PDA

View Full Version : Another Bonds HR Record Thread

FireMariotti
04-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but since it's a relevant topic i'll go ahead with it.

Barry Bonds hit another two HR's last nite, moving himself even closer to Aaron's record. He seems destined to break the record this year. The only thing I see standing in his way is the legal system.

If and when it happens, how will you all react to the situation? I'll probably tune in to see the record broken, only because I want to see the reaction of the fans when it happens (please let it happen on the road!!).

The only thing encouraging about this whole thing is that there are a couple active players capable of eclisping Bonds down the line (Pujols, AROD, Howard). When he does break the record, I guarantee that media outlets like ESPN will immediately focus on who the next HR king may be.

FarWestChicago
04-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Barry Bonds isn't breaking any records. Only the most virulent defenders (and there are many devotees of chemical performance enhancement around here) of 'roids would claim he is. It's a non-issue. If The Tool lets MLB actually change the record books; well, that would cement his position as the worst commissioner in the history of professional sports.

:tool

Hey, I invented the tie game. I'm brilliant!

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I thnk pitchers might as well start throwing at him. If you're going to walk him anyway, you might as well make it hurt. Bud wouldn't punish them, because he hates Bonds as much as the rest of us. The only problem is that he wears all of that armor, so you have to hit him somewhere that's unprotected.

Which brings up another point: should players be allowed to wear the kind of protection that Barry has? I understand a shin protector, or padding for an injured elbow, but he is covered in plastic so that he can crowd the plate without worrying about getting hurt. And with the moratorium on hitting batters, pitchers are more afraid to push him back. I guarantee that this is an advantage that Aaron/Ruth/Mays, etc, never had. Not as big of a deal as the roids, maybe, but still something that is changing the way the sport is played.

Fenway
04-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Bonds hit #8 tonite. Suddenly he on target to be very close when SF hits Fenway that would be UGLY

Frontman
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
I thnk pitchers might as well start throwing at him. If you're going to walk him anyway, you might as well make it hurt.

Where's Clemens when you need him? You know the Rocket would just shatter Bonds' helmet on his head, ie Sammy Sosa a few years ago.

Honestly, I can see it on the "highlight" reel when it happens, I won't tune in.

I did have this idea that the FBI/CIA/NSA/Men-in-Black will pull a car with black tinted windows into the actual stadium as Bonds' next plate appearance when he's one shy of pulling even with Aaron; they grab Barry, shove him in the car, and we never see him again.

Too bad he isn't an infielder, as you know damn well a ton of guys would slide cleats up at that knee if they could. Hell, if he was a first basemen, they'd still slide trying to cleat him.