PDA

View Full Version : Indians(no not my people, the team in Cleveland) want a tribute to Larry doby as well

IndianWhiteSox
04-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Want to hear you thoughts people on this article....

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtQZ_nR_SWWIbfEjzJFCT9Q5nYcB?slug=ap-indians-dobytribute&prov=ap&type=lgns

soxfan13
04-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Cleveland had a tribute for Doby already. I was at the tribute game. It was the game before the All Star break years ago when th e newly opened Jacobs field was hosting the All-Star game.

IndianWhiteSox
04-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Cleveland had a tribute for Doby already. I was at the tribute game. It was the game before the All Star break years ago when th e newly opened Jacobs field was hosting the All-Star game.

They're talking about another MLB tribute to him.

Jackie Robinson shouldn't have been have had more than one tribute right?
I mean he already have one in 1972 and 1997.

TDog
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
It's doubtful that Doby would have played in 1947 with Cleveland, or any other MLB team, if Jackie Robinson hadn't already been playing in Brooklyn. Doby did have to go through some hardship, although Bob Feller has said he was just one of the guys. (Doby disagrees.) So did Henry Aaron 25 years later, late in his career.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but really, honoring Doby isn't the same as honoring Robinson. And, in fact, Doby is in the Hall of Fame. I have no problem with the Indians honoring Doby, or the White Sox posthumously honoring Sam Hairston (who had a lifetime batting average of .400 in five games in 1951 and sired a prolific pinch hitter while scouting for the Sox). Were it not for segregation, Sam Hairston might have had a fine MLB career.

For that matter, the Indians could honor Frank Robinson. Larry Doby holds the distinction of being MLB's second black manager, so the Indians could also get on board with honoring Doby for his handling of the pre-LaRussa White Sox.

Fenway
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but really, honoring Doby isn't the same as honoring Robinson.

Doby went through the same thing in the AL

The AL didn't want to intergrate and the Yankees and the Red Sox were the last teams to do so ( Yankees in 1955, Boston in 1959 )

TDog
04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Doby went through the same thing in the AL

Not according to Bob Feller. Larry Doby takes issues with Mr. Feller's analysis, and I temper Mr. Feller's views with the fact that he is a bitter old man. But I don't question that there was a fundamental difference between Doby and Jackie Robinson.

Doby wasn't considered an "experiment" to the same degree that Robinson was, first proving himself in 1946 in the International League. Doby was signed off of the Newark Eagles 11 weeks after Robinson debuted with the Dodgers. Doby was playing for the Indians just a couple of days after he signed. Doby wouldn't have debuted with Cleveland in 1947 if Robinson hadn't debuted with Brooklyn first.

I don't doubt that Doby went through much of the same things that Robinson did. Other black players went through similar hells because of their race. I wouldn't doubt that Pumpsie Green went through hell in 1959.
I don't discount the courage Larry Doby displayed in his career. What a big chunk of America did to Henry Aaron about a quarter of a century after Jackie Robinson's debut is inexcusable as well.

The stakes weren't as high for Doby. Robinson's success was more important for the progress of his race. He understood that it would be when he signed on to play. And that goes to the issue of why Robinson needed to be honored in such a special way.