PDA

View Full Version : "Very Slim" - Tori on chances of returning to Twins in '08

WhiteSoxFan84
04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Tori Hunter was just on ESPNews and was asked how good were the chances of him returning to the Minnesota Twins in 2008, his response, "Very slim". He then was asked what it would take to bring him back and with a smile he said, "Pay me!"

Great interview. Really liked it. As much as most Sox fans hate this guy, he's a very smart guy. He also is disappointed that a handful of teams are asking all their players to wear # 42 on Sunday. Without actually saying it, he said he wants only the black players to wear # 42 because it means more to them and all of them know what it's all about.

TCentral
04-12-2007, 06:56 PM
On the local radio Hunter is talking about how he will do everything in his power to stay in town. He makes it known that he wants a contract but even implies a hometown discount. The Twins should worry about their more valuable players (Morneau, Santana) before even thinking about paying Hunter.

FedEx227
04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Great interview. Really liked it. As much as most Sox fans hate this guy, he's a very smart guy. He also is disappointed that a handful of teams are asking all their players to wear # 42 on Sunday. Without actually saying it, he said he wants only the black players to wear # 42 because it means more to them and all of them know what it's all about.

Ugh, no he wasn't just for blacks Torii. He broke down barriers that has made society as a whole much better. That's like saying only black kids should get Martin Luther King Day off from school.

So whites shouldn't respect Jackie and wear the #42 to honor him, they should just ignore it like it was nothing.

Doesn't sound like a smart guy to me at all.

TCentral
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Ugh, no he wasn't just for blacks Torii. He broke down barriers that has made society as a whole much better. That's like saying only black kids should get Martin Luther King Day off from school.

So whites shouldn't respect Jackie and wear the #42 to honor him, they should just ignore it like it was nothing.

Doesn't sound like a smart guy to me at all.

It does almost seem like Torii is one who doesnt understand. Its not just about African Americans, it more about breaking down the color barrier for all races of humans. Indeed it was a black player who out of courage broke down the barrier, however its a lot bigger than that.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2007, 07:32 PM
It does almost seem like Torii is one who doesnt understand. Its not just about African Americans, it more about breaking down the color barrier for all races of humans. Indeed it was a black player who out of courage broke down the barrier, however its a lot bigger than that.
Well...the way I heard it was it sounded like Torii was saying "There are some guys who are doing this just to be cool and not because of what Jackie Robinson did." That may be the case, I'm not so sure. But when I heard it, it didn't strike me as a particularly ignorant or stupid comment.

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Well...the way I heard it was it sounded like Torii was saying "There are some guys who are doing this just to be cool and not because of what Jackie Robinson did." That may be the case, I'm not so sure. But when I heard it, it didn't strike me as a particularly ignorant or stupid comment.

That is extremely different from what you said before "Without actually saying it, he said he wants only the black players to wear # 42 because it means more to them and all of them know what it's all about."

If he doesn't want people to wear it because he doesn't think they respect what Robinson did, then that's fine. But if he doesn't want people to wear it because he doesn't think they can respect what Robinson did because they are not black is ridiculous and idiotic.

oeo
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Honestly, the Twins probably have a better long term option waiting...they always do. Torii is not even the Gold Glover that he was (he actually looks terrible out there now a lot of times because he still thinks he can make plays that he could make earlier in his career)...they shouldn't waste the money, and I don't think they will.

soxinem1
04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
If JD. Drew could get what he got, someone will be sending a river of $$$$ to the Hunter Residence in about seven months.

ewokpelts
04-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Tori Hunter was just on ESPNews and was asked how good were the chances of him returning to the Minnesota Twins in 2008, his response, "Very slim". He then was asked what it would take to bring him back and with a smile he said, "Pay me!"

