PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the name of this pitch?

Madscout
04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm watching the Reds/D-backs game the other night before I go to bed, and one of the relievers comes in for I think the Reds. RHP vs. LHB. 1-2 count. The pitcher throws this pitch that goes straight for the batter and at the last second breaks back to catch the inside of the plate strike three. The batter didn't know what hit him, as he litterally turned away from it as if it was going to hit him and looked back in disbelief that it was a strike.

soxfan13
04-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Screwball?:?:

Madscout
04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
They were saying a back door fastball, but I have never heard of that nor did I think it looked like one. The game was on FSN, so I don't trust a word that the announcers say.

soxfan13
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
They were saying a back door fastball, but I have never heard of that nor did I think it looked like one. The game was on FSN, so I don't trust a word that the announcers say.

Backdoor fastball is pretty much a screwball if I am remembering correctly.

daveeym
04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a 2 seam fastball/back door fastball or whatever you'd like to call it. Generally a "back door" fastball is when the pitch is on the outside corner but it's the same pitch regardless. It probably just looked odd since it was an inside pitch to a lefty and many that throw it with a lot of movement stay away from it there out of fear of the hit by pitch.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a 2 seam fastball/back door fastball or whatever you'd like to call it. Generally a "back door" fastball is when the pitch is on the outside corner but it's the same pitch regardless. It probably just looked odd since it was an inside pitch to a lefty and many that throw it with a lot of movement stay away from it there out of fear of the hit by pitch.

Yes, a two-seamer with a little more pressure from the index finger than the middle finger on the ball and it will run back a bit.

FedEx227
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Either screwball or back-door fastball.

Or it could also be a variation on the curve that Maddux typically throws where he only uses his middle finger as the grip, I've seen that from not only Maddux but some of my friends have quite a lot of the same bite to it.

RoobarbPie
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
GYROBALL! It's about time somebody saw one for real.

Jjav829
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm watching the Reds/D-backs game the other night before I go to bed, and one of the relievers comes in for I think the Reds. RHP vs. LHB. 1-2 count. The pitcher throws this pitch that goes straight for the batter and at the last second breaks back to catch the inside of the plate strike three. The batter didn't know what hit him, as he litterally turned away from it as if it was going to hit him and looked back in disbelief that it was a strike.

Sounds like a good 2-seam fastball, which, from a right-handed pitcher, should break away from the batter.