PDA

View Full Version : Your impressions on John Danks so far.

JermaineDye05
04-15-2007, 12:22 AM
I've really like what I've seen from him so far, he's looked very good. His mound pressence is great and he's given us a chance to win each time. One thing I've really liked is he's had a good attitude the whole time, and even when he has a good outing he'll nit pick everything.

quotes from todays game:

"It would be nice to have shorter innings. I was all over the place, I didn't have very sharp stuff today. The whole game was a grind. Getting the fastball to complement my offspeed, and I was struggling to hit the spots and keep the ball down. That's what hurt me in the second inning. I have to learn from it.You make a mistake, you're going to pay for it, On the first one to Garko, I had him 0-2. To give up an 0-2 home run, it kind of burns me a bit. My job is to get us into the seventh and give us a chance to win, I think I've done a good job of that thus far, but no 'W.' We're two starts in, and it will all even out. With that being said, it's a good confidence builder, knowing you can go out without your best stuff against one of the best teams in the league, and survive and give up only two runs,"

UserNameBlank
04-15-2007, 12:27 AM
I love the attitude he has. I don't think this kid is ever going back to the minors again. He just seems destined to stay and be a hillarious trivia question: what is John Danks' career minor league ERA? 4.20.

aryzner
04-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I think he's been great and I think Hawk said it best today about how the Sox just need to give him some runs so he can get a W.

MrRoboto83
04-15-2007, 12:58 AM
I think he is only going to get better, which means very good things since he is already pitching his heart out.

slobes
04-15-2007, 01:02 AM
This guy is hopefully here to stay. Not gonna lie, I thought he'd be a bust, but I'm glad to see he's proved me wrong.

JermaineDye05
04-15-2007, 01:03 AM
From what I've seen so far he's definately making me think he has a legitimate shot at ROY. Although it will probably end up going to Delmon Young or Matsuzaka (hopefully not).

JB98
04-15-2007, 01:16 AM
The kid has the mental toughness to pitch at the big-league level. He doesn't rattle easily. That's what I like. There is more to pitching than just pure stuff. And Danks does have good stuff. His curve is nasty. He froze Hafner in the first inning today. He needs to improve his changeup. He'll be very, very good once he does that. I feel good about him as a fifth starter this year. I was openly rooting for him to beat out Floyd, who I think has a million-dollar arm and a 10-cent brain.

Beautox
04-15-2007, 01:30 AM
as good as advertised. i don't mind the HRs so long as hes not walking people infront of said HRs. he seems to be getting alot of his Ks on his change up low and away ill be interested to see how he adjusts once the report is out on him.

chisoxfanatic
04-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Like I said in my game report today, Danks has absolutely nothing to hang his head in shame about. During his first outing, he faced a perennial Cy Young candidate and did pretty damn well in doing so. Today, the offense let him down--not his fault. Good for him! His next start's at Comerica Park. The good thing is that he's getting early experience against tough divisional competition, which cannot be taken too lightly.

Boondock Saint
04-15-2007, 02:34 AM
I like his stuff, I just think that right now he's leaving a bit too much out over the plate.

ondafarm
04-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Two hard luck games so far. He pitched well enough to win either but didn't. I'm sure in his 20 year career he'll look back and say, "I got those two hard luck losses repaid in cheap wins a dozen times over." That's baseball, it happens. He'll be fine.

nasox
04-15-2007, 05:49 AM
You are impressions of John Danks so far?

I think you need to fix your grammatical mistake. Your, not you're.

ILuvThatDuck
04-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Sorry, I dont do impressions.

The Racehorse
04-15-2007, 08:14 AM
His numbers after two starts...

W: 0 L: 2 ERA: 3.97 K: 10 BB: 3 WHIP: 1.24 IP: 11.1 BAA: .250

If Danks maintains an ERA under 4 while keeping his WHIP & K/BB ratio where it is now, all the while pitching into the 5th & 6th innings, the wins will come.

So far, I like what I see from Danks. He's giving the team a chance to win from the 5th spot in the rotation.

soxtalker
04-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Great so far, but it is only 2 games. Hitters/teams will make adjustments to probe his weaknesses, and we'll see how he makes adjustments. Not trying to be too negative here. I liked the trade at the time it was made, and I'd make an optimistic comment if he was getting shelled.

chopperjc
04-15-2007, 09:07 AM
has a major league attitude seems like a pro. he doesn't seemed in awe of the situation.