Great interview. Really liked it. As much as most Sox fans hate this guy, he's a very smart guy. He also is disappointed that a handful of teams are asking all their players to wear # 42 on Sunday. Without actually saying it, he said he wants only the black players to wear # 42 because it means more to them and all of them know what it's all about.once again, torii give me more ammunition against him. a complete classless jagbag

Foulke You
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
The Torii Hunter of 3 or 4 years ago would be worth opening the wallet for but in recent years, he seems like he has lost a step or two in CF. I think all those years playing in the dome have taken a toll on his legs. Don't get me wrong, he is still a quality ballplayer but not worth the money his reputation will get him.

ewokpelts
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
The Torii Hunter of 3 or 4 years ago would be worth opening the wallet for but in recent years, he seems like he has lost a step or two in CF. I think all those years playing in the dome have taken a toll on his legs. Don't get me wrong, he is still a quality ballplayer but not worth the money his reputation will get him.and he's a jerk

eaganmafia
04-13-2007, 11:59 AM
and he's a jerk

Why's he a jerk?

ma-gaga
04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Why's he a jerk?

heh... This sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

So, what's with all these Twins fans showing up? Eagan, How'd you find this site?? Are you a "rube"?

TDog
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
The Torii Hunter of 3 or 4 years ago would be worth opening the wallet for but in recent years, he seems like he has lost a step or two in CF. I think all those years playing in the dome have taken a toll on his legs. Don't get me wrong, he is still a quality ballplayer but not worth the money his reputation will get him.

That is exactly why it's not smart to give players long-term contracts. If any team had opened their wallets for Torii Hunter 3 or 4 years ago, and he now were playing in the fifth year of a megacontract, he obviously wouldn't be worth it. He will probably get a sweet deal in the offseason, and he will be farther away from being worth it.

Lip Man 1
04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
There's a story in S.I. this week (Woods on cover) talking about Santana who is a free agent after the '08 season.

The story says since he and the Twins haven't been able to come up with an extension by his deadline of this opening day, he's broken off talks with Minnesota and won't speak to them again about it until he files for free agency.

Minnesota offered a 2 year extension at roughly 18 million (total) but he is asking for Zito money.

Lip

chisoxmike
04-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Why's he a jerk?

This is pretty interesting. All the "sudden":rolleyes: Twins fans are showing up again. Jumping the gun on your 6-3 start uh boys?????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: rolleyes::rolleyes:

cwsfannick
04-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Sept. of 2005 Minneapolis papers were speculating that Tori was gone when he put his house up for sale.

The loss of Santana will be much greater to the Twins organization than Hunter's departure. There are definitely two fan favorites Mauer and Santana. Everybody else on that team is secondary.

munchman33
04-14-2007, 11:15 AM
There's a story in S.I. this week (Woods on cover) talking about Santana who is a free agent after the '08 season.

The story says since he and the Twins haven't been able to come up with an extension by his deadline of this opening day, he's broken off talks with Minnesota and won't speak to them again about it until he files for free agency.

Minnesota offered a 2 year extension at roughly 18 million (total) but he is asking for Zito money.

Lip

I would give him Zito money in a heartbeat. He's worth a lot more on the open market.

IndianWhiteSox
04-14-2007, 11:17 AM
If JD. Drew could get what he got, someone will be sending a river of $$$$ to the Hunter Residence in about seven months.

The Yankees would probably do that.

ma-gaga
04-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Lip

This story has been going around the Twins blogosphere, and debunked by the Star Tribune's beat writers; HERE (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/?p=104)

It's got some good quotes from Santana. Here's a snippet:

Johan Santana today said he has not cut off negotiations with the Twins over a contract extension and said he did not know of the team making a two-year extension offer. His words directly refuted a story today by si.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/04/11/baseball0416/index.html).
ďIím wondering who said that because as far as I know I havenít talked to anybody about anything. And Iím pretty sure that you guys [Twin Cities reporters] would be the first to know because you are always around. So it doesnít make any sense that any of you would make those kind of comments.

So the SI writer was either making stuff up, or referencing a bad "league" source, or Johan flat out lied to the beat writer who he sees and works with every day. ... IMO, this falls into the category of; who's motives do you trust? There lies the truth.

