PDA

View Full Version : Soriano in Center Field

goon
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Just had a hard collision with Cedeno after a bad read on a fly ball, in the 5th inning at Wrigley toady. He didn't hurt himself, at least he seems okay right now, but it could have been worse. At the Astros/Cubs game on Tuesday he had a crap read on a line drive hit by Scott, led to two RBI's.

It's early in the season and he's already almost killed himself, gotta wonder what the Cubs were thinking by putting him in Center.

... I usually don't post stuff about the Cubs, but this seems a bit more relevant than most of the Prior and Wood media coverage.

Jaffar
04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
I've seen some replays that some could argue should have been an error, it's like watching Mackowiak out there last year. Breaks in off the hit then turns around the wrong way to run after it.....lol

WizardsofOzzie
04-13-2007, 04:30 PM
I've seen some replays that some could argue should have been an error, it's like watching Mackowiak out there last year. Breaks in off the hit then turns around the wrong way to run after it.....lol
*Shudders thinking about Mack in CF again*

jenn2080
04-13-2007, 06:03 PM

*Shudders thinking about Mack in CF again*

I tried to repress that part of the season. Thanks :tongue:

TomBradley72
04-13-2007, 06:18 PM
The way the Cubs built their OF is a perfect example of Jim Hendry's desperation to save his job.

Soriano should be in LF, a low cost veteran or Pie should be in CF, and they don't even have a legitimate RF. But thanks to Hendry's "genius" they have a ton of LFs/4th OFs or DHs...Jones, Floyd, Murton, etc..

I love it. I hope they sign Hendry to a long term renewal. :gulp:

JB98
04-13-2007, 06:19 PM
The way the Cubs built their OF is a perfect example of Jim Hendry's desperation to save his job.

Soriano should be in LF, a low cost veteran or Pie should be in CF, and they don't even have a legitimate RF. But thanks to Hendry's "genius" they have a ton of LFs/4th OFs or DHs...Jones, Floyd, Murton, etc..

I love it. I hope they sign Hendry to a long term renewal. :gulp:

Don't forget about Daryl Ward. He's a poor man's version of Cliff Floyd. Talk about signing the same player twice. Sheesh.

Brian26
04-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I was ready to compliment him on the signing of Erstad...until the Sox got him! :D:

FedEx227
04-13-2007, 09:35 PM

There's where errors fails as a meaningful stat. By all accounts, Soriano should be getting errors for these awful plays in center. However, if you don't make contact with the ball it's not technically an error.

But I said it at the beginning of the season, his defense alone will cost them 10-15 games, but hey they don't seem to be in a hurry to change.

oeo
04-13-2007, 11:43 PM

I think even Mackowiak is better than that.

FedEx227
04-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I think even Mackowiak is better than that.

I would definitely go as far as saying Mackowiak is much better. Overall, he's had more experience in the OF as a whole. Soriano had one year in LF in which he led the league in assists (because people ran on him in the first 2 months of the season) and errors, so naturally he moves to the hardest defensive OF position.

At least Mackowiak had a good 3-4 years not only in the majors but also in the minors to hone his OF skills, it was obvious though that he was a Corner OF/3B, but he still had OF skills, Soriano is an awful 2B converted to an OF and told he has "skills" because he's fast. It's about MUCH MUCH more than that. It's all instincts out in center.

DrCrawdad
04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I would definitely go as far as saying Mackowiak is much better. Overall, he's had more experience in the OF as a whole. Soriano had one year in LF in which he led the league in assists (because people ran on him in the first 2 months of the season) and errors, so naturally he moves to the hardest defensive OF position.

At least Mackowiak had a good 3-4 years not only in the majors but also in the minors to hone his OF skills, it was obvious though that he was a Corner OF/3B, but he still had OF skills, Soriano is an awful 2B converted to an OF and told he has "skills" because he's fast. It's about MUCH MUCH more than that. It's all instincts out in center.

And he has NONE.

Who is the Cubbies late inning outfield defensive replacement? That's right no one. All their outfielders are defensively challenged.

It's made worse for Soriano in that each outfielder to his sides is poor.

3B, RF, CF, LF and catcher are all weak defensively. Heck, even the guy who's suppose to be a strong defender, Izturis, made 3 errors the other day.

They really need to bring up Pie and let him play everyday in CF and quietly live with whatever he can give them offensively.

champagne030
04-14-2007, 08:32 AM

Time will tell if Soriano is any better than Mackowiak in CF. I cannot recall a worse CF in MLB history than Mack, but I've thought that Soriano may challenge that this season. That said, Mack wouldn't have touched either ball that brought about this thread.

jabrch
04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
They really need to bring up Pie and let him play everyday in CF and quietly live with whatever he can give them offensively.

The problem with that is that Pie would play CF and Soriano would move to RF. RF in Wrigley isn't an easy place to play, and Soriano has had no practice time out there.

Eitherr way - Hendry did an awful job building his OF on the roster. The point that they have no 4th OF who plays defense is dead on. Every year Hendry screws up something huge. Last year it was not having a viable option to pitch from the #5 spot while banking on Wood and Prior. The year before it was not having a closer. The year before that it was middle relief. He got an extension last year - but really has done a terrible job.

