PDA

View Full Version : Gammons says Oprah has contacted Lucchino

Fenway
04-11-2007, 03:16 PM
OMG Gammons just mentioned on WEEI that Oprah has contacted Larry Lucchino to see of his interest in being involved with HER bid to buy the Cubs and wants Janet Marie Smith to do her magic at Wrigley

OPRAH?????

Smith BTW besides doing the renovations in Boston was heavily involved in the design of Camden Yards and Turner Field

http://www.businessofbaseball.com/JMS_interview.htm

jenn2080
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
OMG Gammons just mentioned on WEEI that Oprah has contacted Larry Lucchino to see of his interest in being involved with HER bid to buy the Cubs and wants Janet Marie Smith to do her magic at Wrigley

OPRAH?????

Smith BTW besides doing the renovations in Boston was heavily involved in the design of Camden Yards and Turner Field

Oprah and the Cubs :?: YIKES! Hopefully she can run them better than the Trib.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
:rolling:

Quote from my Cub fan co-worker: "That is horrible news."

Fenway
04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Oprah and the Cubs :?: YIKES! Hopefully she can run them better than the Trib.

She is someone I never even considered but

She local, she is a minority and she has the CASH

Janet Marie Smith is probably the only one that could fix Wrigley, it is amazing what she has done with Fenway

I see the Boston Globe threw her name out as well last Sunday

Would they play ball with Cuban?
It seems to me Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is emerging from the pack of some pretty big names to be the next Cubs owner. We're also hearing about groups that include Jerry Colangelo, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordan, Bill Murray, and George Will. Would Cuban scare commissioner Bud Selig? One National League owner told me, "He'd bring some much-needed personality to the game. He's not a traditionalist, so he'd do and say some wacky things. Whether we want that in baseball is something Bud and the owners will have to wrestle with. I think it would great for the fans of Chicago."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/04/08/theyre_missing_in_action?mode=PF

ewokpelts
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM

OPRAH?????

she's rich

getonbckthr
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
They would be the NL Yankees. As much as she annoys me one thing she despises is failure.

kittle42
04-11-2007, 04:56 PM
All annoyed by the Cubs would be infinitely more annoyed if this happened. Housewives across the country would be sporting the Cubbie blue.

jdm2662
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
She has lots of this: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. She can afford it.

She is also a black women. Baseball would drool over this. Don't think for a second they would love to have a minority majority owner. If she hires the right baseball people to run the operations, she should be fine. That's the key.

However, don't take these rumors seriously. There were plenty of rumors going around that Oprah, Michael Jordan, and Walter Payton all had interest in purchasing the Bears in the late 90s. And, the Bears weren't even for sale...

Fenway
04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Oprah being local would knock Cuban out under Selig rules

This could get very interesting

chisoxmike
04-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Hopefully she can run them better than the Trib.

Why "hopefully" Jenn?

HotelWhiteSox
04-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Monday April 15th - Vijayjay night

The Critic
04-12-2007, 12:51 AM

First 10,000 adults get one?
:D:

IlliniSox4Life
04-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Wow, this would be really interesting if it happens. I can't imagine Oprah knows a whole lot about baseball, but if she's got the money and she's a good business woman and would definately try to win and hire the right people to run it. It would be a media circus though, if it already isn't.

That said, she doesn't have Kenny Williams, and for that reason, she will fail.

ewokpelts
04-12-2007, 08:16 AM

This could get very interestingAnd minority. And even richer than Cuban.

Steelrod
04-12-2007, 08:25 AM

This could get very interesting
Cuban is not even a possibility!

PeteWard
04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I can see her giving her troops a pep talk: "Everyone has the power within themselves to succeed. You can win just by thinking positively about it."

wdelaney72
04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
They would be the NL Yankees. As much as she annoys me one thing she despises is failure.

And one thing she values even more than that is making money... she'd sacrifice winning for profit just like the Tribune company did.

This won't happen. Oprah's too smart to buy an overvalued product that has very little room for growth.

The Immigrant
04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
This won't happen. Oprah's too smart to buy an overvalued product that has very little room for growth.

Bingo, and so is Cuban. The Trib has already squeezed every last ounce of revenue from Wrigley and the park will need major repairs in the coming years, which the new owner will have to finance. Only an idiot (read: sentimental, lifelong millionaire Cub fan) would pay a premium for the Cubs.

skottyj242
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Where does it say Oprah in the article?

Jaffar
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Where does it say Oprah in the article?

I was looking for something similar but all I can find is rumors. I trust Fenway but I would like to see something in print about this.

Dan Mega
04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
She would make a profit off her investment in a heartbeat.

XplodingScorbord
04-13-2007, 10:31 AM

First 10,000 adults get one?
:D:

Yer killin' me!:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::r olling:

rdwj
04-13-2007, 10:37 AM

That's the truth. She's one of the worst possible owners for those that wish to see the Cubs continue to fall on their faces.