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Ma Ga-Ga:

This is from Phil Rogers' column tonight (Sunday) at the Tribune. I don't know if Santana is still talking with Minnesota or not:

"Before contract talks broke off between Johan Santana and the Twins, baseball's best pitcher is believed to have had put the team on notice that he wants a contract at least as long as Barry Zito's eight-year deal with San Francisco. Why wouldn't he?

"I'm going to be honest," Santana told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I would like to stay here forever. Now, how many years would they be willing to offer? Hopefully I could do lifetime. That would answer your question because that's what I would like."

There's no urgency to these talks, as Santana is committed to the Twins through 2008. But you can bet GM Terry Ryan will carefully handicap his chances of doing a long-term deal as he decides whether to let him go the distance in Minnesota or trade him when his value is highest.

Ryan is the guy who somehow got Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Bonser from San Francisco for A.J. Pierzynski and Eric Milton, and Cristian Guzman for an unhappy Chuck Knoblauch. If the Twins fade by the July 31 deadline, he can ask a king's ransom for Santana and center fielder Torii Hunter, a free agent after this season."

Lip

ma-gaga
04-16-2007, 11:05 AM
This is from Phil Rogers' column tonight (Sunday) at the Tribune. I don't know if Santana is still talking with Minnesota or not:

"Before contract talks broke off...

I don't know if they are still talking either.

From what I can gather from the Twins blogosphere. The Twins typically don't make in-season requests to extend players contracts. If Santana wants to sign an extension, he will have to request it. The Twins try to do all their contract work during the off-season.

It sounds like they aren't actively working on the extension, but neither side has "broke off" or walked away from the table, or whatever analogy you want to use.

:cool:

The Immigrant
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
It sounds like they aren't actively working on the extension, but neither side has "broke off" or walked away from the table, or whatever analogy you want to use.

Fair enough, but it also sounds like Johan is waiting for a Zito-like offer in order to stay with the Twins long-term. His statements are clear that although he would prefer to stay in Minny for the remainder of his career, he's also looking for a deal that recognizes his fair market value.

The question for you is whether the Twins are likely to offer him a deal close to the one the Astros gave Oswalt, because that may be the minimum that would be required for Ryan to re-sign Johan before he tests free agency.

ewokpelts
04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
The Yankees would probably do that.johnny damon is healthier, and hits better. oh, and already under contract.

ma-gaga
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
The question for you is whether the Twins are likely to offer him a deal close to the one the Astros gave Oswalt, because that may be the minimum that would be required for Ryan to re-sign Johan before he tests free agency.

5 year - $73mm (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060829&content_id=1635013&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou)? Yes, I've got to believe, that deal would get done.

7 year - $126mm (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061228&content_id=1768110&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp)?? No, I don't think that this deal would get done.

I'm guessing the Twins will try to get him signed to a 4 year extension after this year, and I don't know what it will take to get that accomplished. If I were to guess, it would probably be somewhere between $75mm - $80mm.

:gulp:

UserNameBlank
04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
If the Twins fade by the July 31 deadline, he can ask a king's ransom for Santana and center fielder Torii Hunter, a free agent after this season."

Lip
I think a Santana trade would redefine the expression 'king's ransom.' He has to be worth like 3 top prospects, a major league starting position player, and a bullpen guy or two. Man, now that I think if it maybe I don't want the Twins to trade Johan. They could build a whole new team from the type of package he could fetch.

palehozenychicty
04-17-2007, 02:42 PM
I think a Santana trade would redefine the expression 'king's ransom.' He has to be worth like 3 top prospects, a major league starting position player, and a bullpen guy or two. Man, now that I think if it maybe I don't want the Twins to trade Johan. They could build a whole new team from the type of package he could fetch.

This is why the Twins are so annoying to begin with. Johan is by far their best pitcher. Thus, when they get to the postseason, if he loses a start, they're cooked. Their lack of player depth doesn't help matters either.

ewokpelts
04-17-2007, 05:01 PM
This is why the Twins are so annoying to begin with. Johan is by far their best pitcher. Thus, when they get to the postseason, if he loses a start, they're cooked. Their lack of player depth doesn't help matters either.
:hurt

You rang?