PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV or Dish Network for Long Distance Sox Fans

RichieRichAllen
03-24-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi to all. Long time, no post.

Hey, I've recently moved to the KC area and I'm trying to figure out how to catch Sox games this year. Been considering doing the satellite routine, but I've heard that Fox blacks out games due to local market restrictions. Anybody else have that problemo?

Anyway, I'm looking at Direct TV or the Dish Network. Any pros or cons on either? If these don't pan out, any alternatives out there?

Hep' me, please!

FarWestChicago
03-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
Been considering doing the satellite routine, but I've heard that Fox blacks out games due to local market restrictions. Anybody else have that problemo?

Anyway, I'm looking at Direct TV or the Dish Network. DirecTV is better than Dish Network, especially when it comes to sports. But, Fox does black out day games on Saturday and ESPN blacks out Wednedsay nights. As far as I know, there's no getting around that.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-24-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
DirecTV is better than Dish Network, especially when it comes to sports. But, Fox does black out day games on Saturday and ESPN blacks out Wednedsay nights. As far as I know, there's no getting around that.

I don't think Dish Network even offers MLB's season ticket package. That makes DirectTV easily the choice of baseball fans. However, you'll still miss some games because MLB (unlike the NFL) can't figure out how to wring the last dollar out of the TV and cable networks without sacrificing unlimited access to their product to rabid fans who would pay for it.

Yeah, MLB has got their priorities screwed up. What else is new?

:angry:

Dadawg_77
03-24-2002, 01:31 PM
This might work, instead of getting MLB ticket get sports package. You will get Fox Sports Chicago in there and will be able to see most of the games. Not sure what games you can see if they are WGN and U-26 with that route.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Folks:

Having been in TV for about 15 years and having just gotten Dish Network, here's the skinny on satellites.

Black out restrictions DO apply for pro sports on both systems except Direct TV does off the pro sports packages (MLB extra innings for about 150.00 a season. They offer 35 out of market games per week) The Sox ARE NOT available every night even with that package.

One thing to keep in mind, Dish Network BOUGHT OUT Direct TV! The government is reviewing the sale since it would create a satellite monopoly. However it is expected to be approved in six months time. From what I have been told by reps of both companies. When the sale is approved both systems will offer subscribers what the other currently has.

My advice is go with Dish Network, the basic program packages are cheaper and by next year you will have the option to get the pro sports packages if you choose. Just don't expect to be able to get all 162 Sox games unless you live in the Chicago area.

Lip

nut_stock
03-24-2002, 02:16 PM
I also live outside the Chicago area and I subscribe to Direct Tv's MLB package. This coupled with WGN on the dish will get you about 135-140 games.

Bmr31
03-24-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
This might work, instead of getting MLB ticket get sports package. You will get Fox Sports Chicago in there and will be able to see most of the games. Not sure what games you can see if they are WGN and U-26 with that route.

That doesnt work, if you dont have the baseball package, they dont allow you to see out of town games on fox.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
That doesnt work, if you dont have the baseball package, they dont allow you to see out of town games on fox.

Correct. Each regional Fox Sports channel only has distribution rights for a regional area. Thus, if you live outside FSN-Chicago's distribution area, you will be blacked out of any cablecast of Sox games. FSN-Chicago is not authorized to distribute their feed nationally. The same holds true for all the other regional Fox cablecasts. MLB expects you to pay for those games--thus the season package they make you pay $150 to receive.

Naturally, MLB still manages to screw it up. Even with the season package, they sell "exclusive" rights to ESPN and Fox for certain broadcast windows. Thus you can still be blacked out from your favorite team so that MLB can soak the networks a bit harder for the national broadcast rights. It's insane.

What is it about MLB that would screw up a one car funeral?