WSox597
04-15-2007, 08:59 AM
And after every Cub loss, she could interview Lou to see "how he feels" about the latest loss.

It could be a regular feature on her show.

Frontman
04-15-2007, 09:48 AM
All annoyed by the Cubs would be infinitely more annoyed if this happened. Housewives across the country would be sporting the Cubbie blue.

And that doesn't happen already? The beloved Cubbies have such a strong "I know nothing of baseball" fan-base, I wouldn't see much of a change.

As much as I don't like Oprah, I could see it actually being a good thing for the team if she bought them. She's local, and she does love Chicago enough not to mess with that team too much; other than to spend money on making the team better. (Looks at Cubs payroll this season, looks at their performance.)

Granted, all the money in the world might not do anything to improve it......

schmitty9800
04-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I was looking for something similar but all I can find is rumors. I trust Fenway but I would like to see something in print about this.
There is nothing in print, it was just mentioned on Gammons's radio show.

At this stage Oprah is as likely as any of the other names being thrown around. Cuban isn't going to happen (he's a Pirates fan)

DumpJerry
04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Cuban is not even a possibility!
More than you think. There are several reasons why Cuban won't be sitting in the Owner's Box at The Urinal any time soon:
1. MLB owners (75% approval is needed for a new ownership of a team to take over) are very conservative and don't like it when owners bad-mouth the umps. Cuban regularly slams the NBA refs.
2. If MLB owners did not like DeBartolo for the Sox, they will despise Cuban being in their club because of his ownspokeness.
3. Here's the clincher: Uncle Jerry does not like him. Jerry is one of the most powerful owners in MLB. Jerry and Bud are close friends. Jerry is not as influencial among his fellow NBA owners, his clout is in MLB. When Cuban bought the Mavs, there was only one vote among the owner against him. Guess who. Yup. Jerry!

A Cuban ownership of the Cubs would not be fun for us Sox fans. His personality would be in the news all the time-he would make Ozzie look like the shy reserved type. The sox could win three World Series titles in a row and Cuban would find a way to get his name and face in the news.

whitem0nkey
04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I guess Disney has thrown it hat in this, they are looking for the next Mickey Mouse operation and the Cubs franchise is a perfect fit.

RadioheadRocks
04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I guess if this goes through, when the inevitable Cub slump happens, instead of a Piniella tirade you'll have Oprah calling a clubhouse meeting, shouting "YOU get a hit, and YOU get a hit, and YOU get a hit...!!!" at each member of the team. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ziggy S
04-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor Dave Chapelle is one of the investors, as well as Oprah's baby daddy?

MsSoxVixen22
04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
People can say want they want about Oprah but I respect her and what she does. That being sai, I think I'll loose alittle respect for her if she buys the Cubs. But if she does but the Cubs, she might do a great job and maybe we'll finally get a Cubs Sox World Series and we'll finally see who's the better team in this city! :cool:

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
...if she does but the Cubs, she might do a great job and maybe we'll finally get a Cubs Sox World Series
Why in the world do you want to see that? The city would probably get burned down in the riots.
and we'll finally see who's the better team in this city! :cool: I don't need it to know who has been the better team for the vast majority of my life.

soxfan13
04-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Why in the world do you want to see that? The city would probably get burned down in the riots.
I don't need it to know who has been the better team for the vast majority of my life.

Yeah it would be horrible!:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah it would be horrible!:rolleyes: I hope that I never see the Cubs in a WS in my lifetime. No teal. I can just imagine the Chicago media fawning and slobbering over the Cubs while treating the Sox as an evil entity, ruining the fun for "all of Chicago, who want a Cubs championship so badly."

Frontman
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
People can say want they want about Oprah but I respect her and what she does. That being said, I think I'll loose alittle respect for her if she buys the Cubs. But if she does but the Cubs, she might do a great job and maybe we'll finally get a Cubs Sox World Series and we'll finally see who's the better team in this city! :cool:

Not trying to start a flame war, (please don't think that) but what exactly does Oprah do that's so respectable? She's just a popular person on TV who throws money around that fans follow. Her company is a marketing juggernaut; no question there. Her popularity coming up from where she started? An awesome story. She has a book club that encourages adults to read over watch tv, so that's a huge plus. But I think she certainly can't relate to the real world.

But I'd find her more respectable had she opened a school in a poor community of America rather than Africa (ie how about rebuilding some schools in Louisiana or Mississippi); and donated a few MILLION dollars to Katrina relief, instead of encouraging all of us working joes to donate.

(A bone I have to pick with all celebrities; really. The "If everyone can donate 50 dollars, we can make a differance" coming from a guy who will make 50 million this year is laughable.) She's worth hundred of million dollars, she could stand to give at least 1 or 2 million. I donate approximately 5% of what I make over the year to various causes, I'd love to see some of these celebrity folks do the same; instead of asking for me to quote "give a bit more."

