Tigers lose. :bandance:

Twins currently losing. :bandance:

Royals lose. :bandance:

Cardinals PPD. :rolleyes:

And for the Flubsessed:

Cubs lose. :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
04-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Good to get the first game of this series.

:)

thomas35forever
04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Good game tonight. I like Juan's power, but he needs work on his underhand throw.

WizardsofOzzie
Way closer than it should have been but I'll take it. Nice to see JD's bat wake up a little and Javy work his way out of jams.

VenturaFan23
Whew!

HotelWhiteSox
I love our bullpen

PicktoCLick72
Whew. Nothing like a unneeded excitement. Let's get Danks his first ML win tomorrow.

INSox56
04-13-2007, 10:25 PM
I was't worried at all last year about Bobby's lack of velocity but this year he's pushing it. 92? He's had ample time to get the arm strength up by now. 92 is not getting it done.

Navarro's Talent
04-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Jenks needs to get that velocity up a bit. Still, he made some good pitches that got batters to hit the ball on the ground. That's definitely a positive. I don't know what Juan was thinking with that soft toss.

Still, they got the W!!! :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
I was't worried at all last year about Bobby's lack of velocity but this year he's pushing it. 92? He's had ample time to get the arm strength up by now. 92 is not getting it done.

Even the Indians announcers commented on Jenks diminished velocity.

RadioheadRocks
Or like Cleveland's announcer likes to shout out: BALLGAME!!!

krohnjw
Hopefully Jenks can step it up here soon...he is making me nervous :(:

Overall a decent game. Nice to see JD getting back in the swing of things, even if Thome looks pretty bad at the plate. Let's keep it going tomorrow :D:

ShoelessJoeS
Sounds like a good day, Viva.

:bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

PaulDrake
I don't know about the heart medicine, but I'll take a nice shot of brandy to toast the Sox. Oh well, lots of the wins in 05 didn't come easy. Overall, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Dan Mega
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice job by Vazquez overall. He did what he needed to and went after guys. Got himself out of a big jam by k'ing Hafner was huge.

Uribe seemed kind of out of it in the 9th but his bat is really coming around! I honestly hope that him and Javy have turned the corner. They both have the physical tools.

Hendu
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Juan made it a little interesting there at the end, and Bobby's got to get that velocity back.

Great job by Javy & the pen of getting out of jams all night.

CLR01
04-13-2007, 10:28 PM
6 for their last 6, 12-4 in their last 16. I love Friday the 13th games.

Vernam
04-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Uribe = player of game (3-run HR) and near-goat (botched double plays)

He seemed tentative after nearly failing to get the third out earlier when flipping to Iguchi. Then in the 9th he was double clutching like crazy. Ozzie looked like he might flip out . . .

Another quality start. :thumbsup:

Vernam

WizardsofOzzie
04-13-2007, 10:29 PM
6 for their last 6, 12-4 in their last 16. I love Friday the 13th games.
Stat of the day material :thumbsup:

Frater Perdurabo
04-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Overall, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Overall they are getting good pitching. The only exceptions are opening day and game 2, and Jenks' meltdown in Oaktown. Right now my only concern is Jenks. He's laboring too much; having to throw too many pitches.

sox1970
04-13-2007, 10:30 PM

He seemed tentative after nearly failing to get the third out earlier when flipping to Iguchi. Then in the 9th he was double clutching like crazy. Ozzie looked like he might flip out . . .

Another quality start. :thumbsup:

Vernam

Not quite, but I'll take it.

sox1970
04-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Here's the plan--get a quick win tomorrow, and a snowout on Sunday, and get the **** out of Dodge. No Sabathia, Mr. Wedge!!!:tongue:

bahn1225
04-13-2007, 10:33 PM

Ozzie looked like he might flip out . . .

Vernam

That would make Ozzie the second manager in Chicago to flip out tonight:rolleyes:

Frontman
04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Jenks needs to get that velocity up a bit. Still, he made some good pitches that got batters to hit the ball on the ground. That's definitely a positive. I don't know what Juan was thinking with that soft toss.

Still, they got the W!!! :bandance:

Without Juan's HR, I would be ready to call for his head. Good LORD he's a better SS than those two plays.

The Sox need to keep their confidence. They can handle tough situations, but this season it seems like they almost play themselves into trouble.

But like you said, SOX WIN.

PLUS .500 ball!

And, the Indians loose.

BOOOYAH!!!

Buehrle > Wood
04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Overall they are getting good pitching. The only exceptions are opening day and game 2, and Jenks' meltdown in Oaktown. Right now my only concern is Jenks. He's laboring too much; having to throw too many pitches.

With the other guys in the pen looking pretty good, my question is how long of a leash in Bobby on at this point? I know its early, but its pretty clear that something isn't right. I am confident that he will get it going, but MacDougal does have experience as a closer.

CLR01
04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
With the other guys in the pen looking pretty good, my question is how long of a leash in Bobby on at this point? I know its early, but its pretty clear that something isn't right. I am confident that he will get it going, but MacDougal does have experience as a closer.

He should have until he can no longer get the job done. As long as he's getting outs I don't care if he is throwing 85.

cheeses_h_rice
04-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Farmer sounded pretty peeved at Juan for the two not-turned DPs in the 9th. How bad was it?

monkeypants
04-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Very nice to get the first game of this series in the W column.

Bobby is really starting to concern me now. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt during Spring Training and the first week of the season, but now...? At least I'm a little comforted with the knowledge that we have MacDougal if needed.

Let's take at least 2 out of 3 now! :smile:

hi im skot
04-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Farmer sounded pretty peeved at Juan for the two not-turned DPs in the 9th. How bad was it?

The first one was pretty bad; Gooch really bailed him (and Jenks) out.

The second...not really Juan's fault. The runner beat the throw.

I loooooove winning the first game of the series.

WizardsofOzzie
04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Whew.

We win. :bandance:

Indians lose. :bandance:

And for the Flubsessed:

Good news all around! :supernana:

cws05champ
04-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Plus, another solid outing by AAAAArrrdsma!

infohawk
04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
More stellar work out of the 'pen. Bobby gave up the two hits, but then got some ground ball outs when he needed them. Juan made it a little more interesting then it should have been, though.

JermaineDye05
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
D-Rays defeat the Twinks 4-2

ilsox7
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM

The second ball to Juan was most certainly his fault. He took forever to get rid of the ball, giving the runner an extra step or two and throwing Tad's timing off.

INSox56
04-13-2007, 10:49 PM

Not really on the second...he took a LOT of time getting the ball to Igu

JB98
04-13-2007, 10:49 PM

Bobby has pitched four times in the last five days now. That's rough this early in the season. If we get in a save situation tomorrow, let's give MacDougal the ball and give Jenks a little break. JMO.

JB98
04-13-2007, 10:50 PM
D-Rays defeat the Twinks 4-2

The Devil Rays beat Santana in the dome. I'm stunned.

cheeses_h_rice
04-13-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm ecstatic.

:cool:

whitesoxfan
04-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Kazmir was pitching though, so I'm not too surprised. Definitely glad about it, though.

Good win tonight. Javy worked out of jams throughout the whole game, but did it in a good manner. Offense stepped up when they needed to. Nice start to the series. Let's grab the second one tomorrow.

JB98
04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Kazmir was pitching though, so I'm not too surprised. Definitely glad about it, though.

Even still, Tampa Bay was like 6-37 in its last 43 road games dating back to last year. And Santana loses at home about once per season.

Although it's early, it's always nice to see the Sox win on a night where Minnesota and Detroit both lost. Halladay threw a 10-inning CG at the Tigers tonight.

infohawk
04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Cleveland definitely has a tough line-up. They've got some guys that seem to consistently try and hit the ball up the middle and the other way. They take what's given to them. I like our offense too, but the Sox hitters seem to try and pull the ball more often. This is just my "unscientific observation."

MCHSoxFan
04-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Whew.

We win. :bandance:

Indians lose. :bandance:

And for the Flubsessed:

Twins LOST!!! SOX WIN! SOX WIN!
:bandance: :) :D:

Viva Medias B's
04-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Twins go on to lose. :bandance:

Oldfellah
04-13-2007, 11:34 PM
GO SOX!!!!!!:bandance:

C'mon Danks,, let's get your 1st MLB WIN!!!

oeo
04-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Erstad looks damn good in centerfield. When Thornton was in, in the 8th, there was a hard hit ball that Erstad had to read off the bat to get to. He made the play flawlessly. That would have been a disaster had Mackowiak been out there.

Here's to a continued healthy season. :gulp:

BanditJimmy
04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
The positive:

1. Vazquez showed us today that 2007 is going to be a different year for him than it was last year. There were about 5 game situation today where he would have imploded last season.

Like all of your starters, I want to start seeing these guys cutting down a bit more on their pitch counts.

2. Unlike last year, this year I am confident with any guy Ozzie calls from the pen for middle relief

3. Ozzie taking charge in the 9th inning by going out to the mound and giving Bobby an ear full.

The negative:

1. No secret. Bobby's velocity. Yes he is getting the job done (if 3 of 4 = 75% is considered getting the job done), but I almost want to start making plans that his velocity will not come back to form. He's had almost 7 weeks of throwing already with the spring included, and he is no where close where he needs to be. Yes I think we need to be concerned. He struggled versus a VERY BAD Oakland offense on Tuesday and struggled today versus a good Indian offense but keep in mind he didn't even face their best hitters (Sizemore, Hafner, Matinez). 91-93 is not going to cut it when the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, or Tigers come around.

2. All or nothing offense once again. I would love to see us startg scoring runs via something other than the HR.

3. Pods once again out in LF in the crucial part of the game when you have a struggling closer. Brian Anderson should just pull a Royce Clayton every game and sit on the bench with gym shoes on

Big win regardless!

oeo
04-13-2007, 11:59 PM
The negative:

1. No secret. Bobby's velocity. Yes he is getting the job done (if 3 of 4 = 75% is considered getting the job done), but I almost want to start making plans that his velocity will not come back to form. He's had almost 7 weeks of throwing already with the spring included, and he is no where close where he needs to be. Yes I think we need to be concerned. He struggled versus a VERY BAD Oakland offense on Tuesday and struggled today versus a good Indian offense but keep in mind he didn't even face their best hitters (Sizemore, Hafner, Matinez). 91-93 is not going to cut it when the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, or Tigers come around.

Give me a break...Bobby had the same problems last year.

2. All or nothing offense once again. I would love to see us startg scoring runs via something other than the HR.So when the pitcher throws a meatball, we should just lay down a bunt, or what? :?: There was nothing wrong with Dye's homerun, since we were already up in the game 4-2...he can crush that ball every night.

3. Pods once again out in LF in the crucial part of the game when you have a struggling closer. Brian Anderson should just pull a Royce Clayton every game and sit on the bench with gym shoes onI don't agree with all the defensive replacement crap people have been spewing lately because I don't think Pods blew that game...Bobby did. But regardless, this was a 6-3 game and that was a 1-0 nothing game; they're not the same situations at all.

MRM
04-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Hopefully Jenks can step it up here soon...he is making me nervous :(:

His ERA LAST YEAR was 4.01. I'm not getting the "concern" at this point. How many guys have saved 40 games in a season with an ERA of 4+? WHO CARES what his fastball is clocking in at? The ONLY thing that matters is how many saves vs. how many blown saves.

If he's "making you nervous", well, that's Bobby being Bobby. He isn't, and never was, a sure thing. This isn't Gossage. Not Eckersley. Nope, he's not even Lee Smith. Never is gonna be, either. Jenks is NOT a premier closer. He is what he is, a good closer with a good mental approach. No more, no less.

Tragg
04-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Great win.

I love the Sox beating the Indians. Beating theTwins isn't bad either. Or the As. Nothing but grudge series' early on.

Big John D tomorrow - go get em!

