PDA

View Full Version : Clemens and steroids?

PeteWard
04-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Funny how he is not mentioned anymore.

http://deadspin.com/sports/baseball/time-to-remind-everyone-of-the-clemens-steroid-business-again-251072.php

Fenway
04-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Funny how he is not mentioned anymore.

http://deadspin.com/sports/baseball/time-to-remind-everyone-of-the-clemens-steroid-business-again-251072.php

aww he is in the twilight of his career

All I know his he was a so-so pitcher in 94-96 and then became reborn with Toronto

PaulDrake
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
aww he is in the twilight of his career

All I know his he was a so-so pitcher in 94-96 and then became reborn with Toronto

He's not the only one with a "reborn" career in the mid and late 90s. I've always suspected Clemens, and wondered why his name wasn't up there with Bonds, McGwire, So-so, Giambi and the other usual suspects.

Dan Mega
04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Having a "reborn" career implicates nothing.

Unless you want to suggest that Jermaine Dye is on steroids.

PaulDrake
04-12-2007, 02:06 PM

Unless you want to suggest that Jermaine Dye is on steroids. I know Clemens is a sacred cow in a way that none of the suspected roiders ever was. Nevertheless, in the case of Dye, I think being healthy has allowed him to reach his potential. Clemens and Bonds for example had long stellar careers. Then came the eventual decline, follwed by voila, even bigger and better things than when they were in their supposed primes. That to my knowledge, has never happened in the history of baseball. I'd be glad for someone to find even one example of this in the pre steroid era.

Jermaine Dye http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dyeje01.shtml

I see a guy who started slow, began to excel a little, got hurt and then healthy again. I really don't see the comparison to Clemens or Bonds. As Dye ages and inevitably declines, come back to me if he suddenly reverses it, and starts mashing like never before in his late 30s or early 40s. Then I'll be suspicious. I'm very suspicious in the case of Clemens, and I know that makes a lot of baseball fans mad at me.

Fenway
04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I really thought Clemens was washed up in 1996.....

Something happened

sox1970
04-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Unless you want to suggest that Jermaine Dye is on steroids.

I assume everyone has dabbled at one point or another. It just makes things easier. Stats mean nothing to me anymore.

soxfan13
04-12-2007, 02:21 PM
I really thought Clemens was washed up in 1996.....

Something happened

So did the White Sox when they chose not to sign him:cool:

chaerulez
04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't say Clemens name has not come up. It has. But the media (ESPN) doesn't want to make it a story because they love Clemens. They want to marvel at his roid induced stats just like they do with Bonds. They want to talk about how he is the greatest pitcher of our generation like they with Bonds. People were whispering Clemens' name ever since the steroids thing broke, and it was a little exposed with the Grimsley situation. I'm 99 percent sure that Clemens is a roider. As I'm sure with the rest of the peole Grimsely named. The guy's career was already done, he had nothing to win by giving up those names.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
He does have the right warning flags. He started getting better as he got older, didn't lose a whole lot of velocity off of that fastball, and all of this is the mist of the steroids era. It's too bad because I liked him and he was one of those guys I didn't suspect until the Grimsely thing (I never suspected Palmerio either). But yea, his name has been more or less forgotten in the press, probably because he's not the polarizing figure that Barry Bonds is.