PDA

View Full Version : Blum Recalls the Magic of 2005

ChiSoxGirl
04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
While enjoying my vacation and visiting family in San Diego this week, I came across COX Cable's channel 4 on Thursday night, which is a local channel that all of the Padres games are on. When the Padres are off, they occasionally air this program called One-on-One, where they typically do features on current Padres players. Thursday night's episode was an interview with Geoff Blum and his wife. The interviewer basically recounted his entire career- from playing ball in college to currently playing on the Padres- but placed special focus on July 31-October 28, 2005.

The interview took place in Blum's living room, where he had copies of the Sun-Times and Tribune from October 26 and October 28, which he proudly showed off. He also had quite a bit of pictures framed on his living room walls from October 26- with his family and some Sox players. At one point, when he was recounting his homerun in Game 3 and the feeling he got after hitting it, he literally had tears in his eyes as he recalled that important at-bat and how it defined his career. He also mentioned being so proud to be remembered in Chicago for such a memorable homerun.

There were many clips from the '05 World Series shown, along with clips of the Ticker Tape Parade. Some of the Sox players and Ozzie were also interviewed (the interviews must've been taped last season when the Sox were on a roadtrip to Angels Stadium) and just told the interviewer about how great Blum's go-ahead homerun was not only for the team, but for Geoff, too.

What I really liked about this whole interview was the obvious pride and happiness that Blum is still feeling from the three months he spent in Chicago. He teared up when talking about the Parade and how every time he comes to Chicago, Sox fans come up to him and thank him for helping the Sox win it all. He said he had no idea how important one at-bat became to Sox fans and the entire city of Chicago, but he's so proud to have solidified his place in White Sox history. It was really an awesome interview and something that was really cool and that I was glad I came across.

RadioheadRocks
04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Blum!!!! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Seriously I'd LOVE to see that... hopefully someone from one of the Chicago media outlets picks up on it and airs it for all of us to enjoy!

PaulDrake
04-14-2007, 07:50 PM
He said he had no idea how important one at-bat became to Sox fans and the entire city of Chicago, but he's so proud to have solidified his place in White Sox history. That's my favorite moment in the 2005 World Series. It was so late, I didn't think the game would ever end, and I was worried the Astros would win the game and steal back the Big Mo. What a great feeling when Geoff hit that homer.

DeadMoney
04-14-2007, 07:59 PM
He is a true class act. I have a story about Geoff from last year at spring training that I'd like to share that I think displays one reason why I have that perception of him.

Last year, at spring training my mom and I went to a D-Backs/Padres game at TEP and I was starting a mission to get the Commemorative World Series SportsIllustrated signed, waiting/hoping Geoff would be in Tucson that day. As soon as he came out, I called him over and right away he was more than happy to come over and sign my SI for me (I was in Sox gear). I then thanked him for the signature and the WS HR, and wished him luck in the future. He then thanked me (and Sox fans in general) for the support and said he really appreciated it. His reaction sort of surprised me because it was almost like he came off as if he owed Sox fans (and the Sox) for the chance that they gave him in '05 (and the continued support). For a 3 month rental, it's awesome how much of a connection he seems to feel he has to the Sox and their fans.

He will forever be remembered in White Sox history and will always be a part of baseball history because of that HR and I can undoubtedly say that it could not have happened to a better guy.

tacosalbarojas
04-14-2007, 08:07 PM
He is a true class act. I have a story about Geoff from last year at spring training that I'd like to share that I think displays one reason why I have that perception of him.

Last year, at spring training my mom and I went to a D-Backs/Padres game at TEP and I was starting a mission to get the Commemorative World Series SportsIllustrated signed, waiting/hoping Geoff would be in Tucson that day. As soon as he came out, I called him over and right away he was more than happy to come over and sign my SI for me (I was in Sox gear). I then thanked him for the signature and the WS HR, and wished him luck in the future. He then thanked me (and Sox fans in general) for the support and said he really appreciated it. His reaction sort of surprised me because it was almost like he came off as if he owed Sox fans (and the Sox) for the chance that they gave him in '05 (and the continued support). For a 3 month rental, it's awesome how much of a connection he seems to feel he has to the Sox and their fans.

He will forever be remembered in White Sox history and will always be a part of baseball history because of that HR and I can undoubtedly say that it could not have happened to a better guy.Wait...I thought he did owe us...seriously, nice story. A Chicago outlet (hi CSN) should pick up this piece.

salty99
04-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I sent an 8x10 of him hitting that homerun to him and a World Series Topps card to spring training. He signed them both and sent them both. What a class act!!!

DumpJerry
04-15-2007, 04:57 PM
We never had a chance (other than the ring ceremony) to really show our appreciation to him and el Duque for their playoff heroics since they never played in a Sox uni at home after their respective feats.

Now that both are in the NL, it is even less likely we will see them in a game to cheer them on (unless it is a World Series game).

Chrisaway
04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Funny, I just ordered a Blum jersey.

oeo
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I remember at the trade deadline there were people hoping for something real big...and "all we got" was Blum; the thread was actually titled, "Blum and done." Boy did that change on October 25th. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Blum!!!! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

While at the Padres game last Monday night, Blum was called on to pinch hit and delivered a sacrifice fly deep to right, scoring Khalil Greene and accounting for the only run in the game. I was sitting a few rows behind the Padres dugout and cheered him on as loudly as I could when he came out and headed toward the on-deck circle. :smile:

WisSoxFan
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
As I recall didn't he and his wife have triplets during the '05 season?

crazyozzie02
04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
too bad the white sox didnt resign him, but i know that i will never forget what he did for us. i just hope that the sox will face the padres at home next year (and hopefully Blum will still be with them) so we can thank him one more time.

ChiSoxGirl
04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
As I recall didn't he and his wife have triplets during the '05 season?

Yes, and that was another thing the interview spent some time on. Geoff mentioned being upset that he was traded anywhere because the babies were born at the beginning of May, but doesn't regret the trade one bit (for obvious reasons).

Chez
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Boy did that change on October 25th. :D:

The game started on 10/25; but Blum's homer was on the 26th. Two WS wins on one day (and it's my oldest son's birthday).

JB98
04-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Geoff should be proud. Even if he does nothing else the rest of his career, he made his mark.

SBSoxFan
04-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes, and that was another thing the interview spent some time on. Geoff mentioned being upset that he was traded anywhere because the babies were born at the beginning of May, but doesn't regret the trade one bit (for obvious reasons).

He was also caught on the world series DVD expressing how, had he not been traded, he'd be changing diapers right now. :D:

JB98
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm wondering why the Chicago media hasn't done a "Blum returns to Chicago" story this week. All this crap about Maddux and Sosa. How many World Series games did they win for this city? Geoff's home run in Game 3 was more historically significant to Chicago baseball than anything Sammy Sosa ever accomplished in his entire career. Blum is a World Series hero, for Christ's sake.

RadioheadRocks
04-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm wondering why the Chicago media hasn't done a "Blum returns to Chicago" story this week. All this crap about Maddux and Sosa. How many World Series games did they win for this city? Geoff's home run in Game 3 was more historically significant to Chicago baseball than anything Sammy Sosa ever accomplished in his entire career. Blum is a World Series hero, for Christ's sake.

Maybe they will now, seeing how he got the game-winning RBI today in (drumroll please...) the 14th inning. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Blum is the best 14th inning hitter in the game today.

oeo
04-17-2007, 10:17 PM
The game started on 10/25; but Blum's homer was on the 26th. Two WS wins on one day (and it's my oldest son's birthday).

If you want to get technical, yes, but I still consider that the same day until I went to sleep.

MUsoxfan
04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
If you want to get technical, yes, but I still consider that the same day until I went to sleep.

I'm with you. There's probably a week of my life that never happened because I didn't go to bed.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Maybe they will now, seeing how he got the game-winning RBI today in (drumroll please...) the 14th inning. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
That's not all: last season, in a game I was watching between the Padres and Mets, Blum hit a 14th-inning walkoff double.

And ChiSoxGirl started this thread on...April 14.

This is getting eerie.

DieTrying79
04-18-2007, 12:29 AM
While enjoying my vacation and visiting family in San Diego this week, I came across COX Cable's channel 4 on Thursday night, which is a local channel that all of the Padres games are on. When the Padres are off, they occasionally air this program called One-on-One, where they typically do features on current Padres players. Thursday night's episode was an interview with Geoff Blum and his wife. The interviewer basically recounted his entire career- from playing ball in college to currently playing on the Padres- but placed special focus on July 31-October 28, 2005.

The interview took place in Blum's living room, where he had copies of the Sun-Times and Tribune from October 26 and October 28, which he proudly showed off. He also had quite a bit of pictures framed on his living room walls from October 26- with his family and some Sox players. At one point, when he was recounting his homerun in Game 3 and the feeling he got after hitting it, he literally had tears in his eyes as he recalled that important at-bat and how it defined his career. He also mentioned being so proud to be remembered in Chicago for such a memorable homerun.

There were many clips from the '05 World Series shown, along with clips of the Ticker Tape Parade. Some of the Sox players and Ozzie were also interviewed (the interviews must've been taped last season when the Sox were on a roadtrip to Angels Stadium) and just told the interviewer about how great Blum's go-ahead homerun was not only for the team, but for Geoff, too.

What I really liked about this whole interview was the obvious pride and happiness that Blum is still feeling from the three months he spent in Chicago. He teared up when talking about the Parade and how every time he comes to Chicago, Sox fans come up to him and thank him for helping the Sox win it all. He said he had no idea how important one at-bat became to Sox fans and the entire city of Chicago, but he's so proud to have solidified his place in White Sox history. It was really an awesome interview and something that was really cool and that I was glad I came across.

Very cool! It's nice to see this guy come in, play his part, and be immortalized in White Sox history. I'm happy for him now that he can be back in SoCal making an impact on that club and being close to family.

BTW, ummm, where's the Blummer jersey and/or player tee often discussed over the course of 2006?!:tongue:

Jerko
04-18-2007, 12:34 AM
That's not all: last season, in a game I was watching between the Padres and Mets, Blum hit a 14th-inning walkoff double.

And ChiSoxGirl started this thread on...April 14.

This is getting eerie.

And his number is 27. 2x7=14 ...................:o: I'm scared...

SOX ADDICT '73
04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
And his number is 27. 2x7=14 ...................:o: I'm scared...
That's crazy!

How many games even get to a 14th inning? And then to have Blum's turn at-bat come up every time? And he gets a game-winning hit EVERY time?

Yipes...

MISoxfan
04-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I remember after the Sox won the ALCS everyone was trying to interview the pitchers. I kept switching back and forth basically watching the guys shove eachother around trying to get in our starters and Paulie's face with the mic. Then one channel (Fox?) went over and found Geoff who was left alone with a daughter. I think made a joke about how nobody wanted to interview him and said thanks for coming over. Had his girl waves to the camera and that was that.

Few games later and he was swamped.

<--Edit-Also birthdays that fall on Oct. 26th are awesome.

jdm2662
04-19-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm with you. There's probably a week of my life that never happened because I didn't go to bed.

A week? It felt like I haven't slept in a month when the World Series ended. :o: It was well worth it, though. :D: