PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Sales

Jerry_Manuel
03-23-2002, 10:15 PM
from whitesox.com

The Sox sold more than 52,000 tickets in four hours Saturday as single-game tickets went on sale. The previous record for single-day sales was set last year, when 51,000 tickets were sold.

DrCrawdad
03-24-2002, 12:22 AM
Any reports from those who were at Comiskey Saturday? Were there many out there? How many Cubbie fans?

GASHWOUND
03-24-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Any reports from those who were at Comiskey Saturday? Were there many out there? How many Cubbie fans?

I heard some dude call LH on the Score like at 2 in the morning Saturday morn and he said there were like 13 people waiting in line. Than LW said that was "pathetic" :angry:
But by lookin at the #'s Jer gave I guess it turned out ok

RichH55
03-24-2002, 10:46 AM
I would take this as good news....Except for the Sox-Cubs series and some things like Bobble Head Day and Opening Day I think this is still a very large belief in the Sox fan community about the virtues of walk up sales....I think I was able to get a couple of Sox-Cubs, but I still plan on seeing up to 10-20 games via walkup and that will never show in that 52,000 figure

DrCrawdad
03-24-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I heard some dude call LH on the Score like at 2 in the morning Saturday morn and he said there were like 13 people waiting in line. Than LW said that was "pathetic" :angry:
But by lookin at the #'s Jer gave I guess it turned out ok

I wonder if this was a Cub fan masquerading as a Sox fan?

IMO I've heard quite a few times on the Score people bashing the Sox, with that distinctive Cubbie fan ring, without the caller ever fessing up to being a Cubbie fan and/or the host never calling them on it.

Or as I've heard on occasion, guys call up and talk like they're MR. BASEBALL because they have a sub to Baseball America. I just heard this the other day on the Boers/Bernstein show. This one caller was talking about how fantastic the Cub pitchers are now and going to be. As is the current rage, the caller bashed the Sox pitchers for the high ST ERA's. The caller neglected to mention and the host never called him on the fact that Cub pitching has been just a little better than the Sox.

GASHWOUND
03-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I wonder if this was a Cub fan masquerading as a Sox fan?

IMO I've heard quite a few times on the Score people bashing the Sox, with that distinctive Cubbie fan ring, without the caller ever fessing up to being a Cubbie fan and/or the host never calling them on it.

Or as I've heard on occasion, guys call up and talk like they're MR. BASEBALL because they have a sub to Baseball America. I just heard this the other day on the Boers/Bernstein show. This one caller was talking about how fantastic the Cub pitchers are now and going to be. As is the current rage, the caller bashed the Sox pitchers for the high ST ERA's. The caller neglected to mention and the host never called him on the fact that Cub pitching has been just a little better than the Sox.

I'm not sure if it was a cub fan masquerading as a sox fan, but the guy sounded legit. But I don't know if that # grew as the morn passed like at 6 or 7 in the morn.
As in LH's case, I'm not sure if he's a sox fan or a scrub fan but the way he sounded the other night I would tend to lean to the latter.
I know Bernstein is a sox fan but he wouldn't bring up the fact you brought up, the scrubs have been just as bad in ST in the overall record, but also pitching. Someone like J-Hood or Huebner might have came up with a rebuttle to the callers point though.
But whatcha gonna do

DrCrawdad
03-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I'm not sure if it was a cub fan masquerading as a sox fan, but the guy sounded legit. But I don't know if that # grew as the morn passed like at 6 or 7 in the morn.

ESPN's Baseball Insider they mentioned that there were over 1000 at the Box Office yesterday. I faxed in my Sox Seven order earlier in the week. I understand that many other did the same.

"As in LH's case, I'm not sure if he's a sox fan or a scrub fan but the way he sounded the other night I would tend to lean to the latter.
I know Bernstein is a sox fan but he wouldn't bring up the fact you brought up, the scrubs have been just as bad in ST in the overall record, but also pitching. Someone like J-Hood or Huebner might have came up with a rebuttle to the callers point though.
But whatcha gonna do "

Good point.

hsc1
03-24-2002, 06:33 PM
i was at the ballpark on saturday for the garage sale and i can tell you that there were a ton of people out there.. they had all of the box offices open and they all had lines which stretched around the ball park and parking lots.....there was actually a guy there which had a cub hat and jacket on... that little speck of blue in a sea of silver and black did not go unnoticed.... everyone there had a remark for him.....lol... leave it to a clueless cubfan to show up at comiskey wearing the wrong colors......

Chisoxfn
03-24-2002, 09:04 PM
HSC thats got to be a good sign. Maybe we'll no longer have to have all those debates on how to improve attendance. Still, walk ups are what truly will measure how the Sox sell this season. Personally I've never bought tickets ahead of a game with the exception of this season. Of course I'm talking about going to Angels games and for some reason this year I got my tickets early since they are the first game in the MLB season.

Hopefully we'll have a sellout on opening day and of course we'll have it on the Cubs games but I want to see 35,000+ crowds fro the Tribe, Yanks, Red Sox, Mariners, as well as the Twinkies(well 30k for the Twinks).

LetsGoSox_1
03-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Yeah, we know the Sox/Cubs games and opening day always do outstanding in sales ,but the White Sox attendance will be measured on the Cleveland, Minnesota, Seattle type games.

Cheryl
03-25-2002, 07:53 AM
I got my Opening Day tix over the web. I didn't see the point in hauling down to the park at 9 AM when I could do it from home.

pearso66
03-25-2002, 10:06 AM
i got my opening day ticks online also, not too bad of price, cheaper than ticketmaster

LetsGoSox_1
03-25-2002, 03:25 PM
I bought Sox vs. Cubs, Sox vs. Indians, and Sox vs. Devil Rays when tickets went on sale.

Foulke You
03-26-2002, 01:43 PM
From what I understand, Opening Day and the Cubs series are just about sold out. The Sox seem to be addressing low April attendance by moving popular promotions like Dog Day and Bobble Head day up to April to give attendance a shot in the arm. Lots of Sox fans at Comiskey on Saturday and everyone seems in good spirits and ready for the season to start. We need a hot start this year really badly. Why couldn't we have started in Detroit this year instead of Seattle? I noticed the Flubbies start out against those fearsome Reds! I expect the Cubbie Kool-Aid to flow if the Cubs open the season with a sweep of the lowly Reds. I also expect the wrists of Sox fans to slit if we do poorly in Seattle. Hopefully we'll take 2 of 3.

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I also expect the wrists of Sox fans to slit if we do poorly in Seattle. Hopefully we'll take 2 of 3.

Well, after the Seattle series, the Sox don't have to face a tough team until April 26-28, when they go to Oakland. Hopefully playing Kansas City, Baltimore, Detroit, and Cleveland will give the Sox some momentum in April.