PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2007 Indians the first team ever...

Whitesox029
04-14-2007, 12:23 PM
...to have all 5 of their starters make their first official start of the season against the same team? Sabathia, Westbrook, and Sowers all started in the opening series...and then they all started again against the Angels. Now Carmona and Byrd are making their first official starts against the White Sox. This kind of thing was probably common on the 4-man rotation era, but I bet it's never happened with a 5-man rotation. Can anyone remember it?

itsnotrequired
04-14-2007, 12:23 PM
...to have all 5 of their starters make their first official start of the season against the same team? Sabathia, Westbrook, and Sowers all started in the opening series...and then they all started again against the Angels. Now Carmona and Byrd are making their first official starts...against the White Sox. This kind of thing was probably common on the 4-man rotation era, but I bet it's never happened with a 5-man rotation. Can anyone remember it?

Damn, I didn't realize that. I can't imagine this has happened to any other teams.

esbrechtel
04-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Wow....did not think of that....that is really crazy....:nuts:

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
...to have all 5 of their starters make their first official start of the season against the same team? Sabathia, Westbrook, and Sowers all started in the opening series...and then they all started again against the Angels. Now Carmona and Byrd are making their first official starts against the White Sox. This kind of thing was probably common on the 4-man rotation era, but I bet it's never happened with a 5-man rotation. Can anyone remember it?

lucky for them to all make their debuts against our very bad slumping offense.

Vestigio
04-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I was also thinking, have there been any other teams that they played their official home opener in a different city/stadium?

anewman35
04-14-2007, 05:39 PM
I was also thinking, have there been any other teams that they played their official home opener in a different city/stadium?

I guess it depends what you consider a "official home opener". A few teams have opened in Japan, I think the A's opened in Las Vegas once, and I'm sure there's other examples. For the record, I read that for the purposes of official home opener records, they're counting Friday's game, not the Milwaukee ones.

TDog
04-14-2007, 05:46 PM

The new home stadium for the AAA Pacific Coast League Colorado Springs Sky Sox, an affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, was not ready for the beginning of their inaugural season in 1988. The Sky Sox opened their home season in Yuma, Arizona, in Desert Sun Stadium, where the Padres hosted spring training games for 25 years. The Sky Sox opened against the White Sox affiliate, Vancouver. Naturally, unseasonable rain in the Southwest Arizona desert washed out some games, but the teams played a twi-night doubleheader attended by about 60 people before another doubleheader was rained out.

Steve Swisher was managing the Sky Sox. (The team took its name from the local tradition. The White Sox once had a Class A team in Colorado Springs so named.) Mike Yastrzemski was in the Vancouver outfield. I don't remember if Dave Gallagher started in the game, but he was there. Grady Hall, a former first-round draft pick from Northwestern, started on the mound for Vancouver.

I doubt that any major league team has opened in another city. Teams that haven't had new stadiums ready have been able to play elsewhere in the city. The Cubs played home World Series games in Comiskey Park in 1918, instead of staying home at the future baseball shrine we now know as Wrigley Field. But that was because the Cubs found their home park unsuitable for the occasion.