PDA

View Full Version : Twins' New Ballpark Renderings Released

Sportscaster17
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Seems like this has been a two-decade battle, but the place does look pretty spiffy.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2007/0412/20070412_095351_right_field_500_GALLERY.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2007/0412/20070412_095422_3rd_base_500_GALLERY.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2007/0412/20070412_095452_6th_street_500_GALLERY.jpg

Come to think of it... if the winds are blowing right, those upper-level left field seats could be BRUTAL.

Law11
04-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Hopefully they'll open the seasons at home...

Actually looks like a geat place to see a game.

Baby Fisk
04-12-2007, 03:02 PM
That uppermost deck looks insanely high. We as Sox fans know all about that sort of thing. At least there's a roof.

Mr.1Dog
04-12-2007, 03:03 PM
It kind of looks like Comerica.

sox1970
04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Looks good. My annual trip to the Dome will not be missed.

Rocky Soprano
04-12-2007, 03:08 PM
If you play in the Midwest and are getting a new park, why not get a retractable roof?

soxfan13
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
If you play in the Midwest and are getting a new park, why not get a retractable roof?

Just asked a guy I work with who is a Twins fan and from the area. He said it all had to do with the funding and they struggled to get what they have now. The roof would have added around 300 million more and that just wasnt going to happen. He also said something about the Twins having to sue (or something to that affect ) for the land they are building on.

Sportscaster17
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
The state and Hennepin County wouldn't put up the extra money to pay for it. And neither would the team. So basically it came down to either no roof or no team.

Fenway
04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
It looks like an actual ballpark!

Beats the stupid Pimple On the Prairie.

But you know that Opening Day of the park it will be
-20 and blizzarding.

You thought it was cold in Cleveland ...

TwinKess
04-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Here are some more and larger pictures, including some archetectural drawings.

http://www.startribune.com/10136/gallery/1116544.html

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
It looks pretty much the same as it did when the roof was still in play:

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk03.jpg

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk02.jpg

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk01.jpg

TwinKess
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM

Those are the drawings from St. Paul's failed attempt at luring the Twins across town.

ewokpelts
04-12-2007, 03:59 PM

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk03.jpg

a much better design...the final design looks liek meigs field; the ballpark

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Those are the drawings from St. Paul's failed attempt at luring the Twins across town.

Not according to the Munsey & Suppes website:

Location: In the Warehouse District, just north of Target Center in downtown Minneapolis.

Phil Bradley
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM

C'mon! Its baseball and its the Midwest. its supposed to be outdoors. Yes, it will be cold sometimes and it may rain or snow, but May-September, it will be just fine. They played in Met for years and managed just fine.

Rocky Soprano
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Just asked a guy I work with who is a Twins fan and from the area. He said it all had to do with the funding and they struggled to get what they have now. The roof would have added around 300 million more and that just wasnt going to happen. He also said something about the Twins having to sue (or something to that affect ) for the land they are building on.

300 million? WOW, I had no idea it was that much.

With the weather we have in April, something needs to happen. I froze my ass off this past weekend.

INSox56
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Anyone else only see one bullpen?

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
C'mon! Its baseball and its the Midwest. its supposed to be outdoors. Yes, it will be cold sometimes and it may rain or snow, but May-September, it will be just fine. They played in Met for years and managed just fine.

Retractable roofs allow you to play outdoors.

Rocky Soprano

Well isnt that the beauty of have a retractable roof? If its nice the game is still outside and if its cold, raining, snowing, you can close the roof.

jabrch
I'm shocked that they'd build a stadium in MINNEAPOLIS and not put a roof on it. They have walkways to get from all their buildings downtown - but they won't put a roof on a baseball stadium where they will play in April, September and possibly October?

I'll have absolutely no sympathy for any of their bitching about spring/fall weather if they do this.

TwinKess
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Not according to the Munsey & Suppes website:

Location: In the Warehouse District, just north of Target Center in downtown Minneapolis.