TomBradley72
04-15-2007, 09:23 AM

:rolleyes:

Reminds me turning on the WSCR on a Saturday during the winter....Bernstein was actually doing a full segment with callers on "What's the error in grammar that is most annoying to you?"...lasted at least 30 minutes with commercial breaks, etc. The "Your"/"You're" thing was the leader. I couldn't believe this was an actual segment on a sports talk station...it was like a car wreck...I couldn't look away.

I'll never get that 30 minutes of my life back.:(:

JorgeFabregas
04-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Done the job so far, but gives up a lot of fly balls.

cws05champ
04-15-2007, 10:08 AM
He has been better than I thought so far, but he has to improve the control on his change up. If he can consistently locate the change as well as his hook....then all he has to do is keep the fastball down, and we are looking at a very good pitcher!

SoxandtheCityTee
04-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I liked his not falling apart after giving up those homers. He gave his team a chance to win and though they didn't this time, they often will. I'm looking forward to Danks's next start, and it's not often you can say that about your 0-2 No. 5 starter.

Whitesox029
04-15-2007, 10:13 AM

Beat me to it...:tongue:

In answer to the intended question, I'm very very pleasantly surprised with both Danks and Masset. They're extremely mature for such young pitchers, and it might be that both of them have bright futures in the Sox' rotation.

JermaineDye05
04-15-2007, 12:13 PM

woah can't believe I missed that, must have had a brain cramp when I was writing that.

dickallen15
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I do like his attitude, but I'm holding off on judging his performance until he pitches in weather conditions the game is meant to be played in. He's had 2 starts with windchills in the low 30s , upper 20s.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-15-2007, 04:12 PM
My impression?

"Hard Luck" Danks.

He has the Joe Horlen starter kit...

1966 Horlen 10 wins, 13 losses, 2.43 ERA.

sox1970
04-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I like Danks a lot. He's going to take his lumps, as all rookies do. If the Sox can go .500 in his starts, I like our chances for postseason play.

Side note--McCarthy went 2 innings today--6 runs, 3 homers. ERA: 7.07

Domeshot17
04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
The only starter that anyone can argue has been more effective in his first 2 starts has been (shockingly) Vazquez. Danks has given up 5 runs in 2 starts, had a 3:1 k:bb ratio and a low whip. The only negative besides the fact he can't get any run support is he gives up a lot of fly balls, which means hitters may be able to adjust to him in time. But yah, no doubt he deserves to be 2-0. The pitching has been nice, its the offense I worry about. I know its early, but we only have 1 hitter above .300 (Pods) and the only one really driving in runs is Uribe. We need Pk-Thome Dye (especally Dye) AJ and Crede to get their heads out of the sand and turn it on. You can't win a division in april, but you can lose it. We need to start playing these central division rivals tougher. Lets hope we can take care of a dangerous Texas team and get back on track. Should have swept this weekend

SOXSINCE'70
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Danks has done a great job,so far.

Just one request: PUH-LEEZ keep the ball down in the strike zone.:praying:

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-15-2007, 07:40 PM
The way Danks has pitched in his 2 starts, he deserved to win both games. If the Sox could only get their offense rolling.

Brian26
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
His delivery reminds me of a former Sox pitcher, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm thinking he looks similar to Britt Burns in the way he comes to the plate.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Great so far, but it is only 2 games. Hitters/teams will make adjustments to probe his weaknesses, and we'll see how he makes adjustments. Not trying to be too negative here. I liked the trade at the time it was made, and I'd make an optimistic comment if he was getting shelled.
I definitely agree to this.

Soxfanspcu11
04-16-2007, 06:53 AM
He looks GREAT out there so far!!!

I remember watching his progress throughout Spring Trainning and it was really encouraging.

Everyone had pretty much figured that the 5 spot was going to be a battle between Floyd and Haegar, but out of nowhere, Danks comes swooping in.

You gotta love the way that he EARNED that spot.

Let's not forget that at the beginning of camp, he wasn't even sure if he would make the team and a lot of people, myself included, thought for sure that he would start the season in Charlotte, if just because of his age alone.

He didn't just earn that spot, he TOOK that spot.

I really admire his confidence and determination.

I was very curious to see how he would react once he got out there and was pitching in games that matter (the regular season) and was VERY pleasantly surprised.

He has the poise, demenoir and body-language of a 30 year old veteran.

His upside is skyhigh.

I'll admit it, I was one of those who HATED the McCarthy trade. But it really seems like we got away with a steal.

Danks just has some filthy stuff. And the fact that he is a lefty is something to get even more excited about.

Hopefully, Danks and MB will be our version of Santana and Liriano. (Without the whole injury part).

If our pitchers pitch like they should, we have got the best staff in baseball, including our relievers.

When I look at the Sox roster, particuarly their entire pitching staff, it gives me goosebumps thinking about their potential.

If this team doesn't win the division, it will be a bigger disapointment than in 2006, IMHO.

BainesHOF
04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not nearly as high on Danks as everyone here seems to be. He's done an admirably job so far, but I believe he's been a little lucky so far with the stuff he's throwing up to the plate.

I don't think he changes speeds nearly enough to be effective in the long term this season. Additionally, his breaking stuff does not break sharply and he's left far too many balls up.

I like his mental makeup and he does have presence on the mound. But Masset's stuff right now looks far better to me so far. My guess is Masset will replace Danks in the rotation at some point this season.

Jaffar
04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm not nearly as high on Danks as everyone here seems to be. He's done an admirably job so far, but I believe he's been a little lucky so far with the stuff he's throwing up to the plate.

I don't think he changes speeds nearly enough to be effective in the long term this season. Additionally, his breaking stuff does not break sharply and he's left far too many balls up.

I like his mental makeup and he does have presence on the mound. But Masset's stuff right now looks far better to me so far. My guess is Masset will replace Danks in the rotation at some point this season.

I don't think his teammates like him all that much either since they refuse to score runs for him. I like what I've seen so far.

Soxfest
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
I am happy with Danks, when he learns to keep ball in park and offense scores runs for him, he will pick up wins.

UserNameBlank
04-17-2007, 06:33 AM
I am happy with Danks, when he learns to keep ball in park and offense scores runs for him, he will pick up wins.
He pitches up and away a lot and will get hurt from time to time, just like Buehrle, but as long as he works quick and throws strikes most of those homers should be solo shots. I love his mentality though.

whitesoxfan1986
04-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I am very impressed with Danks through his first 3 starts. Danks deserved the W today, but Uribe had to **** it up for him. Unfortunately, Uribe's popup gaffe cost John 1.7 points on his ERA. I have a question about some of his stuff. According to the comcast gun, his fastball is between 86-90 mph I heard after we traded for him that his fastball was consistently 90-92 with pops at 93-94. I have also heard that the comcast gun can't be trusted and is usually 3-4 mph slow. I am asking this because I want to know whether to expect Danks to be a control pitcher or more of a power pitcher.

Grzegorz
04-21-2007, 07:18 AM

At this point I am happy with him. He'll improve with experience.

The Texas deal looks good from the standpoint of the Chicago White Sox at the present time.

Railsplitter
04-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree with Scott Gregor in today's "Sox Notes" column in the Daily Hearld. Danks can't buy a break. If the Sox andn;t given the Tigers four outs in the fifth inning, Danks would have pitched enough to get the win.

Railsplitter
04-21-2007, 10:52 AM
This didn't cross my mind until a few minutes ago: the Sox still have scored more runs AFTER danks has been lifted than while he's pitching.

hawkjt
04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
ozzie just commented in his pre-game interview that one thing he liked the best about danks last nite was when uribe let that ball drop... danks turned around and shook his fist to pump up Juan and clearly indicated that danks was not upset with the defense.

Of course he then gave up the single that almost cost the sox the game but as ozzie said

'' John Danks is a great teammate''

I like this kid.

It's Dankerific
04-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I feel for John Danks. I love the way he is pitching. I'm not worried about people figuring him out more than any other pitcher because he throws strikes. The one thing that bothers me about any pitcher, especially a rookie, is the walk. If they can hit their way onto base and score, fine. They've done a good job. But if you are walking people... In short, we have the defense that can protect a pitcher who is allowing balls to be put in play, but we can't defend free passes.

One thing that seemed crazy, I watch the games out of market on DirecTv. The tigers announcers were saying that it was "well known" that because of where Danks stands on the rubber, he can't locate inside to a right handed hitter. With the organizational philosophy of the great Coop, that just seems crazy. And something easily fixed by moving his location on the rubber if it were true.

My other conspiracy theory about Danks: his lack of luck is that the players on the team must have really liked McCarthy and are just trying to make the trade look like a bad one. Unfortunately for Brandon, he's not making it easy on them and we'll just have to settle for Danks taking the ROY.

First post. Been reading the site for a few weeks. Finally relented and put down a non-yahoo/gmail address.