Steelrod
04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
It's a case of spending mega-money to make a flash and not fill a need.
Going into spring training, they weren't sure where he would play. The money would have been better spent on Zito, who filled a glaring need with both Prior and Wood once again not playing. Lilly and Marquis are no better than ok pitchers. It's not so much what you spend, but how you spend it!

TomBradley72
04-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Time will tell if Soriano is any better than Mackowiak in CF. I cannot recall a worse CF in MLB history than Mack, but I've thought that Soriano may challenge that this season. That said, Mack wouldn't have touched either ball that brought about this thread.

Ron Leflore was pretty bad. :o:

chisoxmike
04-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Soriano is not a outfielder, nor is he a leadoff hitter. He would be much better if he hit somewhere in the heart of the lineup.

ondafarm
04-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Soriano is not a outfielder, nor is he a leadoff hitter. He would be much better if he hit somewhere in the heart of the lineup.

Soriano is an exciting player, which is what the Flubs need.

They are not a playoff team. Last year they were boring and losing. This year they are more exciting and may win a few more games, they may even make the playoffs but won't go anywhere.

chisoxmike
04-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Soriano is an exciting player, which is what the Flubs need.

They are not a playoff team. Last year they were boring and losing. This year they are more exciting and may win a few more games, they may even make the playoffs but won't go anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He will help the Cubs a lot, but I think they are misusing him. As for the Cubs in the playoffs, they wont need much to get there. They play in the worst division in the lesser league. But their pitching is awful.

ondafarm
04-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He will help the Cubs a lot, but I think they are misusing him. As for the Cubs in the playoffs, they wont need much to get there. They play in the worst division in the lesser league. But their pitching is awful.

I don't know where you do play a Soriano to use him correctly. Batting him lead off seems to cause the least collateral damage and whom do they have who can better play center field.

The guy does give you 100% effort and I will always applaud a player who does that. On the other hand, if the Sox traded for him, I would seriously question why.

jabrch
04-15-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't know where you do play a Soriano to use him correctly.

DH?

FedEx227
04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
To me hes a 3-4-5 DH with some speed.

The Critic
04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Soriano either has bad baserunning instincts or he's been spacing out, because he's been picked off base 3 times already, twice from 2nd base.
His swing is as long as ever, and he gets bad jumps on almost every ball hit to him. Balls hit directly at or over him are the most problematic for him. That's true for most CF, but for a guy who's never played there it's that much more pronounced.
He'll probably improve a little out there just from repetition, but I'd be surprised if he becomes a passable defensive CF this year or next.
Maybe by Year Eight of his deal, though...:D:

DumpJerry
04-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm so mad Kenny was not able to work out a deal for him last year.

JorgeFabregas
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
If he has to play the field, left is the best spot for him. This is where baseball puts its butchers these days. He posted good defensive stats there last year, relative to the rest of the league.

JorgeFabregas
04-15-2007, 09:27 PM
whom do they have who can better play center field.
Felix Pie.

WizardsofOzzie
04-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Felix Pie.
Not sure if this should be in teal or not

JorgeFabregas
04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Not sure if this should be in teal or not
I didn't mean it to be. I've never seen him play, but I believe he is considered a plus defender. I guess we'll find out now.

cws05champ
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Man, their outfield defense is bad!!! With shuffling all these around to different positions, they misplay sooo many balls. I just watched a couple innings of the game today, and it was pretty bad. If you didn't really pay attention(like a lot of people at Wrigley:D: ) you would think that the balls were just hit in the right spot. A lot of the routes or initial jumps the OF were taking were incorrect and it costs them a few hits a game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Soriano go to LF and Pie in CF platoon with Jones with Murton/Floyd in RF.

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 12:29 AM
You guys are actually excited about Erstad? Would you actually want him over Soriano?

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2007, 01:00 AM
You guys are actually excited about Erstad? Would you actually want him over Soriano?
I'm going to go out and a limb here and say you're a Cubs fan...Soriano is a better offensive player than Erstad (but the season is still young, I wouldn't be shocked if Erstad wound up hitting .280) but Erstad is about a million times better defensively than Soriano. And they both play the MOST critical outfield position. Mack wound up costing us a couple of games last year in CF which could have meant the playoffs. Pitching and defense ultimately wins ballgames, so yea, I'll take Erstad over Soriano in center, key phrase there is "in center", any day.

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm going to go out and a limb here and say you're a Cubs fan...Soriano is a better offensive player than Erstad (but the season is still young, I wouldn't be shocked if Erstad wound up hitting .280) but Erstad is about a ten times better defensively than Soriano. And they both play the MOST critical outfield position. Mack wound up costing us a couple of games last year in CF which could have meant the playoffs. Pitching and defense ultimately wins ballgames, so yea, I'll take Erstad over Soriano in center, key phrase there is "in center", any day.

fixed. :D:

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2007, 01:04 AM
fixed. :D:
No...I've seen Soriano play center. A million is about right.

Bobapples1993
04-21-2007, 10:24 AM
right...:rolleyes:

white-rox1985
04-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Cubs Suck!