PDA

View Full Version : Alds

FireMariotti
04-14-2007, 05:09 AM
I know this thread is very premature, considering we are a week and a half into the season, but what do you all think about the ALDS/NLDS?

I personally think that a 5 game series is too short, especially if it is supposed to decide a leagues two best teams that have played a 162 game schedule. Baseball should either get rid of this playoff round or at least make it a 7 game series.

I know that with the way the divisions and WC are setup, it would be difficult to get rid of the ALDS, so a 7 game series seems to be the best alternative.

If I were commisioner, I would do away with divisions all together. I would rather have two balanced-schedule leagues, and the top two teams in each league should play to decide who represents in the World Series.

Unfortunately, the revenue lost from shortening the playoffs is enough to turn off the head hanchos of the MLB.

areilly
04-14-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't mind the short round, but I would like to see a balanced schedule and Premiership-style ranking and seeding over the current approach.

sox1970
04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
If I was Baseball Ruler of the World:

Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate Interleague Play
Eliminate the Devil Rays
Eliminate the Marlins
Return the Brewers to the American League
Play a balanced schedule--12 games against everyone in your own league for a 156 game schedule.
Top four teams in each league make the playoffs. 1 plays 4; 2 plays 3.
Reduce the regular season to 25 weeks.
MAKE ALL ROUNDS OF THE POSTSEASON BEST OF 7.
Alternate home field advantage in the World Series year-to-year.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate the Devil Rays
Eliminate the Marlins
Play a balanced schedule--12 games against everyone in your own league for a 156 game schedule.

I agree with all these ideas, but I would also eliminate the DH.

Oblong
04-14-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not in favor of expanding it from 5 to 7 but I think the WC should only get one home game. Maybe a 2-1-2 format.

PaulDrake
04-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I know this thread is very premature, considering we are a week and a half into the season, but what do you all think about the ALDS/NLDS?

I personally think that a 5 game series is too short, especially if it is supposed to decide a leagues two best teams that have played a 162 game schedule. Baseball should either get rid of this playoff round or at least make it a 7 game series.

I know that with the way the divisions and WC are setup, it would be difficult to get rid of the ALDS, so a 7 game series seems to be the best alternative.

If I were commisioner, I would do away with divisions all together. I would rather have two balanced-schedule leagues, and the top two teams in each league should play to decide who represents in the World Series.

Unfortunately, the revenue lost from shortening the playoffs is enough to turn off the head hanchos of the MLB. Any lengthening of the playoffs would have to be accompanied by a shortening of the season. One of these days baseball is going to have a World Series played in weather that Cleveland recently experienced.

Dan Mega
04-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate the Devil Rays
Eliminate the Marlins

I'd eliminate the Twins too :D:

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Any lengthening of the playoffs would have to be accompanied by a shortening of the season. One of these days baseball is going to have a World Series played in weather that Cleveland recently experienced.

Wasn't there a World Series game in 97 in Cleveland where the game time temp was around 15?

FedEx227
04-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Wasn't there a World Series game in 97 in Cleveland where the game time temp was around 15?

Oh yeah, forgot which game, but I remember the temperature being from 10-15. Must have been fun.

Railsplitter
04-14-2007, 07:47 PM
The complaints about the ALDS being a best of five originated with New York writers last fall, bemoaning the Yankers' exit. Funny that they did didn't
have problems with the format when the Yanks were winning the series.

Remeber folks, the LCS was a best of five from 1969-1984.

Oblong
04-14-2007, 07:59 PM
The complaints about the ALDS being a best of five originated with New York writers last fall, bemoaning the Yankers' exit. Funny that they did didn't

well if the Yankees lose then there must be a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed.

Fenway
04-14-2007, 08:26 PM

Well the last ALCS NYY was in they had a 3-0 lead so I guess NY writers would want that series to be best of 5 :smile: