04-11-2007, 12:22 PM
:thumbsup: Great find.

Risk
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Awesome.:D:

Risk

Lip Man 1
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
The night of the final night game at the original Comiskey Park, WGN-TV used the same music by Sinatra to open the broadcast. They had a montage along the lines of the you tube clip. Dan Rohn was stationed at points around the park during the telecast including standing on the roof.

Both were very nicely done.

Lip

Fenway
04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
:whiner:

I loved that park

veeter
04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Very cool. I have a lot of great memories in that park.

ShoelessJoeS
04-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Wow, pure gold.

Sad
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
thanks man
brings back alot of memories...

24thStFan
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I have lots of good memories of old Comiskey, too. The scoreboard was great!

DSpivack
04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I was there only once, at least that I remember, at the age of six. I still remember sitting in the first row of the upper deck in right field. Still have a picture standing outside the Comiskey sign before the game. Odd considering my family was/is mostly Cub fans, and I wasn't really a Sox fan until 1993.

skobabe8
04-11-2007, 07:03 PM
That was awesome.

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Ahhhh....the old Baseball Palace of the world. Always brings a tear to my eye; makes me wish I could go back in time and get season tickets.

Nice tribute.

palehozenychicty
04-11-2007, 07:46 PM
:whiner:

I loved that park

That park made me a baseball fan. The team made me a White Sox fan.

pauliemvp
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Really great. It gave me goosebumps.

hula
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Someone please pass me a kleenex...... :whiner:

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know where I could find the song by Steve Dahl "Baseball Summers"? He made a video along with it at the end of the 1990 season. The montage was pretty cool from what I recall.

thomas35forever
04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow. It makes me wish I wasn't a year old during the park's final season.

mwc44
04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Nicely done... I still miss (and still taste) the taco/burrito cart in the Picnic Area in left field.

BV2005
04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
that video was very well done. I was there once but I was too young to remember it.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
At three years old, I was at the last night game and left after the fifth...oh how I regret that! I miss the old ballpark. There was nothing else like it and there will be nothing else like it...EVER. Sadly, I think her time had come.

soxinem1
04-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I attended every game the last year of Comiskey Park, even left my brother's wedding reception to keep the streak alive.

As much as they have made the new place better over the years, nothing will ever compare to Comiskey.

To summarize, I'll put it this way: I could be blind and knew when I entered the park. The scents, the echos of sounds, the sounds themselves had their own distinct presence.

I could always feel Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Appling, and the scores of legends who walked on the same dirt as I have sitting in my 1983 AL West Division Champs cup. They can say what they want about Wrigley, it never had the feel of Comiskey.

My son was born five years after Comiskey hosted it's last game, and much like his Dad, he thinks Comiskey Park was a cool place just from seeing the mass assemblage of photos I have.

That says a lot when someone who was never there thinks it was a great place. Just think of how lucky all of us who had been there are.

I almost got the feeling back watching this video, thanks a bunch for finding it.

DannyCaterFan
04-12-2007, 04:40 PM
A very nice tribute, and a touching one as well ! I grew up watching the Sox play in that park. Attended my first game on opening day in 1960. Was there for the last 2 games in 1990 as well. I am a season ticket holder in the new park, but can't help looking back at the spot where "Old Comiskey" was everytime I walk through the parking lot now.
I knew every nook and cranny of that park, and loved going there. I can still remember the sounds of the game, and the aroma of the food. I have come to really like the new park, but real Baseball was played at "Old Comiskey Park".

tick53
04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Ive got an older computer that takes forever to bring up You Tube. I'm gonna watch it on my brothers though. I have to upgrade!!

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Unfortunately, I never went to Old Comiskey nor do I even remember it since I was born in 1988. However, I do have a book about the place and even a beautiful replica by the Danbury Mint. I know I would have loved the park even though I was never able to visit.

paciorek1983
04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
That park made me a baseball fan. The team made me a White Sox fan.

Same here. I miss the place, but I guess it was time for it to go.

On another note about the old park.....
Seeing the clips of the old monster scoreboard should make everyone realize that the current scoreboard ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!! It's time for a replacement, one that is similar to the old monster!

Ventura4Pres
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Great vid. I was only at a couple games as a youngster. I wish I could remember it.

Frontman
04-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Wow. That brought back a ton of memories for me. I just remember thinking the first time how huge it looked to me at 8 years old.