I just never have understood her popularity and see how she is such a great individual. Great individuals give of themselves more than they get in return. Oprah (as well as others) could give quadrupile of what they currently doing and still come up getting more than they give.

soxfan13
04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Not trying to start a flame war, (please don't think that) but what exactly does Oprah do that's so respectable? She's just a popular person on TV who throws money around that fans follow. Her company is a marketing juggernaut; no question there. Her popularity coming up from where she started? An awesome story. She has a book club that encourages adults to read over watch tv, so that's a huge plus. But I think she certainly can't relate to the real world.

But I'd find her more respectable had she opened a school in a poor community of America rather than Africa (ie how about rebuilding some schools in Louisiana or Mississippi); and donated a few MILLION dollars to Katrina relief, instead of encouraging all of us working joes to donate.

(A bone I have to pick with all celebrities; really. The "If everyone can donate 50 dollars, we can make a differance" coming from a guy who will make 50 million this year is laughable.) She's worth hundred of million dollars, she could stand to give at least 1 or 2 million. I donate approximately 5% of what I make over the year to various causes, I'd love to see some of these celebrity folks do the same; instead of asking for me to quote "give a bit more."

I just never have understood her popularity and see how she is such a great individual. Great individuals give of themselves more than they get in return. Oprah (as well as others) could give quadrupile of what they currently doing and still come up getting more than they give.

Not a fan of hers BUT unless you have her tax documents in front of you. You cannot really know what she does and doesnt do for charity.

Fenway
04-17-2007, 01:21 PM
I have worked with a woman in Boston who Oprah replaced in Baltimore many years ago.

She says Oprah is the real deal and was very active in Baltimore before she came to Chicago.

Oprah comes to Chicago and Phil Donahue packed his bags and left for New York

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
But if she does but the Cubs, she might do a great job and maybe we'll finally get a Cubs Sox World Series and we'll finally see who's the better team in this city! :cool:

ummmm......I'm pretty sure I already have that figured out.

MsSoxVixen22
04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
ummmm......I'm pretty sure I already have that figured out.

Ummm....I just meant that everyone ELSE would find out. We all know the Sox are better. I said that because of how the media paints the Cubs as such a good team. That's all I meant. Geez. :redface:

Frontman
04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Not a fan of hers BUT unless you have her tax documents in front of you. You cannot really know what she does and doesnt do for charity.

Don't need the tax documents, as she and ABC did a good enough job documenting her charity work in Africa. Her show covered it. ABC News covered it. Access Hollywood/Extra/E! Entertainment/etc all covered it. It was all over the place, about how moving it was, yadda, yadda, yadda. All the while there are still schools in Louisiana that haven't reopened yet due to flood/huricanne damage.

And considering the coverage NFL players like Peyton Manning, Dieon Sanders, Brett Favre and others got in their relief efforts, Oprah would of trumped them all in coverage. If she donated say five million, every news outlet on the planet would of covered that. Heck, celebrities get their hair done a different way and that enters the news cycle.

All I'm saying is that is one problem I have with celebrities in general is the "We all need to give a bit more," when they'll make 40 mil on one film, for them to donate 1,000 bucks but then ask for us to do more. Come on, at least Dieon put up some major money, compared to that.

Not dumping that all on Oprah, gang. Just wondering on the "she does so much" comment.

soxfan13
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Ummm....I just meant that everyone ELSE would find out. We all know the Sox are better. I said that because of how the media paints the Cubs as such a good team. That's all I meant. Geez. :redface:

You jerk:tongue:

MsSoxVixen22
04-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Agreed.

Frontman
04-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Well, the Sox prove that every year with the Crosstown classic. Plus that little thing they call a championship trophy. :D:

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2007, 04:07 PM

I apologize. My bad.

the gooch
04-17-2007, 05:58 PM
But I think she certainly can't relate to the real world.

(A bone I have to pick with all celebrities; really. The "If everyone can donate 50 dollars, we can make a differance" coming from a guy who will make 50 million this year is laughable.) ...Why are poor American communities more worthy than poor African communities?

I won't normally defend Oprah but if everybody gave the same effort as Oprah, regardless of resources, there would be a lot more help given to those who need it.

Frontman
04-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Why are poor American communities more worthy than poor African communities?

I won't normally defend Oprah but if everybody gave the same effort as Oprah, regardless of resources, there would be a lot more help given to those who need it.

The one school in Africa, while is an incredible gesture, isn't going to make a world of difference to the entire continent. It was a PR move. If she re-opened a Louisiana school, it would of been just a part of a larger movement. It wouldn't be worthy of a 20/20 special report, as it would of just be a part of all of the relief efforts in LA and MS.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, I don't see what the Oprah name would bring to the Cubs, as the Cubbies are already a marketing giant.