PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Players Honoring Jackie??

FireMariotti
04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2835201

Is it a bad thing that so many players, even entire teams have decided to wear Jackie's number on the 15th?

I think it might be a little too much for 150 players to wear the number, but I'm more concerned about guys like Torii Hunter claiming that he is more worthy of wearing the number than other people.

IMO, all players, regardless of race, owe a debt to Jackie. He helped make an overall better game.

If baseball is going honor him this way, it should be all-inclusive or nobody should be allowed to wear the number.

chaerulez
04-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't agree with the entire teams except for the Dodgers doing it. Like it was said, it kind of waters down the tribute. I'd keep it one player on each team. And I agree, you can wear the number regardless of race. I think it would be nice if a few non African American players decided to wear the number.

Chicken Dinner
04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
The only person that should be wearing 42 is Mariano Rivera.

VivaOzzie
04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous that Torii Hunter says that it 'waters down' the idea. I think that if everyone were to wear #42 (which I'll admit would look kind of weird), it would help to promote the cause that Jackie Robinson stood for. I'm sure that IJO (in Jackie's opinion), all people are in essence the same, regardless or race or anything else. If everyone wore #42, I think it would emphasize the fact that we are all people, and all equal. If only selected people wear #42, what does that say about everyone who doesn't wear the number? Do they not champion Jackie's cause? Or are they just not in the same group as Jackie (African-American)? Should only African-Americans be allowed to wear #42, or are they more allowed to than other races? If so, I think this would completely go against what Jackie Robinson stood for, that all people are people, equal and the same.

I see absolutely no problem with, and would probably encourage, entire teams wearing #42. Except that it will make the games pretty hard to announce or watch to a casual fan.

Fenway
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
On the Red Sox it is Coco Crisp who is the only black on the team

Uncle_Patrick
04-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't see how many players wearing #42 "waters" down the tribute. It seems to me to be a good thing that many players want to honor Jackie Robinson. I don't think it should only be black players wearing the number either. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in the MLB. To say or imply that only people of one race should be honoring Jackie seems to be the antithesis of what we'd be honoring Jackie for.

Fenway
04-12-2007, 09:13 PM

Think the Yankees will retire 42 for him? :tongue:

MUsoxfan
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Think the Yankees will retire 42 for him? :tongue:

Sure. Marquette retired '31' twice for Rivers and Ellis

TheMilkman
04-12-2007, 11:21 PM

One player is wearing 42 to honor Rivera

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/jeff_kent_to_wear_no_42_to

goofymsfan
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I think a more fitting tribute would be for all players to wear the number. Not on the back but on the sleeve and/or on the side of the cap. Everyone in baseball should honor Jackie. The Dodgers are the only team I could see wearing the number on their backs since he was a member of their team.

spawn
04-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't see how many players wearing #42 "waters" down the tribute. It seems to me to be a good thing that many players want to honor Jackie Robinson. I don't think it should only be black players wearing the number either. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in the MLB. To say or imply that only people of one race should be honoring Jackie seems to be the antithesis of what we'd be honoring Jackie for.
I completely agree. I wish Darin Erstad would wear it, because I think Jackie was the ultimate grinder, and although nowhere near as good as Jackie was, Erstad is the closest to Jackie on the field as anyone on the club. And I don't buy the watered down argument either. I guarantee there are a lot of kids who have know idea who Jackie Robinson is. Seeing so many players wearing #42 will get these kids asking questions, wondering why so many people are wearing it. Kids will learn what Jackie did for the game of baseball. How is this a bad thing, Torii???

Jaffar
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I personally would love to see PK wearing number 42. He is the face of our franchise and the captain of our team. I think if you have to be African American to wear it then Jackie didn't really accomplish what he and Branch Rickey (sp?) set out to do.

FedEx227
04-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I completely agree. I wish Darin Erstad would wear it, becuase I think Jackie was the ultimate grinder, and although nowhere near as good as Jackie was, Erstad is the closest to Jackie on the field as anyone on the club.

:thud:

In what ways was Jackie Robinson a grinder? He actually got on base a respectable amount, could actually field his position, didn't strike out more than 50 times in a season and had blazing speed?

wdelaney72
04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
My resonse to the thread title is, "no"... I don't feel there caould every be "too much".

Bucky F. Dent
04-13-2007, 09:31 AM
T. Hunter was on PTI last night trying to explain himself. He said that his concern was that too many guys were going to wear Jackie's number who did not necessarily understand the contribution that Jackie made, and everything that he had to go through to make that contribution.

Now I would agree with Hunter that it is more important for guys to understand the contribution than it is for them to wear the jersey for one night, but on the other hand, I'm not sure how Hunter can say that fill-in-the-blank player does not know what Jackie went through.