Thanks for the find!

Bucky F. Dent
04-13-2007, 11:08 PM
My God, I loved that place.

Rounding_Third
04-14-2007, 10:32 AM
From my "Knothole Gang" youth to pregames at McCuddy's; from $2 Gen Admission seats on the outfield wall to season tickets behind the visitor's dugout; from the underground ball delivery to the rooftop shots; from the Sunday picnic DH's to the post game, on-field fireworks displays; and from Tad's steak sandwiches to the urinal troughs (oh, the terror at 6 years old!), it was a magical place to grow up. From '67 to '72 to '77 to '83 to '90 there were so many great moments and I probably saw at least 500 games there.

Thanks for the link!

tacosalbarojas
04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Excellent viewing. Thanks for sharing. Seeing how many SOX fans - even grown ones nowadays - have little to zero experience at Comiskey I, I feel fortunate to have been born when I was and to have experienced my formative baseball years at one of the true original neighborhood ballparks.

Frontman
04-14-2007, 08:29 PM
to the urinal troughs (oh, the terror at 6 years old!)

Glad to see I wasn't the only kid freaked out by the concept.

Law11
04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow.. just wow..

I have an old VHS video the Suntimes gave out with a subscription back in 90 called 80 years of History that is a great find if you can find it out there. I'd dup it but the VHS tape is so bad now I wouldnt waste the time.. it was narrated by George Wendt..

STRETCH!!!
04-14-2007, 10:38 PM
The prices.

$10 and you were set for the day/night. I know things have changed, and there's no going back. But, ..........

MeteorsSox4367
04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
The memories of going to Sox and Sting games there and working for SportService in high school ('84 and '85). Old Comiskey was awesome. I still drive by every day from work and think about when it was there. Even going to games now, I like to stop where the old home plate was. The video piece was well done.

TomBradley72
04-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Home away from home for twenty years. It was like a huge old house where you find something new every time you visit. There were times when we went to games to have a beer and BE at Comiskey as much as we were there to see the game. Some pretty bad teams in the late 70's and late 80's.

The Racehorse
04-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I never made it to the old park... :(:

... and that was an awesome video! :cool:

tebman
04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Home away from home for twenty years. It was like a huge old house where you find something new every time you visit. There were times when we went to games to have a beer and BE at Comiskey as much as we were there to see the game. Some pretty bad teams in the late 70's and late 80's.
So true. It's easy to romanticize it now after it's been gone for 17 years, but I know from my own experience that it was like a massive funhouse when I was a kid. So big, so many ramps, levels, nooks and crannies that I felt like I was a mountain explorer. And there was a baseball game to boot!

When I got older it always felt comfortably tired like your grandmother's old house. Gobs of paint on the seats, layers of cables hanging in the concourses that had been added over 70 years, the feel/smell/sound of old concrete. But in the '80s it was apparent that it was near the end of its life -- concrete was falling from the upper deck in right field (like it is now at Wrigley Field), the lights sometimes didn't work right, and structural steel had to be replaced in the grandstand.

Sad to see it go, but everything has a lifetime. USCF is building its own personality and the renovations have been huge steps in the right direction. Just hope that it can hold up at least 80 years like the old joint did.

MDF3530
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:!!!

God, I had some good times there. I used to sit in rightfield and heckle the other teams' rightfielders (Ruben Sierra and Jose Canseco were my favorite targets :D: ).

Foulke You
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Great vid. I remember my first ballgame at that park like it was yesterday. My Dad and Uncle took me to see the Sox play the Tribe. It was '84 and Floyd Banister was on the hill for the Sox and pitched a great game but the Sox fell 3-2 on a dinger from then young Indians slugger Julio Franco. (It's amazing that Franco is STILL playing ball.) I know its cliche to say but the grass really was so green when you walked up that ramp into the grandstands. To a 6 year old kid, I was pretty awestruck at how amazing the park looked after only seeing the Sox on a fuzzy 19" TV that my parents had. I agree with a previous poster that said Wrigley could never capture that "feel" that Old Comiskey had. Even Fenway Park which is a ballpark I really like, doesn't quite do have that feel either.

However, as great as those memories of Old Comiskey are, we have a great 16 year old ballpark now and have made some pretty good memories there too:
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20051130/wkoner30/1konerko.jpg

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/10/24/PH2005102402175.jpg

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20051024/whigh24/1lidge.jpg