FarWestChicago
03-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Naturally, MLB still manages to screw it up. Even with the season package, they sell "exclusive" rights to ESPN and Fox for certain broadcast windows. Thus you can still be blacked out from your favorite team so that MLB can soak the networks a bit harder for the national broadcast rights. It's insane.Insane is the word. If MLB were to significantly improve, they may be able to achieve incompetence. :smile:

Bmr31
03-24-2002, 05:43 PM

Correct. Each regional Fox Sports channel only has distribution rights for a regional area. Thus, if you live outside FSN-Chicago's distribution area, you will be blacked out of any cablecast of Sox games. FSN-Chicago is not authorized to distribute their feed nationally. The same holds true for all the other regional Fox cablecasts. MLB expects you to pay for those games--thus the season package they make you pay $150 to receive.

Naturally, MLB still manages to screw it up. Even with the season package, they sell "exclusive" rights to ESPN and Fox for certain broadcast windows. Thus you can still be blacked out from your favorite team so that MLB can soak the networks a bit harder for the national broadcast rights. It's insane.

What is it about MLB that would screw up a one car funeral?

Lol yeah, amazingly enough, i get to see about 115 sox games, yet i pay 150 bucks.....

Dadawg_77
03-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Damn. in college down in Peoria, I was able to catch other teams games using the Fox sports channels.

Soxheads
03-24-2002, 06:27 PM

Correct. Each regional Fox Sports channel only has distribution rights for a regional area. Thus, if you live outside FSN-Chicago's distribution area, you will be blacked out of any cablecast of Sox games. FSN-Chicago is not authorized to distribute their feed nationally.

I live right on the edge of that line. It makes a difference of between 40 and 140 games a year. Also, are the othe Fox Sports Chicago chaanels avaliable on cable in the Chicago area? Or just on a dish?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-24-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
I live right on the edge of that line. It makes a difference of between 40 and 140 games a year. Also, are the othe Fox Sports Chicago chaanels avaliable on cable in the Chicago area? Or just on a dish?

Here in Chicago, you can buy (for an extra charge) all the regional Fox Sports Network channels from across the country. It's pretty cheap, only $4-5 per month. However, just like everyone else, we are blacked out for all the regional cablecasts those channels aren't authorized to distribute to a national audience.

DirectTV added all of the local TV broadcast channels last year. Now we'll get all the Sox games on Channel 26, plus some truly awesome Spanish language TV programming further up the UHF dial.

Have you ever seen "Cool Hand Luke" dubbed in Spanish?

:gulp:

rmusacch
03-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

If you get the sports package, it will not allow you to see the games on Fox Sports Chicago. Unless you have the MLB package, the games on the local Fox Sports affiliates will be blacked out. With Directv, you get WGN so you will be able to see the games there. As far as the games on WCIU, you will not get those games unless they are broadcast on the other teams Fox affiliate or national TV.

rmusacch
03-24-2002, 10:33 PM

Here in Chicago, you can buy (for an extra charge) all the regional Fox Sports Network channels from across the country. It's pretty cheap, only $4-5 per month. However, just like everyone else, we are blacked out for all the regional cablecasts those channels aren't authorized to distribute to a national audience.

DirectTV added all of the local TV broadcast channels last year. Now we'll get all the Sox games on Channel 26, plus some truly awesome Spanish language TV programming further up the UHF dial.

Have you ever seen "Cool Hand Luke" dubbed in Spanish?

:gulp:

I just got my bill over the weekend. I pay $10 per month for the Fox Sports Network channels across the country. Directv only added UPN when they added the local broadcast channels here. I usually would not watch other broadcast channels but my cousin is going to be playing Mary Magdalene on some thing on PAX tonight. I can't get it.

hsc1
03-24-2002, 11:04 PM
geez ritchierich.. by the time you get done adding up all of that it would have been cheaper to move to chicago and commute back and forth to kc.....lol

RichieRichAllen
03-27-2002, 02:44 AM
LOL...hsc...I was thinking pretty much along the same lines.

Actually, for $150, I could fly to Chicago to see a couple of games this year. Hell, I was planning on doing that anyway.

Between what I can catch on WGN, ESPN and the local Fox affiliate this year (not to mention Royals broadcasts + trips to Royals Stadium), I think I'll pocket the $150 and listen to internet broadcasts instead.

Hey....thanks to everybody for making the picture crystal clear (that would be digitized, wouldn't it?) for me.