Jaffar
04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
T. Hunter was on PTI last night trying to explain himself. He said that his concern was that too many guys were going to wear Jackie's number who did not necessarily understand the contribution that Jackie made, and everything that he had to go through to make that contribution.

Now I would agree with Hunter that it is more important for guys to understand the contribution than it is for them to wear the jersey for one night, but on the other hand, I'm not sure how Hunter can say that fill-in-the-blank player does not know what Jackie went through.

Tori Hunter was never told he couldn't play Major League Baseball because he is black so how does he "know" exactly what Jackie went through to start with? I never liked Tori to start with so I like him even less now. He is basically doing what he claims others are doing by putting himself in the spotlight and calling out others for doing it to get attention....does that make sense?

soxinem1
04-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Tori Hunter was never told he couldn't play Major League Baseball because he is black so how does he "know" exactly what Jackie went through to start with? I never liked Tori to start with so I like him even less now. He is basically doing what he claims others are doing by putting himself in the spotlight and calling out others for doing it to get attention....does that make sense?

Not only that, Torii makes more in one plate appearance than Robinson made in a year. He didn't have to beat around and sleep in old buses to play in the Negro Leagues, either.

So while Torii goes around shooting his mouth off flying charter and sleeping in penthouse hotel suites, should anyone even play attention to him?

spawn
04-13-2007, 10:30 AM
:thud:

In what ways was Jackie Robinson a grinder? He actually got on base a respectable amount, could actually field his position, didn't strike out more than 50 times in a season and had blazing speed?
You're kidding me right? What is your definition of a grinder? A grinder IMO is someone who does whatever he can to help his team win a game. Jackie did whatever he could to get on base, and come around to score. Any person that can steal home is a grinder in my book. So again, I ask you: what is your definition of a grinder?

Uncle_Patrick
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I completely agree. I wish Darin Erstad would wear it, because I think Jackie was the ultimate grinder, and although nowhere near as good as Jackie was, Erstad is the closest to Jackie on the field as anyone on the club. And I don't buy the watered down argument either. I guarantee there are a lot of kids who have know idea who Jackie Robinson is. Seeing so many players wearing #42 will get these kids asking questions, wondering why so many people are wearing it. Kids will learn what Jackie did for the game of baseball. How is this a bad thing, Torii???

Honestly, I think Torii wants to feel like he was one of a select few who were "worthy" enough to honor Jackie Robinson. Now, with a 150 players wearing the number, maybe Torii feels less special. Personally, I think every player wearing the number should feel honored. Everyone should feel proud that Jackie's impact and contribution is being honored by players of all races.

Torii has no idea what anyone else's motives are so he should just ****.

eaganmafia
04-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I disagree with Torii, but I think he means well.

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Honestly, I think Torii wants to feel like he was one of a select few who were "worthy" enough to honor Jackie Robinson. Now, with a 150 players wearing the number, maybe Torii feels less special. Personally, I think every player wearing the number should feel honored. Everyone should feel proud that Jackie's impact and contribution is being honored by players of all races.

Torii has no idea what anyone else's motives are so he should just ****.

This is exactly it. The only thing it "waters down" is the honor that Torii gets for wearing Jackies number. How could having more people pay tribute to him water down the tribute? And for Torii or anyone else to even suggest that you would have to be black to appreciate and understand what Jackie did for baseball and society as a whole is just ridiculous. I don't know, Torii, maybe you have to be white to understand how big of a tool you are.

FedEx227
04-13-2007, 09:29 PM
You're kidding me right? What is your definition of a grinder? A grinder IMO is someone who does whatever he can to help his team win a game. Jackie did whatever he could to get on base, and come around to score. Any person that can steal home is a grinder in my book. So again, I ask you: what is your definition of a grinder?

grind - er
noun

1. Term used to describe a below-average Caucasian baseball player who typically hits for a low average and low on-base percentage but makes up for it by doing 'whatever it takes to win' without any tangible evidence of the such. Player typically shaves every 3rd day to allow for increased grittiness.

FireMariotti
04-14-2007, 06:13 AM
grind - er
noun

1. Term used to describe a below-average Caucasian baseball player who typically hits for a low average and low on-base percentage but makes up for it by doing 'whatever it takes to win' without any tangible evidence of the such. Player typically shaves every 3rd day to allow for increased grittiness.

How dare you talk about Aaron in that way!:redneck

chaerulez
04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Although I still don't agree with entire teams wearing the number besides the Dodgers, it seems Willie Randolph wouldn't let anyone else on the Mets, including the African Americans wear 42. To me that's not right.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spjackie135169456apr13,0,710639.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines