PDA

View Full Version : One Reporter(me) feels others in Media should keep New Press Box gripes to themselves

Grobber33
04-12-2007, 04:29 PM
After reading and listening to stuff in the Papers and on Radio this past week I was prompted to counter on my web site:

First of all,a few points on where the Media is seated at games......
A)The PAYING CUSTOMERS should always be taken care of FIRST. That has always been my opinion,and it remains that way! Any of my colleagues who disagree are being arrogant,and self serving....
B)If any Reporters are unhappy with certain seating arrangements(and I admit,I haven't always been thrilled with certain setups)then deal with the Team itself,otherwise KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Fans not only don't give a rats,uh(behind) about that crap,most are thrilled to see the Media have a tough time! They enjoy it when reporters are not given the 'keys to the castle'. 99%--no maybe 100% of the paying customers do not want to hear it!....
C)This trend will only expand even more. Clubs are completely enjoying seeing the Media get pissed off over reduced 'choice' locations. They are out to make money,and in some(not all)team's cases,they get a big time kick out of tweaking the media and shoving them further away from what has been a traditional set up.

The entire article in at www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com/)

Fenway
04-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Les

Did the media ever complain that the hockey press box at The Stadium was behind a goal?

Rocky Soprano
04-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I applaud you. I actually visit your site ever so often and enjoy your work.

chisoxmike
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Les-

Nice work. As a fan, its annoying to hear media members complain about attending a free sports game. Even though it is work, they go to sports games for a living - in Chicago! They should be thankful they're not in some middle of nowhere town covering high school games.

Is the view that worse in the new box? I interned at one of the local stations last spring and had the privilege of attending two games with a reporter in the old press box. I have to say nothing beat the game with the windows open at night and the view was fantastic. I've heard that Comiskey Park towers over many other parks in MLB in terms of press boxes and how the team treats the media members.

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
After reading and listening to stuff in the Papers and on Radio this past week I was prompted to counter on my web site:

First of all,a few points on where the Media is seated at games......
A)The PAYING CUSTOMERS should always be taken care of FIRST. That has always been my opinion,and it remains that way! Any of my colleagues who disagree are being arrogant,and self serving....
B)If any Reporters are unhappy with certain seating arrangements(and I admit,I haven't always been thrilled with certain setups)then deal with the Team itself,otherwise KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Fans not only don't give a rats,uh(behind) about that crap,most are thrilled to see the Media have a tough time! They enjoy it when reporters are not given the 'keys to the castle'. 99%--no maybe 100% of the paying customers do not want to hear it!....
C)This trend will only expand even more. Clubs are completely enjoying seeing the Media get pissed off over reduced 'choice' locations. They are out to make money,and in some(not all)team's cases,they get a big time kick out of tweaking the media and shoving them further away from what has been a traditional set up.

The entire article in at www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

Excellent Les. You are 1000% right, unlike other dopes.

DannyCaterFan
04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Nice comments. Les ! You are the first member of the media that is speaking with a fan's viewpoint. Why shouldn't the Sox sell seats in an area that is as attractive as that spot is? You will soon see other MLB teams following suit.

DumpJerry
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
:thumbsup:

SOXPHILE
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Nice article Les. I take it this stems from last weeks article from Lil' Teddy Greenstein, crying about this very thing. He even mentioned that a formal complaint was being lodged about this slight. The article even had a picture of the terrible view of the field that he and his persecuted brethren now had. I remember thinking "I wouldn't mind paying for and sitting in those seats". He really came across as a whiny little turd. "OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL ! THEY'VE MOVED THE PRESS BOX WHERE WE WATCH THE GAMES FROM !! NOW WE HAVE TO STRAIN TO SEE FROM THE FIRST BASE LINE !!! AND NOT ONLY THAT, THE SALAD FORKS WE USE TO EAT OUR FREE PRESS BOX FOOD AREN'T EVEN CHILLED !!!!!