Pay attention to the skyline in the top picture. That is St. Paul's skyline. The tallest building is the Wells Fargo tower in St. Paul, and the one with the pyramid on top is the Lawson Software building.

BanditJimmy
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM
The A's new park stomps this one by far.

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Pay attention to the skyline in the top picture. That is St. Paul's skyline. The tallest building is the Wells Fargo tower in St. Paul, and the one with the pyramid on top is the Lawson Software building.

I have no idea what the skyline in Minny or St. Paul looks like. I'm just going by what the website says.

TwinKess
04-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I have no idea what the skyline in Minny or St. Paul looks like. I'm just going by what the website says.

Oh ok. Just compare the skylines of that picture and the second picture from the top in the first post.

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Dont really care for the outside...

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/twins2007902.jpg

The Immigrant
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Oh ok. Just compare the skylines of that picture and the second picture from the top in the first post.

They both look equally depressing.

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM

I saw that and assumed the location maybe was different and providied a diferent perspective of Minny.

Sportscaster17
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
That exterior view looks kind of like the Staples Center in LA.

http://www.cdc-usa.com/w3/projects/images/staples.jpg

DSpivack
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Outdoor ballpark in Minnesota? Doth no one learn from this month's crazy weather?

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Outdoor ballpark in Minnesota? Doth no one learn from this month's crazy weather?

Its not like they dont want a roof. They dont have the funds dude.

jabrch
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Its not like they dont want a roof. They dont have the funds dude.

Then stay put.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-12-2007, 06:35 PM
This will make Tropicana Field the only non-retractable dome left. There is no artificial grass in any National League park and no more circular, cookie cutter parks at all. The horrible mistakes in ballpark design that took place from the 60s to the 90s are almost undone. Hooray for progress.

The Immigrant
04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Who needs a roof when you can just open your season in Milwaukee instead.

doublem23
04-12-2007, 06:44 PM
So the Twins will be playing outside before the Vikings?

Silly.

TCentral
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I am happy for the Twins... they are doing it like they should. Retractable roof stadiums are hideous looking and the gameday atmosphere is greatly compromised. These stadiums feel like domes whether the roof is open or shut. 10-15 years from now, the teams with these ugly retractable roof stadiums will be crying for a real outdoor stadium like the baseball gods intended. The only retractable that doesnt compromise the expirience too much is Safeco.

Red Barchetta
04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Anything is better than losing balls in the ceiling of the Metrodome. Nice to see an upper deck in LF vs. RF.

The upper deck also looks to be pretty close to the height of the Cell as there appears to be 3 levels of luxery-like suites.

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2007, 07:01 PM
He also said something about the Twins having to sue (or something to that affect ) for the land they are building on.Eminent domain; they couldn't reach an agreement for a purchase price with the owners.

Scottiehaswheels
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
looking at the renderings it looks like an amalgam of different parks.. parts PNC, parts our stadium, parts Jacob's Field, part Coors Field. interesting to say the least...

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out in future years with the weather up there... Could we see the Twins playing their home opener in late April every year?

skobabe8
04-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Then stay put.

Why? So they still cant compete financially, but at least they will be warm?

Vernam
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Well isnt that the beauty of have a retractable roof? If its nice the game is still outside and if its cold, raining, snowing, you can close the roof.Global warming will soon make the Milwaukee and Toronto roofs obsolete. :angry:

I really dread seeing the Twins' payroll climb, but maybe a new park will ruin them the way it did the Reds.

Vernam

Norberto7
04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I was going to say, the sooner the better, as it would render the advantage of the Metrodome obsolete. But I looked into the numbers, and over the last five years, 54.9% of the Twins wins have come at home, which basically compares to the Sox' percentage of 54.6, or a difference of about two games over five years.

So I guess there isn't the inherent advantage I thought.

IlliniSox4Life
04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
I am happy for the Twins... they are doing it like they should. Retractable roof stadiums are hideous looking and the gameday atmosphere is greatly compromised. These stadiums feel like domes whether the roof is open or shut. 10-15 years from now, the teams with these ugly retractable roof stadiums will be crying for a real outdoor stadium like the baseball gods intended. The only retractable that doesnt compromise the expirience too much is Safeco.
I agree

looking at the renderings it looks like an amalgam of different parks.. parts PNC, parts our stadium, parts Jacob's Field, part Coors Field. interesting to say the least...

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out in future years with the weather up there... Could we see the Twins playing their home opener in late April every year?

I doubt they will get the advantage of opening late April every year. The owners of the other clubs would never allow it. The less April home games you play, the more money you can make on games later in the season.

Hitmen77
04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
This will make Tropicana Field the only non-retractable dome left. There is no artificial grass in any National League park and no more circular, cookie cutter parks at all. The horrible mistakes in ballpark design that took place from the 60s to the 90s are almost undone. Hooray for progress.

Tampa Bay and Toronto will be the only 2 teams left with artificial turf. There was a time when a majority of the NL teams had astroturf and, IIRC, the only NL parks that weren't multipurpose stadiums were Wrigley and Dodger Stadium.

Hitmen77
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM

I agree, most retractable roof stadiums - although they are 1000x better than the old domes - look more like office buildings than ballparks. I like Safeco too. I think it benefits from the fact that, in Seattle, they only need enough of a roof to keep the rain out and not one that totally seals up to provide heat or A/C.

As far as the Twins park - Yes, it is often cold in April, but this year is unusually bad. I don't remember cold/snow being this much of a problem to start a season since way back in the 80s.

skobabe8
04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree, most retractable roof stadiums - although they are 1000x better than the old domes - look more like office buildings than ballparks. I like Safeco too. I think it benefits from the fact that, in Seattle, they only need enough of a roof to keep the rain out and not one that totally seals up to provide heat or A/C.

As far as the Twins park - Yes, it is often cold in April, but this year is unusually bad. I don't remember cold/snow being this much of a problem to start a season since way back in the 80s.

I believe Safeco was the only retractable not designed by HOK.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Anything is better than losing balls in the ceiling of the Metrodome. Nice to see an upper deck in LF vs. RF.

The upper deck also looks to be pretty close to the height of the Cell as there appears to be 3 levels of luxery-like suites.
Ha! I went to the Rollerdome just this past summer, and i couldn't stop laughing when Thome hit a *white* pop-up into the *white* ceiling for a double!

Anyone else think this will lose Minny's unfair advantage? I hope so.

AZChiSoxFan
04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Then stay put.

:rolleyes:

Playing on a sandlot in Minneapolis during a blizzard, with 3 people watching is better baseball than playing in the HHH Dump-a-dome.

AZChiSoxFan
04-13-2007, 11:44 AM

I tend to agree with you. However, here in Phx, there's simply no other alternative.

White_Sock
04-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I really like how the upper deck seats in the outfield hang over the field and are steep for good views. The upper deck for the rest of the stadium looks too far away from the field.

AZChiSoxFan
04-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I believe Safeco was the only retractable not designed by HOK.

Chase Field in Phx was designed by Ellerbe Becket.

skobabe8
04-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Chase Field in Phx was designed by Ellerbe Becket.

Was it? Thats the group I was trying to think of for Seattle. They do a nice job, IMO. I would choose them over HOK based on their creativity.

TwinKess
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
County takes possession of the ballpark land. :bandance: Site prep work to begin shortly. Attached is the site in question.

briguy27
05-03-2007, 08:08 PM
That uppermost deck looks insanely high. We as Sox fans know all about that sort of thing. At least there's a roof.

the highness of sox park upper deck is overrated. i sat in the last row of the upper deck right behind homeplate there for game 2 of the alcs in 05 (aj dropped 3rd strike game), and i can honestly say i thought they were great.