MRM
04-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Pods once again out in LF in the crucial part of the game when you have a struggling closer. Brian Anderson should just pull a Royce Clayton every game and sit on the bench with gym shoes on

You wanted Anderson in Left? Why? The Sox had a 3 run lead, for starters. And Anderson is no left fielder. Not to mention that Pods isn't NEAR as bad a fielder as many in here make him out to be. This is just silly.

oeo
04-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Big John D tomorrow - go get em!

I can't wait, again. I love this Danks guy. There's just something about him that sets him apart from McCarthy...I don't know what it is, maybe it's because he actually has some balls. :dunno:

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 12:14 AM
You wanted Anderson in Left? Why? The Sox had a 3 run lead, for starters. And Anderson is no left fielder. Not to mention that Pods isn't NEAR as bad a fielder as many in here make him out to be. This is just silly.

As soon as Bobby gave up back to back singles to start that inning, Anderson should have been out on his way to LF.

"Pods isn't NEAR as bad a fielder as many in here make him out to be. This is just silly"

You must have not watched Tuesday's game, that I find silly!

MRM
04-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I can't wait, again. I love this Danks guy. There's just something about him that sets him apart from McCarthy...I don't know what it is, maybe it's because he actually has some balls. :dunno:

I know what it is. Danks can pitch. McCarthy gives up WAY too many fly balls, many of which find their way over the wall. Brandon will be lucky to keep his ERA under 5.00 with 10 wins in that park. I'm going to predict Danks at 4.15 with a 14-9 record.

MRM
04-14-2007, 12:20 AM
As soon as Bobby gave up back to back singles to start that inning, Anderson should have been out on his way to LF.

"Pods isn't NEAR as bad a fielder as many in here make him out to be. This is just silly"

You must have not watched Tuesday's game, that I find silly!

Bobby giving up singles should affect who is in the outfield?

Yes I did see tuesdays game. So what? That out come had NOTHING to do with Pods. He was playing in (as he was told to) and he couldn't get to that ball. Do you think for a second that ANDERSON was going to get to it? Get real. Brian is a better fielder but there is no way he has the SPEED to get there in the first place.

You won't see Anderson in LF at all this year...he's not a LF. Live with it.

CLR01
04-14-2007, 12:21 AM

Please, talk about silly. I think one of the better defensive CFer's in the league could more than handle sliding over and playing left field. That said, I do agree that there was no need for a defensive substitution in tonights game.

sox1970
04-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Vazquez showed us today that 2007 is going to be a different year for him than it was last year. There were about 5 game situation today where he would have imploded last season.

Be careful with the Vazquez praise. Yes--good so far. But the same thing happened last year. After 10 starts in 2006, he had 7 quality starts, with a 3.86 ERA. Then he proceeded to suck for the majority of the next 15 starts, and his ERA was over 5.00.

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Give me a break...Bobby had the same problems last year.

So when the pitcher throws a meatball, we should just lay down a bunt, or what? :?: There was nothing wrong with Dye's homerun, since we were already up in the game 4-2...he can crush that ball every night.

I don't agree with all the defensive replacement crap people have been spewing lately because I don't think Pods blew that game...Bobby did. But regardless, this was a 6-3 game and that was a 1-0 nothing game; they're not the same situations at all.

1. what does last year have to do with this year?

2. I have no problem with the HRs. I do have a problem with going 8 for 33 (.242) for the game and hitting about .220 -.230 for the season. There's got to be a way to get more production other than the HR. Maybe we can run off to a 10-2 or 12-1 lead if we find other ways to score runs.

3. When Bobby gave up back to back singles to start the inning, that's when you makes moves to improve your defense. A 6-3 looks more like a 1 run lead when you have bad defense.

Regardless of all of the above, we still won the game.

Tragg
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM

I'm sure the game won't be televised down here tomorrow; but I saw Danks on Easter Sunday. I liked his poise.
I think McCarthy will be really solid, but so far so good with Danks, too (and Masset).

MRM
04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Please, talk about silly. I think one of the better defensive CFer's in the league could more than handle sliding over and playing left field. That said, I do agree that there was no need for a defensive substitution in tonights game.

Never were an outfielder, were ya? There is a reason Griffey has fought moving to right field and it's not status. There is a HUGE difference in OF positions. To assume it's "no big deal" for Anderson to slide into left is ignorant, at best.