ondafarm
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Nice article, Les. Back when the media actually produced intelligent analysis, I guess I didn't mind them sitting in the great spots they did. I don't think Greenstein has produced anything in the last year worth reading, let alone worth him getting prime seats over. His only regular reader that I know of his a parakeet and that's because his cage is lined with the Tribune's sports section.

bridgeportcopper
04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Bravo Les!

hose
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Les you nailed it.:thumbsup:

mshake10
04-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Nice article Les. I take it this stems from last weeks article from Lil' Teddy Greenstein, crying about this very thing. He even mentioned that a formal complaint was being lodged about this slight. The article even had a picture of the terrible view of the field that he and his persecuted brethren now had. I remember thinking "I wouldn't mind paying for and sitting in those seats". He really came across as a whiny little turd. "OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL ! THEY'VE MOVED THE PRESS BOX WHERE WE WATCH THE GAMES FROM !! NOW WE HAVE TO STRAIN TO SEE FROM THE FIRST BASE LINE !!! AND NOT ONLY THAT, THE SALAD FORKS WE USE TO EAT OUR FREE PRESS BOX FOOD AREN'T EVEN CHILLED !!!!!
I find it hilarious that a columinst, who's current job is to write about the media, is being called a whiny little turd for doing his job. And he's not even the one complaining about it.

Salad forks? :?:

Just curious, were the visiting TV/radio crews moved as well? The article doesn't really make that clear. If broadcasting crews are indeed being moved far back in favor of the all mighty dollar, then there is a problem. They're thinking about doing this for SIU basketball, and our broadcast crew is certinally going to be screwed over as a result.

Grobber33
04-13-2007, 05:14 PM
(quote)
Just curious, were the visiting TV/radio crews moved as well? The article doesn't really make that clear. If broadcasting crews are indeed being moved far back in favor of the all mighty dollar, then there is a problem. They're thinking about doing this for SIU basketball, and our broadcast crew is certainly going to be screwed over as a result.[/quote]

None of the Play by Play booths were moved. Baseball won't allow that. The Press Box inself is two levels higher and of course as has been mentioned,down the right field line.
The NBA has screwed the Play by Play crews for the most part-just ask Neil Funk! The Bulls are one of a hand full of NBA teams that still have the Radio P x P crews on the floor. TV guys still get priority. National TV crews get top billing location wise by order of the League
The Official Scorer also has remained behind the plate so 'Rosey' is nowhere near us during games.
What is different from the old Press Box? The view quite obviously since there is no way we can see where pitches are,thus the flat screen TV's were installed--but if the TV crew doesn't replay certain items,we don't see them,and neither do the viewers at Home--but that's nothing new.
Someone here asked me how the Sox PR people are. They are all great people and are doing the best they can. I have no complaints at all. Besides,the PR Department didn't make this move,it was the Marketing Dept with Jerry's approval of course(and it took him about 1 second to approve this move).
My viewpoint does not change when I say that paying customers MUST be taken care of first and foremost.

Scottiehaswheels
04-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Here's the thing I don't get... If the views are soooo important to the reporters covering the games... Why not just ask their editor? to have the paper/blog/whatever purchase seats in the same location as you previously had. Its not like they can't write it off as a business expense...

ewokpelts
04-14-2007, 11:19 PM
To anyone that feels the press are getting shafted: Look at the back of the sox media guide. it point sout all the freebies and perks media members get, INCLUDING FOUR FREE TICKETS TO ANY GAME THEY WANT(with an option to buy more tickets).

Oh, and they dont have to pay to sit in the press box(with the amazing ****ing view).

getonbckthr
04-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Is this really Les or some guy being a smartass and pretending to be Les?

Daver
04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Is this really Les or some guy being a smartass and pretending to be Les?

That is Mr. Grobstein, he has been an active member of this forum for a few years.

Frontman
04-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Bravo Les. Glad to see someone who puts it all into perspective! Yes, paying customers should be treated better. (This also goes to the one's who complain about better treatment if you have higher price tickets. If you paid 30 for your ticket, don't gripe about the guy who paid 300 for his having a better view.)

Say, do you like the new cabinetry and countertops in the press boxes? I sorta know one of the guys who worked on 'em! :wink: