PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 4-13

Lip Man 1
04-12-2007, 01:26 PM
April 13, 1965 - The Sox beat the Orioles in Baltimore on opening day, by the score of 5 - 3. The same two teams opened the 1964 season with the exact same score...except the Orioles won! Tommy John, making his White Sox debut, picked up the save for Gary Peters. The 1965 White Sox would win 95 games under Al Lopez in his last full season as Sox skipper.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/95/7c/e7ed_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-TOPPS-520-TOMMY-JOHN-WHITE-SOX-SHARP-CARD_W0QQitemZ260105372663QQihZ016QQcategoryZ60500 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting)

Lip

PaulDrake
04-12-2007, 01:42 PM
1965 was a major disappointment for a teen aged yours truly. The Sox were hot at the start, the Yankees were down. They were coming off of a very strong performance in 64. If ever there was a year, it should have been 1965, and for a couple of months it looked like it was. Injuries and lack of hitting did them in. I've hated the Twins ever since.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Paul:

From one of my stories:
1965 Season (Final Record: 95-67 2nd Place)

At first glace you have to ask, how does a team that wins 95 games in a season be considered a "disappointment." Thatís a legitimate question. The only reason the 65 White Sox are in here is because the 1964 White Sox finished one game behind the Yankees and closed the season winning nine straight. The 65 team finished seven games behind the Twins and had their old friend Mr. Injury make another appearance. The three year stretch from 1963 through 1965 may have been the best in franchise history. The White Sox won a total of 287 games, they averaged 96 wins per season yet couldnít reach the World Series.

The off season saw the Sox reacquire Johnny Romano as well as pick up two rookies who would become sensational with the club in the near future. Tommy Agee and Tommy John were acquired as part of a three team trade with Cleveland and Kansas City. Those moves made the Sox the favorites among a number of the media. Sox owner Art Allyn predicted in spring training the Sox would win the pennant. In the early part of the season, it looked like the media was right. The Sox got off to a blazing start winning 22 of their first 30 games and built up a 4 Ĺ game lead by mid May.

It was at this point when injuries hit two of the top pitchers in the league.
Gary Peters won 19 games in 1963... 20 games in 1964. However as he explained in his interview with WSI, early in 1965 he suffered a groin injury that hampered him all season. It changed his motion and resulted in a loss of effectiveness as well as a losing mark for the year. Juan Pizarro also a top shelf winner in 1963 and 1964 came down with a bad arm, basically missing most of the season. The loss of the top two left handers on one team in baseball was bad enough but the strain of so many close games over the years finally took its toll on Manager Al Lopez.

Lopez was hospitalized with a stomach ailment in June. That illness convinced him it was time to leave and he would wind up resigning in November. In the short term, his illness and the uncertainty of it broke the continuity of the team.

Throw in the "frozen baseball" controversy started by the Tigers in August and you had a season that while very successful in the win column, had all the tendencies of being on a roller coaster at Riverview. It also came up short from the championship standpoint.

Lip

fisk4ever
04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
:

From one of my stories:
1965 Season (Final Record: 95-67 2nd Place)

Throw in the "frozen baseball" controversy started by the Tigers in August and you had a season that while very successful in the win column, had all the tendencies of being on a roller coaster at Riverview. It also came up short from the championship standpoint.

Lip

What was the "frozen baseball" deal?

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
In the mid-1960s the White Sox were such an offensively anemic team that in order to keep other teams' offense in check the Sox would put the game balls in a freezer before bringing them up. This is when the Sox had some sort of machine that would bring the balls up to the ump behind homeplate.

Medford Bobby
04-13-2007, 09:41 AM
http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/10/ec/31_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-TOPPS-WHITE-SOX-TEAM-CARD-426_W0QQitemZ8757428137QQihZ016QQcategoryZ60494QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g):bandance:

stl_sox_fan
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
What was the "frozen baseball" deal?

I believe the Sox ground crew kept baseballs in moist storage a week or so before they would be used. This added a little more weight to the ball making it harder to smash out of the park.