FARMEO
04-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Erstad looks damn good in centerfield. When Thornton was in, in the 8th, there was a hard hit ball that Erstad had to read off the bat to get to. He made the play flawlessly. That would have been a disaster had Mackowiak been out there.

That play was huge and will be over-looked because he made Erstad it look easy.

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Bobby giving up singles should affect who is in the outfield?

Yes I did see tuesdays game. So what? That out come had NOTHING to do with Pods. He was playing in (as he was told to) and he couldn't get to that ball. Do you think for a second that ANDERSON was going to get to it? Get real. Brian is a better fielder but there is no way he has the SPEED to get there in the first place.

You won't see Anderson in LF at all this year...he's not a LF. Live with it.

1. Anderson would have had a prayer in throwing out Bradley at HP unlike Pods who air-mailed to San Jose, CA.

2. I have sat at US Cellualr field the last 3 years Pods has been on this team and something TV cameras will not show is the type of breaks an OF has on the ball. I can guarantee you that I have seen Pods take a break 1-2-3 steps late on a baseball almost 98% of the time the ball is hit to him. This the reason he is no longer play CF.

The difference in making that play in LF (which appeared to have hit Pods in the head) was only 1 step. By seeing the breaks Anderson takes in CF, I am almost 95% sure he would have got to that spot on time to reach up and make that catch.

But we will never know.

And
"You won't see Anderson in LF at all this year...he's not a LF. Live with it"

I don't have to live with it. Kenny and Ozzie will. Why they have him up in the Big Leagues if they don't plan to use him is beyond me. By far he is the best defensive OF we have on this roster right now, and he is no where to be seen when things are getting hairy with a struggling closer.

Tragg
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM

Unfortunately, he's also providing 2006 Anderson-level offense (without Anderson's "power"), with the benefit of the 2 hole and Jim Thome behind him. That won't cut it.

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Never were an outfielder, were ya? There is a reason Griffey has fought moving to right field and it's not status. There is a HUGE difference in OF positions. To assume it's "no big deal" for Anderson to slide into left is ignorant, at best.

Are you kidding me?

Anderson is a converted CF for your information. He was drafted as a corner OF out of Arizona. His range in the corner is the reason the Sox decided to try him out in CF.

jabrch
04-14-2007, 12:40 AM

I was wondering what people would bitch about today. Thanks for clearing that up.

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 12:51 AM
I was wondering what people would bitch about today. Thanks for clearing that up.

Me too.

I was concerned about many things last April (2006), end result we did not make the play-offs.

lakeviewsoxfan
04-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Nice win. :smile: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Jenks velocity IS a concern, but I'm not willing to give up on him eight games into the year, but still when a guy who used to throw 100+ is now topping out at 93 and giving up hits in every outting, it IS call for concern. But some of that might still be the cold. Let's score a bunch of runs tommorrow so we don't have to use Jenks.

Also slightly unnerving is that Javy only threw 5 1/3 and gave up eight hits, but pitched his way out of jams. Obviously I think we'd like it all a lot better for him not to get into jams at all, but pitching out of them is a hell of a lot better than not getting out of them at all..

Pods went 0-5 today, hopefully that won't be a trend.

And Sisco isn't showing me much.

But we put up more runs on the board. Dye came through and Uribe is swinging a hot bat. I don't care if we're hitting "a lot" of homeruns, the plan always has been to get 'em on, get 'em over and get 'em in and today we got 'em on and got 'em in and that's what counts. Let's get 'em tommorrow.

slobes
04-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Overall, very good game. Let's keep it rolling tomorrow.

delben91
04-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Jenks velocity IS a concern, but I'm not willing to give up on him eight games into the year, but still when a guy who used to throw 100+ is now topping out at 93 and giving up hits in every outting, it IS call for concern. But some of that might still be the cold. Let's score a bunch of runs tommorrow so we don't have to use Jenks.

As far as tonight goes, it might also be because he's thrown 4 of the last 5 days. Regardless, he got the save, so I don't care if he underhands it.

