense to stay in the race. Would those two be of any interest to a team like the yankees if they had something interesting to give back in return (young pitching)?

I know this opinion upsets some people on the board, but doesn't it seem more likely that the sox would trade one of their older established pitchers who isn't under a long extension than rather than trade the youngsters they just got?

The only way I trade with the Yankees and help support a playoff push to them is if we get Hughes in return. If the mighty Yankees want to win bad enough and no-one will pony up a player for them, they will have to pay a ransom to get it!

PaulDrake
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
And I do not want to give up all the great young arms that we FINALLY have for ARod. I've been a supporter in the past of getting ARod, but have recently changed my mind. I'd much rather have Danks, Gio, Broadway, Floyd, etc than have another big bopper in ARod. Our offense is plenty good! Oh no, not again.

White City
04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah...Masset and Floyd for a Hall of Famer, as well as one of the best players ever. :rolleyes:

My original scenario was that they would continue to be in BIG trouble with their pitching. That could inspire a bit more desperate reach on their part. Still, my trade idea is probably still too lowball.

UserNameBlank
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM

If Arod came as cheap as Floyd and Masset, someone would be fired. And it damn sure wouldn't be KW.

Fenway
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the Yankees can post a winning record this season.

Yankees are known for sputtering out of the gate....

But geeze with 3 starters on the DL now Boston gets them at a good time the next 2 weeks.

It is possible that national tv may cover one or more of the Boston-NYY games

Scottiehaswheels
04-16-2007, 01:58 PM
no we'll see a crap team send them like 3 good looking minor leaguers for one of their bench players and they'll be fine again... :angry: Why GM's feel the need to "help" either Boston or the Yankees is beyond me...

Ziggy S
04-17-2007, 08:45 AM
no we'll see a crap team send them like 3 good looking minor leaguers for one of their bench players and they'll be fine again... :angry: Why GM's feel the need to "help" either Boston or the Yankees is beyond me...
Just remember one word my friend, MONEY. Boston and the Evil Empire have buckets of duckets and that's what most "small market" billionaire owners adore more than anything in the world. The only thing guys like Pohlad, Loria, and the guys from KC and Pittsburgh like more than cash is a lot of cash. That, is why teams like that will give up quality players and get nothing in return that would lead to a gain in their division standings in the future.

palehozenychicty
04-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Just remember one word my friend, MONEY. Boston and the Evil Empire have buckets of duckets and that's what most "small market" billionaire owners adore more than anything in the world. The only thing guys like Pohlad, Loria, and the guys from KC and Pittsburgh like more than cash is a lot of cash. That, is why teams like that will give up quality players and get nothing in return that would lead to a gain in their division standings in the future.

Exactly. It's been going on forever. Small-market teams dump their heavy contracts for A-list prospects to big-market teams. It's an unfair game, but it is what it is. Revenue sharing has curbed this somewhat, but not nearly enough like a salary cap.

IlliniSox4Life
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
While we're at it, why don't we see if we can re-sign Shingo and trade him for ARod.

soxinem1
04-19-2007, 06:57 PM
They are in trouble with pitching... Mussina and Pavano on the DL, Wang already there... I wonder how long they are going to leave Hughes in AAA. They have to give this kid a chance now with the way they are struggling in the majors to keep 5 starters healthy.

And I do not want to give up all the great young arms that we FINALLY have for ARod. I've been a supporter in the past of getting ARod, but have recently changed my mind. I'd much rather have Danks, Gio, Broadway, Floyd, etc than have another big bopper in ARod. Our offense is plenty good!

If they want Floyd, they can have him. Plus, it would figure to make more sense that either Crede or Uribe would go as well. After all, we'd have too many guys and they'd have no replacement for ARod.

But to trade anything to rent him for five months? Only if he agreed not to exercises his FA option.