Great win, take the series tomorrow boys! :gulp:

Jurr
04-14-2007, 06:38 AM
It's ridiculous. I would have loved to see what half these people would have been writing had they been around in say, 2004, when we had Schoeneweis and Danny Wright in the rotation. Billy Koch was the closer early on. Jeez. How easily we forget how good we have it.

Anyway, a few points to ponder:

1.Great friggin' game. A win's a win. JD is getting his timing back, slowly but surely. He's actually capitalizing on mistakes.
2. Someone talked about Anderson again. If Anderson's defense was THAT good, he'd be taking the place of Podsednik or Erstad in the outfield. If Pods is out there in innings 1-8, you'd figure he'd be okay for the ninth. This arguement is TIRED. Give it up.
3. Jenks didn't get his optimal velocity back last year until May or so. We were all pretty worried for a little while. Thank God he's developed other pitches. As he's figuring things out, let's hope he keeps getting the job done.
4. It's good to see the bottom of the order pulling their weight. Last year, if it wasn't coming from 3-6 in the lineup, it wasn't coming at all, usually.

So far, the Sox have played Cleveland (who's hot out the gate), Minnesota, and Oakland (in Oakland), and they're over .500. They've been competitive in every game except one. So far so good. It's time to get hot, fellas! Let's get a little streak going!:bandance:

FarWestChicago
04-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Me too.

I was concerned about many things last April (2006), end result we did not make the play-offs.Give it a rest you whiner. My gawd. If you won the lotto you would bitch about the taxes you had to pay on free money. :redneck

FarWestChicago
04-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Also slightly unnerving is that Javy only threw 5 1/3 and gave up eight hits, but pitched his way out of jams.That 1.50 ERA must be annoying the piss out of you Javy Haters. :cool:

gaelhound
04-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Very nice to get the first game of this series in the W column.

Bobby is really starting to concern me now. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt during Spring Training and the first week of the season, but now...? At least I'm a little comforted with the knowledge that we have MacDougal if needed.

Let's take at least 2 out of 3 now! :smile:Which of the three scheduled games are you hoping to lose?:wink: Let's sweep!

jabrch
04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Me too.

I was concerned about many things last April (2006), end result we did not make the play-offs.

But in 2005 in April, I'm sure you had no concerns - end result we won the WS - right?

Dibbs
04-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Bobby needs to chill out on that mound too. He's got some MAJOR OCD going on. Twitching, licking fingers, adjusting hat, touching his face, blowing his hand.....he needs to settle down and get composure like a cool closer should.

Rounding_Third
04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
2. Someone talked about Anderson again. If Anderson's defense was THAT good, he'd be taking the place of Podsednik or Erstad in the outfield. If Pods is out there in innings 1-8, you'd figure he'd be okay for the ninth. This arguement is TIRED. Give it up.

Did you miss the 2 snow-cone catches that Pods made on Wednesday? There was virtually no wind and they were very routine plays. In contrast did you see BA's run-saving dive in the same game? It was "THAT good"! I don't think it matters if BA plays LF or CF (with Erstad in LF) but Pods needs to be on the bench in the 9th with the lead.

oeo
04-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Did you miss the 2 snow-cone catches that Pods made on Wednesday? There was virtually no wind and they were very routine plays. In contrast did you see BA's run-saving dive in the same game? It was "THAT good"! I don't think it matters if BA plays LF or CF (with Erstad in LF) but Pods needs to be on the bench in the 9th with the lead.

Now you people are just being difficult. We had a 3-run lead...Brian did not have to be out there; give it up.

DrGozzie
04-14-2007, 11:15 AM
That was one heck of an exciting game! I am so impressed with the way they have worked out of jams lately. The last few games there have been several opportunities for us to blow a lead, many times when there were even runners on 3rd, and we made it out safely. IIRC, we would have lost many of those games last year. This has been nervewracking but fun baseball to watch.

DrGozzie
04-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Bobby needs to chill out on that mound too. He's got some MAJOR OCD going on. Twitching, licking fingers, adjusting hat, touching his face, blowing his hand.....he needs to settle down and get composure like a cool closer should.

He's always like that though. I've been saying (in a serious manner) to my husband for 2 years now - Bobby Jenks has OCD, doncha think?

TomBradley72
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM

Bull****.

Anderson is "gold glove caliber"...and could handle LF with zero problems. I played all three OF positions...it would be no problem for him at all.

TomBradley72
04-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Now you people are just being difficult. We had a 3-run lead...Brian did not have to be out there; give it up.

But what's the downside to having BA out there in the 9th? All it takes is one blown play and a 3 run lead can disappear...and I think it would be good for BA to get more playing time for when we need him to start.

Rounding_Third
04-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Against that Cleveland lineup, a 3-run lead is NOT safe in the 9th. Besides, as much as I like Pod's heart and offensive talent, he's a below average defensive OF. He's unsure of every play, he stabs at every catch, and is lost on his 1st reaction off the bat. BA made the team for his defense. Use him when it counts! It's a no-brainer!

oeo
04-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Against that Cleveland lineup, a 3-run lead is NOT safe in the 9th. Besides, as much as I like Pod's heart and offensive talent, he's a below average defensive OF. He's unsure of every play, he stabs at every catch, and is lost on his 1st reaction off the bat. BA made the team for his defense. Use him when it counts! It's a no-brainer!
You have to get 3 runs with only 3 outs...you're chances are slim, I don't care what offense you have. This is ridiculous...you people would rather BA get his "playing time" for defensive substitutions. I could care a less about his defense, he's already shown he's a stud OF'er...he should be getting his playing time by starting every few days and pinch hitting.

I'm not against giving Brian more at-bats, but he did not have to be out there last night in LF.

I think you guys complain more about Pods in LF this year than you did about Mackowiak in CF last year, and Mackowiak actually blew games.

CLR01
04-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Sure did, never had much of a problem switching positions. Other Players who seem to be able to handle the great complexity of playing multiple outfield positions:

Sox Roster:
Mackowiak- Has played all three doesn’t play them all well but still
Pods- Has played more games in CF
grindErstad

Around the league:
Garret Anderson
Dave Roberts
Jason Michaels
Jason Bay
The “defensive genius” Manny Ramirez has played both LF and RF
Carl Crawford
Barry Bonds
Craig Monroe
Adam Dunn
Lew Ford
Preston Wilson
Frank Catalanatto
Rondell White
Jose Cruz, Jr
David Delluchi
Todd Hollandsworth
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Eric Byrnes
Andruw Jones
Corey Sullivan
Randy Winn
Ryan Freel
Endy Chavez
Shane Victorino
Wily Mo Pena
Coco Crisp
David DeJesus
Mark Kotsay
Marlon Byrd
Ichiro Suzuki
Johnny Damon
Gary Matthews, Jr.
…….There are more I just got tired of looking and typing.

But...but...but...Griffey, Lofton And Bernie Williams never did it, it must be really, really difficult adjusting. Maybe you just had trouble because you should have been at first base or in the library?

Ignorant really is the perfect word.

CLR01
04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm not against giving Brian more at-bats, but he did not have to be out there last night in LF.

^^^
It was a three run lead. If you need your defensive specialist to come in and hold that down your team may have some serious problems.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
As far as tonight goes, it might also be because he's thrown 4 of the last 5 days. Regardless, he got the save, so I don't care if he underhands it.

Great win, take the series tomorrow boys! :gulp:
Yea, I think Bobby is a little tired out there.

BanditJimmy
04-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Give it a rest you whiner. My gawd. If you won the lotto you would bitch about the taxes you had to pay on free money. :redneck

I have to give it to you, that was too funny!!!

I would indeed bitch aobut the taxes !

LOL !!!

FarWestChicago
04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I have to give it to you, that was too funny!!!

I would indeed bitch aobut the taxes !

LOL !!!Actually, I would, too. :D:

PaulDrake
04-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Putting a man in as a defensive replacement late in a tight game is nothing new, and often can be a smart move. Ask Boston fans about a manager's failure to do this in a certain crucial game in 1986. That is the only point I'm trying to make here. I'm not waving a flag for Brian Anderson now, just questioning this point in a general sense.